• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maaseru

Banned
Slavik81 said:
tfcServers2011.png

Danne-Danger said:
I'm sure he'll find a couple, unless they all went over to Fortress Forever, which I doubt!

CLASSIC!!! <3 I'll get it!!. Really this game has to be one of the top 3 online experiences I've ever had in my life.

hamchan

The Broken Ska Record said:
Wow, after using Steam for 3+ years, Impulse's client is pretty bad in comparison.
When did the current Steam design come out? I remember being very excited for it since the old steam client was pretty ugly.

So Magika looks pretty interesting, but it seems to be a purely multiplayer game. How is the community (if one even exists), and is the game worth buying?

Ionic

Obsessed said:
So Magika looks pretty interesting, but it seems to be a purely multiplayer game. How is the community (if one even exists), and is the game worth buying?

There are plenty of people playng, but the community for Magicka is your friends. Only play multiplayer on this game with your friends or you'll have a troublesome time enjoying the experience. The game is definitely worth buying though. Try the demo.

Ionic said:
There are plenty of people playng, but the community for Magicka is your friends. Only play multiplayer on this game with your friends or you'll have a troublesome time enjoying the experience. The game is definitely worth buying though. Try the demo.

Ok so basically there is no community unless the GAF Magika community is willing to accept me as a friend.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe I'm weird but I enjoyed Magicka as a single player game, at least until I got to the later levels and it started to get a little frustrating on my own.

Someday I'd like to try the MP, though.

Umm, Magicka is great definitely pick it up, the community is fine; also there's always people to play with no matter what and at any time of the day.

Magicka has a very very strong community and even organized pvp circles.

The only problem is the game itself, so damn buggy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
commissar said:
What. This is great news. Maybe Microsoft will release more games.

/still praying for Alan Wake

You say that, but deep down you know that no matter how successful Fable III, AoE Online and Flight Simulator are, Microsoft are just going to say, "Well, we tried" and walk away from the PC once more.

Orellio said:
But it's still behind The Witcher!

I'd like to think the difference is big.

JaseC

Narag said:
Will buy at $5 then.

You'd be much better off spending that on a hooker with the intention of receiving AIDS. I imagine the ensuing experience of your immune system slowly decaying would be much more preferable than even a moment spent with Fable 3.

Ledsen

Narag said:
Was it really that bad? I've heard some divisive opinions on it.

Depends on who you ask. My friend and my girlfriend both love it to death, and say it's even better than Fable 2 (which they both played for something like 50-100 hours). I guess you may hate it if you're a hardcore RPG player, but then again the game probably isn't for you. For example, my girlfriends absolute favourite thing about Fable is that you can't die and that you can just mash X to win every battle (she hates fighting in games). On the other hand, the aforementioned friend is a super hardcore gamer and still loves it.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
JaseC said:
You'd be much better off spending that on a hooker with the intention of receiving AIDS. I imagine the ensuing experience of your immune system slowly decaying would be much more preferable than even a moment spent with Fable 3.

you really feel some kind of way about this. I can only respect that comment.

Narag

Peerbreed said:

That's one of the nicer negative comments. There's one guy on here that I fear would assault people for buying Fable III if he could.

JaseC said:
Wait, no, there is something - the 'Exit' option takes you to Windows instead of the main menu.
lol

JaseC

Peerbreed said:

I've never felt so betrayed in my entire life. For every three or four people saying Fable 3 sucked the big one, there was at least one person who said it was, at the very least, enjoyable the first time through is you liked the previous entries, even in the face of its flaws. Since I loved the original Fable and the sequel a little less so, I figured I'd be one of those people who considered the good aspects of the game to outweigh the bad.

After purchasing the game, it quickly became apparent that it was all bad.

Wait, no, there is something - the 'Exit' option takes you straight back to Windows instead of the main menu.

SmokyDave

I know this isn't quite the thread for it, but can anyone recommend a decent Tower Defense game on Steam? Ideally I'd like it to be very scaleable (so I can run it on my work laptop, but have it looking good on my home machine) with plenty of unlockables/levels to keep me busy. Price doesn't matter, art-style doesn't matter. Preferably one with set paths rather than paths created by placing towers. Preferably not ball-breakingly difficult either! PM replies welcome.

Pre-emptive Cheers!

Dynoro

SmokyDave said:
I know this isn't quite the thread for it, but can anyone recommend a decent Tower Defense game on Steam? Ideally I'd like it to be very scaleable (so I can run it on my work laptop, but have it looking good on my home machine) with plenty of unlockables/levels to keep me busy. Price doesn't matter, art-style doesn't matter. Preferably one with set paths rather than paths created by placing towers. Preferably not ball-breakingly difficult either! PM replies welcome.

Pre-emptive Cheers!
Defense Grid is excellent :) It has a mix of pre-made paths and open areas for levels and a nice mix of different towers and upgrades.

benjipwns

Banned
Even though it was my GOTY when it came out I'm not sure Defense Grid scales all that well. Depends on what's in that work laptop.

I know people will recommend Plants v. Zombies even though it's not traditional tower defense.
Ookami-kun said:
So is Cities XL worth it or should I get the 2011 version instead?
Only get the original if you want the discount for 2011. (It stacks, or at least did in the past. I got 75% off on XL which I then applied to a 25% off sale on 2011 for 75% off it.)

Dynoro said:
Defense Grid is excellent :) It has a mix of pre-made paths and open areas for levels and a nice mix of different towers and upgrades.
Yeah. And Revenge of the Titans is good, too, and might run better on your laptop if it does not have a good GPU. RotT does have a lot of content and stuff to unlock including tech trees, but does not have pre-defined paths.

SmokyDave

Thanks guys!

I love Steam. I decided that Defence Grid was too good to miss (although it's a little too high-end for my work laptop) and then I look in my library and apparently I already bought it. Probably during a sale or part of a bundle. That happens a lot.

Will check out RotT. Thanks for the ideas.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Everyone got their wishlists ready for the inevitable summer sale? I've ballooned back up to 82 games!

SmokyDave said:
Thanks guys!

I love Steam. I decided that Defence Grid was too good to miss (although it's a little too high-end for my work laptop) and then I look in my library and apparently I already bought it. Probably during a sale or part of a bundle. That happens a lot.

I think there was a 12-pack at one point so it's possible someone gifted it to you and you didn't remember.

ArjanN

Dynoro said:

I like how you have a plants vs zombies avatar yet you recommended him Defense Grid.
(both are worth getting by the way)

EDIT: right, skipped over the pre-set paths bit.

SmokyDave

Stumpokapow said:
I think there was a 12-pack at one point so it's possible someone gifted it to you and you didn't remember.
Nobody gifts me games :(

I reckon it was in an Xmas indie bundle. Or, I've had the TD itch before and forgotten I'd scratched it.

ArjanN said:
I like how you have a plants vs zombies avatar yet you recommended him Defense Grid.
PvZ isn't 'proper' Tower Defence! It's a great game though, I already have it on about 15 platforms!

SmokyDave said:

Pre-emptive Cheers!

the reverse tower defense game 'Warzone anomaly Earth' is also worth checking out (a 7 in the latest Edge). It has a demo, so no need to go in blind.
Haven't played it myself yet, but its concept (and reception) sounds good to me.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Stumpokapow said:
Everyone got their wishlists ready for the inevitable summer sale? I've ballooned back up to 82 games!

Damn. My wishlist is 6 games strong, and 4 of those are $10 indie games. The only games I'm hoping go on sale during the summer event are Shogun 2 and Bulletstorm.

Dynoro

ArjanN said:

EDIT: right, skipped over the pre-set paths bit.
I work on the assumption that everyone interested in PvZ already has it; good point though :)

Zeitgeister said:
the reverse tower defense game 'Warzone anomaly Earth' is also worth checking out (a 7 in the latest Edge). It has a demo, so no need to go in blind.
Haven't played it myself yet, but its concept (and reception) sounds good to me.
There's also a QL on giantbomb of Warzone if you're interested (before you get a chance to try the demo)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So The Witcher is pretty hot here, how would the first game be for a JRPG lover and WRPG (or at least the Elder Scrolls/Bioware type stuff) hater? The trailer on Steam seems to have actual interesting hack and slash gameplay and it's Polish, so I'm not fully sure it'll adhere to most WRPG archetypes.

Princess Skittles said:
So The Witcher is pretty hot here, how would the first game be for a JRPG lover and WRPG (or at least the Elder Scrolls/Bioware type stuff) hater? The trailer on Steam seems to have actual interesting hack and slash gameplay and it's Polish, so I'm not fully sure it'll adhere to most WRPG archetypes.

the Witcher 1 won't change your opinion. the Witcher 2 however, is a different beast (it has a new engine and new combat system). I need to pick that shit up

SmokyDave

Zeitgeister said:
Thanks, man. I just noticed that one the store and I was going to download the demo until I read this....

Dynoro said:
There's also a QL on giantbomb of Warzone if you're interested (before you get a chance to try the demo)
So I'll watch this when I get home. And then buy it. And then sit there slightly melancholy as I realise that the GB Staff aren't going to narrate my copy of the game :(

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Ikuu said:
It's $5 on GoG.com so it's probably worth taking a chance on.
The Witcher?

I don't have GoG (yet), so maybe I'll try it. Is it one of the games I can buy there and then register on Steam?

From The Dust said:
the Witcher 1 won't change your opinion. the Witcher 2 however, is a different beast (it has a new engine and new combat system). I need to pick that shit up
Hmm. Well I'll check some more videos/impressions at least, it seemed a lot more interesting than the typical WRPG to me from what little I've seen.

nexen

Stumpokapow said:
125 games wishlisted. Standing by.

edit: wth? Did Juiced 2 get removed from the steam store??

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SmokyDave said:
Thanks guys!

being the esoteric connoisseur that you are, i'd recommend atom zombie smasher.

the game's 60s atomic age theme is particularly arresting, endowing the game with personality that merrily activates all those culture neurons that can be left wanting by the dry militarism of other tower-defence titles, and the lighter 2d presentation makes it the perfect windowed compliment to the excel sheet, petty forum argument or livejasmine stream of your choosing.

Princess Skittles said:
I'm currently playing The Witcher (4 hours in), and I have to say that it's a much simpler game than most WRPGs. The skill trees are pretty basic and the whole game is very linear; at least so far.

Epix said:
Did you receive some sort of notification from Valve when there's a price change on something in your wishlist?

No. Unfortunately Valve hasn't been too proactive in creating a notification system for sales or new releases to email.

StuBurns

Banned
LovingSteam said:
No. Unfortunately Valve hasn't been too proactive in creating a notification system for sales or new releases to email.
They should have an auto-buy feature, you set a price threshold for everything on your list so you don't have to worry about it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom