• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

SparkTR

Issues I don't understand? lol

So it's ok to reward "hard work" when the devs didn't give a shit to make sure the game ran smooth? Their hard work sure as hell missed some big key issues: Enemies clipping in the environment getting stuck; lots of screen-tearing; frame rate drops.

Saying not to buy this game because of those reasons is a little harsh, plenty of people can live with that if it means they can experience a good game and CE3 isn't exactly best friends with current gen console. Otherwise you can wait for the PC version if you want it to be technically better, which is what I may be doing.

Z0mbicide

Banned
Saying not to buy this game because of those reasons is a little harsh, plenty of people can live with that if it means they can experience a good game and CE3 isn't exactly best friends with current gen console. Otherwise you can wait for the PC version if you want it to be technically better, which is what I may be doing.

Not to mention the game is $20 bucks. Dead Island had more bugs than this game. I'm perfectly content with my purchase.

KageMaru

So it's ok to reward "hard work" when the devs didn't give a shit to make sure the game ran smooth? Their hard work sure as hell missed some big key issues: Enemies clipping in the environment getting stuck; lots of screen-tearing; frame rate drops.

Yeah I thought that was a bit rude which is why I changed it, but it's true. You don't understand or you wouldn't be so critical of these issues in the game.

I absolutely hate that when something is wrong, the devs were lazy or in this case "didn't give a shit". Do you really think it makes sense to devote years of your life to a project you don't give a shit about? Come on, use some common sense.

Point to me one open world game that does not have it's share of technical issues? There's a reason why these issues appear more often in open world games than your typical linear hallway title. On top of open world games being more demanding, you also have to consider everything we don't see with our eyes. All of those simulations and systems that make this gaming world go round and round also put additional work on the system.

Have you even played the game?

ekim

untitled5jrbd.png

fuck it... I knew it!

Damn you MS! 1000 or 2000 points? Arg!! I will have to head into town to find a 1600 card lol.
Don't know if this helps you but you can get 1600 pts cards from the online microsoft store, also Minecraft cards are 1600 pts and available at retail.

Only two reviews so far? IGN and OXM?
Hope more come out once The Last of Us review frenzy dies down. Really want to see what the critics think, cause I'm loving it

For those at work:

Why this game is amazing is the writing. For example, when you get to the base and see your first set of survivors, one of them has a 5-star rating in Reality Trivia! And they list all these quirky things about them so they become three-dimensional characters instead of just names and stats.

Yea, there are going to be those who gripe about Xbox level textures and animations, but this game is so raw and intense, I have a feeling it's going to shake some things up. I've already had more fun in 20 minutes with SoD than I had in 2 hours of Tomb Raider reboot.

Mafro

Is it just me or is the volume in this really, really low? I'm having to turn the sound up on my TV much higher than usual.

Daigoro

lol i knew the capture equipment excuse for the tearing was BS. I'm going to try the trial but I might not get it with such horrid screen tear.

That's pretty much the same impressions I got from the 30 minutes or so I played it. The price combined with the technical issues keep me from buying it.
honestly i almost regret my purchase, it is just about that bad. pretty rare for me.

this has nothing to do with "jank". thats clippng zombies and dumb ai stuff. that stuff doesnt matter to me hardly at all. its all technial stuff with the way the game runs thats the issue. and it runs poorly.

but its too late now and im going to play it. it seems interesting enough so far that it may turn out to be worth it, but right now its too close to call.

Spent about over an hour with it now, I'm enjoying it A LOT.

There are some obvious tehnical issues as others have pointed out, but they're not bad as I had anticipated. In fact, slowdown seems to occur when nothing of note is happening on the screen at all. Voice acting is pretty good!

There are some issues that are downright irritating though i.e. Zombies clipping through the environment and getting stuck. I thought I was going to have to restart the game after I couldn't complete the first "proper" mission as a zombie had gotten stuck half UNDER the environment. I had to comb over the area and find it before the conclusion would initiate. But the game is good enough for me to look over that, I just hope it isn't a regular occurrence.

Driving around is like a mixutre of Alan Wake and Deadly Preminition. A lot of fun.

Meanwhile, is there any way to rest or make time pass?

aku:jiki

Has any reviewer gotten really far or even beaten the game yet? I'd like to know if it gets frustrating and hard towards the end, because I'm not going to react well to high difficulty and low framerate. Worst combination in gaming right there. If it doesn't get stupid hard, the tech issues won't bother me too much.

fuck it... I knew it!
That sucks for germans! It's the second game in a short while that MS has fucked up like this; Sanctum 2 had a global license but many european countries had to wait like 3 weeks for it to finally show up. I hope you guys don't have to wait 3 weeks too.

Karak

Has any reviewer gotten really far or even beaten the game yet? I'd like to know if it gets frustrating and hard towards the end, because I'm not going to react well to high difficulty and low framerate. Worst combination in gaming right there. If it doesn't get stupid hard, the tech issues won't bother me too much.

I have and the difficulty is steady pretty much throughout. I talk about the various zombie types in my reviews and 1 particular type(fat bastard) can be VERY difficult and that has nothing to do with any technical issues. The dudes can stop a fucking speeding car. Its awesome but scary as shit when trying to take one on. Probably the hardest of the zombies for me.

Howlers are also difficult in groups with other zombies. The thing to remember is you not only have special moves, specializations, but you also have stealth kills. It pays off to learn them and learn them early.

Meanwhile, is there any way to rest or make time pass?
No sir. I never found one. The game is supposed to sort of make you feel like its a community and thus there is someone awake at all times. So switching to someone else sometimes becomes almost required.

Also though the skills on NPC's are random make sure you really check them and check to see what impact they are having on the house. In my review I talk about the chef and his skills, there are MANY others that make the overall group dynamic fairly interesting.

I have and the difficulty is steady pretty much throughout. I talk about the various zombie types in my reviews and 1 particular type(fat bastard) can be VERY difficult and that has nothing to do with any technical issues. The dudes can stop a fucking speeding car. Its awesome but scary as shit when trying to take one on. Probably the hardest of the zombies for me.

Howlers are also difficult in groups with other zombies. The thing to remember is you not only have special moves, specializations, but you also have stealth kills. It pays off to learn them and learn them early.
What site do you review for? I know IGN and OXM reviews are out, but nothing else. I'm guessing once the TLOU review frenzy dies down, we'll get more.

But I really want to see what the other critics think of the game

Karak

What site do you review for? I know IGN and OXM reviews are out, but nothing else. I'm guessing once the TLOU review frenzy dies down, we'll get more.

But I really want to see what the other critics think of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTh5dwfTLQg
Its my own site right now but that might be changing for the better very soon. Its just me buying games, or working as a tester and playing them so its not perfect by any means.

One thing I barely got was clipping. That is really damn odd but I didn't even notice it at all. That is sort of crappy.
Also remember the long list of things you can pay for like "Words of Inspiration", "Building Plans", and so forth. They can be life savers and are usually worth the cash. But don't get too cocky and ignore when an NPC needs help because many times they are tied into some of those purchases and losing Words of Inspiration sucked hard! Also my mounty went apeshit and took out a ton of my players after a couple hundred warnings I ignored about him causing troubles back home.

Lastly if you are having an issue with getting mugged by zombies a great deal you can always start most of the smaller missions(attitude missions in the main base) and then take that character throughout much of the world to assist you.

No sir. I never found one. The game is supposed to sort of make you feel like its a community and thus there is someone awake at all times. So switching to someone else sometimes becomes almost required.

Also though the skills on NPC's are random make sure you really check them and check to see what impact they are having on the house. In my review I talk about the chef and his skills, there are MANY others that make the overall group dynamic fairly interesting.

Cheers. The game has a surprisingly steep(ish) learning curve, a lot to take in at the beginning.

Early game spoiler: (After you found the church)
Did you guys let the 3 survivors in a house down the road join you? One is a "Jerk", the others are an "Autocrat" and a "Psychopath", I have a bad feeling about this... I just walked out of the house without choosing an answer and the "Psychopath" Rebecca actually radioed me to see if I've made a decision yet LOL

Karak

Early game spoiler: (After you found the church)
Did you guys let the 3 survivors in a house down the road join you? One is a "Jerk", the others are an "Autocrat" and a "Psychopath", I have a bad feeling about this... I just walked out of the house without choosing an answer and the "Psychopath" Rebecca actually radioed me to see if I've made a decision yet LOL

Yes but remember that every person will have different characters they meet.

So how do I rest up fully and how do I play as more characters? Both of mine are tired and there seems to be a neverending supply of missions to get out to.

Karak

So how do I rest up fully and how do I play as more characters? Both of mine are tired and there seems to be a neverending supply of missions to get out to.

You have to find survivors to join you and make friends with them and uptake a bunch of stimulants because their is no rest.

Characters and finding them is somewhat random keep an eye out for the following broadcasts:

"There is signs of a survivor"
"There is signs o scavenging"
"Someone needs our help"
Signs of damage that weren't in the game world before indicating that other characters are fighting zombies.

Really? The characters put in the world randomly?

So does that mean this Sam guy that died in my game may not be around for other people?

100% we will all have maybe people that look somewhat the same but all skills, some names, all specializations and so forth are different and the game grabs groups randomly of NPC's to have them in areas and so forth. NOW the very starting we all do meet a couple of the same peeps but after that its hands off. So if Sam is from the starting we all get him. Most of my starting peeps croaked...no all of them did.

Guys. I got a review code but I also won a contest for an extra code. I am trying to think of a good way of doing a give away. Any ideas? However I do it, I plan on announcing the winner on my live stream I'll start a little bit later today.

ekim

Guys. I got a review code but I also won a contest for an extra code. I am trying to think of a good way of doing a give away. Any ideas? However I do it, I plan on announcing the winner on my live stream I'll start a little bit later today.

Give it to me - we Germans still don't have the game available. :p

For those at work:

Why this game is amazing is the writing. For example, when you get to the base and see your first set of survivors, one of them has a 5-star rating in Reality Trivia! And they list all these quirky things about them so they become three-dimensional characters instead of just names and stats.

Yea, there are going to be those who gripe about Xbox level textures and animations, but this game is so raw and intense, I have a feeling it's going to shake some things up. I've already had more fun in 20 minutes with SoD than I had in 2 hours of Tomb Raider reboot.

Eh, maybe I haven't been playing it right but so far I've had little reason to look at my survivors. I need to build up reputation and friendships no doubt, but they seem to merely exist as vacant NPC's that I can say hello too - to no visible effect.

I've spent a few hours with it and I'm enjoying it, but not feeling the persistent world as much as I should. Seems to mainly consist of a lot of random missions (mainly go here and kill zombies, then have another mouth to feed, etc.)

I'll play some more later - fun though.

atomsk

Party Pooper
technical issues are a shame, game seems too ambitious for what they are trying to make it do.

the framerate drops and hitching when you drive in particular.

edit: I didn't know a PC port was already in the works, maybe that could fix those issues

Day turning to night is so horrifying as in Dragon's Dogma when you're under leveled. I just feel so naked and alone (even with trusty Ed rolling by my side). I want to explore the environments (great art direction), but I'm just too nervous.

Some other good things:

+ Zombies take the right amount of hits to die (take a note ZombiU 2)
+ There's plenty of story there in your journal if you want it but nothing is force fed (no cutscenes so far)
+ Already a ton of different weapons and options for play styles
+ Zombies look scary
+ Movement and combat feel good
+ Partner A.I. is better than expected
+ Huge, towering trees . . .

THIS GAME.

THIS FUCKING GAME!

I'm literally in love with it, the various technical issues haven't bothered me in the slightest during my near 5 hour straight playthrough.

I literally want to make love to this games code. I can honestly say, hand on heart, I have never loved a game as much as this.

The NPC's all have personalities, etc, which makes interacting them so much more enjoyable, the world itself is one of the best realised I've come across, spending hours on end just rolling through the street, mowing down hordes and checking for supplies is amazing.

The soundtrack is mind-meltingly awesome and don't even get me started on the hordes and the sense of urgency you feel when you're surrounded. Not even Dead Rising was able to manage the level of tension that's literally dripping from this game.

My God. This game.

Vamphuntr

Will still buy it tonight but I'm disappointed that the game is a technical disaster. Hopefully it's not as bad as I'm thinking it is.

Raide

THIS GAME.

THIS FUCKING GAME!

I'm literally in love with it, the various technical issues haven't bothered me in the slightest during my near 5 hour straight playthrough.

I literally want to make love to this games code. I can honestly say, hand on heart, I have never loved a game as much as this.

The NPC's all have personalities, etc, which makes interacting them so much more enjoyable, the world itself is one of the best realised I've come across, spending hours on end just rolling through the street, mowing down hordes and checking for supplies is amazing.

The soundtrack is mind-meltingly awesome and don't even get me started on the hordes and the sense of urgency you feel when you're surrounded. Not even Dead Rising was able to manage the level of tension that's literally dripping from this game.

My God. This game.

In 500 words or less, how much better would the game be with co-op?

Will still buy it tonight but I'm disappointed that the game is a technical disaster. Hopefully it's not as bad as I'm thinking it is.

Played Fallout 3 New Vegas, Oblivion or Skyrim? It's about on par with those, but better in same aspects, worse in others.

For a game of this ambition, it's an incredibly well made game.

In 500 words or less, how much better would the game be with co-op?

I honestly haven't missed co-op, but I'd be lying if I said co-op wouldn't make it a more enjoyable/bearable experience when you're surrounded by dozens of zombies.

It's a brilliant single player game that could be much better with co-op. The lack of co-op isn't an issue though, at least for me.

stktt

Banned
THIS GAME.

THIS FUCKING GAME!

My God. This game.

On a scale of Bioshock Infinite to The Last of Us, how would you rate it?

Karak

I honestly haven't missed co-op, but I'd be lying if I said co-op wouldn't make it a more enjoyable/bearable experience when you're surrounded by dozens of zombies.
Ya I didn't miss it. It probably would have been better but it does feel leveled for a 1 player game.

It is funny but you were the one person I felt would probably agree the most with my review. We seem to see things somewhat the same which is interesting cause you are a dinosaur and I am a zombie...they are not normally connected.

see5harp

The same could be said of many big budget games like Dark Souls. If the game is fun enough you'll ignore the issues.

Karak

Can you give weapons/supplies to others? I don't want to be walking around with 3 guns while my other dudes have nothing.
Edit: Wait. Hold up. Hmmm.
You sort of have to become them then grab something if I remember. I can't remember tossing anyone anything as they are almost always armed.

THIS GAME.

THIS FUCKING GAME!

My God. This game.

Right there with you . . .

Edit: Wait. Hold up. Hmmm.
You sort of have to become them then grab something if I remember. I can't remember tossing anyone anything as they are almost always armed.

As of now in my game, you can't choose when people accompany you, does it stay that way forever?

Top Bottom