• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

desu

-COOLIO- said:
i hope they have dead space 2 for $15 and mass effect 1 and 2 for ~$10 each

10? It was 10 at last sale already. ME1 has been 5 before and both should be 75% (=5) this time (at least thats what I am hoping for)

Twig

Banned
poppabk said:
I like rubberband AI in arcade racers where it keeps things interesting. As long as it is purely AI based, that is.
can't stop

hurlin'

One of the worst things a video game AI can do to me is cheat.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
desu said:
10? It was 10 at last sale already. ME1 has been 5 before and both should be 75% (=5) this time (at least thats what I am hoping for)
nice, ill bite for 5.

i hate that those games dont have 360 controller support but whatEVS

Chanser

Joe Molotov said:
I hope it's zombie mask and a giant sunflower sticking out of the top our your head.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw them. Meh.

I so wanted a sunflower hat for all classes in TF2.

Atomski

Aw I bought NFS:HP for 15 on amazon a couple days ago. Which have much rather have had it on my steam list :/.

Bring on the Deadspace discount.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
can't stop

hurlin'

This is pretty much the most frustrating thing about some Mario Kart games to me (Mario Kart Wii? SNES?). It was almost exactly like at the start of the race, the game would decide, hmm, for this race the cheating player will be

*random number*

LUIGI

*Luigi outruns everyone else in the race for the rest of the map*

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Twig said:
can't stop

hurlin'

Rubberband AI should mean the competency of the drivers is variable based on how well you are doing, but they should still obey all the same rules and limitations.
Daytona gets a pass on cheating because it is so awesome.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Bought Hot Pursuit and the gameplay is top notch. However, the people at Criterion just make all the wrong design decisions outside of that. Just as with Burnout: Paradise, there is a mountain of unskipable bullshit. They even have the brazen brass balls to play a full Need For Speed: Shift 2 advertisement before you can begin playing. Then they feel the need to explain every detail of their main menu system. Then they explain the basic concept of videogames to you.

"Oh shit, you mean by performing well I can advance in the game? When did they start doing this?!"

It is pretty unbearable for me. It isn't much worse than the bullshit they put you though for Burnout: Paradise, though. But they really need to fix this crap for their next game.

It's a fun game, and I don't want to dissuade people from trying it, but I needed to vent.

Blizzard

Banned
morningbus said:
Bought Hot Pursuit and the gameplay is top notch. However, the people at Criterion just make all the wrong design decisions outside of that. Just as with Burnout: Paradise, there is a mountain of unskipable bullshit. They even have the brazen brass balls to play a full Need For Speed: Shift 2 advertisement before you can begin playing. Then they feel the need to explain every detail of their main menu system. Then they explain the basic concept of videogames to you.

"Oh shit, you mean by performing well I can advance in the game? When did they start doing this?!"

It is pretty unbearable for me. It isn't much worse than the bullshit they put you though for Burnout: Paradise, though. But they really need to fix this crap for their next game.

It's a fun game, and I don't want to dissuade people from trying it, but I needed to vent.
Blur did this as well for the first time you play several maps/modes, and I haven't found a way to skip it (on the first time) yet. On the plus side, I have learned a few things that weren't obvious, like what using a boost backwards does.

Wait, so EA does in-game advertising for their upcoming games in Hot Pursuit?

"This race brought to you by Dragon Age 2 DLC: Revenge of Shit Mountain, buy now for 500 space points"

?

scitek

jaundicejuice said:
Wait, so EA does in-game advertising for their upcoming games in Hot Pursuit?

"This race brought to you by Dragon Age 2 DLC: Revenge of Shit Mountain, buy now for 500 space points"

?

No, just a really annoying 2 minute long Shift 2 trailer that should have been patched out once Shift 2 was released.

Detox

No, there is just a trailer for the next NFS game and it only plays the first time through. This also includes all the tutorial/ autolog videos.

EDIT: beaten

Twig

Banned
poppabk said:
Rubberband AI should mean the competency of the drivers is variable based on how well you are doing, but they should still obey all the same rules and limitations.
Daytona gets a pass on cheating because it is so awesome.
You're talking about something different from rubber band AI. It's called "rubber band" AI because it is like the other racers are attached to the player by a rubber band, and when that band gets stretched too far, it uh... contracts? Is that the right word? Brain fart. I'm pretty sure there's a word what means the opposite of "stretch". ):

A dynamic AI, where difficulty is determined by the player's skill, is a much broader concept, and is pretty cool when done right. Rubber band AI is not "right" by any stretch of the imagination.

Does anybody know if the Logitech Driving Force GT PS3 wheel works with Shift and/or HP on the PC? If so, I'm totally getting both when I get home.

stuminus3

morningbus said:

Completely agreed. Hot Pursuit would be up there with my favourite arcade racers if it wasn't for their insistence on doing everything in their power to keep you away from actually racing. Criterion have always been like this, I have no idea why.

Americas is good enough for me though. I was tempted to buy it retail but steam is superior. So 22$ would be great. I'll need to go in 1-2 hours anyway and before I get to a computer again the next deal is there :(

heyf00L

scorpscarx said:
Wow SHIFT is awesome, $ well spent.
How does it compare to Shift 2, tho? If Shift 2 is just hands-down better then I'll wait for a Steam sale on that.
Have Shift 2's problems been fixed/solved? People were complaining about laggy controls, poorer visuals than Shift 1, and worse performance.

Yeah I'm using a wired 360 pad, I am not a racing fan at all(so I don't want SHIFT 2) but this game has a great presentation, great graphics, great racing physics, and most importantly it is really fun.

The hybrid arcade/sim really clicks for me.

nexen

So tempted to double-dip on Shift. Loved the Xbox 360 one until I reached the last tier. I just know I'll play it for like an hour tops though. :\

edit: oh screw it, double-dipping.

plc268

heyf00L said:
How does it compare to Shift 2, tho? If Shift 2 is just hands-down better then I'll wait for a Steam sale on that.
Have Shift 2's problems been fixed/solved? People were complaining about laggy controls, poorer visuals than Shift 1, and worse performance.

Shift 1 is more moddable than Shift 2. People have tweaked the physics to make it much more realistic. Also some assets from Shift 2 and other games have even been ported over.

It's worth a look:
http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-overhaul-mod-2-0-released/

denomes said:
Does Hot Pursuit work with the Steam friends list? I am seeing people post their EA username which is...concerning.

Why would it? EA games have never integrated with steam, as far as I know.

Oreoleo

Does anyone notice some over-steering in Hot Pursuit? I can't tell if it's the car physics or if they fucked up the dead zones and my loose analog stick is causing input when I don't want there to be any.

Salsa

cra9J.jpg

lol didnt realize they added this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom