• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Know what game has the best lighting I've seen? No, it's not Crysis 2. It's Mafia 2. It's the most realistic and tasteful lighting I've seen in any game. Near the end of the game there are some spotlights in a building and it's incredibly just how realistic the bloom is when looking directly at it.

Crysis 2 may have technically advanced lighting, but it's not applied in a realistic fashion at all. It feels very cheap, and a bit of a "next-gen" parody at times.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
I'm pretty sure the Gaf server has stock rules.

Yeah. I need to re-add that to my favorites (even though I don't like that they have all the stock maps). It just seemed like it was never full when I wanted to play. Or it was populated, stuck on CP_Well. I still weep occasionally at Circle-X's death.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Valid points by many on the Crysis comparison.

And glad I got DS now as the price has changed. Was probably gonna sit and wait anyways. Definitely one of the games I've been waiting to get cheap.

Oni Jazar

What a kick in the balls for not including Crysis 2. I've been waiting for a Steam sale forever and I figured it had to be coming this week (since they discounted Dragon Age 2).

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MacGurcules said:
That's disappointing to hear. Dwarf Fortress would be so good if it had a proper interface. Hell, if somebody just made a military version of Dwarf Therapist, we'd be halfway there.

I completely understand and "get" that making a "DF - but accessible!" game is completely impossible. Large swaths of the game design would have to be removed wholesale for it to work.

The big problem I have with the "feel" of Dwarfs?! is that there is no building - only digging. It's only reductive - players can only mine out dirt and minerals and take things away from the map. They can't add things to it, in a meaningful way.

I really think I would like it much more if there was at least some light construction. Let me build watchtowers, dwarf housing... SOMETHING.

As I said initially, the engine itself is good. It's fun to see Dwarfs going about their business, mining, getting drowned, etc. But from there the experience branches in a direction that I don't find entirely satisfying.

I want a story mode where I mine out a persistent, permanent settlement.
I want to be able to construct things with my resources.
I want (a little) more control over my warrior Dwarfs (place a beacon and have them wander towards it?)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, as pointed out, the price of Dead Space has been corrected. Glad I snagged it.

Crysis and Crysis Warhead it is.

Edit: I have $114 to my name until Monday. Fuck sakes, Gaben.

garath

Already owned Crysis on disc but I hate discs and I never finished the game. Bought the max bundle for the $10. Should hold me over until Crysis 2 comes down in price. I really wanted that game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TheExodu5 said:
Know what game has the best lighting I've seen? No, it's not Crysis 2. It's Mafia 2. It's the most realistic and tasteful lighting I've seen in any game. Near the end of the game there are some spotlights in a building and it's incredibly just how realistic the bloom is when looking directly at it.

Crysis 2 may have technically advanced lighting, but it's not applied in a realistic fashion at all. It feels very cheap, and a bit of a "next-gen" parody at times.
Mafia 2's graphics are so goddamn classy. I love it.

Man, I don't know if I should get the Crysis Maximum Edition or not. On one hand, it's such a great price, and hard to resist. But on the other, my 7950GTX is the bottleneck in my PC and would mean I can only run it on low. Maybe I should buy it for later when I upgrade my video card... Not sure.

mojiimbo

Apparently both Crysis and Crysis Warhead have Securom 5 machine activation limits but only the latter has a working revoke tool. I wish EA would at least compromise and make it a policy to remove Securom across the board on their Steam titles once they drop down to ~$20 MSRP.

Crysis 2 was just released and has sold somewhere around two million copies.

Edit: SecuROm, or any invasive, draconian DRM should be patched out of games after a fixed period of time post-release. Six months or a year.

Minsc

Gold Member
Detox said:
So I just bought the Crysis Maximum Edition and was wondering, are any must-have mods for either game?

Graphic mods? There's this thread. For quick results, just use one of the pre-made configs towards the end of the OP.

Detox

Minsc said:
Graphic mods? There's this thread. For quick results, just use one of the pre-made configs towards the end of the OP.
Thanks for that. Links are all dead because I think crymod are still in the process of fixing their database or something.

kamspy

Detox said:
So I just bought the Crysis Maximum Edition and was wondering, are any must-have mods for either game?

What do you have under the hood? The only mod I think is completely necessary is the POM and AF at the same time.

Oh, and the mod to make the Korean ARs look like AK47s is good. Better then the weird purple AK47s that the game has by default.

Lime

Pookaki said:
So lets say I go over my 5 install limit on Crysis 1.

Am I boned and have to re-buy? or can I call someone and get a license extension?

You'll have to contact EA and according to some of the regular posters here, it's a pain in the ass. I've practically given up installing Crysis 1 now because I've used up all of my activations.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For some reason I was able to play Crysis 1 recently even though I ran out of activations previously. I didn't have to do anything, it just didn't ask for a CD-key or to activate this last time.

Detox

kamspy said:
What do you have under the hood? The only mod I think is completely necessary is the POM and AF at the same time.

Oh, and the mod to make the Korean ARs look like AK47s is good. Better then the weird purple AK47s that the game has by default.
I got a 6850, i5 sandybridge 2500 and 4GB ram. I think I can run it on very high at around 30 fps. The mod you're talking about is this "Global Ambient Lighting/POM AF by Xzero" the problem is a google search just returns forum posts linking to crymod whose downloads are down. Does any gaffer have the mod and can upload it?

Nothing for me today as I already have both games. Is this sale over on Sunday or Monday? On the banners it says "MAY 2-9" so we should have three days left, but I don't see a bit of "MONDAY ???" under the upcoming Sunday.

If we do have three more days then that would probably be for Dead Space (obviously, I guess, since some saw the prices already today), the Battlefield series, and what else?

Ickman3400 said:
How do these activations work? Is it only for new computers or just installing it again after an uninstall on the same computer?

An activation gets used up if there are any hardware changes. I'm not sure what constitutes a change, though. There's a revoke tool for Warhead.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
LastWindow said:
Nothing for me today as I already have both games. Is this sale over on Sunday or Monday? On the banners it says "MAY 2-9" so we should have three days left, but I don't see a bit of "MONDAY ???" under the upcoming Sunday.

If we do have three more days then that would probably be for Dead Space (obviously, I guess, since some saw the prices already today), the Battlefield series, and what else?
Command & Conquer?

scitek

Gvaz said:
You're better off, Warhead is the better game.
vazel said:
Crysis 2 is a bitter disappointment coming from Crysis 1. If you really must play C2 wait until it's on a $10 sale.
Haha, whatever.

C2 not being on sale is a joke. It's on sale on Direct2Drive just about every fucking week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom