• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Dead space was boring, predictable and hardly scary.
Amnesia almost made me piss my pants.

Hey, funny how things work out. I've just recently finished Amnesia and was personally not particularly impressed by the fear aspect of the game.
Not that it isn't scary, in fact I played in plain light and yes, no shit, if you put the lights off and put on a headset you may have the fear of your life. But IMHO it is really the result of a stellar sound department.
The AI couldn't make a coherent move to save its life ( how many times did a monster just stand there next to me), and I'm with the killjoys that think too much jump scare kills fear. And finally, while evidently and god be blessed a software can't hurt you, but early on there was a disconnection in my brain : I realized that if caught I would respawn, without penalty... fear annihilated and monster becoming annoyances.
Now I wouldn't advocate for a hardcore Amnesia, but just a little bit in the way of failure consequence could have been good. Or terrifying and I would have stopped playing eh... Or scratch that, not difficulty, just a better AI.
In fact I really liked the easy but often logical puzzles a lot more and I wonder if the past games of the dev wouldn't be perfect for that.

Omikron

Left over keys and stuff!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556110.
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-78B62B193F98DDC3 - Taken by Mleugie. 3 entrants total.
Ticket to Ride -- MB-EE15AECF48EF0FE2 - Taken by schwupp. 15 entrants total.
Worms Reloaded -- MB-80968D93A9AE43BB - Taken by Madrugador. 35 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-F1B09D52C673D14E - Taken by Razorskin. 3 entrants total.
War of the Roses: Kingmaker -- MB-46C1343DF2EBD230 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk. 10 entrants total.
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-3F0FFB3C0CB3C165 - Taken by Horsemama1956. 6 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-F4D1BA0B3699C350 - Taken by ChiefofCitadelSecurity. 1 entrants total.

t1382402567z1.png

chronomac

No one answered my question earlier so I'll ask again: I bought Stronghold HD on Amazon a long time ago and it was just added to Steam. Will I get a Steam key? Guessing not.

Left over keys and stuff!

Entered for Worms, the only one I don't have. Thanks!

Bummer, was playing the Stanley Parable when I hit a random button while paused to adjust the volume and a portal 2 esqe menu popped up with "#nosteammarketid" or something of that nature. Weird.

I assume the adjustable FOV slider is a gag because it doesn't save?

I don't know why but I'm thinking about getting ittle dew. I know it's a zelda clone..... Is it at least a good zelda clone/parody? Some of the humor in the trailer looked a little too self aware.

The_Monk

I lost track on the info regarding GFWL with Batman AA. Some GAFfers said there was a patch that put the game back on using GFWL or something similar. Is this situation completely solved by now? Can people simply download their Batman games and play/unlock Steam achievements without a single issue?

Grief.exe

I lost track on the info regarding GFWL with Batman AA. Some GAFfers said there was a patch that put the game back on using GFWL or something similar. Is this situation completely solved by now? Can people simply download their Batman games and play/unlock Steam achievements without a single issue?

Download the GOTY edition and there won't be any issues.

That was actually just for Arkham City, and it was fixed within hours.

The_Monk

Download the GOTY edition and there won't be any issues.

That was actually just for Arkham City, and it was fixed within hours.

Thank you for answering kind Grief. AA GOTY has always been the only version I got. Great to know. It's on my to play-very-soon list.

Turfster

I don't know why but I'm thinking about getting ittle dew. I know it's a zelda clone..... Is it at least a good zelda clone/parody? Some of the humor in the trailer looked a little too self aware.

Ittle Dew was amazingly fun and well worth the whatever it was I spent on the groupees bundle it came in.

nexen

Ittle Dew was amazingly fun and well worth the whatever it was I spent on the groupees bundle it came in.

seconded. Ittle Dew is charming.
Also, as far as Zelda clones go, I'm enjoying the hell out of Anodyne.

It's like Ittle Dew's dark and twisted shadow.

It was one of those games that ended up a lot better than I thought. There are some baffling issues, such as a lack of polish on combat and a lot more apparent effort elsewhere but it is well worth a go.

The humor doesn't really get in the way. It is pretty much skip a cutscene and jump into the dungeons.

No offence taken hehe, yea, seems I'll wait on it for now.

Also Dead Space is awesome, so enjoy!

Good :) and thanks! I've just finished the first chapter so am going to break for the night so I don't give myself nightmares :/.

I just accidentally discovered how to change the firing mode to a horizontal plane so that should help :). I knew that was an option from hearing people talk about it over the years but had completely forgotten about it.

Oh and that insubordinate crew member is in need of such a slap! I hope I get to see her die in a really gruesome way up close and personal before the game is done *evil grin*.

The audio in this game is really effective; that's much of what is unsettling to me I think. It's rather purdy too with the graphic options cranked up.

I was feeling pretty uninspired about what to start in my backlog earlier but am so glad I decided on this now that I've played it. I also have The 39 Steps on the go which is a slightly different experience :). It is probably best served in smallish chunks though so I might well swap between the two games for maximum contrast!

I just accidentally discovered how to change the firing mode to a horizontal plane so that should help :). I knew that was an option from hearing people talk about it over the years but had completely forgotten about it.

It is still really cool to play around with that. It is such a shame they basically removed it from the third game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The_Monk

What? That was one of the more interesting parts of Dead Space.

One thing I also like from the Dead Space games is how clean/minimal the Screen is without too much HUD. You see games with health bars, XP bars, how many bullets you have on your gun, a compass, the current mission/goal and so on. I actually think that is too much and it's a shame when it's not possible to remove them but Dead Space was actually very clever. Your health is in the suit, the number of bullets are a little laser square on the gun and you can check anytime where you need to go with just one press of a button.

All that HUD-free space leaves plenty of room for the atmosphere. Wish more game considered that.

Cheddahz

Banned
Just updated all of the new profile backgrounds into Enhanced Steam and noticed this:

http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=%22Agarest:%20Generations%20of%20War%22%20Profile%20Background

Those Agarest background prices...

Strangely, the "Tapestry" background is going for about $0.20, but the other two "common" backgrounds (Valeria and Fyuria) are going for $5.46 and $7.56.

I guess it just goes to show, nobody wants shitty looking backgrounds.

Does the more expensive backgrounds show more "kawaii" things?

Is the DLC upgrade option for Deus Ex going to go up in 8 hours? Trying to finish my current playthrough.

Is it going to be a completely different title similar to Batman AC GOTY or what?

Dr Dogg

Weapon crafting, while fun, completely ruined the balance of Dead Space 3. Universal ammo didn't help either. Where as the first and most of the second relied on dismemberment the third felt really broken in that regard. By about half way through I had made some triple barreled super gun that had an alt fire weapon that would insta gib most necros in one hit and the ones it didn't kill afflicted them with a short burst of stasis so you could easily mow them down. Chasing that COD money.

Weapon crafting, while fun, completely ruined the balance of Dead Space 3. Universal ammo didn't help either.

Universal ammo + crafting system to make more ammo + a shit load more resources then you could ever need + a rocket launcher + a chip that makes you immune to your own rocket damage + horror game = 23.

And 23 is not the number you want for a horror game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does the more expensive backgrounds show more "kawaii" things?

This is the one that is the most "revealing"

750x400

Guess I'm not too surprised considering it came from the same series as this...

B00354NBF4.le.lg.jpg

jshackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom