• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

cleveridea said:
oh man bully doesnt sound like a good port (from 1up review)
This has already been commented on but I just wanted to add confirmation that the PC version of Bully was patched and is now pretty much flawless, even on Win7 64-bit. Looks far nicer than the other versions, works perfectly with the 360 controller (changes the keyboard prompts to the proper controller prompts, too), and at the end of the day the original PS2 game was one of the best games ever in the genre. The only downside is that the PC version is locked to 30fps like the console versions, usually doesn't bother me if I'm playing with a gamepad but of course YMMV.

Lime

sk3tch said:
I am having such a hard time resisting The Witcher 2. Do you guys think it will have some kind of discount in the Summer sale? I doubt it will be 50% but maybe 33%?

Just a few weeks to wait... :-/

At best, GoG will have a sale in the Fall, while Steam will have one during the Christmas sale. You'd better off buying it and playing it now, because it's a really good game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Can you get around the 30fps lock by disabling vsync and using d3d overrider? I wonder if any of the timing in the game is in synch with the framerate...

stuminus3

TheExodu5 said:
Can you get around the 30fps lock by disabling vsync and using d3d overrider? I wonder if any of the timing in the game is in synch with the framerate...
Nope, that's how I do it, still 30fps.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Don't forget that there is also a fix so you can get 60 fps on Bully PC too (it's normally locked at 30).

wilflare said:
I ought to get it now at this price right?
the DLCs can wait?
snookiicus.gif

PaulLFC

Does anyone know what the filename of the Configuration utility for Chaos Theory is? The readme says it can be accessed through the start menu, but I don't have start menu shortcuts enabled for Chaos Theory.

Salsa

Battle.net aint opening for third parties anytime soon.

They could have done this a while back and they havent, Steam is just way too big for anyone to "compete" with.

And even if it does, it aint gonna be popular. Starcraft 2 is still 60 bucks as far as i know, if that was on steam, it woud be like 20 bucks by now. They are not too big on sales, and that's what drives the big market share steam has.

I see it the other way around completely.

Bethesda, Id, fuckin two Call of Duty titles.. i see a future where pretty much every PC game is steamworks, with a couple of exceptions, but they aint going to sell as well.

Compare people that own something with steam cheerios and cloud saving (like any Valve title) and say.. Prince of Persia 2008, wich doesnt offer any kind of steam compatibility and doesnt even track your gameplay, or lets you use the steam overlay. Look anywhere and these are factors wich people take into account when buying a game. They might just not buy it. Steamworks features are a demand now, and that demand is only going to grow, and devs are going to listen. Could this shift in the future? sure. In 5 years? i dont see it. Steam is moving amazingly fast and it continues to grow every day, gonna be a while before it even slows down a bit.

Steam "saved" PC gaming to big developers who didnt give a damn. Why ignore the fact that its the platform where the games sell best? they're not gonna take a gamble. They cant afford to.

SalsaShark said:
Battle.net aint opening for third parties anytime soon.

They could have done this a while back and they havent, Steam is just way too big for anyone to "compete" with.

And even if it does, it aint gonna be popular. Starcraft 2 is still 60 bucks as far as i know, if that was on steam, it woud be like 20 bucks by now. They are not too big on sales, and that's what drives the big market share steam has.

I see it the other way around completely.

Bethesda, Id, fuckin two Call of Duty titles.. i see a future where pretty much every PC game is steamworks, with a couple of exceptions, but they aint going to sell as well.

Compare people that own something with steam cheerios and cloud saving (like any Valve title) and say.. Prince of Persia 2008, wich doesnt offer any kind of steam compatibility and doesnt even track your gameplay, or lets you use the steam overlay. Look anywhere and these are factors wich people take into account when buying a game. They might just not buy it. Steamworks features are a demand now, and that demand is only going to grow, and devs are going to listen. Could this shift in the future? sure. In 5 years? i dont see it. Steam is moving amazingly fast and it continues to grow every day, gonna be a while before it even slows down a bit.

Steam "saved" PC gaming to big developers who didnt give a damn. Why ignore the fact that its the platform where the games sell best? they're not gonna take a gamble. They cant afford to.

COD franchise WILL go to Battlenet in the next couple years.

Quake1028

stuminus3 said:
This has already been commented on but I just wanted to add confirmation that the PC version of Bully was patched and is now pretty much flawless, even on Win7 64-bit. Looks far nicer than the other versions, works perfectly with the 360 controller (changes the keyboard prompts to the proper controller prompts, too), and at the end of the day the original PS2 game was one of the best games ever in the genre. The only downside is that the PC version is locked to 30fps like the console versions, usually doesn't bother me if I'm playing with a gamepad but of course YMMV.

http://bully-board.com/index.php?topic=13762.0

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
The thought that someone might actually not buy a game because Steam doesn't track the time played made me vomit in my mouth a bit.

hey, it happens. People are OCD, they're aware of that.

LovingSteam said:
COD franchise WILL go to Battlenet in the next couple years.

I dont know man, i would have said this before i saw MW2 and BLOPS being steamworks titles. Now i just dont think so.

SalsaShark said:
hey, it happens. People are OCD, they're aware of that.

I dont know man, i would have said this before i saw MW2 and BLOPS being steamworks titles. Now i just dont think so.

Sure but for whatever reason Battlenet wasn't ready to handle non Blizzard games yet. Whether it was the infrastructure or Blizzard signing off on it, who knows. It simply doesn't make sense NOT to have them be exclusive. Unlike EA and Ubisoft, Battlenet is an already established infrastructure and the store is used by MILLIONS due to Blizzard games. As others have said, Battlenet is the only other service I'd use. And unlike EA, and even Valve, Blizzard customer service is TOP notch when trying to rectify an issue with one's account.

Salsa

I also take into account the fact that Blizzard and Valve really like each other. I know this doesnt mean crap when it comes to money, but i think they have a good situation going on with revenues and all. And considering they're ok with the DOTA thing, i really dont see any other time to take advantage of making their own store. I dont think the Activision part of Blizzard cares that much about the PC platform to make this happen either.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
SalsaShark said:

Yeah I think it would make sense that since the CoD games use steamworks, I would imagine Valve's "cut" from each CoD sale is probably lower than for games that are not steamworks.

I think it's safe to assume that Valve's share is significantly lower than regular retail regardless, so I don't think Steam is viewed as a major evil.

That's all conjecture though. Take it for what you will.

Salsa

LovingSteam said:
Sure but for whatever reason Battlenet wasn't ready to handle non Blizzard games yet. Whether it was the infrastructure or Blizzard signing off on it, who knows. It simply doesn't make sense NOT to have them be exclusive. Unlike EA and Ubisoft, Battlenet is an already established infrastructure and the store is used by MILLIONS due to Blizzard games. As others have said, Battlenet is the only other service I'd use. And unlike EA, and even Valve, Blizzard customer service is TOP notch when trying to rectify an issue with one's account.

would you buy games on your already existent Battle.net account rather than on Steam?

SalsaShark said:
I also take into account the fact that Blizzard and Valve really like each other. I know this doesnt mean crap when it comes to money, but i think they have a good situation going on with revenues and all. And considering they're ok with the DOTA thing, i really dont see any other time to take advantage of making their own store. I dont think the Activision part of Blizzard cares that much about the PC platform to make this happen either.

Well that isn't exactly true...

SalsaShark said:
would you buy games on your already existent Battle.net account rather than on Steam?

Nope. I'd only buy Blizzard games and the Bungie game if its exclusive to BNet. For any other game that appeared on both services, well, it wouldn't even be a question.

szaromir said:
I'm replaying Ghost Recon 1. Buy it people, if you haven't already. The game's so good, I still even like its visuals.
Yeah, even though you don't have guns on-screen it's super satisfying to get kills in that game. Also setting up ambushes and yumyumyum!

And it looks better than GRAW no question about it!

kamspy

Man. If someone wants to gift me the Ghost Recon Pack and R6V1, I'll happily pay them back with the internet currency of their choice in a couple days (with interest).

SalsaShark said:
Forgot about that. Guess it depends on who you ask inside Blizzard.

precisely! :p

I don't know if Activision would be looking to compete with Valve and Steam with BNet but instead have their own big franchises be exclusive. Now do I see another service truly competing with Steam in the near future? Only if Valve starts screwing up and doing things that turns off the customer. Outside of that I don't see how it happens. Developers love Steamworks because of what it offers and what it DOESN'T cost and that has been one of the biggest keys to grow Steam. I don't see GS being able to have that pull.

Salsa

LovingSteam said:
I don't know if Activision would be looking to compete with Valve and Steam with BNet but instead have their own big franchises be exclusive. Now do I see another service truly competing with Steam in the near future? Only if Valve starts screwing up and doing things that turns off the customer. Outside of that I don't see how it happens. Developers love Steamworks because of what it offers and what it DOESN'T cost and that has been one of the biggest keys to grow Steam. I don't see GS being able to have that pull.

Activision could start selling their own games exclusively on battle.net, sure, but they already put the biggest videogame franchise ever on Steam. Shifting to another service could cost a community split, and i dont think they even wanna bother with that. Between console sales and PC revenue, i think they fill even their most greedy desires :p

hamchan

Should also be noted Starcraft 2 is still $60 because it still sells, and is no indication of how the eventual battlenet store will treat prices or sales. Blizzard titles are evergreen, just like Nintendo titles. I expect a price reduction when the expansion comes out anyways.

ugh hawx 2 error code 1, wont launch

googled and found something that said to install some ubisoft game laucher (DRM probably) that cannot be uninstalled or removed

coopolon

I hope more companies take EA's strategy of having their own digital platform that is pretty good, ableit no Steam, but also providing their games on Steam. Since they want to share as little money with Steam as possible they'll always offer better and earlier sales on their own platforms, but they'll still offer sales on Steam as well for people who really don't want to go anywhere else.

SalsaShark said:

CODBLOPS is still $60 on Steam and still sells well enough. Just because you on Steam doesn't mean you have to do crazy sales. Activision continually defies the sale spirit of Steam.

hamchan

Also while most of us current Steam users probably won't buy stuff on battlenet the potential market is way bigger than just us. I reckon Blizzard games are way more popular than Valve games to the mainstream audience and Asia, both potentially huge markets.

Salsa

hamchan said:
Should also be noted Starcraft 2 is still $60 because it still sells, and is no indication of how the eventual battlenet store will treat prices or sales. Blizzard titles are evergreen, just like Nintendo titles. I expect a price reduction when the expansion comes out anyways.

coopolon said:
CODBLOPS is still $60 on Steam and still sells well enough. Just because you on Steam doesn't mean you have to do crazy sales. Activision continually defies the sale spirit of Steam.

True enough, but none of this guarantees people will shift to another service.

What guarantees that battle.net would be better than Steam if they sell their games at the same price in both stores?

It would take a lot of work to make people look elsewhere. I just dont think they're gonna bother, that's all.

Pretty much everyone on battle.net has a steam account (well, outside Korea i guess), and im sure they'd love to have everything on one service. That service being Steam. Since it would be much easier to transfer one Blizzard game to that account. Hell, im pretty sure most of you guys launch Starcraft II from Steam as a non-steam title. That should tell you enough.

The only other future that comes to mind is.. well.. what's already happening. Companies having their own stores, most times with even better deals (like say, Telltale), while at the same time offering the games on Steam with occasional sales.

Again, im pretty confident in that most people have their telltale games on Steam, even with lower prices on Telltale's own store.

Does it suck for devs who rather get all of the money percentage from their own stores? sure, but its still better than retail.

Then again, if the game's good enough and accesible enough, it doesnt need Steam by any means. Look at Minecraft.

1-D_FTW

coopolon said:
I hope more companies take EA's strategy of having their own digital platform that is pretty good, ableit no Steam, but also providing their games on Steam. Since they want to share as little money with Steam as possible they'll always offer better and earlier sales on their own platforms, but they'll still offer sales on Steam as well for people who really don't want to go anywhere else.

And I hope to heck they don't. EA's community platform sucks. I could care less if it's more profitable for them (debatable since nobody has numbers), because as a gamer, it sucks compared to Steamworks. If they wanna raise the bar and not suck so horribly, I've got no problem with it. But if you're gonna do something, EA, do it right. Quit half-assing it so badly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
The thought that someone might actually not buy a game because Steam doesn't track the time played made me vomit in my mouth a bit.
It really does bug me how a few Sega games do this though. I want it to say I played Outrun for 20 games.

Okay, so Splinter Cell Double Agent doesn't want to work on my dual monitor setup. It keeps on trying to display on my primary monitor but instead just flashes constantly, while the UbiSoft logo music plays very stuttered in the background. This takes me more than a minute to get by, then it crashes. Nothing I have done can fix it. I disabled my second monitor, and it worked, but I can only get 720p to work, when I need 1080p for this monitor. I thought that upping the rez would get it working with the dual monitor situation, but it's doing the same thing as before now.

Salsa

SonofdonCD said:
Okay, so Splinter Cell Double Agent doesn't want to work on my dual monitor setup. It keeps on trying to display on my primary monitor but instead just flashes constantly, while the UbiSoft logo music plays very stuttered in the background. This takes me more than a minute to get by, then it crashes. Nothing I have done can fix it. I disabled my second monitor, and it worked, but I can only get 720p to work, when I need 1080p for this monitor. I thought that upping the rez would get it working with the dual monitor situation, but it's doing the same thing as before now.

Same thing happens to me with Killing Floor. I just play windowed.

Joe Molotov

Stallion Free said:

Exactly, they should still buy the game, just not ever play it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Are both those Ghost Recon expansions really good?

Tropic Thunder?! Oh, Island Thunder...

Relax.MX

SalsaShark said:
Same thing happens to me with Killing Floor. I just play windowed.

That happened to me, but simply change the language to English and it worked (in Spanish does not work well)...

Try...maybe is the same problem

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
coopolon said:

This is not the whole story.

- EA Create is still not on Steam
- The Sims 3 came, what, two years late and at > MSRP pricing.
- Dragon Age II pre-orders got screwed with.
- DRM ranging from taking ridiculous DRM on the non-Steam versions and keeping it in the Steam version, to having more DRM on the Steam edition than other editions.

EA having their own digital platform has resulted in them taking actions that are directly hostile to Steam. They may tolerate Steam, but they certainly don't treat it as a first-class platform.

If Ubisoft ever launches the uPlay Store, I suspect the same thing will be true with their offerings as well.

Salsa

Ubi already screws with Steam for some reason though. Be it stupid DRM or the no overlay/gameplay tracking issue i mentioned before. Happens in POP 2008, the older rainbow six games, Vegas 1..

Happens because the games have their own launchers and updaters, and steam recognizes these as the actual games, so it tracks your time on the launcher.

And they said they were going to fix it.. 2 years ago.

I guess they're trolling on purpose.

what happened to steam Dragon Age 2 pre-orders btw?

Jin34

So I'm trying to buy Hawx but steam asked me to put my credit card info again for some reason and I get an error message when hitting continue.

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jin34 said:
So I'm trying to buy Hawx but steam asked me to put my credit card info again for some reason and I get an error message when hitting continue.

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance"
Sometimes happens, try again or just buy it in the web version of steam.

Jin34 said:

I had to hit F5 and that worked when I bought Hunted preorder

Joe Molotov

SalsaShark said:
what happened to steam Dragon Age 2 pre-orders btw?

They gave away a bunch of DLC if you preordered anywhere before a certain date, then made DA2 available for preorder on Steam two days AFTER that date.

There was also the incident where they directly stated that Hot Pursuit would not be available on Steam, then a month after it came out, put it on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom