• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

This week is looking pretty good for my family sharing Steam experience. I'm going to be wrapping up Grid 2 and hopefully starting another friend's copy of Metro: Last Light. Then on Friday Batman unlocks on my account and I have 2-3 friends who will be looking into that. Looking a little further down the road I have Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior 2013 and Deadly Premonition lined up.

I'm going through Darksiders 2 on my friend's account, it's kind of neat since I couldn't get into the first game so I hesitate to buy the sequel :D

Seems to be a fun game!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Question to those who have Wizardry 8 in steam.

Do the mods work in the Steam version, like the "fast movement" mod and the modding/editing tool?

DagsJT

Sorry, I should've been clear. I'm after a US key as they get the game tomorrow whereas it's middle of November for Europe. So if I buy from GMG with my UK account, I'll not get the key for a few weeks. Just found Gamersgate are selling it so might use a VPN and buy from there instead.

Well, not sure if this will work but I used the url:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/pc/games/action/lego-marvel-superheroes-na/

Normally GMG blocks NA pages but it seemed to allow this. Anyway, placed my order and it is showing as the NA edition with the release of tomorrow so hopefully I'll get my key tomorrow.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I dunno man, Enhanced Steam is telling me not to buy it.

N0gQpXJ.png

Download links only, no Steam keys

gaben likes me more!

ibdDz5QsaXxPn8.PNG

:p

edit: no, wait, i'm dumb... yeah, a little to much considering my financial situation...

Dr Dogg

Multiplayer was where it was at, at least on PC. I played the hell out of the multiplayer, probably around two thousand hours, and never touched the single player. Rail driver is easily my favorite weapon from any game I have ever played.

Definitely. Shame that in the later titles I felt the MP was given less and less attention, Armageddon was reduced to just a horde-type mode. I doubt I got anywhere near 200 hours let alone 2,000 so fair play.

The game definitely puts its best foot forward, you get your melee weapon about 30 seconds in, your pistol 35 seconds in, and remote explosives at about a minute. I respect that. Agreed that it pretty much falls apart at the end, but I find I can say that about most FPSes.

Never did play RF2 though, my PC by the time it released was a junker, so I made the PS2 choice between it or TimeSplitters 2. I didn't like TS2 all that much but I still think I made the right choice.

It's still quite unique in what it tried to do. I bought it because it sounded like Total Recall: The Game.

Patrick Klepick was talking about Volition on one of the E3 Video podcasts that Giant Bomb did about how they come up with all the crazy and unique design and tech (their office is a stones throw from University of Illinois and they snap up all the recent grads).

Regards to 2 I think it went all DudeBro before that was even a thing. Where as Time Splitters 2 was an absolute blast, especially the massive amount of customisation and modes. Oh and monkeys.

Lime

75% off Dungeon Siege 1-3 on GMG along with 25 % coupon GMG25-GRV7N-YY833

EDIT: Seems like vouchers doesn't work on this deal

For those interested in Eldritch, here are my blog impressions:
Beyond 2005's Call of Cthulhu and the more recent Magrunners, it seems that games inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos have been few and far between. (I may be mistaken though). Eldritch plans to change that by combining the otherworldly mythology of Lovecraftian fiction with the tension and thrill of a first-person roguelike.

You begin your journey into the world of Eldritch within a mysterious endless library. This is your hub world, where you can customize your character, choose which level to explore, and just not worry about dying. Levels are represented by mystical books; reading from them pulls you into the procedurally-generated enemy-infested worlds described within their pages.

The elements that make Eldritch stand out from other first person roguelikes is its emphasis on stealth and its varied combat. You can crouch, slide, and lean to peek around corners like in Thief. Footsteps and sprinting make noise and can alert enemies. Bottles and rocks can be thrown to distract enemies. Of the three weapons currently available, your revolver is loud but powerful, your knife is silent, and your crossbow is also silent and can set tripwire traps.

Adding to the stealth mechanics and combat in general is the magic system. Throughout the levels, you collect artifacts that act as both mana and currency. Spells endowed upon you by deity statues require certain amounts of artifacts per use, giving the game a risk-reward element. Do you use your artifacts to cast spells that can distract enemies and unlock doors, create powerful explosion, allow you to teleport, and more, or do you save them to purchase weapons, ammo, and special gear at shopkeepers in each level? Death is final, so choose wisely, although you can save certain amounts of artifacts across attempts by saving them in chests.

Eldritch is still in development so there are kinks and balancing issues to be found. For a game hoping to be a roguelike, I was never lacking ammo or artifacts and some of the enemies, especially those in the first world, are just too easy to kill. Luckily the other worlds up the difficulty with enemies that can't be killed, only temporally stopped and statues that rumble to life in your presence. However for a game inspired by Lovecraftian fiction, I was hoping for more surreal otherworldly enemy designs. The knife and revolver also feel much too overpowered. But these are issues that can easily be remedied as the beta improves and don't detract from the game's overall polish and gameplay.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
so I take it that bookterr thing was nothing?

It might be, it might not be, but after the Half-Life 3 trademark registration thing, it'd make more sense to have evidence besides "a domain is registered and the name the person who registered it has the words Valve Software in it". Like, you know, nameservers pointing to something that indicates that it's Valve's, or proof of the name being used somewhere else or really anything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, got it. I've edited the op to reflect. But looks like we're getting somewhere, been speaking to Mr_Shade over pm to straighten out some facts and while nothings been said, the fact that times being taken to look into it makes me optimistic.

Fingers crossed!

Grief.exe

I suspect it'll be brought back eventually. Bethesda and Acti managed to see eye to eye on Quake 4, so there's a precedent.

Well they are bringing out a new Wolfenstein game soon, so hopefully they will get a deal worked out. Both companies stand to make money off of the deal so I don't see why not.

nexen

Well they are bringing out a new Wolfenstein game soon, so hopefully they will get a deal worked out. Both companies stand to make money off of the deal so I don't see why not.

Speaking of Bethesda, where is that list of GFWL games that are getting patched? I don't recall Fallout 3 on that list.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of Bethesda, where is that list of GFWL games that are getting patched? I don't recall Fallout 3 on that list.

All we know so far is:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are having GFWL replaced with Steamworks (with the GOTY flavours already at this point)
- BioShock 2 has had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm
- Codemasters is removing GFWL from Dirt 3, while Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at"
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is having GFWL removed (no word yet on whether Steamworks will replace it)
- GFWL is being removed from various Capcom games, but again we don't yet know if Steamworks will be put in its stead

Everything else is up in the air at this juncture.

Edit: Added sources.

For stealth-puzzle fans I'd recommend Stealth Bastard Deluxe from the deals. Really solid title, which focuses more on puzzle-platforming compared to Mark of the Ninja, but opposed to MotN, you can't make takedowns, and once you get spotted you can't fight. And opposed to the sprawling, multi-path levels, this is test chamber based.

I had some performance related issues with it, where occasionally it'd slow down from 60fps to 30-40fps. But this was near launch.

It might be, it might not be, but after the Half-Life 3 trademark registration thing, it'd make more sense to have evidence besides "a domain is registered and the name the person who registered it has the words Valve Software in it". Like, you know, nameservers pointing to something that indicates that it's Valve's, or proof of the name being used somewhere else or really anything.

Yeah, makes sense.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Got a Snowball after seeing it recommended in here a few weeks ago. This thing is amazing. Leagues better than my headset.

Chronoja

Test Drive: Ferrari is a weekly deal, but watch out since it has GFWL even though it doesn't mention it on the store page.

GFWL aside the game screams "high priority: licensing issues likely, game will probably get removed from steam at some point in the future"

Xanathus

Steam is blocked here, what are the weekly deals?

Yeah it would be pretty darn convenient if there was a Gaffer who posted the deals for us here every week. Guess I'll have to pick up the slack this week.

Rochard - $1.99 (-80%)
Arena Wars 2 - $2.49 (-75%)
Spellforce Complete - $12.49 (-75%)
STORM: Frontline Nation - $2.49 (-75%)
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - $6.79 (-66%)
Primal Carnage - $7.49 (-50%)
Space Empires IV and V Pack - $4.99 (-75%)
Reign: Conflict of Nations - $4.99 (-75%)
Stealth Bastard Deluxe - $3.00 (-75%)
Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - $5.00 (-75%)
Clickr - $2.99 (-70%)
Zeno Clash 2 - $9.99 (-50%)
Crazy Machines - $3.39 (-66%)
Crazy Machines 2 - $6.79 (-66%)
Death to Spies: Gold - $6.24 (-75%)
Ittle Dew - $6.99 (-50%)
Fantasy Wars - $3.74 (-75%)
Jack Keane 2 - The Fire Within - $12.00 (-60%)
Serious Sam Double D XXL - $2.50 (-75%)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom