• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
I'm now an admin if anyone else wants an invite.

ZndJR.jpg
http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/ex

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lyphen said:
Yeah it does because Steamworks means it requires Steam.

Not quite. Games can be Steamworks-on-Steam and non-Steamworks when bought elsewhere.

Shogun 2 is fully Steamworks though so no issue there. But, for example, The Witcher 2 is only Steamworks when bought on Steam.

Echoplx

EviLore said:
Not quite. Games can be Steamworks-on-Steam and non-Steamworks when bought elsewhere.

Shogun 2 is fully Steamworks though so no issue there. But, for example, The Witcher 2 is only Steamworks when bought on Steam.

Actually a Namco Bandai rep told me that the retail version will have Steam integration.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
3chopl0x said:
Actually a Namco Bandai rep told me that the retail version will have Steam integration.
As someone who has pre-ordered the retail version of The Witcher 2 (I wanted the fancy box etc), this is good news, although it doesn't correspond with what we were told before.

If the retail version of The Witcher 2 is Steamworks, yey!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
EviLore said:

True enough, in Torchlight/Meat Boy and other cases. Total War's been Steamworks at retail since Empire though. But yeah, for clarity, it would be nice for Steamworks retail (like at Amazon) to be a more visible thing instead of a small icon and disclaimer at the back of the box.

As always though, Steam support has the answer people need:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Good to hear retail Witcher 2 will be Steamworks though. Collector's Edition bought.

Stop It said:
As someone who has pre-ordered the retail version of The Witcher 2 (I wanted the fancy box etc), this is good news, although it doesn't correspond with what we were told before.

If the retail version of The Witcher 2 is Steamworks, yey!

I always thought that CDProject said that only the GOG version would be DRM free, while the retail version would be up to the publisher.

Exuro

3chopl0x said:
WHAT? THIS IS AMAZING NEWS IF TRUE!!! COLLECTOR'S EDITION HERE I COME!

Will need further confirmation, but seriously, I would buy the CE in an instant if it's Steamworks enabled.

EDIT: If I preorder the CE from Amazon does it charge me instantly and if it turns out that it isn't Steamworks enabled can I cancel it without any fees?

SalsaShark said:
Anyone knows how long is the Nimbus sale supposed to be up ?
I remember reading somewhere it was a week long sale until april 4th, but can't seem to find where :S

Yeah, I might have this confused with the releasedate of Hoard for some reason. So I know nothing.

Echoplx

I just contacted him and he is confirming if it's true now, but from what he understands it will have Steam integration.

Will update once i hear more

Zzoram

Mrbob said:
:eek:

I've been torn between getting the freebies in a box versus the digital deluxe version on steam. Now I can have both good times!

you might not get digital deluxe bonuses with a retail serial key

I got a feeling tomorrow there is going to be a significant sale since it is April's fools and there hasn't been a sale so far this week.

By the almighty based Gabe, let it be Bloodlines! (Sorry Minsc :p)

Lasthope106 said:
I got a feeling tomorrow there is going to be a significant sale since it is April's fools and there hasn't been a sale so far this week.

It will be Bloodlines, that's the joke. You go to buy it and it redirects you to a shovelware game with a laughing Gabe.

Many will laugh. More will cry.

Exuro

Zzoram said:
So only the direct download from CDProjekt Red will be completely DRM free?

Not that I mind, I dig Steamworks.
Well they've always said that the GoG version would be the only one that's DRM free. That was on of the selling points they advertised. Retail copy's DRM scheme wasn't chosen/known yet. Thankfully its Steamworks though, which makes sense seeing as the Steam version is already Steamworks enabled, might as well make the retail copies the same too(less work). I ordered the CE off Amazon because of it.

benjipwns

Banned
Lasthope106 said:

67% off for the low price of $19.99!

Exuro

Lasthope106 said:

I'm expecting either a HL3/E3 out now ad or some sort of TF2 joke.

Dizzy-4U

Kamaki said:
Are these Dreamcast Collections meant to be any good? Just some kind of weird packaged emulator thing? I'm tempted to pick up Space Channel 5.
It depends on what you call "good". I bought only Space Channel 5, so I can't speak for the rest of the games.

It's ok, 360 controller works fine, no desync with the audio of any kind. The game runs at 1360x768 maximum, but you can get a fix to run it at any resolution you want.

There is an issue with the voices though. It seems that some of them are missing if you play with japanese voices. I wouldn't know, I played the entire game in english and it was complete as far as I noticed.

If you want to get picky, there is no antialising of any kind. I tried to force it through nvidia panel and got nothing. It can look really jaggy in some parts.

It's a sloppy port, no graphic customization of any kind and missing japanese voices here and there. Other than that, the game itself works fine. I didn't have any problems at all.

pilonv1

LovingSteam said:
Valve hardly EVER has sales on Friday's. Either Mondays for weeklongs, Tuesdays for Midweek, or Thursdays for weekends. Don't hold your breath folks.

April Fools sale is in fact no sale at all

plc268

LovingSteam said:
Valve hardly EVER has sales on Friday's. Either Mondays for weeklongs, Tuesdays for Midweek, or Thursdays for weekends. Don't hold your breath folks.

Well, Valve has posted weekend sales on Friday in the past when they weren't as consistent with their sales.

It's a bit odd though that we haven't had a midweek sale (and possibly weekend sale), perhaps they're preparing for a big sale? Doubt it though.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried the Nimbus demo finally. It's a creative puzzle game and the graphics are pretty, but I think it would probably be too frustrating for me. There are also weird things like the mouse being hidden with no warning, but I figured out my way through the menus and such. :p

Nabs

just got a defense grid, super meat boy, audiosurf, cogs and rush update

could we be getting an indie weekend? this is weird.

Joe Molotov

April Fools Day joke should be PC version of Portal 2 is cancelled, now PS3 exclusive, all preorders have been converted to Dino D-Day with no refunds.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Joe Molotov said:
April Fools Day joke should be PC version of Portal 2 is cancelled, now PS3 exclusive, no refunds on pre-orders but you get a free copy of Dino D-Day.

The joke should be Episode Three.

And it's actually Episode Three! Until you get past the first level, at which point it suddenly becomes the original Quake engine-powered alpha build of Half-Life.

desu

Steam patch news are fun now ...

Updates to The Wonderful End of the World have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:
Added new bugs to the game

desu

Games with fake update:
Super Meat Boy
The Wonderful End of the World
AaAaAA!!!
Rush
Toki Tori
Killing Floor
Audio Surf
Bit.Trip Beat
The Ball
Defense Grid!?

desu said:
Games with fake update:
Super Meat Boy
The Wonderful End of the World
AaAaAA!!!
Rush
Toki Tori
Killing Floor
Audio Surf
Bit.Trip Beat
The Ball
I have all but The Ball :( Put Red Orchestra 2 up for pre purchase and my April Fools will be glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom