• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gexecuter said:
Wait a minute Landstalker? Isn't that the game that has a cult following or something like that? Heard a lot of good things about it maybe i'll pick it up sometime along with shining force.

Yeah, it's a Zelda clone. Pretty good one, though.

Gexecuter said:
Wait a minute Landstalker? Isn't that the game that has a cult following or something like that? Heard a lot of good things about it maybe i'll pick it up sometime along with shining force.
Some of the developers on Landstalker actually worked on Alundra and another title similar on the saturn, in fact the Landstalker main character was used in another game but the gameplay was a lot different.

Best way to sum up Landstalker is Alundra and Zelda had a love child, but the child was born first lol.

Archie said:
Weekend deal: Both Penny Arcade RPGs for $3
Been waiting a long time for a deal that good on the PA games, the 360 prices have always been high for me. Steam sale offer is £2.25 in UK sterling.

Archie said:
Also: The Sims 3 is FINALLY on Steam. Bravo for only taking two years, EA.
£30 for the regular pack, £60 for the complete sims 3 bundle lols, thing is people will pay that :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It will be interesting to see how quickly The Sims 3 goes on sale. I was burned on the whole Spore 30 fps bullshit this Christmas sale, but I'm still kind of curious about the series.

I am tempted to pickup the whole sims 3 bundle for my girlfriend. For how much she has played the vanilla sims3 I could get like 300 more hours of free game time back.

graywolf323

go bloody figure

of course The Sims 3 finally comes to Steam a month after I cave and get all of the games for 50% off on Impulse >_<

edit: I'll probably cave and buy it just to have it on Steam come either the Summer sale or the Christmas sale (it's kinda a bitch to install through Impulse)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
graywolf323 said:
go bloody figure

of course The Sims 3 finally comes to Steam a month after I cave and get all of the games for 50% off on Impulse >_<

edit: I'll probably cave and buy it just to have it on Steam come either the Summer sale or the Christmas sale (it's kinda a bitch to install through Impulse)
It probably registers on EA download manager as well, which might work slightly better than Impulse.

graywolf323

poppabk said:
It probably registers on EA download manager as well, which might work slightly better than Impulse.

maybe but with Impulse you have to go through the install process as if you bought dvds at retail

the only advantage Impulse had was not being the EA store :p

Diablohead said:
I have a spare winterbottom gift from the winter sales, anyone want it?

Me?

Anyone know how to start in offline mode when it's giving you the login screen? It only does it to me when I restart my PC completely, but I sometimes don't have an internet connection and no matter how many times it tries to connect, it won't give me the option to go offline. Really annoying.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
archnemesis said:
I'm a fan of Penny Arcade and Japanese RPGs, and I didn't enjoy the first game that much.
Me neither, and I don't like JRPGs usually. So, you now need a JRPG hater who doesn't like PA to verify.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gexecuter said:
I personally did not like Landstalker, I bought it on the Wii Virtual Console a few years back.

ArjanN

Decado said:
They worth playing?

I thought they were pretty fun.
This is coming from someone who doesn't really like jRPGs and like Penny Arcade.

They're like "light" jRPGs with the comedy of the Penny Arcade guys. For this price they're worth it.

The story isn't finished, because they're probably never making the next game in the series, but the story is really only a vehicle for the comedy anyway.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
ArjanN said:
I thought they were pretty fun.
This is coming from someone who doesn't really like jRPGs and like Penny Arcade.

They're like "light" jRPGs with the comedy of the Penny Arcade guys. For this price they're worth it.

The story isn't finished, because they're probably never making the next game in the series, but the story is really only a vehicle for the comedy anyway.
They've been working on a story up on their website that's supposed to be a continuation or something of Episode 2.

Gexecuter said:
Landstalker is a super awesome game, go play it if you never had the chance to do so.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
While we're talking about it: How well are the Mega Drive ports on Steam in general? Is it basically the same as downloading a ROM file and playing it via an emulator? And no, I don't want to start a discussion about legality of downloading ROMs, I'm just curious.

1-D_FTW

Finally got around to playing Everyday Genius. I'll agree it's a pretty addicting game...

BUT

The stat tracking sucks. And while I'm not normally into stats, this is one game I would have appreciated it.

The irony. A game about numbers... can't do simple mathematics.

I've solved 69 puzzles so far. It's credited me with a grand total of 18 mistakes (for the sake of argument, I'll assume I made that many.) That means, worst case scenario, I spread those 18 mistakes out over 18 puzzles. Which means, worst case, I've solved 69 -18 = 51 puzzles with zero errors. Worst case. It's credited me with 16 puzzles with no errors. For a pathetic 23.2 percent.

Just something comical about a numbers game that sucks so bad at statistics. And I know it's not just inverting the success/failure rates, because I got sloppy and click happy and had at least 5 puzzles with numerous errors. So I know I've screwed up on less than 16 puzzles.

/rant

Bufbaf said:
While we're talking about it: How well are the Mega Drive ports on Steam in general? Is it basically the same as downloading a ROM file and playing it via an emulator? And no, I don't want to start a discussion about legality of downloading ROMs, I'm just curious.

Yeah, I don't do roms at all, so I'm interested in the ports as well. In general I don't do much retro gaming, but I just got a new netbook and hitting up Landstalker, Shining Force, Streets of Rage 2, and Gunstar Heroes (+ more) on the go for 7.50 is pretty appealing.

Also, for anyone be picking up any EUIII stuff be really careful about how you upgrade. I was 25 hours into a Holland IN game from when I picked up EUIII Complete over the Christmas sale. I just nabbed HTTT in this most recent sale assuming that I would finish up my current game and then install HTTT and play that for my next play through. However if you purchase a new version the old EUIII will be autoupdated by Steam as they are all considered "upgrades" on the main EUIII install instead of separate expansions. There is no way to downgrade back to IN from HTTT on Steam and all the saves don't work with HTTT so I lost all my hours of play. Just be careful when you purchase, turning off autoupgrade might work.

Fredescu

1-D_FTW said:
The stat tracking sucks. And while I'm not normally into stats, this is one game I would have appreciated it.

The irony. A game about numbers... can't do simple mathematics.

I've solved 69 puzzles so far. It's credited me with a grand total of 18 mistakes (for the sake of argument, I'll assume I made that many.) That means, worst case scenario, I spread those 18 mistakes out over 18 puzzles. Which means, worst case, I've solved 69 -18 = 51 puzzles with zero errors. Worst case. It's credited me with 16 puzzles with no errors. For a pathetic 23.2 percent.
I always thought my percentage of games without errors seemed low but never really stopped to figure it out. I've solved 222 puzzles and made 95 errors, but it tells me only 29.7% of puzzles have been solved without mistakes. Worst case with one error per game should be about 60%. Pretty crazy.

Kritz

Banned
Hahaha

Sims 3 everything costs $90usd on the American store.
Sims 3 standalone costs $80usd on the Australian store.

Fuck off.

Davidion

Bought the Penny Arcade games...could use a simple RPG.

Here's a question: were the Defense Grid DLCs given away at some point? I don't recall ever buying it and I went to do it today and apparently I own them all...along with a Defense Grid Borderlands DLC that isn't even in the store??

Just trying to make sure I haven't gone completely nuts.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Shaneus said:
Wait, so that entire Sega pack is $7.50? Fucking WOW. Hopefully they have some of the nifty graphics filters like the CRT one for FBA on PS3.
Linear, TV, and Enhanced.

TV is so hilariously bad. Nostalgia overdose.

graywolf323

TheExodu5 said:
I'm tempted to get the Sims...just because of 50% off.

it is a really good deal and if I didn't already have them on Impulse I'd jump on them now

but since I do I'm holding out for one of the two big sales of the year

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Haven't played a Sims game since the first, and any purchase depends on this: is the piano radio channel still awesome and relaxing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom