• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

HL2 looks nice, kinda wanting to double dip on Orange Box when it comes down for the sale...whats the cheapest the valve complete pack has gone for, anyway?

ArjanN

Toma said:
Funny thing that all people here seem to dislike Prototype (never played it) but it actually has 10% more on gamerankings and is not that lowly ranked with 83%. Must be a polarizing game.

I loved it, but I know there are a bunch of haters for it here.

It's not very polished but they give you a ton of powers, you feel like a complete badass, and if you do a bunch of the challenges, you'll realize the controls actually have more depth to them than it might seem at first. For me it makes most other open world games like GTA seem very slow and boring

Shaneus

I remember it having a similar vibe to Crackdown.

PS. Stoked to see that TDU2 is #1 on the sales list in the racing genre, despite not being out at all (and several other racers being out that aren't all that bad). Well done to them!

BIT TRIP BEAT is going to be a part of an indie bundle on one of the sale days:

And the word on the street is that a special BIT.TRIP BEAT PC/Mac sale might be taking place in the next couple of days as well. And it’ll be bundled with all kinds of other yummy goodness, so keep your eyes on the Steam service and put some money in your Steam Wallet in preparation.

It'd be cool if it was a "Meat Friends" bundle. Bit Trip, Aquaria, World of Goo, Braid, Machinarium, VVVVVV. Though I own all those except Bit Trip (which I own on Wii)...

Teknoman

Anyone having trouble with voices cutting out earlier in Deus Ex? People never finish their entire sentence before the game closes the dialog.

Baha

Teknoman said:
Anyone having trouble with voices cutting out earlier in Deus Ex? People never finish their entire sentence before the game closes the dialog.

Check the steam forums, the community for games on steam seems to be pretty good for documenting and finding bug fixes. Go to Library > click Deus Ex > click on forums on the right side of the window (should be the 1st link at the top).

Joe Molotov

HadesGigas said:

It'd be cool if it was a "Meat Friends" bundle. Bit Trip, Aquaria, World of Goo, Braid, Machinarium, VVVVVV. Though I own all those except Bit Trip (which I own on Wii)...

I love these indie bundles, even though I usually already have half of them. Even so, already owning 3/5 of this latest bundle, it's like 75% off of the other two.

Teknoman said:

You're not actually supposed to play the games you buy during these sales. They're just supposed to burden you with guilt.

Yes, I had that problem too last time I played it, I'd appreciate a fix as well.

HadesGigas said:

That would be a pretty cool way to do it.

Does anyone know how good is the emulation quality of the Genesis games on steam? Are the graphics blurry? Are there filters? How about the music?

Kraut

Totally would have gone in on the Borderlands six pack, but then I checked and saw it wasn't the GotY. Oh well, already jumped on Deus Ex pack, looking forward to not playing anything for at least a few weeks while finals finish up :lol

Teknoman

Baha said:
Check the steam forums, the community for games on steam seems to be pretty good for documenting and finding bug fixes. Go to Library > click Deus Ex > click on forums on the right side of the window (should be the 1st link at the top).

Thanks i'll check it out.

TouchMyBox said:
You're not actually supposed to play the games you buy during these sales. They're just supposed to burden you with guilt.

Yes, I had that problem too last time I played it, I'd appreciate a fix as well.

Heh thats why im hesitating on snagging Alpha Protocol. I'm just getting around to trying to play Stalker SoC after that 99 cent gifting spree.

stuminus3

The user comments on that Tom Chick page are unbelievable. It's like someone poured a Youtube community through a sieve and drained away the last glimmer of intelligence and kept the crap. I seriously hope they were written by children and not grown men.

1-D_FTW

stuminus3 said:
The user comments on that Tom Chick page are unbelievable. It's like someone poured a Youtube community through a sieve and drained away the last glimmer of intelligence and kept the crap. I seriously hope they were written by children and not grown men.

He has a habit of going against sacred cows. And fanboys of those games hold LONG grudges.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
To be fair, Tom Chick was right about Civ 5. I think I was mad at his low score because I was caught up in the post release euphoria, but after things calmed down, he was pretty much on the money.

1-D_FTW

Archie said:
To be fair, Tom Chick was right about Civ 5. I think I was mad at his low score because I was caught up in the post release euphoria, but after things calmed down, he was pretty much on the money.

I think he's on the money more often than not. I have an occasional WTF *cough*Deus Ex*cough*, but generally speaking, have a very similar sensibility towards games. One of the few professionals out there I actually read.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
HadesGigas said:
Oh shit, if that was a bundle i'd double dip on World of Goo.
Actually, replace either that or Braid with Gish and we're good to go.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just had a nice lengthy session with Alpha Protocol. Game is awesome. Plays perfectly with a controller, too.

Its production values are less than stellar, but who gives a shit. Don't miss out on this, people.

Old Lace

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Just had a nice lengthy session with Alpha Protocol. Game is awesome. Plays perfectly with a controller, too.

Its production values are less than stellar, but who gives a shit. Don't miss out on this, people.
Did it seem too fast to you? I just tried playing it for a bit and it seemed janky.

Instro

Old Lace said:
Did it seem too fast to you? I just tried playing it for a bit and it seemed janky.

I think someone was having the same problem in the sale thread, iirc the solution is to turn off level streaming or something like that by modifying one of the ini files.

kamspy

You guys need to slow down the running and walking speeds with this config.

Change these values in APGame.ini (My Documents)

InteractDistance=250
CoverWalkSpeed=75.f
CoverRunSpeed=125.f
PlayerRotationSpeed=80000.0f
MoveSpeedNormal=240
MoveSpeedScoped=80
SprintSpeed=320

Much better. Especially in cover. There's also some extensive shader tweaking to be done in the config. If anyone is interested let me know.

Dennis

Banned
kamspy said:

InteractDistance=250
CoverWalkSpeed=75.f
CoverRunSpeed=125.f
MoveSpeedNormal=240
MoveSpeedScoped=80
SprintSpeed=320

Much better. Especially in cover. There's also some extensive shader tweaking to be done in the config. If anyone is interested let me know.
I am interested - lets hear it, please.

Baha

kamspy said:

InteractDistance=250
CoverWalkSpeed=75.f
CoverRunSpeed=125.f
MoveSpeedNormal=240
MoveSpeedScoped=80
SprintSpeed=320

Please do.

kamspy said:

InteractDistance=250
CoverWalkSpeed=75.f
CoverRunSpeed=125.f
MoveSpeedNormal=240
MoveSpeedScoped=80
SprintSpeed=320

I am interest.

Blizzard

Banned
platypotamus said:
Wanted to add the Settlers 7 Gold to my wishlist for this raffle so bad, but it still has the "must always be online" ubisoft shittastic DRM, and while I can deal with securom, I cannot handle that.
I actually was considering HAWX 2, until I checked and realized it had the always-online thing too. :( It's kind of sad that I find myself literally passing up the possibility of a free game because I don't want to encourage that, and I want games I buy to be playable offline. The point about servers going down is good. Hopefully they eventually stop this or patch the DRM out when the servers are dead.

platypotamus said:
Wanted to add the Settlers 7 Gold to my wishlist for this raffle so bad, but it still has the "must always be online" ubisoft shittastic DRM, and while I can deal with securom, I cannot handle that.
That's so disappointing. I'm used to not caring about new Ubisoft games so that hasn't really bothered me before...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
kamspy said:

InteractDistance=250
CoverWalkSpeed=75.f
CoverRunSpeed=125.f
MoveSpeedNormal=240
MoveSpeedScoped=80
SprintSpeed=320

Tweaking, config? Do tell.

Also, thanks for the above, when I get round to AP it'll come in handy. As for when that is, it depends on how long GT5 holds me, how much F1 2010 I play, and what other games go on sale this week.

Steam, you have my credit card, you have my consent, just please, don't rape me too hard.

platypotamus said:
oh common!

I was very sceptical at first but I had no problem whatsoever at all with it. The only issue is if you want to play on the go. Other than that it's the best DRM after Steam itself! I have a really shitty internet connection (300k) and it works just fine all the time, even when I download something and there is no bandwidth left at all. Bought AC II few weeks ago and had no problem with that game as well.

If you want to see if it works for you, just download the settlers 7 demo. It uses the system too and you can check everything out!

Oh and I doubt they'll close the servers anytime in the near future. They are based on Amazon Cloud so their costs scale with the usage.

mrgone

Caesar III said:
oh common!

I was very sceptical at first but I had no problem whatsoever at all with it. The only issue is if you want to play on the go. Other than that it's the best DRM after Steam itself! I have a really shitty internet connection (300k) and it works just fine all the time, even when I download something and there is no bandwidth left at all. Bought AC II few weeks ago and had no problem with that game as well.

If you want to see if it works for you, just download the settlers 7 demo. It uses the system too and you can check everything out!

Oh and I doubt they'll close the servers anytime in the near future. They are based on Amazon Cloud so their costs scale with the usage.

I still don't think "it works for me" is much justification for a system with so many potential downsides to paying customers. It almost feels contemptuous, like being in a store as a kid with employees following you around everywhere so you don't steal or break anything. It's insulting and a little humiliating.

Acosta

Oh man, is going to be a long week for my wallet.

Got Shank and the indie pack (+super meat boy preorder). Shank is pretty fun and I'm enjoying it. Have to try the indie pack yet.

Buy Alpha Protocol while you can, it´s not perfect but it has a lot of great things to offer (like Steven Heck!, one of the funniest characters this gen).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom