• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bear said:
Is it? I remember reading somewhere that I should avoid the PC versions of Legend and Underworld, but if the UW port is good then I'll definitely get it at this price. I played the first two or three levels of the 360 version and really enjoyed it.

Oh, and is Anniversary's PC port good? If so I'll buy the two of them right now.

Yea they are both excellent on PC.

I'll echo the praise for Anniversary, by *far* the best game to bear the Tomb Raider mantle.

Guardian of Light is amazing. I played it coop last week (first time i played the game) and we both loved it. The mechanics are almost perfect. The combat is fun, there is incentive to explore to find extras and the puzzles are really, really great. I wasn't expecting it to be that fun.

Anyone know if the challenge packs are worth it and which ones are the best?

kamspy

Anniversary is bad ass on PC. You can max the fuck out of the AA and it still runs well above 60fps on even modest hardware.

If you own it you're pretty much good on all the 3D Tomb Raider stuff so far.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bear said:
Is it? I remember reading somewhere that I should avoid the PC versions of Legend and Underworld, but if the UW port is good then I'll definitely get it at this price. I played the first two or three levels of the 360 version and really enjoyed it.

Oh, and is Anniversary's PC port good? If so I'll buy the two of them right now.
The issue with Legend on release is that it came with both the 360 and PS2 assets. The PS2 assets ran perfectly at the time and were visually consistent. However, PC gamers *need* to max shit out so they would put on the 360 assets which ran poorly and in all honestly aren't consistent (it was an early 360 game). However, on modern hardware, both run perfectly fine so it really just comes down to preference.

With Underworld it's missing some shadowing tech that wasn't workable on DirectX 9 (360 is like a ghetto DX 9.5) and they weren't willing to release DX10 support to include it. Honestly, until you won't notice anything missing unless you do a side-by-side comparison. And the upside is that you are playing the game locked 60 FPS at 1080p with 8x+ AA. The game looks fantastic with that level image quality. The other downside is that the PC release never got the two DLC packs. They flesh out some of the story further, but again, they aren't critical and you won't feel like some part was just chopped out.

Wish I hadn't picked up Underworld during the christmas sale, since this is half off of what I paid. Only thing I don't have is the bonus content for GOL. Has anyone tried the Kain and Raziel pack? Is it just skins, or are there any cutscenes or story? Is the pay dlc any better than the free packs?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Diomedeskun said:
Wish I hadn't picked up Underworld during the christmas sale, since this is half off of what I paid. Only thing I don't have is the bonus content for GOL. Has anyone tried the Kain and Raziel pack? Is it just skins, or are there any cutscenes or story? Is the pay dlc any better than the free packs?
They actually pulled dialogue from the games in series to edited it in a way to make the story make some sense. It's pretty entertaining hearing them talk.

bucknuticus said:
Can you play Guardian of light online co-op on this pc version?
Yes.

So how does Guardian of light play with a keyboard and mouse? I played the demo on xbox, but dont have a wired controller. Am I going to be doing a disservice by playing it on keyboard?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Anniversary and Underworld acquired! GoL was my first taste of Tomb Raider and I loved it, so I've been waiting for the rest of the TR games to go on sale. Also grabbed Hitman Blood Money earlier...

Well, it was a very fruitful sale to me. Damage done:

$7.58 Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Lara Croft GOL

$3.74 Supreme Commander 2

$7.50 Just Cause 2

$7.50 Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY

Total: $26.32

Syril

Are the challenge packs in The Guardian of Light any good?

Also, if I get Kain and Raziel, who do I use in the single player? I don't get to choose, do I?

Lime

SteelAttack said:
Well, it was a very fruitful sale to me. Damage done:

$7.58 Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Lara Croft GOL

$3.74 Supreme Commander 2

$7.50 Just Cause 2

$7.50 Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY

Total: $26.32

This post should be printed out and sticked on the door of every video game retail store in the world.

Lime said:
This post should be printed out and sticked on the door of every retail store in the world.

Seriously. I have spent 111.87 euro over the last month and got 38(!) games out of it. Of course most are a bit old, but 3 bucks a game is crazy.

Quake1028

Feb 19, 2011 Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days $4.99
Feb 19, 2011 Hitman: Blood Money $2.49
Feb 14, 2011 Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY $7.50

Good shit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
FINALLY Underworld goes on sale. Man, I have been waiting a long time. Now, should I get Anniversary? Hmmmm... How can I say no to $2.50?

Can someone please explain to me as to why the valve complete pack is not available in Australia. It is available everywhere else in the world but not Australia, does anyone know why this is?

Fredescu

The Aussie ROFL COPTER said:
Can someone please explain to me as to why the valve complete pack is not available in Australia. It is available everywhere else in the world but not Australia, does anyone know why this is?
The Left 4 Dead 2 version it contains is banned here. I guess they haven't bothered to make a specific Australian version of the complete pack.

Twig

Banned
Robin Walker hates Australia.

(I don't know, that is really weird, isn't it?)

Kritz

Banned

Because the Australian version of L4D2 is censored and they can't be fucked making a region specific package with the censored version would be my guess.

If you want to get the pack, you could try your luck in getting one of the fine international GAF members to gift you the package, and then you can repay them back via paypal. But you might find it's a little harder to do when you're a junior / relatively unknown by the community.

poisonelf

Wow, I love Steam so much ! They have a DEAL (YEAH!!!) on the Director's Cut of the Witcher. Save 30% !! WOW !

So Steam decides to download it, install it, WITHOUT FUCKING ASKING ME, because if you have already paid for the Enhanced Edition the Director's Cut is for free, and now my saves will not load. The game crushes. This is my fourth fucking attempt to play this game, and the second that it crushes due to Steam.

So there, how's that for an update on Steam's offers.

poisonelf

Twig said:
Why the hell did you not have the Director's Cut in the first place?
I don't even know. I have bought this game twice. The first time I got the Collector's edition from normal retail, but by they time the EE was released I had lost my CD key. So I bought again from Steam. The game crushed, that was a year ago.

I have a new PC now, so I re-download from Steam, re-install, and play for 2 days. Today I see a message "hey, Director's Cut DLC finished download, cool bro?". And the game crushes. Thanks Steam ! I'm now trying to post on their forums but I'm not "activated" yet. I'm starting to believe truly higher powers do not want me to play this game.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Dice said:
FINALLY Underworld goes on sale. Man, I have been waiting a long time. Now, should I get Anniversary? Hmmmm... How can I say no to $2.50?

Anniversary is awesome. I just bought tGoL+DLC :D

Just beat Kane & Lynch 2, took about 4 hours. Both games were entertaining distractions, well worth the 5$ I spent on each, between two games I would say that enjoyed Dog Days a fair bit more than Dead Men. I don't mind that Io dropped the Freedom Fighters-lite squad based mechanics and went for more of a standard cover-based third person shooter. The play mechanics and controls are more satisfying in Dog Days. The enemy A.I. in Dog Days is markedly better than what's present in Dead Men. In Dog Days enemies pop in and out of covering annoyingly well, they'll even attempt to flank given the right environment. In Dead Men enemy A.I. would do things like use the cover animation but be standing out in the open.

The overall aesthetic and presentation of Dog Days is a massive leap over Dead Men and I honestly think that the presentation makes Dog Days worth playing through, at least once. Both games had some interesting set pieces, Dead Men could be really epic, action movie extreme in some instances but Dog Days is more grounded and cohesive. It's a train wreck in slow motion in the beautifully ugly under belly of Shanghai.

I don't think I'll be uninstalling Dog Days right away, I'm going to try and play some co-op, arcade mode and maybe try the multiplayer mode, although I expect a ghost town at this point.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really feel like buying all of them tomb raider games.

What's the consensus on the Underworld/Legend/Anniversary? Are they all worth it? Anniversary for 2,50, I can't even find a reason not to buy it. But what about the other games?

Screw it, I just paid 20 USD for Viva Piñata for the 360 and I'll never play. I can afford 24 for 4 games, 2 of which I will play.

Also, somebody else already said all games are good. So yeah. :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
drizzle said:

What's the consensus on the Underworld/Legend/Anniversary? Are they all worth it? Anniversary for 2,50, I can't even find a reason not to buy it. But what about the other games?
At those prices they are definitely all worth it. If you like exploration and have enjoyed tomb raider in the past, its a no-brainer.

Lime

drizzle said:

Stallion Free said:
Legend fucks with the [puzzle/action] ratio and has a bit too much combat, but it's still quite good.

Underworld is a real stunner on PC and is incredibly well optimized. It has some incredibly well done and immersive water segments. Comes damn close to Anniversary's greatness IMO.

All three games can be a bit finicky with the camera angles during platfomring.

All of these games have perfect 360 pad support with proper button prompts and rumble support.

To add my own comments, all three games are great entertainment. Great locales and interesting puzzles.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So i have a wired 360 controller, can i just plug it into my pc and use it with the Tomb Raider games? Do i need special drivers or anything? I have vista.

~Kinggi~

Banned
TenshiOni said:
How well does GoL control on the PC?

Is having a game pad (I have a 360 wired controller) recommended?
I have heard the wired is the way to go. I just needed to know if there were driver issues. I have heard in the past that with some games you need to install these 3rd party drivers to get good controls with wired 360 pads.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
~Kinggi~ said:
So i have a wired 360 controller, can i just plug it into my pc and use it with the Tomb Raider games? Do i need special drivers or anything? I have vista.

No need for special drivers, vista will download them.

1-D_FTW

So is it worth buying all the DLC (minus Kain pack) for LC: GoL? Love the main game, just got distracted by all the shiny toys I bought and never finished. Plan on going back to it soon.

legend166

poisonelf said:
I don't even know. I have bought this game twice. The first time I got the Collector's edition from normal retail, but by they time the EE was released I had lost my CD key. So I bought again from Steam. The game crushed, that was a year ago.

I have a new PC now, so I re-download from Steam, re-install, and play for 2 days. Today I see a message "hey, Director's Cut DLC finished download, cool bro?". And the game crushes. Thanks Steam ! I'm now trying to post on their forums but I'm not "activated" yet. I'm starting to believe truly higher powers do not want me to play this game.

Can you please stop saying 'crushes'?

It's 'crashed'. Is English your first language?

Rufus

poisonelf said:
Well no, I guess it's obvious? :)
Well, considering it's stated in your profile as well.

~Kinggi~ said:
I have heard the wired is the way to go. I just needed to know if there were driver issues. I have heard in the past that with some games you need to install these 3rd party drivers to get good controls with wired 360 pads.
You might want to if you'd like to use the Triggers as buttons in games that don't support Xinput (they are treated as axes, like the sticks), but I can't think of a recent game that doesn't see the triggers at all. I may not have tried to use the 360 controller on those that don't though, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure some emulators don't recognize them, but aside from that newer games, especially console ports, should work flawlessly with it.

1-D_FTW

Screw it. Purchased the DLC Map pack #1 & 3 for GoL.

WTF is with pack #2? The DLC requires a Steam version of GoL for it to work. And map pack #2 is included with the Steam version for free. Yeah, good luck trying to sell that one, Eidos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom