• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
So I'm torn between the Ferguson ruling. No video. Ambiguous eye witness statements. The fact that there was an actual altercation.

But fuck, this dude murdered a guy on camera. The dude didn't fight and he tried to tell them he couldn't breathe.

I'm shocked.

Things are going to burn tonight.

UberTag

I'm really upset. Like unable to put into the proper type of words about how upset I am. So much for body cameras on the police the shit will not matter. Obviously didn't here. I'm upset that ONLY NOW has this become a 'boiling point' issue here in the US. Black folks have been getting profiled, brutalized, and murdered by the police for decades and nothing fucking happens.

When the fuck will something happen? When white people start giving a shit?
You all need to invest in cameras, actively display said cameras and only go out in public alongside trusted white friends. Make a point that you're filming everything at all times.

Failing that move to Canada. It's awfully cold up here, though.

I was {<<-THIS->>} close to going on a "where the fuck was everyone on Election Day?!" voting rant when the Ferguson decision came down, but hit the BACK button so many times it's ridiculous.

There are going to be hordes of people who come-up with a way to justify this type of decision. They'll even joke about it. Celebrate it. And they tend to vote similarly.

That's the insidious part about this corruption and human psychology. The more this happens, the less faith in government people have until they check out totally. That leads to less voting. It's self destructive but it's human psychology. Politicians have to show that they are relevant in people's lives or the people will continue to not act in their best interests.

Well yeah, the Nazis were eventually held accountable for their actions.

You're missing the point of the thought experiment, which is that the police are actively making the country worse rather than better, to the point that the country would massively improve if they all just disappeared and could be replaced with people who aren't monsters.

The system is messed up and needs fixing, but a blanking removal of all in place of people who "aren't monsters" isn't going to work. By and large the people getting into the force aren't monsters. It's impossible to tell how someone will react when put into the situation until they are there and unfortunately some go too far.

Justice System: Black people should stay home because the police can legally kill you if you have your hands up, or are lying on the floor.

Home isnt safe

This (black) 7 year old girl was sleeping on her couch when the police broke in and killed her

It appears doubtful that an involuntary manslaughter charge will be reinstated against a Detroit Police officer in the shooting of a 7-year-old Detroit girl during a police raid.

The Michigan Court of Appeals ruled twice Monday that Wayne County Circuit Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway's decision to dismiss the felony charge against Joseph Weekley will stand.

Attorneys and jurors are expected to return to court today after the delay for legal maneuvering.

Weekley still faces a charge of careless discharge of a firearm causing death, a misdemeanor, in the death of Aiyana Stanley-Jones. She was shot in the head in May 2010 as police stormed a home on Detroit's east side looking for a murder suspect.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...-aiyana-stanley-jones-appeals-court/16803207/

This decision is infinitely more surprising to me than the Ferguson one for a few reasons.

1. It suggests body cameras will not help tremendously.
2. There was little-to-no he-said, she-said, since there was a video, unlike Ferguson where some of the eyewitness testimony was sketchy on both sides. So, facts didn't help either.

TheJLC

Read what you quoted.

Homicide means conduct which causes the death of a person

Then it goes to protect women and unborn children and label it not only as homicide but murder, manslaughter, and criminal negligent homicide.

Homicide as in your own definition is only " conduct which causes the death of a person" NY Code 125.7 and others further develop homicide into either murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, etc...

19XUvVD.png

https://twitter.com/NYPDCommAffairs/status/540232202051915777

001.jpg

Everything about this just kind of sickens me

commedieu

Banned
That's the insidious part about this corruption and human psychology. The more this happens, the less faith in government people have until they check out totally. That leads to less voting. It's self destructive but it's human psychology. Politicians have to show that they are relevant in people's lives or the people will continue to not act in their best interests.

Do people vote on whether or not blacks will be gunned down without trials by police?

What the cop did to him was illegal and wound up killing him. There's no circumstances that could possibly change that.
Him resisting is what prompted the actions of police.

An illegal technique was used as a result of him resisting arrest. This should have resulted in an indictment at the least. Saying resisting arrest has nothing to do with this situation, being the action that started the whole thing, is moronic.

I always laugh at the comments in these articles.

People saying don't break the law or do what you are told when the police order something or don't resist arrest.

Talk about supporters of true fascism. I bet same fucks that call Obama a facist freely and openly support this bullshit of cops getting away with killing unarmed people.

Was there a special prosecutor for this?

The thing that iches my ass the most about the Brown case was they used the notion of "giving all the evidence" as a cover to have the prosecutor be the defense attorney and put Brown on trial.

Mononoke

Banned
This decision is infinitely more surprising to me than the Ferguson one for a few reasons.

2. There was little-to-no he-said, she-said, since there was a video, unlike Ferguson where some of the eyewitness testimony was sketchy on both sides.

I think Body cameras are still needed....

But you are right, that this does show that prosecutors and the system protecting its own ass (the unions/department and the courts)...shows that even having footage of something, doesn't mean it will get justice, if their ultimate goal is to cover up their organization, and protect it from getting sued or members getting jailed.

However, I think if you start having more footage, then it becomes easier for people to really see the issues first hand instead of waving it away as a criminal getting killed by cops for doing criminal activities (which seems to be a mind set some people take on this when they hear abut the news).

That said, I think what this really shows, is that society on the whole has to do something about this. That it can't just be black people and activist speaking out about this. It has to be something everyone needs to push for.

And if not, then people shouldn't be surprised when riots and violence are the next step being used. Those that refuse to do anything about it, have no one but to blame but themselves for things resorting to violence. Really what other option is there, when the system is failing people (when they try to reform it by voting and it doesn't work). When all other outlets have been exhausted.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Read what you quoted.

Then it goes to protect women and unborn children and label it not only as homicide but murder, manslaughter, and criminal negligent homicide.

Homicide as in your own definition is only " conduct which causes the death of a person" NY Code 125.7 and others further develop homicide into either murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, etc...

Totally right, I misread your initial statement. We are in agreement.

An illegal technique was used as a result of him resisting arrest. This should have resulted in an indictment at the least. Saying resisting arrest has nothing to do with this situation, being the action that started the whole thing, is moronic.

"Her resisting being attacked is what prompted the rapist to kill her.

He stabbed her as a result of her resisting his advances. Saying her resisting has nothing to do with this situation, being the action that caused him to stab her is moronic.

If she would have complied she'd still be alive. After all the rapist told her if she did she wouldn't get stabbed"

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What reasons did the grand jury give to not indict?

Ryan Parker &#8207;@TheRyanParker 54s55 seconds ago
MT @shomaristone: Coroner: #EricGarner death caused by chokehold.
Chokeholds banned by NYPD rules.
NYPD union says it wasn't chokehold.

quickwhips

"Her resisting being attacked is what prompted the rapist to kill her.

He stabbed her as a result of her resisting his advances. Saying her resisting has nothing to do with this situation, being the action that cause him to stab her is moronic.

If she would have complied she'd still be alive. After all the rapist told her if she did she would still be alive"
Dude now your reaching. I actually spent time reading your post but comparing the cop to a rapist. I'm thinking your part of the problem also now.

2. There was little-to-no he-said, she-said, since there was a video, unlike Ferguson where some of the eyewitness testimony was sketchy on both sides.

Body cameras don't mean shit when "Black people are scary". You can use ANYTHING to justify being afraid for your safety with us apparently.

Man, I don't normally get upset emotionally but after Trayvon, Ferguson and now this I kinda just wanna go home and crawl in bed.

And I mean, I don't have problems with the police. But the notion that I could be murdered at any given time just by standing peacefully with my hands up trying to TALK to a cop really upsets me. And add to that that there will be TONS of people and a system that will do it's best to support the person that killed me because, well....I'm scary is just the final spat in the face.

If a cop tries to talk to me I should just get on my knees. But then they'll claim I was getting in a 3 point stance ready to tackle...

TheJLC

Totally right, I misread your initial statement. We are in agreement.

It's alright, happens to all of us. :p

Anyways, I wonder if all the evidence and transcripts of what transpired in court will be made public for this? This definitely should have gone to court. If a prosecutor can indict a ham-sandwich, what happened here?

So I'm torn between the Ferguson ruling. No video. Ambiguous eye witness statements. The fact that there was an actual altercation.

But fuck, this dude murdered a guy on camera. The dude didn't fight and he tried to tell them he couldn't breathe.

I'm shocked.

Things are going to burn tonight.

But they murdered him with a police taught technique so it's okay apparently. The just doing their job as per training excuse always bothers me. As if police training is somehow infallible.

Anybody know any great cities in Canada?

Welp America it's been a good run but I think it's time for me to gtfo. How's Canada this time of year?

You could always give Edmonton or B.C a thought. Edmonton has more work opportunities, but B.C has it's own benefits.

OT: Racist Cops continue to be racist and murder minorities without punishment. At this point, my faith in cops will drop to the negatives.

Dude now your reaching. I actually spent time reading your post but comparing the cop to a rapist. I'm thinking your part of the problem also now.

My post was to show that victim blaming is not relevant to this thread. Secondly you don't think a cop murdering a man in cold blood is comparable to a rapist?

danwarb

It shouldn't have prompted what it did. There wasn't much resistance. There was no reason to take him down like that. He wasn't a threat at any point.

I don't even know what to say at this point. Unlike the Brown case there was no ambiguity to this incident at all. Video showing the event and what led up to it and still nothing. I won't bat a single eyelash if things pop off over there. At this point, it deserves to happen.

commedieu

Banned

Its literally the same ridiculous logic. Its saying that their actions increase the chance of them being choked/raped/murdered. The problem is the rapist/police. Not the person being raped/choked illegally. We know the actions of the officer killed him, 100%. Just like we know the actions of a rapist is what rapes, 100%. Its not the fault of victims for violence against them. This isn't police procedure, this is a wrestling move that was banned.

Mononoke

Banned
Body cameras don't mean shit when "Black people are scary". You can use ANYTHING to justify being afraid for your safety with us apparently.

Man, I don't normally get upset emotionally but after Trayvon, Ferguson and now this I kinda just wanna go home and crawl in bed.

And I mean, I don't have problems with the police. But the notion that I could be murdered at any given time just by standing peacefully with my hands up trying to TALK to a cop really upsets me. And add to that that there will be TONS of people and a system that will do it's best to support the person that killed me because, well....I'm scary is just the final spat in the face.

If a cop tries to talk to me I should just get on my knees. But then they'll claim I was getting in a 3 point stance ready to tackle...

This is really fucked up. :(

Terrible. So terrible that people have to be afraid to just live their lives.

Leunam

What reasons did the grand jury give to not indict?

This is what I'm wondering. It seems like the jury was given an incredibly narrow rule to follow for intent I guess.

I don't see how they couldn't indict either in good conscience or through the letter of the law.

esms

You're taking his quote far too literally.

Laws are a social construct. They reflect who we are, what our values are, and what we think is important. But they're not applied equally for all people (hence his statement about blacks getting the vote in the 1860s meaning precisely jack shit). In some cases, they aren't applied at all.

It's becoming increasingly clear that society at large is pretty much OK with cops having the power to kill with impunity in spite of whatever any statute says. We've assented to it as a society.

The problem isn't the cops. The problem is society.

It appears I did take it too literally, which is precisely why I broke out laughing.

I disagree with your placement of blame. The problem is both; the cops who blissfully exploit the system, and the citizens accept it.

But you speak as if the problem is one that can be fixed simply. Our courts are complicit in their crimes and our legislators and their unions anoint them of being individuals that are above the law. I believe until society at large views cops as the "other," as cops do with citizens, nothing will change.

Xe4

Banned
What the actual fuck. Been following this for a while. I can sorta see the Wilson not being guilty, even though he should have been tried, but what the actual fuck. He wasn't even selling cigarettes, by the way. It seems things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom