• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Vamphuntr

Downloading now and the download is slooooooooooow. Are you guys hammering the marketplace or something? I've downloaded XBL on demand games of 7 gb in 2 hours and this 1.81 gb download is taking forever.

tw1164

I played through the demo. My only real complaint is sometime I have problems finding the "Press Y to search" location. I had fun with the game and bought it. I think inventory management is going to be a problem, unless I'm misunderstanding it. Can you pass items between people?

VashTS

The only real way to pass items to people is to do it through your community's supply box, which has you spending points.

Also for searching, all of the search points glow with subtlety. I don't see it as a huge problem most of the time.

MAYA! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

xtz6IUX.gif

DAMN YOU FERAL BASTARDS STRAIGHT TO HELL.

froliq

Quick look sold me. Looks like a zombie game I would play. Hope the PC version is near enough for me not to forget this.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The GB QuickLook sold me on the idea and game, but it being on XBL is a boner killer.

Hopefully there is some hooplah to make me notice the PC release.

Cth

Man this game can be fucking INTENSE at times. I was driving along to my waypoint when I flipped the car by accident. Mere seconds earlier, I had alerted a horde of zombies... now the horde were flooding the ditch with me in it D:

No kidding.

I went on a rescue mission, forgetting to equip my character with a weapon. I park the car and walked across a cornfield in the dark, avoiding zombies. Eventually I crossed a road and spotted a few stragglers, so I thought I'd sneak up and make an opening by killing the lone zombie.

Turns out it was a screamer and I had to haul ass quick.

aku:jiki

Hahahaha. Dude I lost 4 main characters within like 45 minutes. Its a disaster story for sure. Each time I got one...I swear someone else died. It was crazy I just couldn't get a grasp on anything.
It started out that way for me... Lost my cars, lost buddies... But now my crew is 12 strong, I have some outposts and good amounts of supplies and we're going hard and kicking ass.

Aw shit... I just jinxed myself with that, didn't I? They're all going to die in the next half hour. :(

Still no release in Germany.
You guys shouldn't wait up for it, sorry to say. This is the second game in a short while that MS has screwed up the international release on, the other being Sanctum 2, and it's taken them something like 3 weeks to sort that shit out. Why MS can't just press "publish game" in their marketplace tool is a huge mystery.

(Sanctum 2 was supposed to have a global release, and the developer and publisher had no idea what was going on when it just didn't come out in certain countries, just like this game. Some new employee at MS is fucking up.)

With Maya's death, I'm done for today.

Her death hurts. I had become attached her somewhat having survived a screamer attack not a few minutes earlier, to be taken down by some feral bastards...she shouldn't have gone out that way.

No.

xtz6IUX.gif

I'll avenge your death Maya, I'm make those bastards pay.

Anyway, thought I'd check the leaderboards again before logging off - just shy of 70k. If these are sales, damn impressive and absolutely deserved.

I am double dipping. The PC is probably 8-12 months out and the game is ace and somewhat cheap for what you get to be brutally honest.

They said that the PC version would be released shortly after the XBLA version. It's not any kind of exclusive deal or anything like that, it's just that the main focus was for XBLA. I'm expecting it in 3-6 months.

They talk about it HERE.

Our main priority (besides making you a kickass game) was not delaying the XBLA launch. We determined that we could launch a PC version shortly after the Xbox version without affecting our development schedule. Microsoft was into the idea as well, and offered us their full support.

Kallor

Ugh was about to buy this when my 360 e69'd on me. So do I just buy a new HDD? Just bought Dark Souls a couple of day ago too.

Fuck me.

No kidding.

I went on a rescue mission, forgetting to equip my character with a weapon. I park the car and walked across a cornfield in the dark, avoiding zombies. Eventually I crossed a road and spotted a few stragglers, so I thought I'd sneak up and make an opening by killing the lone zombie.

Turns out it was a screamer and I had to haul ass quick.

I'm sure there will be many more such moments :D

When you take into consideration that something like 99% of the buildings are fully fleshed out with interiors, the world map is really pretty fucking big.

I am double dipping. The PC is probably 8-12 months out and the game is ace and somewhat cheap for what you get to be brutally honest.

Yep, will definitely be double dipping. Anything to support Undead Labs.

Still can't believe someone delivered the zombie game I've always dreamt about. Thank you Undead Labs.

Karak

They said that the PC version would be released shortly after the XBLA version. It's not any kind of exclusive deal or anything like that, it's just that the main focus was for XBLA. I'm expecting it in 3-6 months.

They talk about it HERE.

Uhm. Ya I know. But I also know what actually goes into it versus the hope.

eXistor

Oh man, 4 more hours later and I'm calling it: GOTY (so far). This is just everything I want this game to be. Scavenging for supplies is necessary and can be tense (though I find the game to be quite easy so far, no deaths yet), you choose what to build, what to fortify etc. It's a logical game for the most part; this is what I imagine a zombie-apocalypse to be like and how to go about surviving one. What boils down to busywork in other games is necessity in this, but in a good way.

Anther major plus for me is that every...single...building is fully explorable, no locked doors in this motherfucker. That always pisses me off in so many other games. This might just be the best zombie game I've played, maybe only second to Dead Rising, but I'll have to give it some more time. I'd be happy to pay full price for this, there's certainly enough content, but from what I understand they're already making this into an mmo of sorts? That's too bad, we need more singleplayer survival games, I have zero interest in mmo's. Co-op could be good, but I don't get the need to make everything online.

jtrov

I'll avenge your death Maya, I'm make those bastards pay.

Funny enough I finally put the controller down after losing Maya as well; to a feral none the less. I was on my way to home base after scavenging some materials from a nearby restaurant when the damn feral saw me. My Maya had been kicking all kinds off ass and I've killed a few of these for some missions, but this bastard got one good grip and took about 75% of my health before I could free myself. Cycling through my items I noticed I had no fucking pain pills or medicine, so with only about 100 feet to go I just decided to fuck it for the fence. Forgot to check my stamina and she started holding her side and slowing down and the damn thing caught me tearing her body in half. Only had like 10 feet to go for the fence... :(

This game is absolutely amazing and it's everything (technical issues aside) I've wanted from this game since I first read about it.

Can't wait to dive back in later tonight, but fuck that Maya death was a stinger.

aku:jiki

Can anyone explain what the resource that has an icon that's like, I don't know, a little pile of balls or something? I want to build an infirmary, because I'm sick of my boys taking a century to heal up after a loot run, but I apparently can't seem to find any balls. Edit: Nevermind, I guess. I forgot what the resource was called but I just found some.

Also, is there a point in saving this enclave in my town over and over and over again? Are they ever going to join me or should I just let them die to not have to deal with their seiges every fucking day?

CaptainTiptop said:
Where do I find more medicine after that first mission?
Focus on looting instead of doing missions, at least at first. I have lots of food, medicine and ammo.

Funny enough I finally put the controller down after losing Maya as well; to a feral none the less. I was on my way to home base after scavenging some materials from a nearby restaurant when the damn feral saw me. My Maya had been kicking all kinds off ass and I've killed a few of these for some missions, but this bastard got one good grip and took about 75% of my health before I could free myself. Cycling through my items I noticed I had no fucking pain pills or medicine, so with only about 100 feet to go I just decided to fuck it for the fence. Forgot to check my stamina and she started holding her side and slowing down and the damn thing caught me tearing her body in half. Only had like 10 feet to go for the fence... :(

This game is absolutely amazing and it's everything (technical issues aside) I've wanted from this game since I first read about it.

Can't wait to dive back in later tonight, but fuck that Maya death was a stinger.

Holy shit, I was doing the exact same thing. I was on my way back from picking up some materials to build a new sleeping area, came across a house and after looking round, decided to head on in to see if there was anything of note...

Big mistake. The house was full of zeds, tried to fight them off but decided to book it out of the window, epic movie style, only to be pounced on by a goddamn feral. Maya didn't have a chance.

It really does hurt when you lose a character after a prolonged session. Oddly enough, I didn't feel the same in ZombiU when I lost a character after a few hours, I guess they lacked personalities for the most part in U.

eXistor

Can anyone explain what the resource that has an icon that's like, I don't know, a little pile of balls or something? I want to build an infirmary, because I'm sick of my boys taking a century to heal up after a loot run, but I apparently can't seem to find any balls.

Do you mean the little pyramid-like icon? If so that's materials. Go to the church-map and move the cursor up to the antenna and you can let Lilly search for whatever you choose. She'll contact you a few minutes later and mark a location on your map that has them.

anyone confirm there is no screen tearing?

No such luck, there's loads.

So my base is threatening to leave me if I don't build more beds but I have no idea what to get to build them. I have been scavenging around but still don't have enough of whatever material it is that I don't have. Any advice?

The map's always the same, but except for a few story NPCs, all other NPC are randomized: name, appearance, personality, traits, skills.

And also there are random events like disease or power loss that can mess up your perfectly sufficient community...you know to keep you on your toes

No hostile NPCs, unfortunately

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Bummer there are no hostile NPC's. It would have been cool to run into another survivor group and have to manage their relationship with your group so they don't want to just try to kill you to take your goods. Even still, the replayability of this game sounds great!

4.5 hours until I get to play for myself...

KageMaru

Depends on your supplies. I stayed for maybe 30 hours of gametime before I moved as the small buildings nearby and the overall location worked very well for me.

You played for 30 hours before moving on? So I'm guessing I shouldn't be hesitant from building it up since I could be there for a while?

Goddamnit I was doing this Feral Zed Hunting mission with a new survivor and we had a jolly good time killing zombies together, "Meet you back at the base!", friendship went up, then he ran straight into a zombie horde, I tried to save him but couldn't kill the horde in time, he blew himself up like a martyr, leaving behind a bloodied rucksack, and the game autosaved right that instant, my first casualty.

lol it's stories like these that I'm going to enjoy almost as much as the game.

There is lots of screen tearing.

What resolution is your 360 set to? I'm still gaming at 1360x768 and while there is some tearing, I haven't seen a lot in my short play session. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse as you go through the game and is instead maybe tied to the resolution of your 360 (much like the MT framework engine). =/

R3TRODYCE

DAT feel of jumping out of the second floor window of an house and going into a full sprint down the road while a load of zombies chase you to your getaway car.

So my base is threatening to leave me if I don't build more beds but I have no idea what to get to build them. I have been scavenging around but still don't have enough of whatever material it is that I don't have. Any advice?

Press up, go the house icon and select the the icon with Jill (total brain freeze, I can't remember what it's called specifically), once there, select the option to search for materials and wait 10mins. An icon will pop up on your map guiding you to where materials are.

Plissken

I hadn't heard about this yet, from the Polygon review:

I didn't know that State of Decay's world continued when I exited the game until I came back the next day to find morale low and one of my survivors dead.

That both excites me (I think it's a cool feature) and terrifies me (I'm certain to be working lots of overtime the next couple weeks and will barely have time to play). Is it possible to completely lose everyone/everything while you are away?

derFeef

There are some really clever things in this game. Like dialogue cutting out with "wait a sec, dealing with this first" when you start a fight. And after you killed the Zeds, the dialogue continues. CLEVER!

That both excites me (I think it's a cool feature) and terrifies me (I'm certain to be working lots of overtime the next couple weeks and will barely have time to play). Is it possible to completely lose everyone/everything while you are away?

ikr?! Fuck. I had no idea!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Currently chilling in a house I should not have went into, surrounded by hordes and fearing for my digital life. Seriously, in any other game I'd be running into the fray with a bat or whatever. But in State of Decay...zombies are terrifying. I guess I saw them as easy peasy prey for too long.

I feel utterly helpless despite the many zombies I've killed in the game already. Dat tension. Such a stellar game.

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

How am I meant to sleep knowing that morale is dropping and the other survivors are risking their lives for supplies I should be gathering.

Maya's death was bad enough, I can't take another...

Top Bottom