• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

aku:jiki

Everything except what you paid for goes away.
Your old place stays but I can't remember if zombies took it back over.
"Goes away" is kind of an ambiguous term here! Do you mean it follows me or that it evaporates?

I wish the map would tell me how many building slots a base has. I've got an alternative but I don't know if it's worth the effort... I wish you could just keep expanding and leave some people in bases, etc. One of my main base problems is that I have too many survivors!

aku:jiki

Man.....

lol, that sucks. I appreciate the help tho.
Looting a house, having to leave and come back like 5 times is going to get old very quickly. Be prepared!

One of the more boring aspects of the game for me right now. I tried sending NPCs to pick up extra loot but they just never went...

Karak

"Goes away" is kind of an ambiguous term here! Do you mean it follows me or that it evaporates?

I wish the map would tell me how many building slots a base has. I've got an alternative but I don't know if it's worth the effort... I wish you could just keep expanding and leave some people in bases, etc. One of my main base problems is that I have too many survivors!

Fuck sorry dude I am so wiped out.
Upgrades are lost but all items move with you.

If your runners don't go to a location it either means its too dangerous, their stamina is too low and they are sleeping, ...or its a bug. They should always try.

Man.....

lol, that sucks. I appreciate the help tho.
No problem.

Just bought without trying. Going to try and play this and watch the Bruins at the same time. Holy shit leader boards at nearly 100,000 already.

I loved the trial but I kind of want to wait it out and see how they handle patching this game.

It could be an absolute disaster like Fez, Skullgirls and Pid...
or it could be well supported with regular updates like Minecraft.

You never know with Microsoft's shitty patch limitations and $20 is too much of a risk for a buggy XBLA game.

It's really bumming me out the lack of control that you have over your party. I should be able to trade items out in the wild and tell them to grab supplies that I can't carry. No reason why I should have to make 3 trips to a building for supplies when there are two other guys with me.

ig6KfgsXqMmd9.gif

Love it, Please release it on PC soon!

Ilive1up

i played the demo just before. is the whole game that hard to look at? so grainy! not to mention the performance is pretty meh.

there seems to be a shit ton to do though, so that'll probably make up for it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This game is absurdly good, and the only drawbacks are technical. So I really hope it does get some kind of future-proof port next year (not just because it'd run better on PC, but also because XBLA will naturally sunset in relatively short order). It could really take off--there was 65,000+ people on the leaderboards when I checked earlier.

Hmm, so I found myself in a tight spot (ventured into a vast field) and as I didn't feel like trekking through it I decided to see if I could switch character.

After switching characters for about a minute, I decided that it would be cool to find out where the other guy was - so imagine my surprise when I switched back again and found him quite comfortable back at the base.

Probably down to technical limits, but it would be cool to have your characters running round from the location you last left them at.

It's really bumming me out the lack of control that you have over your party. I should be able to trade items out in the wild and tell them to grab supplies that I can't carry. No reason why I should have to make 3 trips to a building for supplies when there are two other guys with me.

I agree, that is ridiculous. I wonder if its something that could be patched in later.

Question: how do you know what condition a weapon is in before it breaks?

abundant

Put in about 5 hours, with 1 death so far (A Feral Zed killed Maya) and I love this game. It's my GOTY right now. BS:I was really good, but this game is so much fun and addictive as hell.

daevv

Maybe it's the forest setting but I'm getting an Alan Wake vibe from the demo. Not a fan of the gun aiming though.

Definity

Great game. A few technical issues but everything else is good. When they release this for the PC I will probably double dip.

Vamphuntr

I'm enjoying it but that framerate when you are driving a vehicle is gross. It stutters and fall to 0 FPS on my old fat 360 pro.

If I quit does it autosave? I want to stop but the fact it's telling me I will lose progress isn't reassuring.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This one's the very definition of jank, but eff me if I'm not having fun!

Not sure why I can't wander over to the nearest fallen tree and scavenge me a bludgeon when my melee weapon breaks. Or use that frying pan I saw in a cabin early one. Or the seemingly endless hammers and wooden boards that he magically pulls out of his ass when creating barricades.

But it is fun as shit!

Vamphuntr

There is so much to learn in this game. I've made the workshop which repairs weapon overnight and it's a huge relief not to worry about them breaking all the time.

If you need a specific kind of supply and you don't know where to find it you can use influence and ask Lily/radio lady to find a location where you can find what you are looking for. Just click on her portrait in the menu.

It takes about 10 minutes but it's worth it. I was in need of construction materials and found some quickly this way.

I just did the doctor mission and stopping there for today.

this game is fun but I almost lost a character tonight when fighting a
big ass zombie
and I couldn't leave due to it being a mission. man, this is the zombie game of the year. hell, maybe generation.

Odd, I dl'd the trial and had my 360 hang twice on the Undead Labs logo and one time, after a very long wait, it got to the main menu where it crashed when I started a new game. Anyone else seen any of this?

Karak

I spent the last hours creeping stealthily back from across the map because I had no one left to switch into. All night I snuck from bush to bush with a single god damned steel pole to defend myself. This is my 57 hour gameplay save so I have destroyed so many cars I couldnt find one.
I found a zombie horde I couldn't get by so a tossed a glass cat through a window and those fuckers went nuts and poured into the house...the sad thing is. There were unannounced SURVIVORS in the house.
I only noticed after a couple gunshots went off. As I finally found a vehicle I heard the last of the suvivors die.

God damn that was heart wrenching.

Odd, I dl'd the trial and had my 360 hang twice on the Undead Labs logo and one time, after a very long wait, it got to the main menu where it crashed when I started a new game. Anyone else seen any of this?
Maybe try to redownload. Of 30 odd people I personally know there has not been a single crash and some of them have 8 hours straight since release.

Maybe try to redownload. Of 30 odd people I personally know there has not been a single crash and some of them have 8 hours straight since release.

That's good to hear that this is hopefully isolated -- re-downloading now. I hope my 360 isn't crapping out -- I had something I downloaded a few weeks ago say it couldn't launch until I re-downloaded it. I don't know if I have the heart to buy yet another 360. This one is a slim so I had hoped it'd be reliable but I've already had the 250gb drive crap out on it.

I spent the last hours creeping stealthily back from across the map because I had no one left to switch into. All night I snuck from bush to bush with a single god damned steel pole to defend myself. This is my 57 hour gameplay save so I have destroyed so many cars I couldnt find one.
I found a zombie horde I couldn't get by so a tossed a glass cat through a window and those fuckers went nuts and poured into the house...the sad thing is. There were unannounced SURVIVORS in the house.
I only noticed after a couple gunshots went off. As I finally found a vehicle I heard the last of the suvivors die.

God damn that was heart wrenching.
Damn, that's one of the best moments I've heard so far. I don't think any zombie game has such morally twisting moments...that are totally unscripted. You sent innocent survivors to their death, unintentionally, but it saved your life. As they were dying, were you tempted to help them even though you knew it was a lost cause?

Karak

Damn, that's one of the best moments I've heard so far. I don't think any zombie game has such morally twisting moments...that are totally unscripted. You sent innocent survivors to their death, unintentionally, but it saved your life. As they were dying, were you tempted to help them even though you knew it was a lost cause?

I had barely any health a yellow weapon and no stamina so the car was my plan. To drive it up to the house and honk. But I literally heard them screaming as they died as I pulled back up. It was revolting.

It was worse. I get back to base and all the playables are dead because my solider survivor had gone nuts and killed 2 other dudes in the base. It was just me and radio chick. I swear to shit it was right out of the movies.

That's good to hear that this is hopefully isolated -- re-downloading now. I hope my 360 isn't crapping out -- I had something I downloaded a few weeks ago say it couldn't launch until I re-downloaded it. I don't know if I have the heart to buy yet another 360. This one is a slim so I had hoped it'd be reliable but I've already had the 250gb drive crap out on it.
Funny but games this big often ARE troubling for both the PS3 and the Xbox and I am not sure why. But this one so far hasn't had any of those reports I have heard.

Okay, I love this game. Melee reminds me of the original Fable and there are lots of minor technical issues and a not-so-ideal image quality to put up with, but this is definitely the most well realized video game form of Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead ever. It's just crazy deep for an open world action-survival game. Also, best XBLA game I've played this year quite easily. The Jesper Kyd soundtrack is a-fucking-mazing. It's got that brooding, pulsing intensity that kinda imbues a weird 70s Lucio Fulci rawness. Need co-op so bad, though.

Just got done clearing out houses near the church in the first real town. Was overconfident just hitting house after house, looting, and clearing some yard stalkers before getting overwhelmed, losing Maya, and having to shoulder barge into a locked house, finish off two tougher, meatier zombies while getting the shit bit out of me before deciding to settle in. Just finished building barricades on all of the windows to survive the incoming wave who were alerted by some screaming or howling zombies(?). Intense.

Alchemy

Enjoying myself so far, but damn is the game rough around the edges. Rough collision, rough graphics and pop in. I really wish I had a PC version right now.

Trigger

The concept of the horde mechanic is pretty great. There's an extra layer of paranoia whenever I consider that a pack of zombies could be shambling my way soon.

I loved the trial but I kind of want to wait it out and see how they handle patching this game.

It could be an absolute disaster like Fez, Skullgirls and Pid...
or it could be well supported with regular updates like Minecraft.

You never know with Microsoft's shitty patch limitations and $20 is too much of a risk for a buggy XBLA game.
Not only is this a Microsoft published game but it's their ip. Don't think there will be any issues with updates.

Karak

The concept of the horde mechanic is pretty great. There's an extra layer of paranoia whenever I consider that a pack of zombies could be shambling my way soon.

They also utterly devastate a car after a horde or two if you are not careful. I actually like that about the vehicles.

Also their are more grouping systems done later. Not like hordes but with the other zombie types that makes different groups require different strategies. Fat Bastards and Feral are both a bit hard if you aren't ready.

Karak

Is this just waiting on rating from the OFLC?

There isn't even anything in the game that might make people worry. Well there is some vague sexual innuendo but Australia has the Platypus...people see fucked up shit every day.

Great to see that the game is living up to expectations. Count me as one of the many looking forward to trying this out on PC sometime in the future.

So according to the devs, the leaderboards are an accurate way of seeing how many sales so far

And right now...it's at 112,000.

To put that in perspective, Trials Evolution broke the record for day one sales with over 100,000 sales before being dethroned by Minecraft.

Now personally I don't want to include Minecraft because it already had such a massive fanbase before coming to XBLA so it's really not comparable.

State of Decay still has another seven hours before its release day is over. So technically, SoD has the second highest day-one sales. And if we're not including MC and only talking about original IPs, it's the game to beat in that category

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
How the fuck did this sell so much? I didn't even know about it before last week or so.

Top Bottom