• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I had a lot of fun with the Darkspore beta a few weekends ago. The people I played with also enjoyed it.

Maxrunner

MRORANGE said:
correct answer:

buying the pc version on steam ensures all profits go to valve and not sony/ea :)

ok but now seriously if i buy the ps3 version can i add the pc version to steam???if yes why should i buy the pc version?

Maxrunner said:
ok but now seriously if i buy the ps3 version can i add the pc version to steam???if yes why should i buy the pc version?

I bought it on Pc because I saved £13... we don't have this £20 amazon credit deal here in the uk as far as I know.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
G-Fex said:
I seriously am going to quit WoW

I don't know if this is the thread to ask but since they're both on steam, I'm in for a new MMO, Rift or DC Universe?
I played the Rift Beta and enjoyed it. It's definitely one of the most polished MMO I've played. Amazon has it for 40$ too.

You also have multiple free ones you can try out. LOTRO is definitely quality(I played it at launch for several months). I've also spent a few hours in Invictious. MMO portion is lacking, but gameplay is top notch.

LocoMrPollock said:
Whats the battle system like?

I know I could search, but I'm lazy.
It wasn't terrible different from WoW when I played in the Beta.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LocoMrPollock said:
No, but it will get console users who have no idea what Steam is, to install it on their computers and then add their console friends to their steam friends and then start looking at other games on the service and start seeing the crazy sells and so on and so forth.

Also probably just trying to get more sales of the PS3 version, even though they make less profit per sale, there's still a large market for them there and Valve wants a piece of the pie.
I wonder if Valve will do a series of super sales during Portal 2's Launch week to try and build up a user base.

Edit: And make sure to let me know if the code works ok, I could of mistyped it.

Joe Molotov

Best Steam Group ever.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamescollectors

This group is for the peoples that collect games, just because... they`re entertaining. ^^
You`ll need quite a collection to join. Let`s say at least around 100... We don`t allow anyone with a small amount of games.

What to we do? Well, brag about our grand collection, like a bunch of elitist geeks ofcourse. Or discuss which series is better;like Battlefield or Call of Duty series.
And obviously collect many many games, (hopefully) playing them all.
And check if someone knows some pretty gems to add to our own collection of course.

VAC == a big no no. It`s a disrespect to the valuables we collect.
Anyone with a VAC ban will be directly removed from the group.

Why did it take so long for someone to make this group? Other than the fact that they let people in with only 100+ games (should be at least 500, imo), they seem like some cool dudes that get what Steam is all about. It's about WINNING.

oO2lU.jpg

Sorry if you guys didn't get an invite, it's probably because I roll like a boss and you don't.

graywolf323

Joe Molotov said:
Best Steam Group ever.

Why did it take so long for someone to make this group? Other than the fact that they let people in with only 100+ games (should be at least 500, imo), they seem like some cool dudes that get what Steam is all about. It's about WINNING.

oO2lU.jpg

Sorry if you guys didn't get an invite, it's probably because I roll like a boss and you don't.

I thought about making one but they wouldn't let me make a group called Steam Addicts Anonymous so I said screw it

I own ~500 games yet no invite :-(

LocoMrPollock said:
No, but it will get console users who have no idea what Steam is, to install it on their computers and then add their console friends to their steam friends and then start looking at other games on the service and start seeing the crazy sells and so on and so forth.

If so then Valve are duping Sony into allowing them to steal away future potential sales and possibly users? Sony gets no cut from future Steam sales which will invariably include some multiplatform games that those users may decide to purchase on Steam instead of PS3.

Javaman

Lol, holy shit I'm #58. Please tell me that the list only includes people invited to the group. I don't know if I got invited though. Group sounds kind of elitiest.

IrishNinja

Joe Molotov said:

brb gotta go delete you from my friends list bro

i didnt want those grapes anyway, theyre prolly hella sour

PS for real, anyone know what partial downloaded trial/game data does? im trying to conserve HDD space, guess im gonna poke around and see if theres a lead & gold folder now.

Echoplx

IrishNinja said:
brb gotta go delete you from my friends list bro

i didnt want those grapes anyway, theyre prolly hella sour

PS for real, anyone know what partial downloaded trial/game data does? im trying to conserve HDD space, guess im gonna poke around and see if theres a lead & gold folder now.

The game data will stay in your steamapps folder until you delete in manually.

benjipwns

Banned
It's an automatic script of some sort. Says I have 192 games, Steam Community says 215 so it must only update every so often.

Javaman

Maybe it's polling the people in the Neogaf group. I just can't imaging being as high as I am unless it's a small sample group

graywolf323

depending on the source I have around 500 games yet I'm not even in the top 500 on that site :-/ and person 500 has less than 150 games...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No one is suspicious at an effort designed to draw large numbers of high value accounts into a group? Not that it's necessarily a trap, but my common sense started tingling.

graywolf323

benjipwns said:
Are you the Gray Wolf right above EviLore at #30?

I wasn't there earlier... odd

says it updated 4 minutes ago o_O are they watching us? also it actually has the number my Steam Library has and not the one from my Steam profile

creepy

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Joe Molotov said:
Best Steam Group ever.

oO2lU.jpg

Sorry to tell you this, but I have been a member of that group for over 2 weeks.

I was invited via the Steam forums after finding a thread there on the subject

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
SapientWolf said:
No one is suspicious at an effort designed to draw large numbers of high value accounts into a group? Not that it's necessarily a trap, but my common sense started tingling.

Haha good point. Glad i'm not on there :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
zombieshavebrains said:
Haha good point. Glad i'm not on there :p

The only way they could possibly get access to your account is if you're stupid. If you happen to hand out your account information, and your account password is the same as that which protects your nominated e-mail address in Steam, then, well, you shouldn't be using a computer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Diablohead said:
with steam today it's not too hard to hit 100 games if you wait for bundle sales.

I'll be upgrading in a few months, and from then on I'll be putting away a few bucks every week in order to amass a sizeable amount to spend during the Christmas sale.

And another GTX 580 should I desire one.

The last time I involved myself with a Steam sale was the Christmas sale of 2009. I spent around AU$250.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SapientWolf said:
Not really, what are they going to do? Ask for mebership fees and hire people to start Lobbying the lobby of Valve's HQ? Hack you, despite it being just as easy to do it if you weren't in the group?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Opiate said:
Opportunity cost. I can say with confidence that anything that I sell for .25, regardless of the product, is a net loss in resources for me. I would have saved resources by simply keeping it or throwing it away.

That doesn't mean the PS3 version isn't worth getting: I'm just pointing out that a severely gimped secondary copy could legitimately not be worth selling if the price was low enough. Almost anything worth less than 1.00 is not worth finding a buyer for unless your alternative opportunities are virtually worthless.

My point of hypothesizing about a 0.25 flip was to point out that even if the PS3 copy is worthless, it's still cheaper to buy the PS3 copy on Amazon than it is to buy a 2-pack on Steam. In reality, there's no way Portal 2 PS3 used will net less than $15-20 trade-in credit day one, and probably higher if sold to someone else rather than traded.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Drkirby said:
Not really, what are they going to do? Ask for mebership fees and hire people to start Lobbying the lobby of Valve's HQ? Hack you, despite it being just as easy to do it if you weren't in the group?

Granted if Gabe's new hacker proof system is as hard to get around as he says it is its hard to get hacked if you use it. But this just concentrates the people with the most valuable accounts in one list for people to try to spam them with links to click to install keyloggers. You have to be rather thick to click them but look at how many people have been hacked in this thread :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom