• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's Shattered Space DLC Launches to Mixed Reviews, Reportedly only 10+ Hours Long

Zacfoldor

it's the same length as cp77 dlc...
Is it the same quality as Cyberpunk DLC?

I think the issue is mainly people were hoping it would elevate the entire game not just have a small slice of something new. Like people were wanting Starfield 2.0 with everything fixed and suddenly an amazing game. That was never gonna happen imo. DLC is what DLCs usually are, just a bit more Starfield.

BigLee74

Gordon Ramsay Hello GIF by UFC
Cheers! How could I forget about Topher Topher ’s one and only OT 😂

Carry on it would seem. This is indeed the thread for the whiny unwashed who don’t own/have no intention of owning the Starfield DLC to come into and continue their relentless bashing 😂

JackMcGunns

I know you aren't trying to compare this to a masterpiece?
How is this doing in reviews?

I know you're not trying to compare a full retail game to a DLC. Ooooh the hypocricy.

I hope you caught on that my example was to highlight the fallacy of your statement. You simply spoke about length and said 10hrs? I hope it's priced accordigly. So based on length, they most definitely can be compared.

Dunno, there's probably no way to answer this objectively.
If you've never played cp77 before and got it with the DLC, then probably yeah.
If you played cp77 at launch and then dropped it because of "the issues", but came back for the DLC, then probably no.

Nydius

Man, the Pure Xbox review is brutal.

Especially this little blurb:

We've still awarded Shattered Space an "average" score, and that's all based on the fact that we enjoy the core shooting and exploring - remember, plenty of folk don't even like these parts - but everything else here just feels very badly judged.

Oof.

I think the issue is mainly people were hoping it would elevate the entire game not just have a small slice of something new. Like people were wanting Starfield 2.0 with everything fixed and suddenly an amazing game. That was never gonna happen imo. DLC is what DLCs usually are, just a bit more Starfield.

That’s fine, if it were cheaper. But when they’re charging the same price as Phantom Liberty for this, I don’t think it was terribly unreasonable for people to expect more than what was delivered. Just my 2c.

Xbox Era ... lmao, gave it a 9/10,
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals
He liked the game. People have opinions.
Most of his are REALLY bad ones, TBF.
So now the question is whether Bethesda is phoning in the rest of their work on Starfield because its a lost cause. It would not surprise me.
Shifting development to Elder Scrolls / Fallout right now is the right play.

Last edited:

Kacho

Shifting development to Elder Scrolls / Fallout right now is the right play
Might as well. I’m a huge BGS fanboy and I think Starfield is painfully dull. The progression and character development are ass.

If I start a new character in Fallout 3/4 I’ll be playing until the sun comes up. I fired up Starfield on Monday and went back to playing Dragon Age Origins instead. Baka.

I got to admit that I am incredibly surprised.

People who still stuck around after Starfield will literally love any Bethesda Slop poured into their troughs. Like they are that fabled devoted audience that doesn't ask questions but consumes product.

I am surprised they developed something of a standard.

Might as well. I’m a huge BGS fanboy and I think Starfield is painfully dull. The progression and character development are ass.

If I start a new character in Fallout 3/4 I’ll be playing until the sun comes up. I fired up Starfield on Monday and went back to playing Dragon Age Origins instead. Baka.
I enjoyed Starfield, but I don't love the open world random quest nature of games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout. I actually liked the guided questing in Starfield as exploration has never been for me. That said, it's clearly not the game for BGS fans. Just move on, yeah.
I got to admit that I am incredibly surprised.

People who still stuck around after Starfield will literally love any Bethesda Slop poured into their troughs. Like they are that fabled devoted audience that doesn't ask questions but consumes product.

I am surprised they developed something of a standard.
You're missing what happened. BGS fans DIDN'T like Starfield.

Last edited:

Kacho

I enjoyed Starfield, but I don't love the open world random quest nature of games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout. I actually liked the guided questing in Starfield as exploration has never been for me. That said, it's clearly not the game for BGS fans. Just move on, yeah.
I’d be more inclined to suffer through the dullness if it had decent progression. BGS RPGs started with pen and paper inspired progression. Ever since Skyrim they keep trying to reinvent the wheel and it’s become so basic. There’s nothing compelling about leveling in Starfield.

I played it, came with the game for me, yes I was a dumb dumb and got it with the game. I thought it was going to be like their other games dlc's, but I was wrong. It is bad, dialog, writing, forced path progress... its not worth it. Its another thing that just should have been in the base game...

Zacfoldor

It seems thesw days games just serve to give money to You tubers...as one said "I earned more money with My You tube videos about Concord than Sony.

And it's not You tubers problem the problem is that some Big videogames have lack of Quality specially on the writting side. This becomes worse when they Game is a single player story oriented one.
I didn't know where you were going with that but you pulled it out in the second sentence.

Starfield is much better than it was at launch, it’s a good game, but I can see why some people don’t like it. Space is a little too empty for the typical Bethesda formula to work well. It’s still a good game, not great, but good, if you adjust your expectations and give it a chance. However, at launch, I totally understand why it caused so much frustration. The bugs only made its flaws stand out more.

They just want to exist in a cosy fanboi make believe community. An alternative reality. One of the guys I spoke to was nice enough, but yeah, full on delusional.
I like Nick, and I think Jesse is a good reviewer, actually. It's non-video game things we don't agree on.
so... based in the steam numbers, are we having a Concord situation in our hands again?
About half a billion dollars off that situation. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
so... based in the steam numbers, are we having a Concord situation in our hands again?
Why will this be Concord situation?

Do you see anything off putting about it?

Whenever i see a stream, i feel like I should be playing it. Though have decided to wait for at least 2-3 expansions before starting a playthrough.

SJRB

Gold Member
im talking about the expansion/DLC. how many new players increased because of it?

This DLC is not pulling in any new players. Some of the people who enjoyed the base game will try it, but this won't reignite interest outside of the core fanbase.

0EaMroE.png

But note that the all-time peak is of course nothing like the Concord situation.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It still isn't comparable to Concord. It can still be called a flop sales wise, but it isn't in danger of being pulled from sale.
i was taking about market rejection. I don't think anyone thinks Bethesda or Starfield are in danger of being closed/refunded
🤣😂.

it seems like it had a little bump.
kXy0LZo.jpeg

S0ULZB0URNE

I know you're not trying to compare a full retail game to a DLC. Ooooh the hypocricy.

I hope you caught on that my example was to highlight the fallacy of your statement. You simply spoke about length and said 10hrs? I hope it's priced accordigly. So based on length, they most definitely can be compared.

You tried knocking a game that is a GOTY contender by comparing it to what I'm reading is a poorly received bugg filled mess.

Honestly starfields flop is kinda mind blowing

Skyrim is one of the most GOTY awarded games of all time. Fallout 4 made what? 700M opening weekend or something like that? It’s basically on the level of if Rockstar or Naughty Dog released a critical and commercial bomb

diffusionx

Gold Member
Honestly starfields flop is kinda mind blowing

Skyrim is one of the most GOTY awarded games of all time. Fallout 4 made what? 700M opening weekend or something like that? It’s basically on the level of if Rockstar or Naughty Dog released a critical and commercial bomb
They had like eight years and unlimited amounts of money to make exactly the game they wanted... And this was it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Makes it even MORE mind blowing

They release Skyrim, great but insanely buggy. But hey it's an ambitious game releasing on PS360 consoles so everyone's like "meh we'll deal with it".

Then they release Fallout, not nearly as good as Skyrim, but equally buggy. Releasing on PS4 and Xbox One so old hardware is not an excuse anymore. The quests are bad, a lot of mechanics poorly implemented, graphics are mediocre at best. People start wondering what the hell is going on.

Then they release Fallout 76. Need I say more.

Then they release Starfield. Their first original title in decades. Spent god know how much time and how many dollars on it. And guess what, it's not even nearly as good as Skyrim. Buggy, extremely poor quest design, terrible game flow with loading screens up the wazoo, archaic mechanics, overall just an aggressively mediocre experience.

At this point Skyrim seems like a fluke. Bethesda is just a super mid developer at best, touting Todd Howard as some S-tier videogame genius who in reality hasn't made an actual good game in more than a decade.

They release Skyrim, great but insanely buggy. But hey it's an ambitious game releasing on PS360 consoles so everyone's like "meh we'll deal with it".

Then they release Fallout, not nearly as good as Skyrim, but equally buggy. Releasing on PS4 and Xbox One so old hardware is not an excuse anymore. The quests are bad, a lot of mechanics poorly implemented, graphics are mediocre at best. People start wondering what the hell is going on.

Then they release Fallout 76. Need I say more.

Then they release Starfield. Their first original title in decades. Spent god know how much time and how many dollars on it. And guess what, it's not even nearly as good as Skyrim. Buggy, extremely poor quest design, terrible game flow with loading screens up the wazoo, archaic mechanics, overall just an aggressively mediocre experience.

At this point Skyrim seems like a fluke. Bethesda is just a super mid developer at best, touting Todd Howard as some S-tier videogame genius who in reality hasn't made an actual good game in more than a decade.
Think you just nailed it. Shame. I was so hyped for starfield

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User

Does anyone seriously expect Bethesda to be capable of writing a story on the level of Phantom Liberty? Does Todd even care about story?

Top Bottom