• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

I thought the first DLC was free for a limited time because it took them so long to include online co-op. Why they would hand out pack 2 instead of 1 is a mystery to me though.

Volcynika

Rufus said:
I thought the first DLC was free for a limited time because it took them so long to include online co-op. Why they would hand out pack 2 instead of 1 is a mystery to me though.

They were giving out different packs for each version or something.

So I'm freaking out here and REALLY appreciate any help.

I just opened Steam to re-play some Dragon Age: Origins only to discover that all my save data is gone. I realized something was up when I went to run the game and it popped up with some "Dragon Age will now analyze your computer and choose the recommended settings" or something. It was as if I had never played the game before or something. And yeah, all my characters were gone and NONE of the DLC was installed.

I ran Fallout: New Vegas. All my characters are gone. But I can still find my saves in My Documents for some reason. But none of it is loading when I run the game.

Mass Effect - all my characters are gone.

What the fuck happened, guys?

Seemingly all my Steam saves are dead. For the non-Valve games, at least.

Zzoram

TenshiOni said:

I just opened Steam to re-play some Dragon Age: Origins only to discover that all my save data is gone. I realized something was up when I went to run the game and it popped up with some "Dragon Age will now analyze your computer and choose the recommended settings" or something. It was as if I had never played the game before or something. And yeah, all my characters were gone and NONE of the DLC was installed.

I ran Fallout: New Vegas. All my characters are gone. But I can still find my saves in My Documents for some reason. But none of it is loading when I run the game.

did you do a system restore recently, or delete any folders you didn't look through carefully? I think all of those games store saves in your My Documents folder. It's easy to accidentally delete them and not notice them.

Zzoram said:
did you do a system restore recently, or delete any folders you didn't look through carefully? I think all of those games store saves in your My Documents folder. It's easy to accidentally delete them and not notice them.
Haven't screwed around with any of my Documents, no.

But I have done a system restore within the last month but the time I selected to restore to was well AFTER I beat those games. And doesn't System Restore not touch your personal files/documents? I've lost nothing else but these game saves in My Documents.

Try verifying the integrity of your local files. If you don't know how, right click on a game in your library, choose properties, in the dialogue that appears, choose the local files tab and verify the integrity of your local game cache.

I just bought Tomb Raider Anniversary today, and I can't get it to work. "OUT OF TABLE RANGE" it says. I can't even open setup because it keeps saying that. :(

kamspy

TenshiOni said:
Haven't screwed around with any of my Documents, no.

But I have done a system restore within the last month but the time I selected to restore to was well AFTER I beat those games. And doesn't System Restore not touch your personal files/documents? I've lost nothing else but these game saves in My Documents.

See if you have a "Windows.old" file on your C: drive now. They might be in there.

Steam only backs up saves to Valve games AFAIK.

Lime

TenshiOni said:

Bioware games are stored under C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Bioware\*game name*\*

Your Steam folder and the installation folders of the mentioned games have nothing to do with those savegames.

OH THANK GOD.

Found my saves for DA and ME in the "Games" folder of MyDocuments. Within that folder was a BioWare folder and the two games with my saves were in there for some reason.

I REALLY don't recall moving any of that stuff around at all. I'm 99.9% positive I've never touched it, in fact.

Weird.

I take it just copying that folder to the separate BioWare folder in MyDocuments will fix this problem?
Bioware games are stored under C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Bioware\*game name*\*

Your Steam folder and the installation folders of the mentioned games have nothing to do with those savegames.
Right, that's where I was looking.

But for some reason they were under C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Games\BioWare.

Twig

Banned
poisonelf said:
I don't even know. I have bought this game twice. The first time I got the Collector's edition from normal retail, but by they time the EE was released I had lost my CD key. So I bought again from Steam. The game crushed, that was a year ago.

I have a new PC now, so I re-download from Steam, re-install, and play for 2 days. Today I see a message "hey, Director's Cut DLC finished download, cool bro?". And the game crushes. Thanks Steam ! I'm now trying to post on their forums but I'm not "activated" yet. I'm starting to believe truly higher powers do not want me to play this game.
Yeah, it sucks when that happens. I'm just a little surprised that you didn't already have Director's Cut if you've restarted recently. It's been out for a long while.

I feel your pain, though. Updating to DC didn't break my saves when it came out however long ago, but I've had similar devastating experiences with other games. Unfortunately, I think there's naught you can do. ):

poisonelf

Twig said:
Yeah, it sucks when that happens. I'm just a little surprised that you didn't already have Director's Cut if you've restarted recently. It's been out for a long while.

I feel your pain, though. Updating to DC didn't break my saves when it came out however long ago, but I've had similar devastating experiences with other games. Unfortunately, I think there's naught you can do. ):
Actually, a solution has been found :D I "Verified the Integrity of game Cache" as Lasthope106 suggested in the Witcher official thread. I didn't even know that Steam had such an option. Miraculously it worked, couldn't be happier. I'm off to play before having to sleep now :)

Twig

Banned
poisonelf said:
Actually, a solution has been found :D I "Verified the Integrity of game Cache" as Lasthope106 suggested in the Witcher official thread. I didn't even know that Steam had such an option. Miraculously it worked, couldn't be happier. I'm off to play before having to sleep now :)
Woohoo! It's a great game, so now you have no excuse not to beat it. U:

I bought Civ IV this weekend. It is my first PC game purchase. I ahve t say I really love Steam.

Any good railrood tycoon styled game suggestions? I have a cheap laptop so I would like to find some somewhat older games like Civ IV that will run on it. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How about... Railroad Tycoon 3?

There is Sid Meier's Railroads!, but I haven't actually played it. It just has Sid's name in it, how bad could it be?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Maybe it's the hours and hours of TDU2 talking, but I'm pretty sure Tomb Raider Anniversary runs a bazillion FPS.

Boonoo

I think that I might finally play Just Cause 2. Any basic settings I should use to have fun?
(Stuff like making sure to play Crysis on Delta and turning off the music in Dead Space.) I remember hearing about ammo management being annoying.

John

Boonoo said:
I think that I might finally play Just Cause 2. Any basic settings I should use to have fun?
(Stuff like making sure to play Crysis on Delta and turning off the music in Dead Space.) I remember hearing about ammo management being annoying.
yeah i was told to download the all ammo is free mod and play on easy

kamspy

Boonoo said:

www.justcause2mods.com

Free everything, skip equipment drop cutscenes, HD skybox, extended grapple length, free camera while in vehicles (like GTA4 PC).

A Solid Snake player skin makes things better too. Everything is funner if performed by Snake.

Salaadin

Did Lara Croft GoL comes with some of the DLC or something? Steam says I already own Challenge Pack 1 and 2 and wont let me buy.

EDIT: I guess so, just checked the DLC section under properties and they are there.

Blizzard

Banned
Salaadin said:
Did Lara Croft GoL comes with some of the DLC or something? Steam says I already own Challenge Pack 1 and 2 and wont let me buy.

EDIT: I guess so, just checked the DLC section under properties and they are there.
That's weird, I have COSTUME pack 1 and challenge pack 2.

I haven't played the challenge pack yet, but from what I -think- I heard from Stallion Free and others, the first challenge pack (free for 360 or whatever) was good, and the second one (free for PC) was pretty crappy in comparison, with some defeat-waves-of-enemy mode and not really good puzzles. Kinda unfortunate.

graywolf323

Blizzard said:

I haven't played the challenge pack yet, but from what I -think- I heard from Stallion Free and others, the first challenge pack (free for 360 or whatever) was good, and the second one (free for PC) was pretty crappy in comparison, with some defeat-waves-of-enemy mode and not really good puzzles. Kinda unfortunate.

yeah they gave the one challenge pack and the Kane & Lynch character pack to users for free when they came out (believe K&L is still complimentary but new buyers will have to buy challenge pack 2)

Just installed Anniversary. It runs beautifully, looks pretty good even on my modest hardware, and the game recognized instantly my Logitech Dual Action gamepad. Too bad I'm already busy going through my backlog, but that's going to help me build even more anticipation.

Salaadin

Blizzard said:

Yeah youre right, I misspoke earlier.

Does anyone else have a problem with your Steam shortcut icons not holding? I just rebooted and when I came back, A few of my shortcut icons turned into a generic Earth icon.

Dice

Underworld runs like butter, much better than the demo did, but no windowed mode on either of these? I've become so used to playing all my games in a 1600x900 window and switching back and forth between them and the internet.

Edit: Lara's skin is very skin-like as opposed to the totally plastic look most other games have.

commissar

Ended up getting civ 5 (thanks n0b!), tomb raider underworld (had it on ps3, and now on pc) and I bought all the guardian of light DLC. I've never even played a legacy of kain game, but at that price I couldn't resist :S

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All the non-skin DLC for GOL is mediocre at best. Each pack seems to have defend against the waves type levels, puzzles from single-player made more challenging, or platforming from single-player made more challenging. These aren't mixed together as they are in singleplayer, they are separated into confined levels that feel uninspired. They are over quickly and aren't as satisfying or entertaining as the main game.

I recommend ignoring them and just focusing on the main game.

John

kamspy said:
www.justcause2mods.com

Free everything, skip equipment drop cutscenes, HD skybox, extended grapple length, free camera while in vehicles (like GTA4 PC).

A Solid Snake player skin makes things better too. Everything is funner if performed by Snake.
looks like they took down the snake skin! : (

getitsnakeskin

Mr_Zombie

MNC said:
GAF which TR do I buy D:

Buy them in that order:

1. Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
2. Anniversary
3. Underworld
4. Legend

(unfortunately, to follow Underworld's story you have to play Legend first)

Dice

Does Underworld get less linear? I just beasted the first level like roflcopter.

also trololol @ fanservice outfit and pretty much every possible climbing situation to see her ass in 100 different angles and motions

rObit

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Took me about 45 min to install Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Just played it with my 360 pad. Silky smooth,

Nostalgia overlooad!!

All I needed to see. Picked it up. I missed out on the TR series up until Legend for the 360 so this will be a fresh experience. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom