• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Joe Molotov said:
They gave away a bunch of DLC if you preordered anywhere before a certain date, then made DA2 available for preorder like two days after that date.

hahahahhaha

shit

im thinking they're gonna pull the same thing on Battlefield 3 pre-orders..

hamchan

SalsaShark said:
True enough, but none of this guarantees people will shift to another service.

What guarantees that battle.net would be better than Steam if they sell their games at the same price in both stores?

It would take a lot of work to make people look elsewhere. I just dont think they're gonna bother, that's all.

Pretty much everyone on battle.net has a steam account (well, outside Korea i guess), and im sure they'd love to have everything on one service. That service being Steam. Since it would be much easier to transfer one Blizzard game to that account. Hell, im pretty sure most of you guys launch Starcraft II from Steam as a non-steam title. That should tell you enough.

The only other future that comes to mind is.. well.. what's already happening. Companies having their own stores, most times with even better deals (like say, Telltale), while at the same time offering the games on Steam with occasional sales.

Again, im pretty confident in that most people have their telltale games on Steam, even with lower prices on Telltale's own store.

Does it suck for devs who rather get all of the money percentage from their own stores? sure, but its still better than retail.

Then again, if the game's good enough and accesible enough, it doesnt need Steam by any means. Look at Minecraft.
I do indeed launch SC2 through Steam lol. Nothing guarantees Battlenet will be better than Steam if the prices are the same on both stores and so people won't use it. That's exactly why the prices won't be the same if a bnet store launches. Activision can be aggressive in multiple ways. It's well known that Steam is one of the worst stores to buy a game new in terms of pricing, so they can copy D2Ds current method of undercutting Steam new releases or giving bonuses like 10% coupons etc. They can reduce the prices of their own Blizzard games to attract customers to the stores like how Valve goes crazy with their own games. They can force consumers to use a client for Blizzard games just like Steam. The very nature of competition would force them to be aggresive in both pricing and service.

In terms of work, yes, it would be a large amount of work. However friends lists are already there through WoW and SC2. In game stats and profiles are already there. The whole community is already there. That's probably the hardest part and they've already got it.

Salsa

hamchan said:
In terms of work, yes, it would be a large amount of work. However friends lists are already there through WoW and SC2. In game stats and profiles are already there. The whole community is already there. That's probably the hardest part and they've already got it.

Well, to be fair, this is also true with NFS autolog, EA's ridiculous thing for Dead Space 2, etc..

Battle.net has a peculiar in-game system and it just works that way, dunno how well it would translate into a store, considering most of the features Blizzard-games provide wouldnt be available for third parties. This isnt true with steam, many games have as many benefits as Valve games, because the system is open like that. Blizzard's thing is pretty much narrowed to specific games.

That said, if a blizzard store means lowering the prices for stuff like Starcraft II and eventually Diablo 3, im all for it :p

Smokey

markot said:
steam only

The game requires steam though so you can buy it at gamersgate and still get the dlc cause you need to have steam to install the game >.<

So I just bought Just Cause 2 from GG for $5...and right now it's downloading from what looks like their launcher? So when it's finished it will look for Steam to launch?

Salsa

Smokey said:
So I just bought Just Cause 2 from GG for $5...and right now it's downloading from what looks like their launcher? So when it's finished it will look for Steam to launch?

cancel that

just click on "show key" and use that key to redeem it on steam.

Games - Activate a product on Steam - enter the key = done!

TheExodu5

Banned
cleveridea said:
ugh hawx 2 error code 1, wont launch

googled and found something that said to install some ubisoft game laucher (DRM probably) that cannot be uninstalled or removed

Yeah, had the same problem with Brotherhood. Go to Program Files and delete the Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher folder. Then get the installer off the net and install it again.

Ridiculous that we should have to do this because of shitty DRM.

Smokey

SalsaShark said:
cancel that

just click on "show key" and use that key to redeem it on steam.

Games - Activate a product on Steam - enter the key = done!

Sweet

Thanks Salsa. Pretty sure I'm done now. I have enough shit to last for weeks.

My wireless 360 controller doesn't seem to be working with Vegas 2 since it won't let me change the control scheme to it. The pad works fine in other games, but I just don't know why it won't work here.

Mafro

Lime said:
is it possible to play Rainbow Six 3: Gold in Multiplayer? Thinking about gifting the game to some friends, so we can co-op.
Yeah it works fine. You need a Ubisoft account to log in with, though.

PaulLFC

Repost for new page, sorry, but does anyone know where the Chaos Theory Configuration utility's located? The readme says to go through the start menu, but as I didn't add Chaos Theory to the start menu... yeah.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
chixdiggit said:
Anyone interested in going in on Frozen Synapse? I'll buy the pack of two and in return you gift me Terraria? PM me if interested.
I think Salsa is willing to take the extra copy of Synapse for free from you if you like.

Carm

coopolon said:
I hope more companies take EA's strategy of having their own digital platform that is pretty good, ableit no Steam, but also providing their games on Steam. Since they want to share as little money with Steam as possible they'll always offer better and earlier sales on their own platforms, but they'll still offer sales on Steam as well for people who really don't want to go anywhere else.

CODBLOPS is still $60 on Steam and still sells well enough. Just because you on Steam doesn't mean you have to do crazy sales. Activision continually defies the sale spirit of Steam.

NO NO NO NO NO

The Sims Medieval

Release date March 22nd, 2011 (EA Store,retail etc)

Steam release date May 27th, 2011

Either EA is completely incompetent, which wouldn't be a stretch, or they are hostile to PC gamers that use Steam. Patches are always late for Steam versions of their games. Currently we are awaiting a *promised* patch for Hot Pursuit for the Steam version, which might not ever see the light of day, leaving the game unpatched.

Now with the upcoming Alice: The Madness Returns, a franchise that started on the pc, comes with the original updated. Of course, the only way to get it currently, which hopefully changes, but probably won't, is through EAs store.

EA intentionally holds back releases on Steam to try and get impatient gamers to use their shitty store.

DLC, when they bother to even bring it to the PC, it's 50/50 if the Steam version will be supported (Mirror's Edge).

I do buy EA titles on Steam, but will never pay more than $10(DRM) and $15(no DRM).

Publisher only digital stores are and should be the enemy of any PC gamer. If not treated as such, you're gonna have 15+ log ins just to play your game collection. Yes, eventually it may be on a digital service not ran by the publisher, but it will be 50/50 if it's fully supported.

So are your digital purchases through their eShop a one time thing? I mean why else would you have to pay 4$ to be able to re-download your game for up to 18 months after your purchase.

lol @ Impulse. God I cannot stand Brad Wardell. Douchebag in the truest sense of the word. He couldn't care less about gamers as evidence by selling Impulse to GS. There are a lot of assholes in the industry but this guy ranks at the top.

iNvid02

all these services just give you download links or a download manager and tell you to be on your way. you have to install yourself, and visit the site to see anything else. its all browser based which is why i think its failing.

steam has done it right, and eadm is pretty close too. they should release a desktop app or something

Salsa

The Broken Ska Record said:
I find it slightly ironic that Impulse sells games that must be activated on Steam. :lol

This happens with every other web-based service.

Gamersgate and D2D were against it at first, saying Steam was just a "fad".

Now they sell tons of steamworks titles.

Ha.

Exuro

SalsaShark said:
This happens with every other web-based service.

Gamersgate and D2D were against it at first, saying Steam was just a "fad".

Now they sell tons of steamworks titles.

Ha.
Yeah then they realized they could get "Steam only" user's money with Steamworks titles. Most Steamworks games I've bought now a days are from D2D.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doing a little wishlist spring cleaning, and looking for recommendations on the following:

- I like but don't love Geometry Wars on 360. Is there any conceivable reason I should buy it on PC? Between Bullet Candy and Geometry Wars, which is the better game on PC?
- I never managed to play SiN Episodes: Emergence. I realize that it ends on a cliffhanger and it will never be followed up. With that in mind, is it worth my time?
- Is Professor FizzWizzle any good?
- If you are a fan of Bookworm Adventures vol. 1, does Bookworm Adventures vol. 2 add anything?
- How janky is Garshasp: The Monster Slayer?
- Did AlternativA end up being any good?
- If you are a fan of rough-around the edges ridiculous sim games, are either Destruction Company or Dive to the Titanic any good? (SmokyDave, I'm looking at you!)
- Dead Space 2; PC versus Console, I own both consoles.
- DarkSpore released and I don't think it even got a GAF thread. So, uh, is it shitty?

Blizzard

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
- I never managed to play SiN Episodes: Emergence. I realize that it ends on a cliffhanger and it will never be followed up. With that in mind, is it worth my time?
I don't think I ever finished it or the original SiN (in the original I might have gotten stuck in some lab somewhere). I thought they both seemed like relatively fun cheesy games in the vein of PC musclehead shooters who say cheesy lines.

If you like Source games with bizarre cutscenes featuring a large-breasted enemy with a tiny bikini, I think SiN Episodes: Emergence had one of those, so maybe that's a point in its favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom