• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

plc268

So... I'm playing through Far Cry 2, and I finally understand all the criticisms of it. Holy shit, what a bad game. Every mission basically the same damn thing, just on a different side of the map. Guard checkpoints are tedious and annoying, and it's damn difficult to figure out where you're being shot from at times.

That said, it was still worth the $5. It's a beautiful looking game, but not very fun. I've wasted more money on game rentals, so it's not too bad.

Heavy said:
Only thing is that I don't wanna miss the story because it continues from game to game and sounds cool :( I hope you can like speed run through the first game. I'm also worried about the first one's repetitiveness and boredom giving such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm too turned off to play the sequel.

Yea, I have no desire to play Ass2. I know people say it's much improved over the first one, but honestly it wasn't the repetitiveness that killed Ass1 for me, it was the sleep-inducing story and mechanics that did it for me.

plc268 said:
Yea, I have no desire to play Ass2. I know people say it's much improved over the first one, but honestly it wasn't the repetitiveness that killed Ass1 for me, it was the sleep-inducing story and mechanics that did it for me.

Ac1 and 2 are like day and night, those two things you described are two of the main things they completely fixed. Just saying.

plc268

scorpscarx said:
Ac1 and 2 are like day and night, those two things you described are two of the main things they completely fixed. Just saying.

Yea, I've heard all that before... and I'll probably eventually get to it, it's just not a priority.

Perhaps once it hits $5. :)
I already have a hell of a backlog anyway.

nyong

Banned
Good lord the AC2 DRM is annoying. I don't care about your stupid "U" points, Ubisoft. You're not fooling anyone with that half-baked faux social-gaming login.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
nyong said:
Good lord the AC2 DRM is annoying. I don't care about your stupid "U" points, Ubisoft. You're not fooling anyone with that half-baked faux social-gaming login.

No kidding. They're on the same shit list as EA for making me sign into a useless account to play a game I own. I don't care about Uplay or my Bioware account, just stay out of my damn way.

nyong

Banned
Snuggler said:
No kidding. They're on the same shit list as EA for making me sign into a useless account to play a game I own. I don't care about Uplay or my Bioware account, just stay out of my damn way.
What pisses me off most is that they're insulting my intelligence. It's like shoving a candle in a turd and trying to pass it off as a birthday cake. Anyone with half a brain isn't going to be fooled. I'd have more respect for them if they cut the BS and just made me log-in.

Zimbardo

would like to buy Ass Creed 2, but i'm trying to save up a nice chunk of change for the Steam summer sale ...and i already own Ass Creed 2 on xbox. (would much rather it on PC tho).

anyway, unless there's something GodLike on sale tomorrow, i'm probably done for now.

bought Farcry and BIA Hell's Highway.

nice UBIsoft week sale tho. good stuff.

Hmmm. I only played through about a third of AC2 on Xbox (rental) and I'm somewhat tempted to get it on Steam, but I'm put off by the fact that I'm sort of borderline capable of being able to run it. That and DRM.

I think I'll pass for now. $10 is still a little high for something I may not be able to run.

TheExodu5

Banned
leng jai said:
Is the PC port of ACII actually any good? I have my doubts.

It's good, except for a few points:

1) Requires a Ubisoft login to play
2) Shadows look quite bad when they're further than 5 feet away from you (much like STALKER)
3) Wireless 360 controller is not supported. No native 360 controller support, though the wired 360 controller works fine out of the box, minus the 360 button prompts.

Heavy said:
Only thing is that I don't wanna miss the story because it continues from game to game and sounds cool :( I hope you can like speed run through the first game. I'm also worried about the first one's repetitiveness and boredom giving such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm too turned off to play the sequel.

Just youtube the cutscenes from AC1. The game is incredibly dull and you only need to watch the cutscenes and such to understand the basic background going into 2.

leng jai

TheExodu5 said:
It's good, except for a few points:

1) Requires a Ubisoft login to play
2) Shadows look quite bad when they're further than 5 feet away from you (much like STALKER)
3) Wireless 360 controller is not supported. No native 360 controller support, though the wired 360 controller works fine out of the box, minus the 360 button prompts.

What the fuck?

TheExodu5

Banned
I can't launch Brotherhood.

Unable to find the Ubisoft Game Launcher, please re-install Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Ubisoft Game Launcher:
Error code 1.

I've deleted all of the executables and .dlls and had them redownloaded. No luck.

Fucking Ubisoft.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So which game is better, ACII or Brotherhood? Time is more of a factor than cost to me, so I'm only ever going to play one of these games.

gdt

Dr.Acula said:
So which game is better, ACII or Brotherhood? Time is more of a factor than cost to me, so I'm only ever going to play one of these games.

Bro is better...but it just builds on everything from ACII. Really, play them both! Can't play videogames when you die.

Dr.Acula said:

Yeah AC2 is more interesting story wise but Bro further improves upon the combat, and has the Colosseum, which is a neat set piece. Honestly though if your just jumping in I would go with Bro as it has the farthest advancements to the entire formula as a whole.

Squalltdx said:
Hmm, just remembered one thing I was a little worried about with AC2 was how well it would run on my PC. ( Core i3 540 @3.07Ghz, 6GB Ram, HD 4670 1GB ) I won't be playing at any really high res since I'm currently using an old crt monitor. Max would be 720p if I play on my hdtv.
I can't remember exactly what my settings were but I played AC2 on a 4670 512 RAM with a Phenom X2 3.1 ghz.

Pretty sure I was getting a stable 30ish at medium settings and at 1680x1050 resolution. Hope that helps.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
TheExodu5 said:
leng jai said:
What the fuck?

IT's like that in both Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. Ubisoft messed up and forgot to add the proper Wireless 360 controller API calls. They even said so on the Ubisoft forums. They also said they will never fix it (and they could have easily patched the fix in).

The wireless 360 controller is detected as a regular controller, so all the buttons are mapped incorrectly. That wouldn't be an issue, but every analog input on the controller (both triggers and bot analog sticks) don't work.

Wired 360 controllers work without a single hitch and, funny enough, if you plug a wired controller, the wireless one works properly.

TheExodu5 said:
AC2 was pretty terrible in terms of story. I wouldn't play these games for the story.

I enjoyed the death of his family and adoption and then building onto his villa storyline.

Pretty much everything that isn't the modern day over-arching bullshit is great.

leng jai

drizzle said:
IT's like that in both Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. Ubisoft messed up and forgot to add the proper Wireless 360 controller API calls. They even said so on the Ubisoft forums. They also said they will never fix it (and they could have easily patched the fix in).

The wireless 360 controller is detected as a regular controller, so all the buttons are mapped incorrectly. That wouldn't be an issue, but every analog input on the controller (both triggers and bot analog sticks) don't work.

Wired 360 controllers work without a single hitch and, funny enough, if you plug a wired controller, the wireless one works properly.

Well I'm not buying the game if they can't be fucked fixing it.

John

TheExodu5 said:
AC2 was pretty terrible in terms of story. I wouldn't play these games for the story.
i found the first game's story really engrossing actually. not because of 'the twist' or anything like that, but the parallels between the two settings, and the social and political musings between dr. evilpants and mr. imabartender were fun to listen to.

Blizzard

Banned
goldsoundz said:
Anyone with a quad core processor (i5 2500k) getting game crashes anytime you press ESC in AC2? Game is absolutely fucked.
TheExodu5 said:
I can't launch Brotherhood.

I've deleted all of the executables and .dlls and had them redownloaded. No luck.

Fucking Ubisoft.
Those games were pretty high profile I thought. It's kind of weird to see these issues come up. o_O If either of you figure anything out let us know, I'm interested if there are workarounds.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
Those games were pretty high profile I thought. It's kind of weird to see these issues come up. o_O If either of you figure anything out let us know, I'm interested if there are workarounds.

Had to delete the Program Files/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher folder, find the GameLauncherInstaller online, and then it worked. :|

apana

Strange, game seems to running incredibly smoothly for me. Hope I don't have to deal with any of this in the future. The one thing I'm concerned about is game saves, I think they are tied to your ubisoft account.

hamchan

Dr.Acula said:

Play AC2 first, even though Brotherhood has better gameplay.

Fredescu

iNvid02

download this and wireless 360 pad works fine on both 1 and 2
http://www.fileplanet.com/212510/210000/fileinfo/Wireless-Xbox360-fix-for-Assassin's-Creed-I-and-II

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
AC2 for $10!

I'd get it in a heartbeat, but I'm being reminded about that stupid internet DRM. Did they tone it down to just a connection when starting the game?

MightyKAC

Anyone know how well the Brotherhood Multiplayer community is? That's about the only thing that's keeping me grabbing it.

Edit: nvm I saw this was already answered and will prolly end up buying the game :)

Blizzard said:
I've tried everything I can think of: running my quad core on just two or one core, running one 560 Ti (I have them in SLI), trying various in-game graphics settings, shutting off background processes and Steam in-game community overlay, and more. I give up. About to write up a support ticket to Steam requesting a refund.

And for those of you with wireless 360 controllers, the hotfixes posted on this page both work without a hitch. I really was looking forward to playing AC2 as I loved AC Brotherhood and wanted to spend more time with the gameplay systems, setting, characters, music... you name it. I can't find any reports through Google that describe the problem I'm having. I've done all I can, or at least all I want to.

Kuran

Banned
Am I crazy for not going for the AC2 deal? The character design, presentation and voice acting just doesn't appeal to me at all. Haven't played any AC before due to there not being a demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom