• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pix

Weenerz said:
So far the Ubisoft sale has been a bust, I only purchased one collection and that was PoP.

Only people with Steam would say something like this lol

I can't imagine other platforms (360,PS3) getting an entire series of PoP for $15 and being disappointed.

Weenerz said:
So far the Ubisoft sale has been a bust, I only purchased one collection and that was PoP.
2 days left and Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Assassin Creed, or even Beyond Good & Evil have yet to go on sale. Bracing for final disappointment.

Stitch

Gold Member
Kuran said:
This sucks, I really wanted to get into Stalker Pripyat.... Can't get passed the X-ray 1.6 has stopped working error...kill me.
which version did you install? normal or advanced? maybe the advanced version is just too much for your system.

Joe Molotov

viewtifulsub said:
2 days left and Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Assassin Creed, or even Beyond Good & Evil have yet to go on sale. Bracing for final disappointment.

I bet the final two days are going to be AssCreed and Tom Clancy, but I'm hoping for a Might & Magic day.

Salsa

viewtifulsub said:
2 days left and Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Assassin Creed, or even
Beyond Good & Evil have yet to go on sale. Bracing for final disappointment.

.. you really think its gonna have its own full day?

Its Tom Clancy (or just Splinter Cell) and Ass Creed for sure

Stitch

Gold Member
they will troll us and make the last deals a call of juarez day and a CSI day
btw beyond good and evil is already pretty cheap...

Salsa

Public Service Announcement time: GET BLOODY GOOD TIME, ITS 3.34USD RIGHT NOW AND WE HAVE A NEW GAF COMMUNITY/REVIVAL IN THE MAKING

bloody-good-time-img669507.jpg

its also a fantastic game that got screwed by Ubisoft with no marketing or post-release support whatsoever. Outerlight, the devs behind it, went broke, but the company is not completely dissolved since Chris Peck still recieves the money from the game, and what the future holds for him and Outerlight is yet to be seen. Help them out.

Here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428731

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gafbloodygoodtime

and GiantBomb QuickLook for those in the fence: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-bloody-good-time/17-3432/

gogogogogo

I actually picked up Bloody Good Time earlier in the week when I saw it was on sale. Pretty fun and I'll look into joining the GAF group.

Is Black Ops Steamworks? And how is it on PC? I can get it pretty cheap and I'm really wanting to play that new Escalation pack.

Salsa

LastWindow said:
Is Black Ops Steamworks? And how is it on PC? I can get it pretty cheap and I'm really wanting to play that new Escalation pack.

Its steamworks, and its totally fine on PC

how can you get it cheap if you dont mind me asking?

hamchan

LastWindow said:
I actually picked up Bloody Good Time earlier in the week when I saw it was on sale. Pretty fun and I'll look into joining the GAF group.

Yep BLOPS is steamworks. How it runs seems to vary. It seems to not run that great when you have a combination of Windows 7 and a dual core. I have that combination and it ran like crap for me at launch, runs acceptable to me after the last few patches, fluctuating between 45-60 fps, certainly playable enough for me to top the scoreboard. Main menu freezes for like 10 seconds for me, though that's nothing too big. Also mod tools are about to be released, so that's good.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SalsaShark said:
its also a fantastic game that got screwed by Ubisoft with no marketing or post-release support whatsoever. Outerlight, the devs behind it, went broke, but the company is not completely dissolved since Chris Peck still recieves the money from the game, and what the future holds for him and Outerlight is yet to be seen. Help them out.
for anyone who wants a little more detail on the "screwed by ubisoft" part: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418109

SalsaShark said:
Its steamworks, and its totally fine on PC

how can you get it cheap if you dont mind me asking?

Well it's $42.99 on Amazon and I've got credit to bring it down to $12.99.

hamchan said:
Yep BLOPS is steamworks. How it runs seems to vary. It seems to not run that great when you have a combination of Windows 7 and a dual core. I have that combination and it ran like crap for me at launch, runs acceptable to me after the last few patches, fluctuating between 45-60 fps, certainly playable enough for me to top the scoreboard. Main menu freezes for like 10 seconds for me, though that's nothing too big. Also mod tools are about to be released, so that's good.

Thanks for the feedback. It'll be interesting to see what people do with the mod tools.

Salsa

Orellio said:
Doesn't matter, the studio that built it is dead, you'd just be putting money in the pockets of criminals.

Chris Peck from Outerlight still recieves money for the game. The company isnt officially DEAD.

Relax.MX said:
Looks meh to me

we agree to disagree, pretty much every mainstream game looks MEH compared to the first look at this

Oreoleo

SalsaShark said:
Chris Peck from Outerlight still recieves money for the game. The company isnt officially DEAD.

Might as well be. Doubt Ubisoft will ever fund another project for them, they got what they wanted out of them :\

Salsa

Orellio said:
Might as well be. Doubt Ubisoft will ever fund another project for them, they got what they wanted out of them :\

Oh i agree, but still, but again, Chris Peck still gets some of the money :p so, better than nothing

you wouldnt exactly be throwing money at just Ubisoft

Oreoleo

SalsaShark said:
Oh i agree, but still, but again, Chris Peck still gets some of the money :p so, better than nothing

you wouldnt exactly be throwing money at just Ubisoft

You're right. I'm just angry because I love The Ship and both it and BGT didn't get the attention they deserved.

I spent like 3 years waiting for Ship 2, and then Ubisoft just went and fucked everyone over :(

Relax.MX

SalsaShark said:
we agree to disagree, pretty much every mainstream game looks MEH compared to the first look at this

Really? mmmm... I'm not sure I understand, but you almost sell me the game

PD: Salsa...the new LovingSteam or the Region 4 version?..(just kidding)

darthbob

Syphon Filter said:
Anyone have Battlefield 2: Complete Collection on Steam? Can you play with bots in offline mode?

Yeah, max of like 16. You can mod it to have more IIRC, but it's pretty taxing, at least it was for me back in 2005.

;_;

As has been said - the Ubisoft sale has been pretty disappointing this week so far. PoP pack was the only one I was really considering, but decided to pass on for now.

Really hoping for a Tom Clancy day to see if I can pick up a Splinter Cell (or 2), R6V1 (have #2 on 360) or Ghost Recon on the cheap.

And yes, $6.69 is more than I'd be willing to spend for any of those titles at the moment when I already have a fairly large backlog.

Conceptor

SalsaShark said:
Public Service Announcement time: GET BLOODY GOOD TIME, ITS 3.34USD RIGHT NOW AND WE HAVE A NEW GAF COMMUNITY/REVIVAL IN THE MAKING

bloody-good-time-img669507.jpg

Here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428731

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gafbloodygoodtime

and GiantBomb QuickLook for those in the fence: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-bloody-good-time/17-3432/

gogogogogo

Fun games tonight! The game plays very similarly to the Assassins Creed: Brotherhood mp, if that helps.

Zzoram

Conceptor said:
Fun games tonight! The game plays very similarly to the Assassins Creed: Brotherhood mp, if that helps.

You mean the game Ubisoft stole the game play from? I'm surprised there was no course of legal action. Must've been contract fine print or something.

chixdiggit

I too enjoy Bloody Good Time. I couldn't play a ton of it but it's fun to jump into every once in a while. I always find people playing too.

hamchan

Zzoram said:
You mean the game Ubisoft stole the game play from? I'm surprised there was no course of legal action. Must've been contract fine print or something.
If developers got sued everytime they steal a gameplay mechanic the games industry would be dead.

Zzoram

hamchan said:
If developers got sued everytime they steal a gameplay mechanic the games industry would be dead.

But Ubisoft actually signed a deal with these guys, got access to their game before release, ripped it off, then dumped them. This is a lot worse than copying an already released product.

Conceptor

Zzoram said:

More or less I suppose. I'm aware of what Ubisoft did to Outlerlight but I just mentioned AC:B in the hopes it might get BGT some more attention/looks :(.

Kuran

Banned
It really sucks buying two Stalker games on Steam and not being able to even launch them due to bugs.. :( I find a lot of boards talking about the same problem, but none of the solutions work for me. Perhaps I need to install a Windows XP partition for this series? Currently running Windows 7.

Now about Far Cry 2... it was quite odd in the beginning, the indoor/outdoor loading times and the gun handling took some time getting used to after spending a week playing Crysis (which I promptly uninstalled after the shitty tank mission).

But after I fixed a choppy terrain caching bug caused by DX10, I sat down with it again and everything clicked into place. Far Cry 2 is scratching the Stalker itch I had, even though it is quite different.

The african setting is brilliant, combined with the mercenary-friends system it reminds me a lot of Jagged Alliance in atmosphere. The graphics are mostly great and it runs great on max settings.

I'm not sure if I've encountered the 'checkpoint' complaint people always had with this game, I think it had to do with checkpoints along the way that kept spawning enemies if you return to them? This doesn't seem like such a problem and it keeps you on your toes.. if you want you can always just drive through?

The game seems to allow for a lot of cool shit to happen, last-minute explosive arrows at a convoy rushing towards you, with hugely satisfying explosions and amazing fire physics.. I dig it! There also seems to be a fair amount of NPC and world activity.. and of course the way it handles first-person character animations such as self-healing and door opening is good to see after first being done in Breakdown on Xbox.

It also comes in at around 3GB, which is good because I'm not a fan of 9GB Steam downloads.

Anyway, I just hope everyone who didn't have it yet and likes single player FPS games bought this for the $3 it went for. I'm glad I got it!

TheExodu5

Banned
Kuran said:
It really sucks buying two Stalker games on Steam and not being able to even launch them due to bugs.. :( I find a lot of boards talking about the same problem, but none of the solutions work for me.

You talking about it loading ridiculously slowly and freezing very often?

Download a cracked exe and use it instead of the Steam exe. They screwed up the Steam exes for both SoC and CoP at some point... Really annoying that they haven't fixed it yet.

Kuran

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
You talking about it loading ridiculously slowly and freezing very often?

Download a cracked exe and use it instead of the Steam exe. They screwed up the Steam exes for both SoC and CoP at some point... Really annoying that they haven't fixed it yet.

The problem with me is that after loading slowly, there is a 99% chance that its X-Ray Engine 1.6 crashes. A hard crash too since Task Manager fails to abort the process..

Will the cracked .exe work with the Complete mods? Could you provide a quick guide on how to go about this?

Shadow of Chernobyl was my second fav game when it came out, and wasn't able to play on max settings then... I really want to play it with the Complete mod this time out.

PS. What is Stalker: Lost World Requital? Is it a russian fan-mod?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RcFwhjb83o

TheExodu5

Banned
Kuran said:
The problem with me is that after loading slowly, there is a 99% chance that its X-Ray Engine 1.6 crashes. A hard crash too since Task Manager fails to abort the process..

Will the cracked .exe work with the Complete mods? Could you provide a quick guide on how to go about this?

Shadow of Chernobyl was my second fav game when it came out, and wasn't able to play on max settings then... I really want to play it with the Complete mod this time out.

PS. What is Stalker: Lost World Requital? Is it a russian fan-mod?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RcFwhjb83o

Yeah, it'll work with the Complete mods. I got my exes from GameCopyWorld.

For SoC, swapping the exe did the trick. With CoP, I think I needed to move the files from the bin folder to the main folder, or something like that. It's pretty obvious when you try to launch and it says it's missing files.

For some reason, retail and Steam actually use different directory structures, which I'm sure is part of the problem.

mojiimbo

Kuran said:
Now about Far Cry 2... it was quite odd in the beginning, the indoor/outdoor loading times and the gun handling took some time getting used to after spending a week playing Crysis (which I promptly uninstalled after the shitty tank mission).

But after I fixed a choppy terrain caching bug caused by DX10, I sat down with it again and everything clicked into place. Far Cry 2 is scratching the Stalker itch I had, even though it is quite different.

The african setting is brilliant, combined with the mercenary-friends system it reminds me a lot of Jagged Alliance in atmosphere. The graphics are mostly great and it runs great on max settings.
What was the choppy terrain bug and how did you fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom