• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
People thought I was being hyperbolic when I said the country would improve overnight if all the cops and corrupt prosecutors died in their sleep.

I know a couple guys who ended up being police officers back home. Went to HS with them, good fellas.

I'm more certain of them being good people than I am you. Good day, sir.

As a parent you do tell your daughter to wear appropriate clothing and never to go out alone. It's wonderful to live in an abstract world where a woman should be able to do whatever she wants without fearing reprisal, but the cold hard reality is that women have this shit drilled into their heads from the time they start physically maturing. As a citizen you crusade for change, but it's a cruel world, and as a parent you do and teach what you can to minimize the risks to your children. And that unfortunately means teaching them to do what they can to protect themselves. It's not victim blaming to tell your daughter to dress modestly and use the buddy system. Victim blaming is saying that your daughter wouldn't have been raped if she had been dressed more modestly and had used the buddy system. You can protect your kids while still blaming the real perpetrators.

In a similar vein, everyone knows the "talk" that Black parents have to give their kids to protect them from law enforcement. "Keep calm. Don't talk back. Do whatever the police say. Move slowly. Don't put your hands in your pockets." You can minimize the risk to your kids while still blaming the law enforcement system that treats blacks as criminals. I understand what you're saying, and in his statement it did come off as victim blaming, but I really think you overreacted with your nastiness.

And if your daughter did dress modestly and was with friends and was still raped...what then?

Or if you're black and you follow all those rules and you're still killed what then?

Cops can literally murder you any time they want and get away with it.

People need to just start practicing self-defense when involved with violent cops.

This entirely rational argument will be disputed based on a misrepresentation of the civil rights struggle.

Foggy

While 50,000 body cams is a good start, I don't see how it will achieve anything if being a cop is a free pass to murder black people.

I mean it's not like people want to put body cams on cops and then call it a day. As much as something like this stings, it certainly could only help in the future. Fuck, just divert some funds away from a couple mega-awesome defense rockets and throws some cameras on cops.

NYPD: "If you resist arrest because you are unable to breath due to a banned chokehold we are placing you under then you deserve to die especially if you are black!"

Armaros

As a parent you do tell your daughter to wear appropriate clothing and never to go out alone. It's wonderful to live in an abstract world where a woman should be able to do whatever she wants without fearing reprisal, but the cold hard reality is that women have this shit drilled into their heads from the time they start physically maturing. As a citizen you crusade for change, but it's a cruel world, and as a parent you do and teach what you can to minimize the risks to your children. And that unfortunately means teaching them to do what they can to protect themselves. It's not victim blaming to tell your daughter to dress modestly and use the buddy system. Victim blaming is saying that your daughter wouldn't have been raped if she had been dressed more modestly and had used the buddy system. You can protect your kids while still blaming the real perpetrators.

In a similar vein, everyone knows the "talk" that Black parents have to give their kids to protect them from law enforcement. "Keep calm. Don't talk back. Do whatever the police say. Move slowly. Don't put your hands in your pockets." You can minimize the risk to your kids while still blaming the law enforcement system that treats blacks as criminals. I understand what you're saying, and in his statement it did come off as victim blaming, but I really think you overreacted with your nastiness.

At this point, Black people are going to get murdered in the streets by cops just for existing, considering the myriad of different things that black people have been killed by cops for.

Trying to be high and mighty and lecturing people on what they need to do to not get murdered by people that is suppose to protect them is unecessary and is Victim Blaming.

Mully

You believe wrong. The rest of the world is a big place, and Europe is pretty diverse.

I believe pretty factually most of the time. Most people call me a cynical asshole when I point out factual inaccuracies within reports on contentious issues. See my Shaun King posts.

There are not people throwing bananas at black players during soccer games in the US on a wide scale. Racism is certainly prevalent in the USA, but let's not kid ourselves about Europe. It's a white majority continent that has recently had to deal with large swaths of immigration. The EU has done a poor job at making these immigrants feel welcome. There's still racism against the Roma, blacks, and Middle Easterners.

It's very easy to demonize the United States because it puts its race issues out there for the entire world to see, but my point is to understand that Europeans and the rest of the world are far from being the angels that many GAF members would like them to be.

Xando

Well black minorities are not as prevalent in Europe. Most European cops don't have guns. Cops are more likely to be held accountable due to the centralized nature of government.

Yes they do.

But yes, I do believe Europe and the rest of the world is far more racist than America.
Interesting, the only country where i hear of weekly police attacks against minorities is America.

methane47

Good lord...

I plan to just go limp and collapse to the ground if ever confronted by cops. It's the only way...

maybe.

Thats called a LUNGE

tumblr_lnuflgouc61qdy15wo1_500.gif

Guaranteed to get shot

Syriel

Can we stop with the shitty 'fun fact' nonsense?

It's the cops that decide whether or not a suspect is 'complying.' If your muscles reflexively contract because they're getting twisted around in unnatural angles (which is what happens when they try to cuff you, cops will interpret that as noncompliance and kill you, even if your intent was to comply.

'just comply with the cops!' is worthless advice that does not solve anybody's problem with american law enforcement.

It's also a piece of advice that you can ignore if white.

I've not been arrested, but I have flat out told officers that I would not be doing as they asked because they had no legal right to order me to do so.

And you know what? Nothing bad happened.

The two big differences here are that I was in SF (and not NYC) when it happened and that I'm perceived as white (not black).

Standing up for your rights when white is very low risk.

When you're black, you might get shot.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How the fuck was this even possible? Not only is Eric Garner dead, the coroner ruled it a homicide and the cop is on video putting him in a chokehold which has been banned by cops in this city for so long it can buy a drink at a bar. This is some straight up Rodney King bullshit. It was on fucking video, for fuck's sake! Screw you Statin Island, screw you.

HylianTom

Banned
Voting Hylian..

because apparently non-negros can't value our lives enough to not vote for the murdering branch of the police department. We need people that look like us, in office, to remind people that we are human beings.
I was {<<-THIS->>} close to going on a "where the fuck was everyone on Election Day?!" voting rant when the Ferguson decision came down, but hit the BACK button so many times it's ridiculous.

There are going to be hordes of people who come-up with a way to justify this type of decision. They'll even joke about it. Celebrate it. And they tend to vote similarly.

A= A white victim.

False. Here in Chicago we had a case where 3 plainclothes cops stalked and beat the shit out of 2 affluent white guys down the street from me. The whole thing was caught on video. Including uniformed officers shuffling them away. The plaintiffs couldn't even get the city to give the names of the cops who beat them. White or black doesn't matter. All that matters is there is no justice when police or law enforcement is involved.

turtle553

Did you forget the Bart story of the man that already handcuffed on his stomach was still killed execution style?

That cop was found guilty because it was pretty obvious:

At approximately 4 p.m., the jury found Johannes Mehserle guilty of involuntary manslaughter, and not guilty of both the second-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter charges.

This case the chokehold was used, but he was not choked to death. It was definitely a contributing factor. After the hold was released, the general techniques used by police are quite harsh and once you are deemed to have resisted, they don't let up.

Mully

Yes they do.

Interesting, the only country where i hear of weekly police attacks against minorities is America.

This is like saying how many shootings your hear about after a major one. Of course you're going to hear more about similar events after a major one. If anything I think it's positive we're hearing more about them instead of the thousands of anecdotes about chokeholds in the 80's in NY.

America is absolutely fucked up, but my point is that Europeans should not be so high and mighty about their own views when they basically vilify Muslims, "fascists," blacks, Romas, and recently Indians.

pretty ridiculous
family should clean up nicely in the presumed civil suit though
of course that doesn't mean anything when someone dies but hopefully it will give them some peace when they win that

I assume he was black, then?

you're a mod...

Well black minorities are not as prevalent in Europe. Most European cops don't have guns. Cops are more likely to be held accountable due to the centralized nature of government.

But yes, I do believe Europe and the rest of the world is far more racist than America.

The UK(except Northern Ireland) Norway and Ireland are the only countries in Europe that don't have cops with guns.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If you were fine with the Ferguson verdict, you're part of the problem.

I can see his point of view.

Lots of contradictory eye witness statements in the Ferguson case. There was not a meaningful chance of a conviction.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
There was ZERO reason for this man to die. ZERO. There were like 5 or so officers around ONE unarmed man so they had total and complete control of the situation. There was no threat here. Now I can't say I know 100% what happen in the Mike Brown case but here I can and it was murder. This is bullshit.

Lum1n3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT66U_Ftdng

^ The piece of shit that murdered him smiling and waving at the camera at 6:50. He knew months ago that he wasn't going to get in any trouble.

Fucking racist country makes me sick.

Holy manoley, I never even knew this video was around!!!

Love how the person recording the video (or someone else) at @6:35 asks why no one gave him CPR and the dumb comp says "because he's breathing." BS, that's the face of a dead man!

Mononoke

Banned
There were "good Nazis" too.

lol, okay.

Your posts are ridiculous. People using the whole "not all cops" to distract from a clear systematic problem are assholes, no doubt. And if you are black, you have every right to be angry and to be paranoid and assume your life will be threatened as clearly this system is fucked.

But some on now. All cops dying would magically make the world better...

Comparing all cops to Nazis...

Maybe but I'm not wrong that if they complied they would probably be alive. :(
When you put the onus on the citizen to behave perfectly in order to avoid death it creates an atmosphere where cops are immune to criticism.

No one's perfect. And even if you are you'll still get shot:
The shooting happened in the parking lot of a Circle K on Broad River Road Sept. 4 after Lance Cpl. Sean Groubert pulled Levar Edward Jones over for a seatbelt violation.

In the video released Wednesday night, Groubert asks for Jones’ license. Jones then checks his back pocket before going back to his vehicle.

Groubert then fires several shots at Jones before Jones falls to the ground.

While Jones is on the ground with a gunshot wound to the hip, he asks Groubert “What did I do, sir?”

Groubert then asks Jones if he was hit.

“I don’t know what happened,” Jones says in the video. “I just grabbed my license.”

Groubert explains to Jones the reason he shot at him was because Jones dove head first in the vehicle.

The video does not show that Jones “dove” towards the vehicle. It shows him checking his back pocket for his wallet, then reaching into his SUV to retreive it, at which point Groubert shouted at Jones but did not give him time to respond, and instead opened fire on him.
And if you're mentally ill and you encounter the cops? Oh well. You had a good run.
"My heart is so heavy," she told KTLA. "My son was a good kid. He didn't deserve to die the way he did."

Ford, she said, was lying on the ground when the officer shot him in the back three times.

A man claiming to be Ford's cousin told the station he witnessed the incident and that there was no justification for excessive force.

"They laid him out and for whatever reason, they shot him in the back, knowing, mentally, he has complications. Every officer in this area, from the Newton Division, knows that — that this child has mental problems," he told KTLA.
What if you're deaf? Well it doesn't really matter. You should never ever resist the police. The could kill you.
The son of the deaf man killed by the deputy said his father lost his hearing as a child when he contracted the mumps virus. Since then, he’s worn a hearing aid, which allows only 2 percent of sounds to be processed by the brain.

Moreover, family members said the hearing-impaired man’s battery may have been at the end of its life, which could account for him not complying with the officer. Additionally, it would explain in part why employees at the towing company thought he was being belligerent and aggressive, when he was likely yelling because he couldn’t hear well.

The deaf man’s son insisted that he tried desperately to inform the deputy of the man’s condition before he shot him six times, to no avail. He also said his father did not brandish his weapon as police report; it was tucked out of view in his waistband. Moreover, he says his father has a concealed weapons permit in the state of Florida.

“I kept telling them that he can’t hear them. I was right there. I saw the whole thing.”

A transcript of a 911 call from the previous day, apparently of an employee at the business, was released, which offers another account of the events that led to the man being killed by the officer. New information suggests the deaf man and his son were at the same towing company the day before the deputy shot and killed the man.

Stop victim blaming. Resisting arrest is no excuse to be murdered. Nor is it relevant in this discussion.

Volimar

And if your daughter did dress modestly and was with friends and was still raped...what then?

Or if you're black and you follow all those rules and you're still killed what then?

Then you blame the perpetrators of the attacks. Even if your daughter is dressed in a bikini in a blind alley at 3 am, you blame the perpetrators. Even if the black teenager resists and yells about his rights, you bllame the perpetrators of the violence. That's why I agreed that what that one poster was saying could be seen as victim blaming, but I understand talking about teaching your kid how to act around law enforcement. And that's why so many people are angry. It's unfortunate, but for a long time now women have been taught that they have to do what they can to prevent their own rapes. It's almost a line of thought that "Someone is going to be raped, make sure it isn't you." It's a sickening reality to being a woman today.

At this point, Black people are going to get murdered in the streets by cops just for existing, considering the myriad of different things that black people have been killed by cops for.

Trying to be high and mighty and lecturing people on what they need to do to not get murdered by people that is suppose to protect them is unecessary and is Victim Blaming.

I'm guessing you don't have kids. Once you do, you'll find that the things that should be true and the reality of what is true are different things. You tell your kids "I know it shouldn't be this way. It shouldn't be up to you to protect yourself from people that are suppose to serve the community. It shouldn't be up to you to protect you from someone that might want to drug your drink or violently rape you, but that's not the world we live in. So while we work to try to change this world, you my black son, have to be over polite to police, and you my daughter, have to learn how to use your car keys as weapons, and make sure you don't leave your drink unattended.

Whatever you say.

The evidence backed up the verdict, period.

The lack of indictment in this case is 1000x more disturbing than that one.

That entire grand jury was a sham from beginning to end. Multiple witnesses say differently with unconstitutional instructions presented to the grand jury and a cop with a sketchy history and a record of lying and a ridiculous story of a black man charging a police officer after being shot. but the case will never see a fair trail.

If you're fine with that you're part of the problem. PERIOD.

TheJLC

How the fuck was this even possible? Not only is Eric Garner dead, the coroner ruled it a homicide and the cop is on video putting him in a chokehold which has been banned by cops in this city for so long it can buy a drink at a bar. This is some straight up Rodney King bullshit. It was on fucking video, for fuck's sake! Screw you Statin Island, screw you.

Coroner ruling it a homicide was obvious but doesn't equate to murder or manslaughter. The saying "All murders are homicides but not all homicides are murders." applies here. Every police killing = homicide. Doesn't mean it cannot be justified.

However, I do agree that there should have been an indictment base on the evidence. The video clearly shows an officer using an inappropriate technique that caused the death of a person.

There goes the argument of Cameras on cops to fix this. you need to fix the culture of how police view people before a camera can stop anything

Somnid

Different issue. Americans like to punish the wicked. Obviously this thead is an example but perhaps that's the way the cop felt too when he put a guy in a crazy chokehold and why a Grand Jury might pass on the case. We are not really keen on rehabilitation like many European countries are, we want blood and justice and that leads us to becoming more armed and more ready to inflict harm if we feel threatened. Basically, we strongly believe in massive retaliation and while this does incorporate racism, racism is more of a catalyst.

Branduil

lol, okay.

Your posts are ridiculous. People using the whole "not all cops" to distract from a clear systematic problem are assholes, no doubt. And if you are black, you have every right to be angry and to be paranoid and assume your life will be threatened as clearly this system is fucked.

But some on now. All cops dying would magically make the world better...

Comparing all cops to Nazis...

Not as ridiculous as the American Justice System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom