• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's Shattered Space DLC Launches to Mixed Reviews, Reportedly only 10+ Hours Long

Is it the same quality as Cyberpunk DLC?

I think the issue is mainly people were hoping it would elevate the entire game not just have a small slice of something new. Like people were wanting Starfield 2.0 with everything fixed and suddenly an amazing game. That was never gonna happen imo. DLC is what DLCs usually are, just a bit more Starfield.

Absolutely not. This is a standard Bethesda expansion since Fallout 3. A main quest thats a bit dry and has a big choice at the end that most probably wont matter until Starfield 2 and a number of sidequests ranging from ok (the old man and his grand daughter were a highlight) to wtf (scientific method).
The worse part is the game goes under 30fps while roaming the planet on series x. Unacceptable.

No idea why this is being compared to Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty.

CDPR failed at making their own version of a basic Far Cry style game. Launched it with bugs.

Starfield is much more ambitious on system level. Fixing it means putting stuff on every planet and making galaxy exploration interesting.

Far bigger task.

In the meantime we get next best thing. A handcrafted planet to explore.

ValiantInstance

Neo Member
Absolutely not. This is a standard Bethesda expansion since Fallout 3. A main quest thats a bit dry and has a big choice at the end that most probably wont matter until Starfield 2 and a number of sidequests ranging from ok (the old man and his grand daughter were a highlight) to wtf (scientific method).
The worse part is the game goes under 30fps while roaming the planet on series x. Unacceptable.
I look at Far Harbor and this. It's hard to come to any conclusion other than Bethesda are going backwards at an alarming pace.

Nothing will change as they are just currently patting themselves on the back saying 'there are people who like it'. There are people out there who like having their balls stepped on. It's a non statement.

CDPR failed at making their own version of a basic Far Cry style game. Launched it with bugs.

Starfield is much more ambitious on system level. Fixing it means putting stuff on every planet and making galaxy exploration interesting.

Far bigger task.

In the meantime we get next best thing. A handcrafted planet to explore.

TZBmov8.png
z8aSclZ.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I look at Far Harbor and this. It's hard to come to any conclusion other than Bethesda are going backwards at an alarming pace.

Nothing will change as they are just currently patting themselves on the back saying 'there are people who like it'. There are people out there who like having their balls stepped on. It's a non statement.

Are you playing it? It's good

Thief1987

I loaded this up to give it a go and see how bad it is....I'm absolutely hooked. Proper chilled vibes and classic bethesda rpg stuff.

I guess the world moved on and they delivered something in their wheelhouse which is no longer good to the wider gaming community or something.

I'm scratching my head because I'm enjoying it a lot.
Are you on your second playthrough?

Last edited:

Roberts

Are you playing in performance mode? I had the same problem and switching to performance mode didn't seem to make a lot of difference. After quitting/restarting the game it ran so much better.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK, so I enjoyed the DLC. I think it was enjoyable. Maybe its due to the fact Im coming from buying the ultimate edition upgrade and not purchasing the DLC separately.

If you like starfield you will enjoy it i think.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

to say someone tolerates starfield is completely off the mark. I think this guy, and a lot of the media and fans can not grasp that theres people that enjoy starfield.

I completed far harbour and cant remember it. lol. I am sure it was great I guess, by how much people are going on about it.

The thing I dont get about this video, is Starfield is literally fallout in space with poor planet design. Its a Bethesda game, warts and all. It's literally fallout 4.

My issues with Starfield is its too sterile and lacks the dark humour of fallout.

Last edited:

Hugare

You dont need to say nonsense about Cyberpunk in order to defend Starfield

Cyberpunk was much more ambitious than any Far Cry game. Hell, it turned out to be more ambitious than even Starfield. For starters, it has no loadings.

If you actually judge the game itself instead of still believing on pre-release lies, that is

Far bigger task.
No it isnt. What is it doing on system level that is so ambitious compared to past Bethesda games?

It's the same old Bethesda template, but now with procedurally generated "planets" (blocks) that you can fly to (sorta) in space with your ship (that is nothing more than just confined chunk of space t hat serves as a corridor between planets. Just window dressing)

Its just a bunch of smoke and mirrors, but the underlyin technology is just same ol' loading gallore between areas

NMS is WAY more ambitious and impressive on a system level, and Hello Games managed to figure out a better way to populate their planets with 45 employees than Bethesda did with 10x more people, money and time.

Last edited:
You dont need to say nonsense about Cyberpunk in order to defend Starfield

Cyberpunk was much more ambitious than any Far Cry game. Hell, it turned out to be more ambitious than even Starfield. For starters, it has no loadings.

If you actually judge the game itself instead of still believing on pre-release lies, that is

No it isnt. What is it doing on system level that is so ambitious compared to past Bethesda games?

It's the same old Bethesda template, but now with procedurally generated "planets" (blocks) that you can fly to (sorta) in space with your ship (that is nothing more than just confined chunk of space t hat serves as a corridor between planets. Just window dressing)

Its just a bunch of smoke and mirrors, but the underlyin technology is just same ol' loading gallore between areas

NMS is WAY more ambitious and impressive on a system level, and Hello Games managed to figure out a better way to populate their planets with 45 employees than Bethesda did with 10x more people, money and time.
Dunno where to start really.

First of all, Starfield is all system generated. From lip syncing to animations to the vistas you see. Their procedural generation follows rules of what makes a beautiful landscape.

Compare this to stuff that Cyberpunk struggled with. Even increasing npcs on roads used to crash it.

Hugare

Aw fuck! It’s not real?
Come On Please GIF by NBA

Dunno where to start really.

First of all, Starfield is all system generated. From lip syncing to animations to the vistas you see. Their procedural generation follows rules of what makes a beautiful landscape.

Compare this to stuff that Cyberpunk struggled with. Even increasing npcs on roads used to crash it.
Lip synching is also generated in Cyberpunk, you know? (and looks some generations better than Starfield, btw)

"Their procedural generation follows rules of what makes a beautiful landscape.". Yeah well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

"Compare this to stuff that Cyberpunk struggled with. Even increasing npcs on roads used to crash it"

Dude, Starfield didnt have a city map and vehicle at launch lol

There's no point in arguying. If you see gold in this turd, good for you.

Just entered this thread to see the reception of the DLC, and surprise surprise, 30% approval rate on Steam

Just had to reply to your post cause I thought it was absurd, but carry on

Lip synching is also generated in Cyberpunk, you know? (and looks some generations better than Starfield, btw)
It isnt.

Its all is scripted.

All npc interactions happen at set place, even their poses are hand crafted.

Do you think people can’t see all this. Lol.

Dude, Starfield didnt have a city map and vehicle at launch lol
I already addressed this. Its an over ambitious game. They are still building it. And they had a lot ready at release.

There's no point in arguying. If you see gold in this turd, good for you.
I have 100 hrs on base game. It was played a lot by a lot of people. You don’t achieve that if game isn’t good.

Just looking at screenshot thread, I find it captivating.

Just entered this thread to see the reception of the DLC, and surprise surprise, 30% approval rate on Steam

Just had to reply to your post cause I thought it was absurd, but carry on
At some point you will have to start thinking for yourself.

King Dazzar

to say someone tolerates starfield is completely off the mark. I think this guy, and a lot of the media and fans can not grasp that theres people that enjoy starfield.
Nah, he mentions that and gets it. What he does think though, is that Bethesda are leaving behind the discerning OG fans of previous Bethesda RPG games. And for me he's right. 1000+ hrs Skyrim, still thinking about playing again at some point. Starfield 40+ hrs, never want to touch it again.

Hugare

This does not invalidate hand crafting aspect.

Bethesda also does procedural generation, then touch up and call it hand crafted.

The fact that all npcs stand at certain locations in certain poses gives it all very hand crafted feel.

This has nothing to do with invalidating hand crafting or not

You said it wasnt, but it is generated, as proven by the video.

And to be honest, its pretty telling when even after touching up animations by hand it still looks worse than generated by JALI

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nah, he mentions that and gets it. What he does think though, is that Bethesda are leaving behind the discerning OG fans of previous Bethesda RPG games. And for me he's right. 1000+ hrs Skyrim, still thinking about playing again at some point. Starfield 40+ hrs, never want to touch it again.

Ok i get that, but I'm around 200 hours in and continue enjoying it.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Starfield has a specific vibe.

Chill music, jetpack, alien worlds to explore.

If it works, it works for you.

My mistake was comparing it with Skyrim. I think its a different game than that. Still would like galaxy exploration to be more meaningful.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Complains that CP2077 isn't ambitious meanwhile Bethesda has been using the same engine for 20 years.

Bethesda just makes loot and shoot. If that's addictive enough for you great.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Complains that CP2077 isn't ambitious meanwhile Bethesda has been using the same engine for 20 years.

Bethesda just makes loot and shoot. If that's addictive enough for you great.
It's not just loot and shoot. They put a lot of effort into simulation aspects that most people apparently don't really notice or care about. All the solar systems are lit correctly with the stars influencing the lighting on the planets and moons. If you land on this moon on one side, it's night. On the other side it's day time. You can't see the planets in the sky in the 2nd picture below depending on which part of the planet you land on. In that pic I'm right on the edge of the sunrise, and you can see that on the planet scan or even see the part of the ground turning orange right on that line and changing as the planet rotates. The lengths of the days are all different as well and coincide with the timing of the planet rotation and influence your sleep / wait durations. You can build up any of these with detailed mineral extraction bases and link them all together. It's honestly something you can completely ignore in the game and not even realize its there, but they approach it like a galaxy simulation.

Last edited:
It's not just loot and shoot. They put a lot of effort into simulation aspects that most people apparently don't really notice or care about. All the solar systems are lit correctly with the stars influencing the lighting on the planets and moons. If you land on this moon on one side, it's night. On the other side it's day time. You can't see the planets in the sky in the 2nd picture below depending on which part of the planet you land on. In that pic I'm right on the edge of the sunrise, and you can see that on the planet scan or even see the part of the ground turning orange right on that line and changing as the planet rotates. The lengths of the days are all different as well and coincide with the timing of the planet rotation and influence your sleep / wait durations. You can build up any of these with detailed mineral extraction bases and link them all together. It's honestly something you can completely ignore in the game and not even realize its there, but they approach it like a galaxy simulation.
They had a ton of simulation aspects in Skyrim too. Mostly npc related. I think its toned down in Starfield, due to complexity I guess.

Top Bottom