• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

scorpscarx said:
I liked 'Origin' when it was just a bad-ass custom PC company. Truly.

I liked it more when it was a bad ass PC game dev.
shepicide.001.gif

For the Steam Summer Sale, I want Crysis 2 at $20 or so, Dead Space 2 at $15-20, GTAIV complete for $15, Dragon Age: Origins for $10, Bulletstorm for $10 and a few other titles for <$5.

Zimbardo

while Origin isn't on the same level as Steam (not even close), i find that its still good in that you can register many of your EA cdkeys on there and have access to unlimited downloads.

example: i bought Crysis 2 off Direct2Drive and registered the cdkey on Origin. so with that, i have an unlimited download of the game via D2D and thru Origin.

another good example is that a couple months ago i bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition @ Walmart ($39). when i got home to try it out, i was pissed to discover that it required me to have the DVD in the drive in order to play (i'm totally not used to that anymore).

so with Origin, i registered the Dragon Age cdkey on there and downloaded the digital copy, which proceeded to allow me to play without the need of pulling the DVD out all the time.

so while Origin isn't on the same level as Steam, there are some benefits.

they also have a friend list, and an in game overlay like Steam now, too. which is a bonus.

Salsa

The Broken Ska Record said:
For the Steam Summer Sale, I want Crysis 2 at $20 or so, Dead Space 2 at $15-20, GTAIV complete for $15, Dragon Age: Origins for $10, Bulletstorm for $10 and a few other titles for <$5.

people are just daydreaming now..

GTAIV complete will probably go even lower than that. As for the rest? good luck. All i see is EA games there, and EA isnt too fond of Steam.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm hoping for sales on the following:

SWTOR
Vampire: The Masquerade
Deus Ex 1 & 2
Max Payne 1 & 2

People keep telling me I have to play those. Any chance of a sale on those during the summer sale based on past history or is it generally a sale for newer games?

My wishlist as of now includes

Portal 2
Dead Rising 2
Dead Space 2
Crysis 2
King's Bounty: Armored Princess (couldn't get the whole collection on there)
Civ V
Alpha Protocol

Mostly want Portal 2 if it goes for less than $30, King's Bounty and Alpha Protocol (got incepted by Snuggler's thread). Budget is $50.

I already have most of the stuff that I want.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
For the summer sale, I'd like to see. (Ones that I think have a chance at the discount I want)

Dragon's Age Origin Complete
Universal Sandbox
The Void
Neverwinter Nights 2:platinum.

Basically just looking for 75% off on each one, otherwise I'll wait it out till Winter. I already have enough of a backlog as it is. Heh. Of course I'm opening to mostly anything that looks appealing and cheap enough.

markot

Banned
Yeah, most of the EA titles on steam for Aus are still much high price wise than they should be, and are on most other services >.<

Narag

jling84 said:

SWTOR
Deus Ex 1 & 2
Max Payne 1 & 2

People keep telling me I have to play those. Any chance of a sale on those during the summer sale based on past history or is it generally a sale for newer games?

Yes. I think I paid $2.50 for SWTOR, Deus Ex, and the Max Paynes. As far as V:TM goes, I really wish someone would repost that great white whale image.

Jomjom

Banned
Narag said:
Yes. I think I paid $2.50 for SWTOR, Deus Ex, and the Max Paynes. As far as V:TM goes, I really wish someone would repost that great white whale image.

Nice! I hope it happens that's within my price range!

Haha does V:TM never go on sale or something?

Zimbardo

jling84 said:
Nice! I hope it happens that's within my price range!

hardly ever.

on Steam, it went on sale a couple years ago during a Halloween sale i believe.

more recently it went on sale on Direct2Drive, about 2 months ago. was something like 50% off i think.

Eusis

jling84 said:
I don't think it has since... I don't know, October 2009? I'm actually kind of surprised that they hadn't put it on sale three Halloweens in a row.

jling84 said:
It has become some sort of a running gag here at GAF. Every big sale a lot of people implore for it to go on a daily deal. It has never happened. Or at least, not that I remember.
Edit: Oh, it already happened!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Salazar said:
My first time in this wonderland.

Can't wait. This shit is so convenient.
My first major steam sale had me getting, Killing Floor, Max Payne 1+2, Civilization 4 Complete, Jedi Knight Bundle, Defense Grid, Torchlight, Trine, and Audiosurf. All for slightly less than the price of a new console game.

One piece of advice, if its not a daily deal. Don't purchase it till the last day.

snack

I signed up with Origin, and I got a free game... I think. Burnout Paradise is in my games list and I don't remember buying it.
I think you bought it.

I don't see any free games on my account.

graywolf323

Eusis said:
I don't think it has since... I don't know, October 2009? I'm actually kind of surprised that they hadn't put it on sale three Halloweens in a row.

pretty sure the last time it was on sale was Halloween 2008 actually

because I got my new laptop (old one was shit and couldn't play it) in February 2009

Nabs

I signed up with Origin, and I got a free game... I think. Burnout Paradise is in my games list and I don't remember buying it.
It's just EADM. You probably got a free copy from the UK store a few months ago.

Xamdou

So what was the BEST steam steal/bargain you all ever got?

Here's mine:

-Star Wars: KOTOR: Nov 27, 2009 $2.49

-Team Fortress 2: Oct 29, 2009 $2.49

-Torchlight: Dec 26, 2009 $4.99

-Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe: Jun 12, 2010 $8.50

-Mass Effect Jun 19, 2010 $4.99

-The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Jun 25, 2010 $6.79

-Portal - Complimentary (Opt In) May 12, 2010 Free Purchase

-Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition Dec 20, 2010 $6.79

-Mass Effect 2 Jun 19, 2010 $9.99

Oreoleo

Xamdou said:

Here's mine:

-Star Wars: KOTOR: Nov 27, 2009 $2.49

-Team Fortress 2: Oct 29, 2009 $2.49

-Torchlight: Dec 26, 2009 $4.99

-Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe: Jun 12, 2010 $8.50

-Mass Effect Jun 19, 2010 $4.99

-The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Jun 25, 2010 $6.79

- Portal - Complimentary (Opt In) May 12, 2010 Free Purchase

-Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition Dec 20, 2010 $6.79

-Mass Effect 2 Jun 19, 2010 $9.99

Has to be when Witcher was at 6.79 for like an hour.

Shaneus

So I've just received a new subnotebook... what's the deal with sharing accounts between PCs? As long as only one is online at any one time it's okay? Keen to get some portable gaming happening on it, but don't want to do anything that Valve/Steam doesn't like.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Xamdou said:

The Witcher for $5. Not only did I love the game, but I've put 50 hours into it according to my counter. That's 10 cents an hour, which is ridiculous considering I've spent like 10 hours with some $60 games.

Maybe it was $7.50 now that I think about it, but that doesn't really change the fact.

Best bargains?

King's Bounty: The Legend for $3.24
Defense Grid: The Awakening for $2.00
Monkey Island SE Bundle $3.75

In terms of quality stuff at laughable prices.

Looking for a record of my best deals made me look all the way back in my transaction log. My very first purchase was made Jan 19 2008. It was Team Fortress 2 for $29.95.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Closest White Whale I got was Last Remnant for 10$, cheapest its been since was 20$. This was back in Dec 2009. Of course, I own a mint condition copy of Bloodlines already :p

I also got Eve online for 1.99 last summer, and I paid 10$ for Killing Floor, but put in 170 hours.

The packs are normally great deals too, specifically THQ and Squeenix

Oreoleo

Oh there was the one sale, STALKER SoC and CoP for $5 total. Anyone who didn't own those games yet and didn't buy that combo is a fool.

Oreoleo

OH! I got the Ship for 4.99 in '08! Similarly to Bloodlines I don't think the Ship has dropped from $20 in at least a year or two.

I bought that STALKER bundle despite already owning SoC already.

Good man. +respect

Edit: Max Payne 1 & 2 for 3.74 got dang!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Orellio said:
OH! I got the Ship for 4.99 in '08! Similarly to Bloodlines I don't think the Ship has dropped from $20 in at least a year or two.

Good man. +respect
The Ship is Steamworks, you can get copies on Amazon for like $6 shipped.

Xamdou

jling84 said:

SWTOR
Deus Ex 1 & 2
Max Payne 1 & 2

You mean Star Wars: Knights of the Old republic (SWKOTOR), I'd say definite yes. Deus Ex 1 & 2 Max Payne 1 & 2 most likely and Vampire: The Masquerade probably.

Xamdou said:
I got someone to pick up TF2 for me when it was on sale during Halloween for 2 hours something for 89 cents or something like that.

I've put 700+ hours into it.

I've made up for that by buying a big extra pack. Plus I've bought nearly 600 games on Steam.

I wasn't much of a PC gamer last year, so I missed the sales, but DAMN.

My wallet ain't ready.

Xamdou said:
I think I got The Orange Box for $7.50 or around there. Incredible deal.

Jomjom

Banned
shintoki said:
One piece of advice, if its not a daily deal. Don't purchase it till the last day.

How come? I'm still new to this and I haven't experienced my first major Steam sale yet. The only thing I got on sale was ME2 a month or so back. I hope Steam makes my first major sale memorable when the summer sale starts!!

Narag

jling84 said:
How come? I'm still new to this and I haven't experienced my first major Steam sale yet. The only thing I got on sale was ME2 a month or so back. I hope Steam makes my first major sale memorable when the summer sale starts!!

Item might be discounted heavier on a different day and you won't receive the difference so you should only buy something that hadn't been a daily sale on the last day when you're 100% sure it won't go lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom