• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Weenerz said:
Nah, no pop up blocker here on Firefox or IE (Use Chrome as my primary browser, installed FF just to try registering, so it doesn't have any add-ons.) I'll just wait a few hours and try again I guess.

That sucks. I had trouble with my ubi account and had to make a new one =\. My old one would just kick me out once I logged in.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Turns out i already have R6V:2 From a previous sale. Almost forgot about that but i'm sure i remember it being a bad version of the game?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Weenerz said:
Nah, no pop up blocker here on Firefox or IE (Use Chrome as my primary browser, installed FF just to try registering, so it doesn't have any add-ons.) I'll just wait a few hours and try again I guess.

Having the same issue here. Disappointing.

Also, boy is this game ugly as sin. The character model looks aight on the menu, but in-game, yikes. I gotta be missing something here. It's like all my video options are set to low as soon as I pop in game.

wienke said:
Wow RS:Lockdown has a horrible metacritic.

I'm guessing it's a huge mess and I'm not making a mistake by it being the only GR/RS/SC game that I'm passing on then?
It's the first step in a long decline for the series, though Vegas may be better, I dunno, never played Lockdown! At least Lockdown is in first person, I think. I read some reviews when it came out and tried the demo for Sum of All Fears and it turned out that its name was very fitting.
Pandoracell said:
Only bought Rainbow Six 3 this week.

I'm getting better at restraining my purchases, though it was made easier due to the fact that I already owned console versions of a lot of the games on sale this week.
The only sure way to protect yourself from Steam sales is to own all the games. Better make sure your friends own them as well as I ended up buying Raven Shield as a gift anyway. :p
Haha, it really is. When I first booted it up I was aghast. And I am not a graphics whore, I'm currently playing Gothic 1 and haven't thought twice about the graphics. Obviously technologically GRAW is ahead of it, but for some reason it's just really really ugly and looks like ass.
At least I've finally found a game that can take the ugly graphics crown from BlackSite, never thought I'd see the day!

Lime

is it possible to play Rainbow Six 3: Gold in Multiplayer? Thinking about gifting the game to some friends, so we can co-op.

cicero said:
Is Splinter Cell Conviction worth it? I keep on seeing widely varying reactions from the press and player comments. Also, is the Deluxe Edition of Splinter Cell Conviction worth the extra $1.70?

I bought it for a dollar and pretty much enjoyed it. I got within spitting distance of the end and quit. The super stealthy missions are amazing, but there are some that are more about shooting tons of enemies, and some that are Bourne-style chases which are both really bad. As far as the story and characters, it's a Tom Clancy video game.

Ledsen

CaptainAhab said:
I bought it for a dollar and pretty much enjoyed it. I got within spitting distance of the end and quit. The super stealthy missions are amazing, but there are some that are more about shooting tons of enemies, and some that are Bourne-style chases which are both really bad. As far as the story and characters, it's a Tom Clancy video game.

I'll link this again because I bet a lot of people, like you, only played the campaign:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428064

markot

Banned
cleveridea said:
I see just cause 2 is $5 on gamersgate

can you get the DLC for it or is it only available on steam? Want hoverrcaft!
steam only

The game requires steam though so you can buy it at gamersgate and still get the dlc cause you need to have steam to install the game >.<

markot

Banned
cleveridea said:
ah but you mentioned above its steamworks! Does that me when I buy it from gamersgate, it gets added to my steam list? And then I can buy the DLC from steam and it will work?
yea!

Lime said:
is it possible to play Rainbow Six 3: Gold in Multiplayer? Thinking about gifting the game to some friends, so we can co-op.
I think so, but I'm not sure (can't check right now). It may be the case that it requires some Ubisoft login, I can't remember. But LAN should work with just a cdkey.

oh man bully doesnt sound like a good port (from 1up review)

BTW is cheap on gamersgate

But maybe that isn't the fault of the developers. Bully's biggest problem is that it's a shoddy port job, rife with technical missteps that wouldn't warrant comment if they weren't so profoundly damaging to the game. Forget to enable vertical sync, and you can forget completing most classes: In some areas, the game runs at rocket speed, making timed button presses all but impossible. Turn the feature on, however, and prepare for framerate drops that make NASDAQ look stable. These problems, coupled with frequent crashes and a persistent drifting mouse bug (remember what used to happen when you'd hold down a control stick while booting up a game?) make just playing Bully a frustrating chore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cleveridea said:
oh man bully doesnt sound like a good port (from 1up review)

I would note that the 360, Wii, and PC ports all got some complaints, but AFAIK both the PC and 360 versions got significant patches to address the issues.

Nabs

PuppetSlave said:
intriguing... Does the pc game support a controller?

Thinking of outputting the PC game on the TV, playing with mouse/keyboard and letting a friend play with a controller. Let them suffer analog hell :p

Please don't tell me PC version does not have split screen...

Perfect 360 pad support, but er... about that last thing...

Nabs said:
Perfect 360 pad support, but er... about that last thing...

*cries silently*

On the plus side during my search on the net for that information I came across information that you can get valves whack a zombie game to play in split!

Baha

Stumpokapow said:
I would note that the 360, Wii, and PC ports all got some complaints, but AFAIK both the PC and 360 versions got significant patches to address the issues.

Yep, Bully on PC got one last major patch that fixed a RAM issue and improved streaming. It should be fine on Windows 7 64.

Kabouter

Lostconfused said:
Just as a reminder. Ubisoft games still have shitty ubisoft DRM in them that will ruin your day.
You know, I own a bunch of those games. Yet at no point have I experienced any problems with the DRM. So yeah, saying it will ruin your day is sort of ridiculous. It might.

Kabouter said:
You know, I own a bunch of those games. Yet at no point have I experienced any problems with the DRM. So yeah, saying it will ruin your day is sort of ridiculous. It might.
Ok fine it ruined my day. I had to spend an hour trying to get the damn thing to run. I hope you are happy.

coopolon

Lostconfused said:
Just as a reminder. Ubisoft games still have shitty ubisoft DRM in them that will ruin your day.

Are you referring to drm requiring an always on online connection or is there something else? For the former, at these prices I can live with it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kabouter said:
An additional comment to this:

I bought Settlers 7 last month. UbiSoft DRM and all that jazz, the game was an absolute shocker for Australians as far as I am aware. People couldn't connect to the server required to play game from this region for at least a month. I'm not one to stand by DRM, and my post history can attest to the qualified hatred for a large majority of UbiSoft's releases, but I've never had an issue with Settlers 7 since I bought it.

MRORANGE

some "news"

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/27/chris-taylor-steams-dominance-will-shift-in-the-next-five-years/

Chris Taylor: Steam’s dominance will ‘shift’ in the next five years

Chris designed two of the world’s cleverest strategy games: Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander. More recently, he and his company Gas Powered Games took over development of Age of Empires Online, a free-to-play version of the old classic. He thinks Steam’s dominance will shift before long.

PC Gamer: What do you think of Steam? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Digital distribution generally seems to be a good thing, but is it bad that Steam has something close to a monopoly?

Chris Taylor: I have games on Steam, I have an account, I buy games there. I have three different digital distribution platforms on my PC, it’s driven mostly from the game I want to play. If it’s on there, if it’s exclusive, it narrows the field. I actually don’t generally have to do a whole lot of soul-searching.

Your question though was what do I think of the fact that it’s taken a footing? It’s obviously extremely popular. Kudos go to the Valve guys for having the vision to build it. And they made a big bet – they made a big, scary bet, and they get rewarded for that.

Ask me the question about where they are in the market five years from now: I think it’s gonna shift. I think the playing field’s gonna level out. Because exclusive content drives it. I mean once upon a time we had a Sega console. There was a company called Atari that had a big market position. It changes and it shifts based on the way the company continues to evolve and interact with its customers, the service it delivers.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So what other DD platform is going to have exclusive content that will drive people away from Steam?

That content is going to have to be exclusive to that platform and that would mean the platform holder would have to develop it. Stardock games are exclusive to impulse. That's about the only thing I can think of. I guess CDProjekt can make the next witcher exclusive to GOG but I don't see it happening either.

Even microsoft who arguably has the best exclusives completely failed with GFW.

markot

Banned
Pretty stupid comment >.>

No publisher can get away with a big dd store, competition wont like selling their stuff on a competitors service.

And Gamestops Impulse... well it seems store exclusives are limited to the awfullness that is pre order bonuses and shit....

hamchan

Htown said:
So what other DD platform is going to have exclusive content that will drive people away from Steam?

The only decent competition I can see against Steam in the future is if (when) Activision opens up Battle.net to 3rd parties. So it'll be pretty much Valve games on one DD service, Activision Blizzard on the other.

hamchan said:
The only decent competition I can see against Steam in the future is if (when) Activision opens up Battle.net to 3rd parties. So it'll be pretty much Valve games on one DD service, Activision Blizzard on the other.
The thing about Blizzard games is that people still go to the store to by those.

markot

Banned
Except I dont see EA, Ubisoft or THQ, or any publisher willing to line the pockets of another publisher by supporting their store >.<

iNvid02

all the big publishers will have their own stores etc, why give steam 30% when their own platforms will be "good enough"

markot

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
all the big publishers will have their own stores etc, why give steam 30% when their own platforms will be "good enough"
Because its hugely popular and has the biggest chunk of market share. And Valve is independent.

Do record companies ignore itunes because they offer their own alternatives? Would they be so friendly if apple was in the music business outside of sales?

hamchan

Lostconfused said:
The thing about Blizzard games is that people still go to the store to by those.

Well isn't the Blizzard store already 2nd or 3rd in terms of DD revenue? Adding third party games seems like a smart and logical move to me. Also they can force you to use a client for future Blizzard games and have a store one button click away, just like Steam does.

Wait, I forgot all our Blizzard games are already tied to our Battle.net accounts anyways, even retail bought copies ><. So it would be quite easy for Battle.net to open up their store at any time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
iNvidious01 said:

Well, you're correct that this is how they think; hence why Hulu was created instead of just leveraging Youtube or Netflix. But I think in the long term the public will reward a system that doesn't require everyone to have 25 accounts at 25 different stores and check all 25 for 25 different deals.

iNvid02

markot said:
Because its hugely popular and has the biggest chunk of market share. And Valve is independent.

Do record companies ignore itunes because they offer their own alternatives? Would they be so friendly if apple was in the music business outside of sales?

it wont happen anytime soon because of steam market share, but once everything goes digital (which is a long way away) i think all the major players will have their own distribution platform but some might choose to support steam.

ea already has eastore/eadm, ubi has their online store and when the only place to get their games is through their platform consumers will have no choice.

Detox

hamchan said:
Well isn't the Blizzard store already 2nd or 3rd in terms of DD revenue? Adding third party games seems like a smart and logical move to me. Also they can force you to use a client for future Blizzard games and have a store one button click away, just like Steam does.
If they are already in the top 3 they could be number 1 even before they open up to 3rd parties. Blizzard's games, COD and the 'next big thing' from Bungie would probably be enough or get them very close.

hamchan

Detox said:
If they are already in the top 3 they could be number 1 even before they open up to 3rd parties. Blizzard's games, COD and the 'next big thing' from Bungie would probably be enough or get them very close.

Maybe. Steam is like 70% or 80% market share, something ridiculous like that. Battle.net store would definitely be a very safe no.2 though and would steal some market share from Steam. Then we can see some real competition for Steam!

Lime

hamchan said:
Maybe. Steam is like 70% or 80% market share, something ridiculous like that. Battle.net store would definitely be a very safe no.2 though and would steal some market share from Steam. Then we can see some real competition for Steam!

I'd rather have someone else than Activision raking in all the digital revenue.

1-D_FTW

cleveridea said:
awesome thanks, so glad I waited for a sale

next up bully. does that run good on pc? and windows 7?

Stumpokapow said:

I can confirm this. I played it on Windows 7 - 64bit earlier this year and played it to completion without a single technical glitch. Ran perfect in fact.

sk3tch

I am having such a hard time resisting The Witcher 2. Do you guys think it will have some kind of discount in the Summer sale? I doubt it will be 50% but maybe 33%?

Just a few weeks to wait... :-/

sk3tch said:
I am having such a hard time resisting The Witcher 2. Do you guys think it will have some kind of discount in the Summer sale? I doubt it will be 50% but maybe 33%?

Just a few weeks to wait... :-/

I don't think it will, not that soon. Besides there is zero shame in supporting it at full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom