• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Hoard due out for the PC and Mac April 4

BAgJ7.jpg

HOARD™ RELEASE DATE, PRICING ANNOUNCED FOR STEAM™
Dragons breathing fire and Steam™ on your PC and Mac on April 4th
VANCOUVER, British Columbia — March 14th, 2010 — Big Sandwich Games today announced the upcoming release of the Steam version of their critically acclaimed strategy arcade game HOARD™, which puts up to four players in control of powerful dragons hoarding gold, frightening villagers and ransoming princesses.

HOARD™ will release via Steam for your PC and Mac on April 4th, and will retail for $9.99. Pre-sales will begin on March 21st with a limited time “fire-sale” discount of 25%. In addition, sharing with your friends is rewarded, as a 4-pack of HOARD™ can be purchased for the low price of $28.00. Steam Play is supported, meaning Steam users who own both a PC and a Mac only need buy the game once.

kamspy

When did they change the AssBro date to the 22nd?

I just restarted Steam to try and get a preload kicking, didn't happen so I googled. WTF. Page said 15th forever.

Joe Molotov said:
LovingSteam's lack of dedication to crass consumerism of late has become a bit disturbing.
Lol. $38.50 spent so far this year and that was for Portal 2. Red Orchestra 2, BF3, Skyrim, possibly Deus Ex will be my only new game purchasesthis year (hopefully). No sales of interest so far.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
ClosingADoor said:
Seems like all Oddworld games are on sale, 50% off. Must resist Stranger's Wrath (€7,49 now)...
The Oddbox is tempting but I don't know, are most of the bugs fixed?

Don't reward Just Add Water with your money, do not buy the Oddbox, it is such a laughably terrible port job. Tons of graphical glitches, terrible performance if you're an ATI card user based off of what I last read, and non-existent options that Crysis 2 is weirdly on par with. I bought the pack at the 50% launch discount and still felt ripped off.

Based off of their CEO's posts in the Oddbox thread, I'm never buying another PC game that Just Add Water is involved with.

epmode

jaundicejuice said:
Don't reward Just Add Water with your money, do not buy the Oddbox, it is such a laughably terrible port job. Tons of graphical glitches, terrible performance if you're an ATI card user based off of what I last read, and non-existent options that Crysis 2 is weirdly on par with. I bought the pack at the 50% launch discount and still felt ripped off.

Based off of their CEO's posts in the Oddbox thread, I'm never buying another PC game that Just Add Water is involved with.
On the other hand, the game now runs perfectly for Nvidia users which I didn't expect after the horrible launch. Judging from the complete 180, I figured an ATI fix was soon to follow. It hasn't happened yet?

Narag

jaundicejuice said:

Didn't he redeem himself in that thread and they put out several fixes to bring it up to par or did I not read it closely enough towards the end?

epmode

Narag said:
Didn't he redeem himself in that thread and they put out several fixes to bring it up to par or did I not read it closely enough towards the end?
Yes, they did an excellent job. Last I heard, some ATI users were still having trouble due to a driver issue and a fix was in the works. That was 1-2 months ago.

RiverBed

Banned
Noob question a-comin':
If I buy a game from steam, am I able to redownload it as many times as I want if I ever delete it from my PC- or changed PCs- however many times I want?

Also, off topic, but is this so for Battle.net as well? I want to buy SC2 digitally as well.

Thanks.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RiverBed said:
Noob question a-comin':
If I buy a game from steam, am I able to redownload it as many times as I want if I ever delete it from my PC- or changed PCs- however many times I want?

Also, off topic, but is this so for Battle.net as well? I want to buy SC2 digitally as well.

Thanks.

Technically yes, though each game is subject to whatever DRM the publisher opted to include, which often means install limits.

graywolf323

Sinatar said:
Technically yes, though each game is subject to whatever DRM the publisher opted to include, which often means install limits.

I wouldn't say often given most games on Steam do not have install limits

ManeKast

Can I buy Mass Effect 2 on the Australian Steam Store and gift it to my friend in Japan, where the game is not available on Steam? If so, will it work for him and what about DLC? Would I be able to gift that too?

RiverBed

Banned
Sinatar said:
Thanks for the reply guys.
I thought all Steam games had the same Valve DRM. Or does every publisher uses their own DRM for their game even though they are all on Steam?

Also, how about Battle.net? I really want to play SC2 very soon and I don't know if I should opt for a DD or hard copy. :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RiverBed said:
I thought all Steam games had the same Valve DRM. Or does every publisher uses their own DRM for their game even though they are all on Steam?

Also, how about Battle.net? I really want to play SC2 very soon and I don't know if I should opt for a DD or hard copy. :(

Battle.net doesn't have any limitations as far as I know.

RiverBed said:

Nowadays, only lazy or anti-consumer developers choose to add more DRM to Steam versions of games. A few developers were "money-hat"ed by Microsoft to use GFWL, but almost every single one of those developers has or will be switching to using Steamworks.

Wthermans

Banned
epmode said:
Yes, they did an excellent job. Last I heard, some ATI users were still having trouble due to a driver issue and a fix was in the works. That was 1-2 months ago.
The game is running alright now. GoldenHelmet was a bit in denial at first, but came back and really addressed the concerns that launch users had. Him and his team at JAW really turned a sour situation (that he exacerbated, but later corrected) into a decent experience. The game is lacking in performance and options compared to modern ports (the ATi problem is with the drivers, ATi is lazy with their OpenGL drivers), but it's fully playable on a decent rig and long awaited.

Salsa

So yeah, Magicka stuttering quite a bit.

Apparently its a known issue but some folks are saying they supposedly fixed it with the latest patch. Im still getting it :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
weird, I never had performance issues with Magicka, I bought it 2~ months after release so it was patched

maybe your computer is too old, Salsa

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
poppabk said:
How was the actual game, any enjoyment to be had, looks like your usual modern shooter?
To be honest I like the idea of movie tie-in titles being cheap and short, then people who enjoy the movie can play the game without getting ripped off at full price by the inevitable rushed piece of junk that gets released.
MEH. It actually plays pretty average from moment to moment. Bland more than anything.

There are only 3 weapons and you'll be using the one you start with 95% of the time, switching to a sniper rifle to take out a couple dudes on gun emplacements and switching to a rocket launcher to kill the flying enemy.

Only one type of ground enemy and one type of air enemy. Run down the street, kill a couple guys on the ground and a couple on a roof, maybe hit an exploding barrel, then rinse and repeat. They also pad the thing out with a couple of turret sections. There's nothing interesting about any of it.

You know what it feels like? It feels like a game that was released only out of contractual obligation or something. It's basically apathy in FPS form.

MRORANGE

Pride Of Nations

Published by Paradox expect to see it next month hopefully.
unless it turns out to be gamersgate exclusive.

5B9kB.jpg

Pride of Nations is a turn-based historical strategy game set in the colonial era of the 19th century, where the player takes control of a country and guides it through industrialization, military conquest, and colonization. This upcoming release from AGEOD follows such successful historical strategy games as Birth of America, American Civil War, Napoleon's Campaigns, and Wars in America.

Cthulhu Saves the World

not 100% it will come out on steam, but expect a spring release:

l1wa2.jpg

http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/03/14/cthulhu-saves-the-world-pc-port-details-and-super-long-title-r/#continued

The full title of the PC version will be Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector's Edition (without Avatars!).

The port will have the previously announced new Cthulhu's Angels game mode where players will control a bunch of sexy monsters who will try to save the world in because Cthulhu is just too darn lazy to do it. There will also be a director's commentary mode where players can click on icons to read about the inside story of the game's creation. Look for a new Insanity difficulty mod, some rebalanced gameplay and lots more. The game should be released sometime this spring.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
SalsaShark said:
So yeah, Magicka stuttering quite a bit.

Apparently its a known issue but some folks are saying they supposedly fixed it with the latest patch. Im still getting it :(
Try playing windowed instead of full screen.

BTW, is that Magicka DLC worth it?

theBishop

Banned
I bit on the Direct2Drive Metro2033/Homefront deal for $40. Direct2Drive is a much better service than I thought. You download what is essentially a disc image. It doesn't prevent Steam games from working with Steam. In fact, in the case of this deal, both games can simply be activated in Steam and you never have to download anything from D2D.

I have a feeling I won't like Homefront, but for $40, it's a cherry on top of Metro2033, which is quite good so far. For a relatively low-budget game, it runs very well on PC with gamepad support and all. I'm loving it.

RiverBed said:

All Steam games do have the same Valve DRM. Some publishers add additional DRM on top of that for no good reason. There are some prominent titles that do this (Ubisoft and EA especially tend to add extra DRM to most of their titles) but something like 90% of Steam games have no extra DRM and can be downloaded as many times as you want, on as many different computers as you want.

NaM

theBishop said:
I bit on the Direct2Drive Metro2033/Homefront deal for $40. Direct2Drive is a much better service than I thought. You download what is essentially a disc image. It doesn't prevent Steam games from working with Steam. In fact, in the case of this deal, both games can simply be activated in Steam and you never have to download anything from D2D.

I have a feeling I won't like Homefront, but for $40, it's a cherry on top of Metro2033, which is quite good so far. For a relatively low-budget game, it runs very well on PC with gamepad support and all. I'm loving it.
So Homefront is $ 49.95 for me in D2D. Did I miss something?

I've been in the mood to play some coop with a buddy who just recently bought his PC and I saw Titan Quest Gold on Steam for $20. How is it and how often does it go on sale?

Minsc

Gold Member
Felix Lighter said:
I've been in the mood to play some coop with a buddy who just recently bought his PC and I saw Titan Quest Gold on Steam for $20. How is it and how often does it go on sale?

It goes on sale for $5-10 pretty often, at least 2x a year I think. There's plenty of other co-op games I'd consider before Titan Quest (like Magika - haven't even played that, RE5, Trine, and so on), not that TQ is a bad choice, but it just seems a bit random! :)

Minsc said:
It goes on sale for $5-10 pretty often, at least 2x a year I think. There's plenty of other co-op games I'd consider before Titan Quest (like Magika - haven't even played that, RE5, Trine, and so on), not that TQ is a bad choice, but it just seems a bit random! :)

I don't know, I saw a few minutes of a Let's Play and thought it looked interesting. I'm really looking forward to Torchlight 2 and it seemed similar. I'll look into Magika. Thanks.

NaM

It looks like D2D has ip restrictions since when I try to buy homefront I get "Homefront is Country restricted on your IP" (I'm not from the States), also it doesn't say anywhere I'll get metro 2033 for free. Is it legal to use a proxy to bypass this ip restriction?

Lime

Felix Lighter said:

Me and my other friends were in the same situation regarding Bad Company 2. Instead, we just played the F2P Alien Swarm. It's actually an okay co-op experience, especially due to the fact that it's free.

Relax.MX

Lime said:
Me and my other friends were in the same situation regarding Bad Company 2. Instead, we just played the F2P Alien Swarm. It's actually an okay co-op experience, especially due to the fact that it's free.

But Bad Company 2 is great...¿My advice? buy it

Worth it

Lime said:

Completely forgot about Alien Swarm. We'll give it shot.

Lime

Relax.MX said:
But Bad Company 2 is great...¿My advice? buy it

Worth it

3 of us already own BC2. It's the fourth guy who doesn't. And 40 euro for 2 year old game is a bit too much, especially when retail is 10 euro.

MRORANGE

Lime said:
3 of us already own BC2. It's the fourth guy who doesn't. And 40 euro for 2 year old game is a bit too much, especially when retail is 10 euro.

It was just $6.79 during the Steam Christmas sale, if you really insist on a digital copy you can if you want get the retail version and register the key to the EA Download Manager.

I bought BC2 at full price and I don't regret it one bit.

kswiston

Lime said:

BC2 is only two weeks past its first birthday :p

Shambles

Minsc said:

Yeah I think I bought it for 6-7$ during the Christmas sale. It's a pretty good game and while it doesn't have as much depth as Sacred 2 it doesn't have Sacred's broken multiplayer system that doesn't always let you maintain your main character and give you 800ms ping. If you do end up getting it make sure you use the defiler mod. It allows you to do a lot but I mainly use it to allow potion stacking in my inventory and to allow myself to craft unique and rare items.

Lime

MRORANGE said:
It was just $6.79 during the Steam Christmas sale, if you really insist on a digital copy you can if you want get the retail version and register the key to the EA Download Manager.

I bought BC2 at full price and I don't regret it one bit.

Hey, I already own it, it's my friend you have to talk to :p Besides money is a relative value and all of us are studying on old bread and water. 40 euros are a lot of money to people like us.

kswiston said:
BC2 is only two weeks past its first birthday :p

lol, I'm getting too old for shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom