• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's Shattered Space DLC Launches to Mixed Reviews, Reportedly only 10+ Hours Long

GHG

The paradox is that if you look at some of the reviews and general sentiment this Starfield DLC should actually fare worse than Concord...

Well the Steam reviews for shattered space are worse than they were for Concord.

I didn't even think such a thing was possible.

Shin-Ra

Add the same loading time and Astro Bot will easily be a 60 hour game.
I expected this sooner tbh.

Boy I do hope you understand how those 10 hours in open world RPG and 10 hours in something like Space Marine 2 are not actually the same hours. You don’t waste up to 5 hours on Emil’s writing and needless traversal along with loading screens in Space Marine 2, you’re getting condensed cinematic action experience. You’re also don’t spend your time on inventory management, badly written dialogue trees, crafting and other BethRPG stuff.

Look, I can’t say that I hate Starfield, but this game has a tremendous talent of wasting your time on the most trivial actions possible like finding ammo or traversal.

So yeah, 10 hours for RPG content in general is small, in case of Bethesda games you can call this DLC almost tiny for the asking price.
And this. RPGs, looters, open-world or just games with a lot of travel time inherently have a lot of padding. I’m sure some were pushing how the base game could be played for 100+ hours. For half the price of a new game it’s not much in comparison. DLC’s nearly always poor value compared to the base game but when the base game is Starfield, the equation’s even less forgiving.

JackMcGunns

You tried knocking a game that is a GOTY contender by comparing it to what I'm reading is a poorly received bugg filled mess.

I didn’t try knocking anything, you see that’s how your mind must be working, but it’s not the case at all. You said we better price games according to length, and without me giving any other context, I said Astro Bot is about 10 hrs, acknowledging that it’s a great game and exposing the weak argument that a game should be priced based on length.

Capiche?

I enjoyed Starfield, but I don't love the open world random quest nature of games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout. I actually liked the guided questing in Starfield as exploration has never been for me. That said, it's clearly not the game for BGS fans. Just move on, yeah.
In Skyrim I enjoyed just follow the quest lines. For FO games I do the quest but I also enjoy just randomly exploring but while I'm on my way to another quest/town.

Kangx

I seen someone on twitter stated the performance is shit in 60fps mode. I went to youtube to check out some videos to confirm this. The game is dip into 30 at 900p With FSR.

We seen wukong need frame gen from 1080p to get 60fps and now starfield with 900p and extremely unstable frame rate.

The ps5 and the series x are so cooked. Even as consoles exclusives, we are seeing these poor performance and image quality.

ValiantInstance

Neo Member
The last Bethesda thing I actually liked was Far Harbor. Before that Skyrim.

I'm done with them. Got burned buying the premium edition of this game and have no intention of playing the DLC. Since playing Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty it never occured to me how far behind the curve Bethesda are. They're in the stone age in every respect.

Last edited:
Theres some idiots here saying but Phantom Liberty is also 10 hours. Besides the fact that they're absolutely wrong and its actually 30 hours or so considering theres more to the main quest in the DLC story-wise and content-wise, the entire Phantom Liberty has a more vastly entertaining and well-written experience than the entire Starfield base game lmao. I'd rather play 10 hours of Uncharted 2 than 100 hours of Starfield any fucking day so when it comes to Starfield being 10 hours, that means its 10 hours of below average stuff, if it had more content then the price might make up for it. Anyway it's at mostly negative on steam so, yeah.

S0ULZB0URNE

I didn’t try knocking anything, you see that’s how your mind must be working, but it’s not the case at all. You said we better price games according to length, and without me giving any other context, I said Astro Bot is about 10 hrs, acknowledging that it’s a great game and exposing the weak argument that a game should be priced based on length.

Capiche?
It wasn't a coincidence that of all the comparisons you could of made you mentioned a goty contending PlayStation exclusive in comparison.

Astro Bot 2 is about 15-30 hours anyway.

JackMcGunns

It wasn't a coincidence that of all the comparisons you could of made you mentioned a goty contending PlayStation exclusive in comparison.

Astro Bot 2 is about 15-30 hours anyway.

It wasn't a coincidence because someone else already made that comparison and I recycled the example. Someone also mentioned Uncharted, maybe those were picked so you can relate within your own bubble, I don't know, don't care. You seem to be triggered though. I'm literally telling you it's an excellent game, maybe even it being contender for GOTY is actually what makes it a good example how a games length should not be a factor. So why bring it up? It's rather strange, how it applies to one game, but not the other. You could've mentioned quality instead.

Thief1987

I'm literally telling you it's an excellent game
cuUb8eD.jpeg

Sybrix

The thing with this game is if you dont play it for a few months then come back to it, you can have 5-10 hours of good playtime, you forget flying to these planets and clearing an outpost out or doing a side quest or building a new outpost can be quite fun.

But then it all gets repetative and you stop playing, to play again in another 4 months time....

This DLC is ok, nothing spectacular, it's not going to change someones opinion of Starfield.

This game is soooooooooooooooooooooo in need of a 'Phantom Liberty' update or a 2.0 update or a Redux update or whatever they want to call it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It wasn't a coincidence because someone else already made that comparison and I recycled the example. Someone also mentioned Uncharted, maybe those were picked so you can relate within your own bubble, I don't know, don't care. You seem to be triggered though. I'm literally telling you it's an excellent game, maybe even it being contender for GOTY is actually what makes it a good example how a games length should not be a factor. So why bring it up? It's rather strange, how it applies to one game, but not the other. You could've mentioned quality instead.
Terrible comparison no matter how many times we spin this answer.

Nydius

Over in the DLC's OT before the DLC launched, people were arguing that it was going to sell fine because it had a 330K peak CCU on Steam and it was more than "just a Game Pass game". Now the DLC is out and there hasn't been any kind of bump in player count on Steam, the new argument is:

How many were you expecting to be playing?

Can't make this stuff up.

Three

Over in the DLC's OT before the DLC launched, people were arguing that it was going to sell fine because it had a 330K peak CCU on Steam and it was more than "just a Game Pass game". Now the DLC is out and there hasn't been any kind of bump in player count on Steam, the new argument is:

Can't make this stuff up.
I don't think mckmas8808 mckmas8808 cares about it like you think he does. He was probably just genuinely curious what the other guy expected for player numbers.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Saying a 10hr game should be priced based on its length is also tasteless. I fed you some spice for those taste buds and now you’re all bitter.
Again... critical masterpiece 15-30 hours vs....

A inexcusable failure.
W6kvkqv.jpeg

People like you who defend and accept such is why things are the way they are.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think mckmas8808 mckmas8808 cares about it like you think he does. He was probably just genuinely curious what the other guy expected for player numbers.

Yeah I really was just curious. I don't know if 16k is below, above, or equal to expectations. That number alone doesn't mean anything to me. I was looking for context.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
The last Bethesda thing I actually liked was Far Harbor. Before that Skyrim.

I'm done with them. Got burned buying the premium edition of this game and have no intention of playing the DLC. Since playing Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty it never occured to me how far behind the curve Bethesda are. They're in the stone age in every respect.
That concert in Phantom Liberty was legitimately beautiful. Can't imagine Bethesda pulling that off in their engine lol.

JackMcGunns

Again... critical masterpiece 15-30 hours vs....

A inexcusable failure.
W6kvkqv.jpeg

People like you who defend and accept such is why things are the way they are.

So we agree then, you’re basically saying that a critical masterpiece CAN be created within 10-15 hours of gameplay… THANK YOU!

You could’ve just said that instead of going in circles lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom