• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
cackhyena said:
Am I missing something when it comes to plugging in a 360 controller to try out on Source games? I thought they work for it. Just tried it for the first time in Portal 1. Clicked on the game pad preferences and nothing. Help?

Make sure the pad is plugged in before launching the game.

Otherwise, the pad works great in all Source games (including Portal 1&2) I've tried with no configuration necessary.

cackhyena

gregor7777 said:
Make sure the pad is plugged in before launching the game.

Otherwise, the pad works great in all Source games (including Portal 1&2) I've tried with no configuration necessary.
Yeah, i did that too. No go. I'm confused.

cackhyena

I'm an idiot. Once I backed out and started again and actually went into a bonus map, the controller worked fine. I was expecting control over the main menu. Thanks guys

Mrbob

Gully State said:
Terraria is outselling Witcher 2? That's pretty amazing...

Terraria is becoming an cult hit beast. I've been looking at the daily concurrent users playing this game and it seems to keep growing every day. Now it is up to almost 30,000 concurrent users daily playing at peak.

I haven't picked it up yet but perhaps I'll have to join in soon.

cackhyena said:
I'm an idiot. Once I backed out and started again and actually went into a bonus map, the controller worked fine. I was expecting control over the main menu. Thanks guys

Now that you mention it, IIRC the controller didn't work in either HL2:ep2 or Portal in the menu.

it does however work in the menus for Portal 2.

cackhyena

gregor7777 said:
Now that you mention it, IIRC the controller didn't work in either HL2:ep2 or Portal in the menu.

it does however work in the menus for Portal 2.
Yeah, I remember hearing about Portal 2 being totally compatible from the start with controller. Cool, thanks.

I really wish Witcher 1 was compatible.

Leatherface

So did anyone get Metal Drift? What's the verdict on that one? It looks cool to me in a Cyber Sled kind of way. I may just grab it @ $3.40.

Joe Molotov

TheExodu5 said:
Because they cost an enormous amount of money to develop. They depend heavily on day 1 sales to recoup much of the development costs.
one could argue that they would do more money by selling to more people (lower price) give the subscription and the fact that a success of a MMO highly depends on the number of people playing it (more people attract even more people).

Anyhow probably It's just that anyone that is ok in paying a subscription doesn't really care to save 10-15$ over the initial price. So the demand isn't really that responsive to the price.... ergo they can get away with a higher price.

nyong

Banned
Syberia is pretty awesome if you like adventure games. It's pretty close in quality to The Longest Journey, IMO. I already own the disks to both, though. I'll pick it up for Steam once it goes (further) on sale.

graywolf323

LiK said:
bought. was waiting for GOG versions to go on sale but they snoozed so Steam gets my money. never played them.

they've been on sale in the past I bought them on sale, lemme dig up the email receipt

GOG.com said:
Hi GrayWolf323! Thanks for shopping at GOG.com
Below are products that you have ordered. Please review the details of transaction. If you feel that there has been a mistake in your order, do not hesitate to contact our support team.
Syberia 2 $9.99
Syberia $9.99
Weekend promo -$10.00
order total: $9.98

that was on June 27th of last year

TheExodu5

Banned
MesserWolf said:
one could argue that they would do more money by selling to more people (lower price) give the subscription and the fact that a success of a MMO highly depends on the number of people playing it (more people attract even more people).

Anyhow probably It's just that anyone that is ok in paying a subscription doesn't really care to save 10-15$ over the initial price. So the demand isn't really that responsive to the price.... ergo they can get away with a higher price.

They pretty much can. People going to a new MMO want to do so as soon as possible to get ahead of the curve.

In the case of Rift, day 1 sales were huge. They probably doubled the amount of servers they had at launch.

Sober

nyong said:
Syberia is pretty awesome if you like adventure games. It's pretty close in quality to The Longest Journey, IMO. I already own the disks to both, though. I'll pick it up for Steam once it goes (further) on sale.
Also, IIRC, Syberia 2 has Starforce on the disc, another reason to get a digital copy.

sfried

Thanks again TaKeRx.

I tried the Street Fighter 4 benchmark and found my fps to be around 50fps with backgrounds on and 70fps without on the lowest settings.

LiK

graywolf323 said:
weren't they on sale during GOG's Christmas sale?

i didn't buy anything from GOG until this year after i built my new PC. so i probably missed out on some major sales.

graywolf323

LiK said:
i didn't buy anything from GOG until this year after i built my new PC. so i probably missed out on some major sales.

ah well don't worry they do a major Christmas sale like Steam (though not as extravagant or insane)

kinda ironic you waited until you built a new PC since very few games on GOG would have needed a new PC to run >_>

LiK

graywolf323 said:
ah well don't worry they do a major Christmas sale like Steam (though not as extravagant or insane)

kinda ironic you waited until you built a new PC since very few games on GOG would have needed a new PC to run >_>

oh yes, it was ironic.

i bought a new MBP last year and GOG was useless with it so i never bothered to check their site until this year.

Javaman

cackhyena said:
Am I missing something when it comes to plugging in a 360 controller to try out on Source games? I thought they work for it. Just tried it for the first time in Portal 1. Clicked on the game pad preferences and nothing. Help?
Are you using a wireless controller with the play and charge kit? If so it won't work. You'll have to buy a wireless pc receiver. Pretty fucking stupid design decision if you ask me since it works just fine plugged into a 360.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'd feel a whole lot better if someone would come out and say that they really enjoyed the last couple of daily deals on Steam. That way I could tell myself that these deals aren't terrible at all there's just not for me.

wienke said:
I'd feel a whole lot better if someone would come out and say that they really enjoyed the last couple of daily deals on Steam. That way I could tell myself that these deals aren't terrible at all there's just not for me.
I believe the vast majority of daily deals are going to be like this. Games nobody cares too much about get a bit of spotlight to see if they nab a sale or two.

wienke said:

I said from the beginning that these sales were gonna be conservative and somewhat shitty. There should be the rare gem from time to time, though.

That said, I bought the Trucking game yesterday, and it's actually kind of fun.

cicero

LocoMrPollock said:
I said from the beginning that these sales were gonna be conservative and somewhat shitty. There should be the rare gem from time to time, though.

That said, I bought the Trucking game yesterday, and it's actually kind of fun.
You just proved the worth of the somewhat mediocre daily sales.

Kuran

Banned
What happens if you have a game that is no longer available on Steam? (Such as Sega Rally Revo.)

Can you still reinstall it once you delete it locally?

Kuran said:
What happens if you have a game that is no longer available on Steam? (Such as Sega Rally Revo.)

Yep. I've got the pre-GOTY Arkham Asylum, for instance. It's not available in the store anymore, but I can still install it and play it.

Joe Molotov

Snuggler said:
I looked it on on the 'tube and it looks strangely entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU1lqHoZYos

the crashes suck but I like when the cargo part of the semi flips up for no reason

I like how the traffic AI is completely terrible, simulating actual driving conditions.

Kuran said:

Yes, you can still reinstall it forever.

That's something I was wondering. Can I voluntarily give up a game on Steam? Like if I got a game that was so terrible I can't stand the sight of it, can I email somebody in Steam support and have it permanently stricken from my account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom