• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just freed up some space on my hard drive and installed Wine. Now I'm installing all those Windows games that have somehow ended up on my Steam account so far...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eschalon books 1 and 2 fit everything you want except the party based stuff, as they are both single character games.

mclaren777

Can my friend play his Steam games on my computer?

He recently bought Amnesia but his laptop can't really handle it. I just built a new Sandy Bridge rig last week and I've offered to let him come over and play, but we're worried that Steam might not let him login.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Blackheim

mclaren777 said:

He recently bought Amnesia but his laptop can't really handle it. I just built a new Sandy Bridge rig last week and I've offered to let him come over and play, but we're worried that Steam might not let him login.

Yep, you can log into his account from your PC and have access to his library.

vocab

mclaren777 said:

It works without any issues. The only problems would be the games with activation limits.

TheExodu5

Banned
mclaren777 said:

It'll be fine.

Remember to turn down SSAO samples to 4 in the options. Setting them to 128 kills framerate, even on my SLI system.

vocab

Schmattakopf said:
I swear, Steam notifies me that someone is playing Magicka several times a minute. Does it crash a lot or something?

Well it was rushed out 3 months early, and has had 3-4 patches since release with more coming this week. I imagine the multiplayer is still unstable from the sound of it. I'm gonna wait till the summer sale before I pick this game up. Maybe it will be very polished by then.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Schmattakopf said:
I swear, Steam notifies me that someone is playing Magicka several times a minute. Does it crash a lot or something?
That is me, Twig, n0b, and rac most likely, and yes, it is very unstable. Crashes, doesn't launch right, ect.

But very fun.

But for an example of a bug, and I am going to report this soon, for the boss battle in chapter 4 if you stand in front of where the boss walks after you destroy "The Machine!", he can't get though and the game never continues since he is stuck trying to walk to his destination, but is blocked due you being in the way (I was checking to see if I could harm him before the offical start of his part of the battle), the others were pissed at me.

Psy-Phi

My friends and I haven't experienced more than 2 game ending bugs/crashes each (1 for all of us was in the same game). In my experience the game is just as stable as any other game that isn't Elder Scrolls or Fallout related.

The games I'm playing now (like Global Agenda, TF2, and Red Faction Guerrilla) all have crashed just as rare as Magicka so far (15 hours of play time, 2 crashes, 1 to desktop one our characters couldn't move but enemies could after a cutscene).

Setting up a multiplayer game however may cause issues as you try to ensure ports are working...but that's been fixed on day 2 of release. And if the host is actively using thier upstream like a dumb-ass, well that makes all sorts of fun laggy problems happen. But that's not unique to this game :p.

Buy it, game' awesome and hilarious. I hope MMO's steal the magic casting system because it would make playing casters so much more engaging.

Twig

Banned
Magicka is easily the buggiest game I have played in years. It even beats STALKER in that regard.

Luckily it's also one of the best co-op games I've ever played, so that has to count for something, I suppose.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe Twig was right and the lag from him being on the West Coast, Nob in Texas, and rac and me on upper and lower East Coast is causing some of the issues. It could also be due to us being far to spell happy and firing lots of stuff really fast.

MNC

I get huge desyncs in chapter 3 Magicka when I'm playing with a buddy; so I haven't been able to progress at all :(

MNC

Can't wait for the (final?) patch tonight; lot of things being smoothed out and fixed; I love dev support, despite the game buggy they're working hard at fixing things, just like Meat Boy in the beginning.

IceMarker

I just got Magicka gifted out of the bllue by a close friend of mine, by the sound of it, I'm gonna hold off on installing it until after a few more patches...

MNC

HOLY SHIT THEY TOTALLY LISTENED TO MY UPDATE FROM THE WHAT KIND OF UPDATE DO YOU WANT THREAD.

Edit: AND EVEN MADE IT BETTURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

How many images can you store?

Edit: I thought I was quoting the beta update screenshot thing. Where did I see the post!?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MNC said:
How many images can you store?

Edit: I thought I was quoting the beta update screenshot thing. Where did I see the post!?

i forked the post out into a new thread, feel free to discuss it either in here or out there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MrMister said:
I just got Magicka gifted out of the bllue by a close friend of mine, by the sound of it, I'm gonna hold off on installing it until after a few more patches...
Same. If it's a beta then just call it a beta. MNC did and there were no hard feelings.

Mrbob

The staying power of Magicka as the number one seller since release has surprised me. Haven't picked it up yet, but I might tonight before the extras are gone. Are those extra items worth it?

MNC

Mrbob said:
The staying power of Magicka as the number one seller since release has surprised me. Haven't picked it up yet, but I might tonight before the extras are gone. Are those extra items worth it?
No, but the gameplay is. Latest big patch was just released and fixed alot of things; you should really try it.

epmode

MNC said:
No, but the gameplay is. Latest big patch was just released and fixed alot of things; you should really try it.
Stupid game still jumps around like a madman for me, but only after crossing the first broken bridge in Chapter 1. Guess I'll wait some more.

Assassins Creed 2 is pretty great, but this DRM is killing me. Ubi's servers are undergoing maintenance, and so apparently I can't play AC2 because I can't log into Ubi.com. This is fucking ridiculous. Anyone else having this problem?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can't play any game with that DRM because I refused to buy it. It sucks because I'd like AC2 for PC. My money is waiting for you, Ubisoft.

graywolf323

Mrbob said:

pretty sure the extras were gone before you posted this even

while they haven't updated the banner image it does say offer ends on 1/31 10am PST

Mid-Week Sale: Global Agenda (75% off - $29.99 $7.50)

[fake edit] beaten...

Now to go back through this and other threads to get impressions. I thought this was a multiplayer deathmatch only. Didn't know about the MAG-like persistent agency stuff or co-op PvE missions.

Not sure if want, I heard the online player base is small with dedicated players now, still it might give me a month of entertainment.

Psy-Phi

Global Agenda was the best game I bought over the winter sale. Loving the heck out of it. It's like Tribes, Guild Wars & Planetside somehow all had a baby together.

vocab

I played the demo when it was pay to play. I didn't like it that much, and the game was running pretty terrible on my computer.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mrbob said:
I wonder how many copies sold they're up to now. They moved 30k within the first 24 hours, so I want to say the sales are now double, if not tripled since then.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Psy-Phi said:
Global Agenda was the best game I bought over the winter sale. Loving the heck out of it. It's like Tribes, Guild Wars & Planetside somehow all had a baby together.

Complete opposite reaction here. Got it during the holiday sale, played enough to get up to lvl 15 or so and can't stand it.

The shooting is horrible, the quests are blander then bland, the instances are crap and there are so few of them and the PVP is just a ridiculous spam fest.

I weep that these guys are the ones making a new Tribes game.

itxaka

Defeatist
son't buy global agenda.

The game is ok but I just keep getting connection errors while playing that make me lag like for 20 seconds making the game unplayable.

checking their support forums is a waste of time. They ask for a tracert and the antivirus used. Then they say LOL to the people complaining and close the threads arguing that is an end user error :lol

I'm not even gonna waste my time opening a question at their forums. It sucks and it's unplayable. I'l keep playing other online games which work flawlessly.

itxaka said:
son't buy global agenda.

The game is ok but I just keep getting connection errors while playing that make me lag like for 20 seconds making the game unplayable.

checking their support forums is a waste of time. They ask for a tracert and the antivirus used. Then they say LOL to the people complaining and close the threads arguing that is an end user error :lol

I'm not even gonna waste my time opening a question at their forums. It sucks and it's unplayable. I'l keep playing other online games which work flawlessly.

Telling everyone not to buy a game cause of a few problems some people experience is not very nice. I think the game is good, and great for F2P at such a cheap price.

Remy

I also enjoyed Global Agenda as a pickup during the winter sale.

Anyone who grabs it (or people who grabbed it previously), drop me a PM with your character name and I'll invite you to the NeoGAF Agency (which is currently empty because that thread moved too fast and nobody saw this offer previously.)

Joe Molotov

As it gets closer to Feb 3rd, is anyone else getting the itch to buy The Sims 3 Ultimate Bundle? Loving_Steam, help me! Gray Wolf has already added it to his wishlist, so he's no help.

graywolf323

Joe Molotov said:
As it gets closer to Feb 3rd, is anyone else getting the itch to buy The Sims 3 Ultimate Bundle? Loving_Steam, help me! Gray Wolf has already added it to his wishlist, so he's no help.

lol sorry

I'm especially no help since if I hadn't already bought them at 50% off on Impulse they'd be in my library instead of just my wishlist >_>

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Joe Molotov said:
You will not play it. You will simply own it, maybe install it, and in 3 months it will go on sale again for less.

vocab

Drkirby said:
You will not play it. You will simply own it, maybe install it, and in 3 months it will go on sale again for less.

Pretty much. I held off buying Railworks because I knew I wouldn't play it. I'm saving my money for Farming Simulator 2011 when it goes on sale.

confused

Banned
Joe Molotov said:

I didn't even last through the weekend. Sorry bro, you're on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom