• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

The list is such a great idea dragged down by some idiots.

I don't know how exactly one could do it, but how about a password protection for the document and display the pw only when you quote the post?

TheExodu5

Banned
xyla said:
The list is such a great idea dragged down by some idiots.

I don't know how exactly one could do it, but how about a password protection for the document and display the pw only when you quote the post?

You can just show the page source to see those codes. I don't know why anyone thinks the hidden codes are hidden at all.

edit: nvm, it actually is hidden now.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm not sure if this is a proper place to ask, but I see the Bioshock games are on sale on Steam.

I played and enjoyed the first one, but never touched the second one. I know it's only 5 bucks, but that's 5 bucks I can put elsewhere. Is Bioshock 2 any good in comparison to the first?

dLMN8R

Stahsky said:
I'm not sure if this is a proper place to ask, but I see the Bioshock games are on sale on Steam.

I played and enjoyed the first one, but never touched the second one. I know it's only 5 bucks, but that's 5 bucks I can put elsewhere. Is Bioshock 2 any good in comparison to the first?
Bioshock 2 is a great game, and the direct opposite of Bioshock. Bioshock had a promising beginning, and totally fell apart at the end. Bioshock 2 starts seeming like a me-too copy, but significantly expands the combat into something much more interesting and strategic than the first, and it has a terrific end sequence with very satisfying multiple endings.

kswiston

Update on NeoGAF Steam ID spreadsheet

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjxSVOSxVPhwdFpMRG5Ucm5NTDJRMHlMMXVPT29MOWc&hl=en&authkey=CKeior0B#gid=0

I have the Steam ID Google doc back up and running after it's meltdown a couple hours back. Talking to a couple other people, I think the best way to proceed is to make viewing the list public, but editing it private.

So, if people are still interested in creating/maintaining a user-edited Steam ID spreadsheet for GAF members, here's how you can take part:

1) Have a google/gmail account

2) PM one of the following requested to be added as an editor:
- kswiston
- Schmattakopf

(more names to be added)

3) When you are added you should get an email notification. After that, you're all set.

Hopefully this attempt is a little more successful. Eventually anyone who is an editor should be able to add new people.

I know a second list was started in my absence earlier (it even had a neat form) but I think allowing people to edit their own info works better. Taking away anonymity should also prevent a repeat of what happened earlier since I can boot the guilty party.

Blizzard

Banned
Good old Steam. I could have sworn this had happened before when I tried to use the "Do not automatically update this game" option or whatever.

And sure enough, I set Defense Grid to not update, and today it's downloading an update automatically. I actually wanted to experiment with something before they updated the ARG stuff, ugh. I forgot to back up the game files. Even if I had, I wouldn't have been able to play it unless I forced Steam into offline mode though, and even then I'm not sure if it would have worked.

I realize that most people want to keep games up to date, but I really wish the option would at least work instead of automatically resetting itself to ignore your selection.

*edit* After today's update, I think I even double-checked it to be not automatically updated, then launched Defense Grid, and then checked it again later...it's set to automatically update. I didn't even restart Steam. Come on people. :mad:

So does BioShock 2 no longer have DRM? I remember seeing it mentioned under the product information on Steam some months ago but now it's gone.

InertiaXr

Blizzard said:
I realize that most people want to keep games up to date, but I really wish the option would at least work instead of automatically resetting itself to ignore your selection.

Yes, disabling auto-update has never worked correctly. I forget what game it was but I use to have some mods on a Steam game, and I could set it to not auto-update but not even 5 minutes later check it again and Steam had changed it back. I'm not sure why that option is even there if Steam is going to ignore it.

I have come to realize that $5 (or really sub $8) is my impulse buy point for DD games. Going to buy Bioshock 2 because of the sale even though I have no intention of playing through it soon (will go on the backlog.)

This is not including iOS games where I might think more about a $3 game than I have about getting Bioshock 2.

That and I'm probably going to go ahead and pre-order Portal 2 finally now as well.

I'm a sucker for sales :(

Opiate

So can we assume that the newly announced SSFIV will be coming to Steam?

As another point, an interesting addition to Steam would be built in tournament creations. That is, Capcom could quickly create a very simple, easy to enter tournament that cost, oh, 50 cents, and the winner of the tournament wins 100 dollars (or less or more depending on how many enter and the general economics of the thing). You could, in theory, have a tournament every week or every month, which would both be a money earner and free advertising for the game. It could also help solidify the entire genre on PCs, where I think it could really blossom, as PC Gamers tend to be more competitive in general.

grkazan12

Opiate said:

As another point, an interesting addition to Steam would be built in tournament creations. That is, Capcom could quickly create a very simple, easy to enter tournament that cost, oh, 50 cents, and the winner of the tournament wins 100 dollars (or less or more depending on how many enter and the general economics of the thing). You could, in theory, have a tournament every week or every month, which would both be a money earner and free advertising for the game. It could also help solidify the entire genre on PCs, where I think it could really blossom, as PC Gamers tend to be more competitive in general.
This man needs to be hired, that's a brilliant idea if executed properly.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Opiate said:

SSFIV coming to Steam is most likely a given, but I'm worried that will use GFWL (not that I have any concrete evidence, I'm just pessimistic)

Also your tournament idea is great and could be expanded to other games (CS, CoD, DotA, etc). Someone made a post awhile ago suggesting that Steam be used as a platform to easily organize leagues and tournaments and I feel that would help with competitive gaming as a whole.

Blizzard

Banned
Steam could be used for competitive gaming, but then it could basically become a gambling service, and your steam wallet TF2hat money$$$ could get wagered for TF2 duals, and counterstrike matches, and you could bet on your favorite spectator, and engage in dirty cheating by cutting the hamstrings of the horse/player you want to lose, etc. etc.

I feel like it could be a massive mess and potentially end up in lawsuits or something. I kinda hope it doesn't happen. Now if there was a way to organize non-paid tournaments than sure!

Opiate

Archie said:
SSFIV coming to Steam is most likely a given, but I'm worried that will use GFWL (not that I have any concrete evidence, I'm just pessimistic)

Also your tournament idea is great and could be expanded to other games (CS, CoD, DotA, etc). Someone made a post awhile ago suggesting that Steam be used as a platform to easily organize leagues and tournaments and I feel that would help with competitive gaming as a whole.

It could even be used for score attack games! Consider, as an example, SHMUPs. Because it's all online, you could have people "compete" by having, say, a 2 hour window to rack up the highest score they possibly can in Ikaruga (which is not on Steam, I know, it's simply an example) or Deathsmiles, or something.

Pay 50 cents to enter, whoever racks up the highest score in a single game during that window wins 70 dollars (or whatever).

TheExodu5

Banned
Hope the mods don't mind me posting this here...move it to the FREE thread if you prefer having it there.

Anyways, I'm giving away a bunch of games from the Potato Sack + Portal. All I ask is this: tell me the name of the game you want, and post a picture of your pc + pc gaming setup.

Here are the games to be given away:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaa - gone to Freakinchair
Amnesia - gone to Pandoracell
Audiosurf - gone to Luigi87
Cogs - gone to Jangaroo
Defense Grid - gone to rataplein
Killing Floor - gone to Houston3000
Portal - gone to a friend
Rush - gone to camerooni
Super Meat Boy - gone to darthbob
Toki Tori - gone to 3chopl0x

kswiston

Opiate said:
It could even be used for score attack games! Consider, as an example, SHMUPs. Because it's all online, you could have people "compete" by having, say, a 2 hour window to rack up the highest score they possibly can in Ikaruga (which is not on Steam, I know, it's simply an example) or Deathsmiles, or something.

Pay 50 cents to enter, whoever racks up the highest score in a single game during that window wins 70 dollars (or whatever).

Judging by the global leader boards for more than one game on my games list, Valve would have to crack down on cheaters first.

Sanic

TheExodu5 said:
Hope the mods don't mind me posting this here...move it to the FREE thread if you prefer having it there.

Anyways, I'm giving away a bunch of games from the Potato Sack + Portal. All I ask is this: tell me the name of the game you want, and post a picture of your pc + pc gaming setup.

*snip*

Amnesia please!

(I knew taking a pic of my PC with my phone would come in handy someday :p)

TheExodu5 said:

My setup is like five dusty desktops and it looks like a server room and I have too many games to accept one of those, but +rep!

darthbob

TheExodu5 said:

Super Meat Boy!

http://i.imgur.com/SnjzQ.jpg

Also, that's a hard drive and SSD on top of my soon to be replaced case.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:

Good stuff.

hom3land

TheExodu5 said:

http://imgur.com/SAXxU

AAAAAAH please

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
TheExodu5 said:

http://tinypic.com/r/1ysbok/7

Cogs please :)

Tried to buy Bioshock 2 two hours ago, it didn't work, I had some error message during the purchase.
But now I just received a Paypal email saying that my payment has been sent to Steam blabla. I checked on my bank account, it's true. Actually they took 10€. And I still don't have Bioshock 2. Wtf is that ? :(

TheExodu5 said:

I just went to grab my camera and it's dead :(

I have no smartphone to grab a shot with either. Was going to ask for Super Meat Boy or Amnesia, but I'll pass on the remaining titles.

Hawk269

Does anyone know if Bioshock 1 or 2 support the 360 pad natively? The deal is really good right now at 4.99 each, but i prefer to play with a control pad.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom