• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Does anyone know whether or not the retail boxed copies, registration keys will activate in Steam for the Sims games?

Suairyu

Banned
Decado said:
They worth playing?
No. Lightweight games whose gameplay is done better elsewhere.

Also, they're poorly written. I say this as a lover of Penny Arcade comics. Guys have no idea how to write for the videogame medium.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, been playing some Magicka and Monday Night Combat, and both games are pretty enjoyable. Magicka is best played in a group (At least have one other person), though right now the code seems all around rough. Game doesn't close correctly, and it can be hard to join a game, but the actually game play is quiet fun, worth $10 IMO, and well worth it if it goes on sale and have some people to play with.

MNC is an enjoyable game, but it definitely could use more content. I don't think I can get much more then 40 hours out of it in its current state before I become board of it, but that isn't to bad for $15. It could also use some improvements on connecting to games.

Lothars

TheExodu5 said:
I'm tempted to get the Sims...just because of 50% off.

Same, I have been wanting to play the Sims 3 for a long time now and I was waiting for it on Steam, so it's tempting to pick it up but I don't know a 90 bucks for the pack is still more than I want to pay for it.

Twig

Banned
magicka is brillo

i am not british but i did just randomly decide to visit zombie cow studios' webpage, hence: brillo (i think it's a british thing)

trinest

Kritz said:
Only 12 more months and you can buy Sims 3 everything for $5 and get a free blowjob from gabe himself.
I love that Steam Sales exist. Now that Sims 3 is on Steam, I'll just buy it and all the expansions (as I don't got the expansions) on Steam during the Sale.

Suairyu

Banned
Kritz said:
Only 12 more months and you can buy Sims 3 everything for $5 and get a free blowjob from gabe himself.
Here's hoping. I bought Sims 3 day 0 because it's The Sims, but have had a strong enough will power to avoid buying the expansions. Unfortunately (fortunately), the expansions this time around seem to actually add things of value to the core experience*, so I don't know how much longer I can hold out. A Steam sale would be a very, very good thing for me.

*Open For Business for the Sims 2 was definitely worth it. The rest... not so much.

x3sphere said:
That new Crasher game looks fun. But $30 is too much for an impulse buy. Wish there was a demo.
I don't wish to sound harsh on the game or it's devs but that is a high asking price for what I see in the trailer, it looks fun but £23 is rich.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
I think I'll keep playing Madballs.
2ezpjc74s5u.gif

Insaniac

can someone help me? I recently redownloaded the steam client to try out the Magicka demo. I've updated Steam and all, downloaded the demo and when I try to play it, it says "launching" then stops and nothing happens.

vocab

Insaniac said:
can someone help me? I recently redownloaded the steam client to try out the Magicka demo. I've updated Steam and all, downloaded the demo and when I try to play it, it says "launching" then stops and nothing happens.

Make sure you have the latest Direct X, and make sure XNA installed properly. If you didnt get a first time installation, go to your steam/common/magicka and look for the xna installation.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Madballs is like a shitty version of Gauntlet.

Speaking of which, why didn't they port Gauntlet Legends?

Joe Molotov

Stallion Free said:
I doubt good old Brad will change. He does have principles after all and he lives by them...

He'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes and Gabe is swept into power.

Insaniac

vocab said:
Make sure you have the latest Direct X, and make sure XNA installed properly. If you didnt get a first time installation, go to your steam/common/magicka and look for the xna installation.

tried that, and i tried reinstalling the steam client... still nothing :( really want to try magicka

epmode

Insaniac said:
tried that, and i tried reinstalling the steam client... still nothing :( really want to try magicka
Does the screen go black for a second?

Magicka is kind of a buggy mess right now. It only occasionally launches for me.

Try restarting your computer.

Kritz

Banned
FYI, get magicka now while nobody knows how to play because screwing up in this game is way way more fun than min/maxing it will ever be.

I spent a good 2-3 minutes trying to pull off a meteor shower, which I eventually pulled off, but all I managed to do was kill my entire team with it in a firey death.

Even if 2/3rds of the time I can't join a game without it crashing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Apropos of nothing, but playing Greed Corp on one monitor while streaming music / surfing the net in the other feels so right. Turned based games are great for "casual" play that isn't dumbed down.

Any other decent turned based games on Steam that are in the impulse buy pricing category?

Nabs

Fredescu said:
Any tips for finding a game? 30 minutes and no dice.
that's what happens when a game is 30 bucks and has no following. there are no bots, so you can't do anything unless there are others playing. i did a 1v1 with vert, and we both rage quit after a bit. send that link to some people, and see if they'd be down to play.

deleted

SapientWolf said:
Apropos of nothing, but playing Greed Corp on one monitor while streaming music / surfing the net in the other feels so right. Turned based games are great for "casual" play that isn't dumbed down.

Any other decent turned based games on Steam that are in the impulse buy pricing category?

Delve Deeper falls into this category and Defense Grid is great for surfing while playing too.

vocab

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Lol, I guess the Penny Arcade games aren't any good? No one even mentioned they are the weekend deal.

I heard they are pretty basic games. I'm not a fan of penny arcade, so you are either a fan or you are not.

UraMallas

Listen. I want an old school RPG style game that plays almost exactly like old school RPGs. I want sprites, I want level-grinding, I want magic, I want a stereotypical main cast and I want a simple, easy battle system and leveling system. Steam, do you have something for me?

Max

I am not Max
UraMallas said:
Listen. I want an old school RPG style game that plays almost exactly like old school RPGs. I want sprites, I want level-grinding, I want magic, I want a stereotypical main cast and I want a simple, easy battle system and leveling system. Steam, do you have something for me?
Recettear, although it probably isn't exactly what you're looking for

Nelo Ice

Banned
UraMallas said:

if u have a 360 i think indie games has what ur looking for

havent played em myself but gaf recommends breath of death and cutulu saves the world

Nelo Ice said:
if u have a 360 i think indie games has what ur looking for

havent played em myself but gaf recommends breath of death and cutulu saves the world

They're coming to PC eventually as well. Presumably Steam unless they get denied by Valve.

UraMallas said:
Now we're talking, guys. Thanks. I'll check into those XBLIG when I get near my Xbox but for now I'm trying the PC ones. :)
Have you played Knytt and Knytt stories on pc? if not you are missing out.

Peff

UraMallas said:
Now we're talking, guys. Thanks. I'll check into those XBLIG when I get near my Xbox but for now I'm trying the PC ones. :)

There's the Shining series in the Sega Classics Pack 4. Both Shining Force are SRPGs but they're much closer to what you're looking for than Recettear, and then there's Shining in the Darkness which is pretty much it. Assuming you haven't played them before, I think it's a good option, plus you get Gunstar Heroes.

pilonv1

UraMallas said:

I haven't played them but I've heard the Eschalon games are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom