• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

On a scale of Bioshock Infinite to The Last of Us, how would you rate it?

Having only played BI, I can safely say I'm enjoying this a lot more than BI. A lot more.

The Last of Us is a game I haven't paid a lot of attention to as i don't want to spoil any story elements, etc, but I'll probably end up enjoying that as much as I'm enjoying this.

If there's one thing I love, it's a well realised world with interesting characters that aren't just one dimensional interact objects, but have their own personalities, traits, etc.

Ya I didn't miss it. It probably would have been better but it does feel leveled for a 1 player game.

It is funny but you were the one person I felt would probably agree the most with my review. We seem to see things somewhat the same which is interesting cause you are a dinosaur and I am a zombie...they are not normally connected.

We are connected. A forbidden love. Society tells us it's unnatural, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Seriously, I can look past jank, technical issues, etc due my extensive history of loving games that were full of jank, technical ussues, etc and see what the developers were trying to achieve. It's a marvel that they've managed to create such an amazing and fleshed out world with interesting and likeable NPC's who are just random characters, but actually have personalities. I can't wait to see what they cook up with Class 4 and beyond.

Anyway, back to it. The itch is starting to set in already.

Karak

As of now in my game, you can't choose when people accompany you, does it stay that way forever?

In most ways yes. But you can adventure if you have someone on a typical base quest. They will pretty much follow you anywhere. Sometimes, depending on the quest, you may get a warning stating that you need to turn back but for the most part if you are on say a "troubled friend" style quest you SHOULD be able to go with them most places.

I didn't test this more than a couple times though so there may be some large area that you can't leave but in a game where you almost never go in a straight line it seems they gave a ton of leeway for quest traversal.

Can it be done from the menu or do i need to drop it into the storage thing? I can't figure out how to do it.

I've just been using the storage crates.

It's a bit of a shame that the game doesn't explain some of its mechanics in a clearer manner - there are still things that I'm unsure of after several hours. I don't think a bit of a more in-depth tutorial would hurt the game.

Right there with you . . .

olrRdv8.gif

Yay! Xbox Germany works on getting the game live.

WOOO! Hell yeah.

Karak

Anyone else's ranger/mounty character a complete friggen dickhead? I am assuming so since he had so many lines. GOD I hated that guy.

I've just been using the storage crates.

It's a bit of a shame that the game doesn't explain some of its mechanics in a clearer manner - there are still things that I'm unsure of after several hours. I don't think a bit of a more in-depth tutorial would hurt the game.

Ya I changed my answer to his question cause I think you are right about the storage.
That is one of the reasons I gave everyone a heads up about the menu a few posts back. I was 7 hours into the game before I found out that the base upgrades could actively do stuff like "find more survivors, find buildings supplies" and so forth. It is a DEEP game.

Just checked the leaderboards, not sure if it's counting trial players as well purchased, but the current total is 34,884.

Hope that's copies sold. Undead Labs deserve success with this.

FerranMG

Is the 1600 msp price point justified?
I would have gotten it eyes closed at 1200, but 1600 is pushing it a bit too much, IMO.

takoyaki

Those reviews make me think of Deadly Premonition.

Both games were shown way back, then they disappeared and had almost no media coverage. Both technically janky open-world game, but if you get hooked on the story/atmosphere/writing/gameplay, you won't mind and it's probably gonna be a more memorable experience than most AAA games.

I'll get it as soon as it's up in Germany.

Five hours went by so fast. This game is great.

It really does. I only just realised that I haven't eaten since this morning. I've had to force myself away from the console just so I can eat.

Wait until you sit down to just "play an hour or so" and 6 hours have passed. Its an amazing pick up and play game.

Agreed with Miles about the sales.

Oh god, tomorrow is going to be hell. I'm meeting someone at 2pm....giving serious thought to blowing it off.

Is the 1600 msp price point justified?
I would have gotten it eyes closed at 1200, but 1600 is pushing it a bit too much, IMO.

Those reviews make me think of Deadly Premonition.

Both games were shown way back, then they disappeared and had almost no media coverage. Both technically janky open-world game, but if you get hooked on the story/atmosphere/writing/gameplay, you won't mind and it's probably gonna be a more memorable experience than most AAA games.

I'll get it as soon as it's up in Germany.

Excellent comparison. Wholeheartedly agree.

burgerdog

I had to pull myself away from the buy now option, what an excellent game even with all that jank. I really hope it makes its way to pc soon.

Plissken

Sitting here at work reading all the impressions and watching videos is just getting me more hyped. 7 more hours.....I think I feel sick....should go home for the health of the company...

eXistor

Played for about 2 hours. This is the type of game I want to see more often. I have no problem looking past the obvious technical problems (yes, there is tearing and the framerate isn't great, enemies clip into things etc.). This game gets it and if a game gets it, I'm willing to forgive technical downsides (to an extent of course). Simply said: if an open-world zombie survival game sounds interesting to you, you owe it to yourself to check this one out.

GamerSciz

From the gameplay this does look different then other zombie shooters out there. That being said does anyone know if there is a demo for PC to be announced?

Daigoro

yup. the game is fun. looting and bulding shit while killing hordes of zombies is good. not OMG best game ever by a long shot, but im definitely enjoying it despite the ugly mess that it is.

probably wont wind up regretting the purchase especially with cheap points, but i can see where waiting on a pc version would make a lot of sense. especially since there is no multiplayer.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, this game has a REALLY meaty trial. Lets you screw around in the tutorial area and when it opens still gives 30 minutes to play. Bought it after liking the taste, I can tell I will really like this.

It is a shame about some of the technical stuff(there is tearing, dammit all), but I'll live. Is there no way to trade stuff?

Just checked the leaderboards, not sure if it's counting trial players as well purchased, but the current total is 34,884.

Hope that's copies sold. Undead Labs deserve success with this.

Just finished playing and checked this at the end, there's 10K more already. If those are all sales that seems damn good.

What does that red bar that flashes with white text that says, "return to mission dead" mean? It is either dead or dred. Can't tell.

Also, can you repair your weapons? Or should I always have a back up? Thanks in advance!

Loving this game so far. So tense! So freaking tense!

How does the work/repair bench thing at home base work?

Also, how do I set up an outpost? The game told me to push up on the d-pad to do it but didn't explain it further.

Karak

yeah im struggling with the outpost thing as well

Enter any place that says you can set it up as an outpost. Then go into the menu and choose create outpost from the options. I almost never used the D pad for that. You do need some supplies I think. But i am not sitting in front of my screen but from memory I think you can do it from the menu 2.

2 things needed to do an outpost
Searched every room of the house
No zombies in house and sometimes you need to do a quick circle to make sure none are hiding out right outside(porch and stuff)

Moving a house is a bit more difficult. It requires ALL that, plus the right number of people to help you move, plus enough supplies.

Someone tell me how the scavenging/item collection/exploring are.

Resources are finite, searching quick or slow adjusts how much sound you make. Its a massive area to explore.

Well it's time to jump in and try to survive the zombie masses once again. Live stream is a go!

Can you run them through making an outpost?

Ryan_IGN

Shoot, that story and the IGN review is going to make me constantly worry about characters I have resting being killed while I'm using another one, fuuuuuuuuu!!!!

FWIW when I told Undead Labs about what happened to me, they said, and I quote, that I "basically rolled snake eyes." So while that same thing could happen to you, it likely won't.

However, I will say that after that, I decided to drink coffee to recover my stamina and pop Codine for health and I never slept again, LOL. :)

LowerLevel

Man, the sales for this better be tremendous. Because an MMO version of this with possible urban settings mixed in with rural... I have to agree with Miles, THIS GAME! This is the first time in a long time I'm not even thinking of another future purchase (sorry DnD and LoU) they gonna have to wait! One more reason I'm glad I have Live. The tension at night is amazing, especially with hordes...

Goddamnit I was doing this Feral Zed Hunting mission with a new survivor and we had a jolly good time killing zombies together, "Meet you back at the base!", friendship went up, then he ran straight into a zombie horde, I tried to save him but couldn't kill the horde in time, he blew himself up like a martyr, leaving behind a bloodied rucksack, and the game autosaved right that instant, my first casualty.

Ryan_IGN

Wow, the State of Decay review is BLOWING UP on IGN right now. I have not seen a downloadable game review get this kind of traffic in a long time, if ever. What a very, very pleasant surprise.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, the State of Decay review is BLOWING UP on IGN right now. I have not seen a downloadable game review get this kind of traffic in a long time, if ever. What a very, very pleasant surprise.

I noticed the let's play stuff you've been posting has had a pretty rapid comment stream too. Really hope this game does well.

On the Undead Labs forums, one of the devs said they already had 33,000 sales by 1pm

You probably know better than me. Is that good for a XBLA game or retail game, Ryan?

AWESOME! That should bode very well for Class 4, or maybe a potential co-op patch down the road. :)

For those of you who played it, what do you feel about its replayability and sandbox portions? Are the terrain/building placement random at all, or is it more like DayZ with a set map? Are the NPC's/missions randomized at all?

7 more hours until I get my chance to play... Such a long wait.

Nice.

On the Undead Labs forums, one of the devs said they already had 33,000 sales by 1pm

You probably know better than me. Is that good for a XBLA game or retail game, Ryan?

Holy crap.

If ever a game deserved success, it's this one. Such an incredible and ambitious title, you rarely see games attempting something like any more.

Such a breath of fresh air in an ever increasing stale market.

The game's good, kind of what I'm looking forward to Dead State for. But yeah, I wouldn't fault people if they opted to wait for the PC version, because it is pretty rough. Microsoft published, so hopefully patches will polish it up some.

If you've got a person with you, can you get them to loot and carry stuff?

Nice.

Holy crap.

If ever a game deserved success, it's this one. Such an incredible and ambitious title, you rarely see games attempting something like any more.

Such a breath of fresh air in an ever increasing stale market.

Is that good numbers so far you think ? I would hate this to bomb considering its excellent

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
33,000 sales in one day sales on XBLA is astoundingly good.

Especially these days, now that Microsoft does absolutely nothing to promote any XBLA game ever, and hides them behind 5 pages of ads.

Ryan_IGN

It's impossible to say without knowing their dev budget and other factors. I will say, however, that in the past, the general "good" sales number that any XBLA game wants to hit is 100,000. Hopefully State of Decay will blow by that. VERY few XBLA hit a million or anywhere close, really.

I will admit that I'm worried for them because of their release date. I fear that sales will dry up next week once E3 starts, then everyone will forget about this game amid all the next-gen hype.

Hopefully, though, this bad boy will go viral, kinda like how Mark of the Ninja did, and go on to have the success it (IMHO) deserves.

Is that good numbers so far you think ? I would hate this to bomb considering its excellent

I think it's great, especially these days where games are all too prone to seeing very lacklustre sales on XBLA.

Not to mention the price. I had my concerns the price point might see it ignored until a sale, oh how happy I am to be proven wrong.

Top Bottom