• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Big Rig said:
Got my Just Cause 2 disc from GoGamer, typed the code into steam, and started downloading. The box and disc just lost all meaning.
My Saints Row 2 disc shipped with a BB sized indentation in it. So of course it didn't work in the disc drive but Steam allowed me download and install anyway. Later I found out that the person who put the hole in it was only trying to do the world a favor.

The only benefit of having a lot of games on Steam is that when the sales come, there is less opportunity for Valve to make you their bitch... oh wait, the less games you want = the more games you already bought =(

Smash88

Banned
Visualante said:
I dunno about everyone else but the Summer sale sucked for me. I only bought EVE and that was 90% off. I'll probably pick up some random indie games and maybe Silent Hunter.

Yeah the Summer Sale wasn't something that really made me want to get a game. The sale was great for what it was, but not low enough for my budget.

graywolf323 said:
I don't think the holiday sale will cost me as much this year as it did last year

solely because last year I bought almost everything I wanted and then some :lol so now most likely anything on sale I'll already own >_<

If you want you can always pay for the 20 games on my wishlist. :p

zombieshavebrains said:
Man, after years of WoW i think i'm finally realizing that i need something i can grind the shit out of. I liked nothing more than pumping some music through the cans and grinding stuff out. I did this with Fifa and Borderlands as well. I just need something that i don't need to listen to the sounds of the game, i can properly play it with a controller, and can just grind for hours with. Not looking like it exists. And if i could find a way to play diablo or torchlight with just a controller i'd probably do that too.
I actually formed a way to play WoW with a controller that worked really really well for grinding.

Disgaea? I always grind on it when my wife wants me to watch tv with her

TheExodu5

Banned
ohhthegore said:

Disgaea 2 is like, the best grinding game ever. You can literally grind for a good 300-400 hours in that game before getting everything you need.

Phife Dawg said:
Why not install from disc? Should be faster, no?

Not if you have really fast internet! My internet isn't quite fast enough (25mbps), but even then, Modern Warfare 2 only takes about 45 minutes to download. Plenty of people here probably have 50/100mbit lines. I think the MW2 disc install takes around 30 minutes. So yeah.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ohhthegore said:
Would love it if NIS ported Disgaea to the PC, but that is laughably unlikely. At least the game is a good fit for the PSP giving the system purpose.

TheExodu5

Banned
Drkirby said:
Would love it if NIS ported Disgaea to the PC, but that is laughably unlikely. At least the game is a good fit for the PSP giving the system purpose.

God that would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Persona 3 Portable and Disgaea give purpose to my PSP Go. ^_^

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If the Go somehow manages to get to 75% off at Target (Right now its clearanced out at 30%, but Black Friday is also coming so they may all just fly off the shelves then), I am getting it without second thought. I own about a dozen PSN titles, and I am pretty sure they still have the "Get 3 games to PLEASE BUY THESE UNSELLING PIECES OF HARDWARE :("

TheExodu5

Banned
I bought mine a few months back for $125 at Rogers (Canada). They were clearing them out. Got the 3 games with it (+ Rock Band [5 songs]). I've only played P3P and Disgaea on it though. Still completely worth it...it's so portable compared to my PSP2000.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope the complete digital pack of the Magic the Gathering goes on sale for $10 sometime soon, would love to pick it up at that price. Also would really love it if Yugioh was put up. The cards have gotten a bit whacky now, but the basic game is still damn good IMO.

TheExodu5 said:
Not if you have really fast internet! My internet isn't quite fast enough (25mbps), but even then, Modern Warfare 2 only takes about 45 minutes to download. Plenty of people here probably have 50/100mbit lines. I think the MW2 disc install takes around 30 minutes. So yeah.
Well I only have measly 2mbit but even then I have a retail copy of JC2 and from what I remember it didn't take 30 minutes to install. Point taken though. It's funny how internet can be faster now than lan connections back in the days.

coopolon

Drkirby said:
I hope the complete digital pack of the Magic the Gathering goes on sale for $10 sometime soon, would love to pick it up at that price. Also would really love it if Yugioh was put up. The cards have gotten a bit whacky now, but the basic game is still damn good IMO.

I bought it last time for $10 and am freaking loving it. What a great game. Of course they've since released a new expansion, so now I need to pick up that on sale (I'm still only like 50% through the original content. It's a great pick up, play for 5 minutes, put back down again game.) Unfortunately I kind of suck at Magic and sometimes the computer at normal still kicks my ass. Freaking blue...

Frozen Synapse is heading to Steam when it's finished:

Hi,

We're really happy to announce that Frozen Synapse will be released on Steam when the full version comes out next year.

If you pre-order the game from us at http://www.frozensynapse.com, you'll get a free Steam key on release, so you can get all of the benefits of having the game on there.

If you've already pre-ordered, don't worry! We'll send you a free Steam key when the time comes as well.

Thanks very much for your support so far - it's really encouraging as we press on with development.

I've posted a few details of how we're doing up on IndieDB - http://www.indiedb.com/games/frozen-synapse.

We'd really value your help with something: we'd like to be voted IndieDB Indie of the Year! Here's how you can make this happen...

1. Sign up for an IndieDB account if you don't have one already

Just go to http://www.indiedb.com and sign up

2. Sign in to your account

3. Go to our profile page (http://www.indiedb.com/games/frozen-synapse/) and click on the green VOTE FOR THIS INDIE button near the top

Please do register an account to vote - guest votes aren't as valuable!

Once again, many thanks and we'll keep you updated as we press on towards release. As ever, do just mail me back if you have any questions about Frozen Synapse.

All the best,

Paul Taylor

Mode 7 Games

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
crimsonheadGCN said:
Frozen Synapse is heading to Steam when it's finished:
Everyone complained about XCom and Front Mission being shooters but the Frozen Synapse thread never even made it past 2 pages. I thought people wanted more turn based stuff.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MisterNugNug said:
Man, when is Dungeon Defenders coming out!?!?!?!
Delayed to January. They mentioned in the forums that the game is pretty much done and they're working on free DLC in the intervening months. I'm speculating that they missed their November XBLA slot and MS won't let them release the game on other platforms first.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SapientWolf said:
Delayed to January. They mentioned in the forums that the game is pretty much done and they're working on free DLC in the intervening months. I'm speculating that they missed their November XBLA slot and MS won't let them release the game on other platforms first.
Fuck Microsoft. What a bunch of cunts.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stallion Free said:
Fuck Microsoft. What a bunch of cunts.
Well, the game still would have been delayed even without the requirement for a simultaneous launch. Just not as long, I guess.

The silver lining is that the Android and iOS versions are scheduled for December.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
coopolon said:
I bought it last time for $10 and am freaking loving it. What a great game. Of course they've since released a new expansion, so now I need to pick up that on sale (I'm still only like 50% through the original content. It's a great pick up, play for 5 minutes, put back down again game.) Unfortunately I kind of suck at Magic and sometimes the computer at normal still kicks my ass. Freaking blue...

Same here :) Would love to make some online matches against Gaffers but I cant try as it somehow hangs up when trying to connect online.

kswiston

LovingSteam said:
The only benefit of having a lot of games on Steam is that when the sales come, there is less opportunity for Valve to make you their bitch... oh wait, the less games you want = the more games you already bought =(

I am getting to this point. I have a short list of games I am hoping to get during the Thanksgiving or Xmas sales, but it won't be like last year where I buy 60 titles (half of those were pop cap games).

What I am hoping for:

Dead Space - $5 (to replace my 360 version)
Batman: AA GOTY - $10-15 (missed the last sale)
Fallout GOTY - $15-20 (another 360 replacement. I have seen it for $30 regular price in retail. Steam needs to drop the $50 price tag now that New Vegas is out)
Just Cause 2 - $7.50-15
Bad Company 2 - $5-10
Last Remnant - $10

In addition to those 6, there are always going to be some indie games that are on sale for between $1-5 that I will impulse buy, and a few surprises that are too good to pass up. I would also consider Civ 5 if it has a decent discount (say 35-50%).

kswiston said:
I am getting to this point. I have a short list of games I am hoping to get during the Thanksgiving or Xmas sales, but it won't be like last year where I buy 60 titles (half of those were pop cap games).

What I am hoping for:

Dead Space - $5 (to replace my 360 version)
Batman: AA GOTY - $10-15 (missed the last sale)
Fallout GOTY - $15-20 (another 360 replacement. I have seen it for $30 regular price in retail. Steam needs to drop the $50 price tag now that New Vegas is out)
Just Cause 2 - $7.50-15
Bad Company 2 - $5-10
Last Remnant - $10

In addition to those 6, there are always going to be some indie games that are on sale for between $1-5 that I will impulse buy, and a few surprises that are too good to pass up. I would also consider Civ 5 if it has a decent discount (say 35-50%).

You'll most likely get all of those prices.

coopolon said:
I feel like there's no skill involved. I guess that's more a complaint with MtG in general than this iteration, but it doesn't help that you can't build your own deck.

Volcynika

I'll make the thread again for the holiday sale when it starts :p

Though I doubt anyone will remember me saying this by the time it starts :lol

Twig

Banned
Salaadin said:
I think last year it ran from Xmas day to New Years day or something.
This is about right. Shortly before Christmas to shortly after New Year's.

Also, don't forget they did a Black Friday sale last year, so there might be that again, too.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Schmattakopf said:
I feel like there's no skill involved. I guess that's more a complaint with MtG in general than this iteration, but it doesn't help that you can't build your own deck.
Yeah well, I need to admit that not having the possibility of creating your own decks except from choosing the preset extra cards for each deck is very limiting. But I had matches with a friend that could very well last 4 hours trying to consider every strategy and possibility. Played with the right guys you need MUCH strategy/skill. Its a bit like chess in that regard. Relatively simple after the game opening but you need lots of skill to actually win, even if you have a good deck, if you are playing against another good player.

coopolon

Schmattakopf said:

Without deck building it certainly leaves out a huge part of MtG. But at least back when I played MtG, it always seemed like everyone pretty much built the same decks anyway because for that edition they had proven to be the best decks.

I certainly find some matches where I don't get enough land or my opponent doesn't and whoever has the mana wins. But most of the games I find myself thinking, would this be better or would that be better, and I still lose games sometimes that I think I could have won if I'd done something differently. But I'm by no means a great MtG player, I was one of the worst in my group of friends back in middle school, and I haven't played since so I'm probably even worse now.

It's fun for me because it really provides the streamlined experience I'm looking for and satisfies that itch quickly and competently.

kswiston

graywolf323 said:
I'd love all the Fallout 3 DLC to be 75% off since I already own Fallout 3 vanilla on Steam

Fallout 3 DLC is 5x$10 = $50
Fallout 3 GOTY is $50

If the GOTY edition is 75% off ($15), it's the same as getting the DLC at 75% off. Only thing you lose out on is 5GB of bandwidth re-downloading the base game.

graywolf323

kswiston said:
Fallout 3 DLC is 5x$10 = $50
Fallout 3 GOTY is $50

If the GOTY edition is 75% off ($15), it's the same as getting the DLC at 75% off. Only thing you lose out on is 5GB of bandwidth re-downloading the base game.

I'd rather have the DLC at $15 since I already have the base game, why further clutter my games list by having Fallout 3 on it twice?

d1rtn4p

graywolf323 said:
I'd rather have the DLC at $15 since I already have the base game, why further clutter my games list by having Fallout 3 on it twice?

I struggle with the same thing all the time... Waiting on the DLC to drop in price also...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hey does anyone have Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2? Do they run similarly? I only played Dragon Age on PS3 and think it would be a lot better on PC. I played the Mass Effect 2 demo max everything & 60fps and perfect, but then Fallout 3, while smooth in gameplay, seems to be a bit "hitchy" in the visuals no matter what the settings, which The Witcher (probably running 200fps lol) also does.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
Hey does anyone have Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2? Do they run similarly? I only played Dragon Age on PS3 and think it would be a lot better on PC. I played the Mass Effect 2 demo max everything & 60fps and perfect, but then Fallout 3, while smooth in gameplay, seems to be a bit "hitchy" in the visuals no matter what the settings, which The Witcher (probably running 200fps lol) also does.
You should be able to run DAO fine if you run ME2 maxed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom