• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

snack

MRORANGE said:
thanks dude, still the same code so it didn't work I'm afraid, nvm just gonna buy it on steam.
Do you live outside of North America? That may be why. I just checked the code a few seconds ago and it's working fine.

Polk

jaundicejuice said:
Apparently Red Faction's got issues with modern gpu's, as in it won't run at all, but it looks like there's a fan made patch. I'm going to give it a shot.
I think Pure Faction works flawlessly with new GPUs, but I don't know if it works with steam version.

LastWindow said:
Oh, okay. When will I get the first two Red Faction games?

If you've pre-ordered Armageddon already and don't see the first two games in your collection, simply re-start your Steam client. You'll get a notice that the first two Red factions have been added to your collection.

Polk said:
I think Pure Faction works flawlessly with new GPUs, but I don't know if it works with steam version.

It does, in so far as I can get the game to run with the Pure Faction patch. But it's in 4:3 which is driving me batty.

jaundicejuice said:
If you've pre-ordered Armageddon already and don't see the first two games in your collection, simply re-start your Steam client. You'll get a notice that the first two Red factions have been added to your collection.

And there they are. Thanks!

I re-ran the pure faction patch and was able to get the game to run in 1920x1200 but the hud was screwy and the game crashed early in on the tutorial.

I think the problem was I hadn't closed the launchers default settings window when I ran the pure faction patch.

MRORANGE

snack said:
Do you live outside of North America? That may be why. I just checked the code a few seconds ago and it's working fine.

in the UK I'm afraid..... I hate this small tiny island. just bought it on steam at the end.

Yeah, the HUD is screwed (looks similar to this) and there's no visible text for instructions from characters. The text was displayed in 4:3. The game crashes at the exact same spot in the training mode just before the second door every time.

I tried verifying the integrity of my local cache but I still have the screwed up HUD and the game crashes consistently at the same location. Perhaps I buggered the whole process by using the launchers settings before applying the pure faction patch.

Edit: Yeah I keep crashing early in the single player campaign too. I'm going to un- and re-install Red Faction. I'm not going to touch the Red Faction launcher settings options at all and just use the pure factions patch settings. We'll see if that corrects the HUD and crash issues.

Xamdou

Dled BLOPs, but why are the movement controls messed up? The first game I played I pressed forward (W) and my character moved forward automatically non-stop. Quit the match checked the controls, looked fine. Joined another game and the movement controls don't work at all.

LegoDad

I already own Red Faction 1 on PS2, Red Faction 2 on PS2 and Red Faction Guerrilla on PS3... idk if i should pick them up on PC...

vocab

Xamdou said:
Dled BLOPs, but why are the movement controls messed up? The first game I played I pressed forward (W) and my character moved forward automatically non-stop. Quit the match checked the controls, looked fine. Joined another game and the movement controls don't work at all.

No COD game has that feature. It would be incredibly broken to play.

Salsa

BLOPS seems to have some stuttering issues here and there

i appreciate how fast-paced it is

but im never paying 40 bucks for it

got the "you dotn have this map, you can buy it blabla" message like 10 times, laughable

no near servers as well, plays good enough with high ping though, kinda

vazel

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Yeah, the HUD is screwed (looks similar to this) and there's no visible text for instructions from characters. The text was displayed in 4:3. The game crashes at the exact same spot in the training mode just before the second door every time.

I tried verifying the integrity of my local cache but I still have the screwed up HUD and the game crashes consistently at the same location. Perhaps I buggered the whole process by using the launchers settings before applying the pure faction patch.

Edit: Yeah I keep crashing early in the single player campaign too. I'm going to un- and re-install Red Faction. I'm not going to touch the Red Faction launcher settings options at all and just use the pure factions patch settings. We'll see if that corrects the HUD and crash issues.
The Pure Faction patch is working fine for me. I made it through tutorial and am now playing campaign. There was no visible text when I was getting instructions in the tutorial but they were voice acted and you can access the log by pressing m so that wasn't a problem.

Feels so good to play an old school FPS complete with fast movement and floaty jumps and no head/weapon bobbing.

I just re-installed the game and re-ran the pure faction patch. I'll try running it again once the CD Projekt/GoG USTream is over. I want this game to run, it looks damned good for being a decade old.

Oh. I have VVVVVV impressions now after buying it on the daily deal.

It's an interesting little game, but it's not really a favorite genre of mine. I wish there were more settings (to lower music volume, e.g.) but I can't seem to find them if they exist. Definitely not a bad deal for $2.50, but having experienced it now for about an hour, I wouldn't have paid more than that.

HERP.

I'm an ass. I wasn't using the launch game option in the pure faction launcher since. I thought that was strictly for launching the pure faction improved multiplayer since it's in the multiplayer tab. I would set the settings in the pf launcher, close the pf launcher and then launch the game with the rf launcher. In the pf launched Red Faction, there's no text displayed on screen when someone is talking but that text shows up in your log, the hud works, I can play the game in my monitor's native resolution and it doesn't crash. Can't use the Steam overlay at all though and it doesn't track my playtime at all. Looking at my Red Faction directory it's not surprising why that's the case.

It would be nice if Valve/Steam, THQ or Volition bothered to ensure that these older games ran on newer systems, or at the very least integrated the community made patches that are out if they couldn't be bothered to do the work themselves. But I guess that's what GoG is for.

Is that John DiMaggio voicing the Ultor Corporation guards?

This sale reminded me I should play RF2. I loved RF back on the PS2, but I played the demo of 2 and it just felt too different. I should give it a chance one day.

Red Faction is one of the most underrated FPS of last gen, I think. Damn fun game.

drizzle said:
Duke Nukem Forever is IP Restricted on Direct2Drive for me. Does anybody know if using a VPN I'll be able to buy it? Will it accept payments from International Paypal Accounts or International CCs, if it thinks my account is from the US?

Same goes for Europe and 40k: Space Marine btw. I think Deus Ex as well.

Man, I kinda want a couple of the Red Faction games but I'm still holding out on THQ in hopes of seeing the return of the ~$60 THQ complete bundle. There's just so damned many THQ games I kinda want, I don't want to buy a handful and then have them all go on sale for an irresistible price.

If it doesn't make an appearance during the summer sale, I may have to break down and just start buying singles as they go on sale.

BioHazard

MacGurcules said:
Man, I kinda want a couple of the Red Faction games but I'm still holding out on THQ in hopes of seeing the return of the ~$60 THQ complete bundle. There's just so damned many THQ games I kinda want, I don't want to buy a handful and then have them all go on sale for an irresistible price.

If it doesn't make an appearance during the summer sale, I may have to break down and just start buying singles as they go on sale.

This is my plan, I may have a ton of games, but hardly any are THQ, I'm waiting for the complete bundle (should go on sale this summer). I'm doing the same thing for Paradox and PopCap games lmao

Kritz

Banned
Lol, $60usd for CodBLOPS on special. I check the US store, $40usd.

I don't have any love left for Call of Duty, so I'm glad they didn't bother pricing this sale anywhere close to my impulse purchase price. At the least I find it amusing that Activision's "sale" price for Australia is 30 cents higher than America's at-launch retail price.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Guys, here's the strange graphical issue I'm encountering with Hitman: Blood Money:

hitman1.png

That's what it looks like in-game. You can't see shit.

hitman2.png

When I bring up the options menu, you can see where the character is supposed to be, but even then the game has zero color.

Anyone know wtf is going on?

Shaneus

MrOogieBoogie said:
Guys, here's the strange graphical issue I'm encountering with Hitman: Blood Money:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Linkovich/hitman1.png[IMG]

That's what it looks like in-game. You can't see shit.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Linkovich/hitman2.png[IMG]

When I bring up the options menu, you can see where the character is supposed to be, but even then the game has zero color.

Anyone know wtf is going on?[/QUOTE]
I had almost exactly the same problem in the first Kane and Lynch. Never fixed it. Currently running dual 5850s.

MrOogieBoogie

Shaneus said:
I had almost exactly the same problem in the first Kane and Lynch. Never fixed it. Currently running dual 5850s.

Oh no, that is not reassuring news.

UGH! I forgot to buy Thief. Damn it, lol. I was actually looking for a new stealth game to play and had just been too busy to buy it. Thought I had until tomorrow. :\

EDIT: NVM, still on sale. Got it :)

Xamdou said:
Restarted my computer to see if it will fixed the controls. Nope still doesn't work.

Only thing I can think of is maybe you have a controller plugged into your computer, like a wired Xbox 360 controller? If you do, try unplugging it. I've had a few games whose KB/M controls are completely messed up with a pad plugged in.

If not, sorry, I'm no help. :(

Lime

@Shaneus

Make sure your GPU software isn't overriding any application settings. Turn off whatever solution you currently are using.

MrOogieBoogie

Lime said:
@Shaneus

Make sure your GPU software isn't overriding any application settings. Turn off whatever solution you currently are using.

Was that directed to me as well?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Joe Molotov said:
A couple of EA price drops:

Bulletstorm - $29.99
Dead Space - $29.99
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition - $29.99
Good, hopefully for winter we get some 75% off DA:O and Bulletstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom