• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, not liking Just Cause 2 at all, kind of regretting the purchase. It just doesn't feel right and the gunplay is all wrong. Everything else also screams turd... but I'll give it a while longer, I reckon. Hopefully it picks up.
Your complaints are kind of unspecific -- you may indeed end up hating the game, but I hardly think it can be described as a turd. It performs well, has low loading times, looks nice, and has fast-paced movement capability. That seems at least to merit the designation of "not quite turd" in my book, or maybe "two levels above turd" at least!

If you don't mind my asking, what aspects do not feel right to you? If the auto-aim from the guns is bothering you, or if you don't like the delay (i.e. when shooting without a gun ready, or from behind cover) then I can understand that.

Yeah while I am not in on this love fest of Just Cause 2, I did manage to have fun with it for a few hours. Until I got bored and returned it to blockbuster.

Blizzard

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Yeah while I am not in on this love fest of Just Cause 2, I did manage to have fun with it for a few hours. Until I got bored and returned it to blockbuster.
It's hardly a love fest if it's only 2-3 people! It's more of a...

LOVE CARPOOL :D

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, not liking Just Cause 2 at all, kind of regretting the purchase. It just doesn't feel right and the gunplay is all wrong. Everything else also screams turd... but I'll give it a while longer, I reckon. Hopefully it picks up.

Not to blindly defend the game, because if it doesn't click with you then it just doesn't click with you. But as someone who really enjoyed the game, I'm curious - are you trying to play it like a 3rd person shooter, or a game where you combine these wacky-if-shallow mechanics to do stupid awesome things? Because it's pretty terrible if you play it as the former, but pretty awesome (in my opinion) if you play it as the latter.

Campster said:
Not to blindly defend the game, because if it doesn't click with you then it just doesn't click with you. But as someone who really enjoyed the game, I'm curious - are you trying to play it like a 3rd person shooter, or a game where you combine these wacky-if-shallow mechanics to do stupid awesome things? Because it's pretty terrible if you play it as the former, but pretty awesome (in my opinion) if you play it as the latter.

Yeah, I might be trying to play it too straightforward.

Really don't like the auto-aim and weird feel that the game has to it though. It sort of reminds me of the feel of early PS2 games or the True Crime games.

Shaneus

opticalmace said:
Hats sell everything.
izxef7.gif

Kritz

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:

JC2 has a very large initial "oh god this game is not very good at all" feeling, that once you get into the swing of things, slowly turns into "good lord this game is so much fun I don't even know why I want to blow up all the red things anymore but I am going to do it for the next three days straight!"

JC2 is a stupid, mundane barely functional game at points. But you know, it's surprisingly easy to forget that once you max out your LMG, mod in infinite grapple distance, and start enjoying the world for what it is.

My favourite moment in JC2 was when I stole a scooter, and drove it around the entire world.

But, yeah, it's not for everyone.

pilonv1

Kritz said:
My favourite moment in JC2 was when I stole a scooter, and drove it around the entire world.

I liked doing the flying under bridges achievement. It's really fun. If you're trying to play it as a standard shooter you're doing it wrong.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, I might be trying to play it too straightforward.

Really don't like the auto-aim and weird feel that the game has to it though. It sort of reminds me of the feel of early PS2 games or the True Crime games.

Yeah, I totally get that - if you're playing as a shooter the autoaim makes the whole thing seem tacky and cheap.

Once you start pulling stupid tricks, though, the autoaim becomes a necessity, especially if you're playing with a gamepad. Hooking a guard to a car as it drives by, then shooting him with a revolver as he's dragged away is basically impossible without it. Or gliding over a road, attaching yourself to a car, then dropping grenades right in the center of a group of enemies with ease. The aiming helps you do these complicated but awesome things that would otherwise be a once-in-a-rare-while sort of event.

Honestly, I'd put Just Cause 2 in the same bucket as Far Cry 2: If you're into making your own fun the game can be absolutely amazing blast. Both let you out into an open world with a few simple but interconnected tools at your disposal and let you see if you can come up with some hilarious stories or amazing successful attacks with enough creativity and effort. If you want the games to just be fun, though, they're mostly frustrating, clunky, and repetitive. They are not themselves awesome experiences, but rather tools that you can - with elbow grease - create awesome experiences. Or long stretches of boring, uninventive gameplay.

Salaadin

Kritz said:
JC2 has a very large initial "oh god this game is not very good at all" feeling, that once you get into the swing of things, slowly turns into "good lord this game is so much fun I don't even know why I want to blow up all the red things anymore but I am going to do it for the next three days straight!"

JC2 is a stupid, mundane barely functional game at points. But you know, it's surprisingly easy to forget that once you max out your LMG, mod in infinite grapple distance, and start enjoying the world for what it is.

But, yeah, it's not for everyone.

THATS your favorite moment? :lol

JC2 is basically the open world game I wanted this gen. The world is huge both vertically and horizonally and they dont do too much too restrict you other than surrounding the world with a massive body of water that you cant cross. That doesnt matter though since theres so much ground to cover. They just toss you into this massive world and tell you to go blow shit up and its insanely fun.

The storyline sucks and I swear that the games voice acting is purposely making fun of itself because its so bad but that doesnt matter either because everything else it does is designed to be mindless fun. When I feel burned out on games or just dont know what to play, I default to JC2 and blow 3 hours doing absolutely nothing.....and its glorious.

EDIT: My favorite thing to do is stealing a fast car and taking it onto the freeway just to drive it off and watch as it flips and twirls around in the air. The sound effect is so satisfying.

Mah name is Bo-Lo San-To-Si

that's my favorite part of the game. But yeah there's so much fun shit to do in Just Cause 2. You can always come back to it.

dream

JC2 stole my heart the first time I grappled onto a fucking helicopter, threw the pilot out, aimed it towards a mountain range and parachuted out watching it explode while my friends stood on the ground chanting my name.

markot

Banned
JC2 is fun, but the main story elements and what not could have used some work. Outside of that its one of the best most fun open world games.

Monday Night Combat is fucking awesome. I hope you all buy the game. Personally, I wish Valve made this title. Why? Because it would actually get support through and through. I say that because I get the feeling the developer won't support it the same way TF2 is. However, I do hope I'm proven wrong.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've actually been thinking on biting on MNC, ever since I figured out my other "15$ PC game", Section 8: Prejudice runs on GFWL matchmaking (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK).

Going to have to watch some vids to see if it's my kind of thing.

BloodySinner said:
Monday Night Combat is fucking awesome. I hope you all buy the game. Personally, I wish Valve made this title. Why? Because it would actually get support through and through. I say that because I get the feeling the developer won't support it the same way TF2 is. However, I do hope I'm proven wrong.

I wouldn't be so sure.

They've already released DLC on the 360 version, it was initially going to be paid DLC but it got delayed and to make up for it they made it free. There's more on the way too.

Volcynika

Anyone have any problems when viewing their own history on their Steam profile?

When I go to view mine, I have this.

K0j2T.jpg

Just noticed it occurring recently, around the day the Beat Hazard objective stuff was up. Might've been earlier....

Baha

Volcynika said:
Anyone have any problems when viewing their own history on their Steam profile?

When I go to view mine, I have this.

K0j2T.jpg

Just noticed it occurring recently, around the day the Beat Hazard objective stuff was up. Might've been earlier....

Yeah I'm getting the same thing when I look at my history.

Volcynika

I asked my brother if he still saw the achievements I had earned, and he said it shows up on his community tab thing fine. Kind of an odd issue!

Daigoro

yep im getting the same issues. i have been checking my history for a few hours now and its been looking like that.

-

so, im glad i bought JC2. its fun!

the first area is kind of dull and odd, but the game gets a lot better very quickly. slingshotting from place to place (once you get used to it) is really clever and fun to do.

i played until i got the stupid achievement for the Steam treasure hunt and kept on going. about an hour later i realized i wasnt even on a quest. i had just flown to the other side of the island an started doing some something else completely.

kind of reminds me of Crackdown with the platforming. grappling hook and parachute are boss.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Having personally been in a gaming lull so to speak, just cause 2 has not only given me faith in videogames again but also cemented my position as a pc-gamer. With every setting turned to max the game is just.... well it's just ridiculous.

Ledsen

aeolist said:
I got to the part where you have to
carry the little kid around
and it makes your mouse control feel like shit

Really deterred me from finishing it

It's like 5 minutes of gameplay.

didn't want to make a separate thread for this, but is there such a thing as a Steam "10 ft interface"?

Obviously, I know it's possible to hook a PC up to an HDTV, but I was wondering if there was some kind of special Steam launcher or option made for this purpose.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
soul creator said:
didn't want to make a separate thread for this, but is there such a thing as a Steam "10 ft interface"?

Obviously, I know it's possible to hook a PC up to an HDTV, but I was wondering if there was some kind of special Steam launcher or option made for this purpose.
untitled-1rh7m.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
soul creator said:

Not really but valve could easily make their launcher work this way if they would just allow keyboard control and selection, the large icons would work fine. There are alternatives but they require manually adding the game executables for your steam games.
stallion free - a 10ft interface usually implies a remote or controller compatible interface

Blizzard

Banned
soul creator said:

If you use a 360 controller with your Steam games and HDTV, you might be able to use something like XPadder to select the big buttons from the Steam interface that Stallion posted.

Forkball

MNC sounds interesting. Is it kind of a cross between TF2 and Counter-Strike (in that you can upgrade and buy stuff during the match)?

Blizzard said:
If you use a 360 controller with your Steam games and HDTV, you might be able to use something like XPadder to select the big buttons from the Steam interface that Stallion posted.

The problem I have with XPadder is that it works great for navigating the OS, but when you launch a game it interferes with the game's controls (since you are essentially giving it pad input and keyboard input at the same time).

Dr. Zoidberg said:
The problem I have with XPadder is that it works great for navigating the OS, but when you launch a game it interferes with the game's controls (since you are essentially giving it pad input and keyboard input at the same time).

Yeah, the only workaround I've found is just using 2 controllers. One that acts as a mouse and some other often used keyboard commands and then just using another controller if you want the native controller interface.

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, the only workaround I've found is just using 2 controllers. One that acts as a mouse and some other often used keyboard commands and then just using another controller if you want the native controller interface.

I just use a wireless mouse for navigation and the controller for games. But I really wish that Steam would add native support for pads in the interface. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom