• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tempted to bite on DogFighter, but I'll have to check out how does it work with a gamepad later tonight. I played a few minutes of the demo with KB/M and kept crashing.

So I purchased the Fallout 3 GotY edition the other day and am having an issue with the launcher crashing. I can play the game once just fine, but any successive attempts to play the game fail because the launcher simply crashes the moment it opens.

Two fixes I've found are to navigate to my Fallout GotY directory, right click on both the executable and launcher and set both to either compatibility mode for WindowsXP Service pack 3 or to run the programs as administrator. The games run, however Steam no longer does. I can't access the Steam overlay while in-game and it no longer tracks my play time.

Currently my options are to verify the integrity of my local game cache every time before I boot Fallout 3 GotY up in order to have access to Steam OR I can forsake Steam's community features and run the game in compatibility mode or as administrator.

There's got to be a better solution but searching through for a solution to this particular crash is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, there are so many ways in which this game crashes and fails it seems :/

Here are my specs...
Windows 7 64bit
6GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 480
Intel i7 quadcore 2.8GHz

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I've tried editing the Fallout.ini with the bUseThreadedAI=0 with bUseThreadedAI=1 and adding bUseThreadedAI=2 for quad cores, but it didn't work. Launcher just takes longer to crash than usual.

Basically it looks like this game doesn't support Windows 7 based off of a post from the Steam forum for Fallout 3 and I'll have to run this in compatibility mode.

Edit redux: Control Panel > Programs and Files > Turn Windows Features On and Off > turned on all .NET features. No dice, launcher still crashes.

The Revengening of Edit: So deleting the .ini from Documents > MyGames > Fallout3 seems to have done the trick.

The Son of The Revenge of Edit: So deleting the .ini isn't a perfect solution because you have to delete it every time before you launch Fallout 3, otherwise the launcher just crashes as soon as it appears. It's a better solution than validating the local game cache whenever I want to pay the game and it's better than running the game as admin or in compatibility mode because I have access to Steam but it's still an imperfect solution.

If anyone can offer me a better solution it would be greatly appreciated. It's tiring scouring the Steam forums or googling for a solution, there's so many crashes and performance issues with Fallout 3 that come up but none seem directly related to the launcher issues I'm experiencing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ledsen said:
My friend likes Dungeon Keeper and he's played Dungeons for like 40 hours.

I never heard anything positive until now after it was described as a wonderful twist on the Tower Defense genre in one review. I should check out the demo, I did enjoy Defense Grid a lot, though DG was $2.50 when I bought it, not $40 (like this).

Zzoram

Dungeons isn't really tower defense anymore than Evil Genius was, you build an elaborate dungeon and try to get money to build a more elaborate dungeon to distract visiting heroes from finding and killing your avatar.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks like Dungeons is account-linked to some Kalypso DRM though, from what the Steam forums are saying. Anything other than Steamworks makes me think twice.

Joe Molotov

Looks like all of the Winter Voices series is half-off. Even though I wasn't crazy about the prologue, I think I'll pick the rest of it up. Maybe it got better?

Mrbob

LocoMrPollock said:
Cloning Clyde is out for $4.24 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/91800/

It's a pretty fun little game.

Definitely a cool little game. I played the heck out of this game on 360. The cloning aspect is a nice twist. I haven't played it in a couple years and am getting the itch again seeing this link. With the price under 5 bucks well worth checking out.

Edit: I just looked at the developer who did the pc port and they are called Bacon Wrapped Games. How can you not support a developer with a great name like this?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
K.Jack said:
Really? Dude it's a $.99 upgrade.
To be fair, I hadn't even checked the price.
Also, the thread was due for a question like that one.

Stallion Free said:
I'm waiting for the summer sale or a 4 pack.
I'm personally waiting for the n-packs like last year.

Joe Molotov said:
You could buy a third of a box of cereal for that price!
A sixth actually.

Is Prey still not on steam for you? There's an age verification page I can pull up through google but it just goes back to the homepage. I would think they got that CD key problem resolved by now right? Do they hate money?

LegoDad

crimsonheadGCN said:
Not normally, but I believe Ubisoft generally uses a Steam activation code for these vouchers.

My HAWX2 code didn't work on Steam. i had to go to some website, get another code, then use that on ubi's site.

Haeleos

X05 said:
To be fair, I hadn't even checked the price.

To be fair, you put the effort into coming to NeoGAF, entering the Steam thread, hitting reply and asking about it's worth before even checking how much it cost.

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, I was just about to ask, when does it activate? It's not showing up in my games list and it's saying I can buy it.

From their blog:

"Puppygames customers will be able to request a Steam key to get the Steam version of the game (which is actually of course almost identical to the Puppygames one). Likewise Humble Bundlers. I don’t actually know how this process works yet mind so bear with me whilst we work out how."

Cheech

jaundicejuice said:
So I purchased the Fallout 3 GotY edition the other day and am having an issue with the launcher crashing. I can play the game once just fine, but any successive attempts to play the game fail because the launcher simply crashes the moment it opens.

Get rid of any and all videocard manufacturer "helper" software crap. I was actually having problems with New Vegas doing the exact same thing, until I uninstalled the Asus "Gamer OSD" software. Then, it was smooth sailing.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Anybody wants to offer me anything for Mafia 2? I got a free code with my videocard, but I don't really want the game. I am looking to trade it for Spore Galactic Adventures, Transformers War for Cybertron, or a better offer. Anybody?

Arsenic

I guess im late but I just noticed the Oddworld/Oddbox games are on sale on steam. Im ready to bite on on the Oddysee/Exoddus pack, but are the other 2 games worth it? Also, I remember there was an issue with these games at the time of release, is there still an issue?

Volcynika

godhandiscen said:
Anybody wants to offer me anything for Mafia 2? I got a free code with my videocard, but I don't really want the game. I am looking to trade it for Spore Galactic Adventures, Transformers War for Cybertron, or a better offer. Anybody?

Well Mafia 2 was very recently on sale for $7.50, so people not bite on the offer much! :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
godhandiscen said:
I'll take it if you decide to give it away lol.
Perhaps I could make you an avatar for it?

Weenerz

Banned
Have a copy of Metro 2033 just sitting on my gift section, anyone want to do some trades? A TF2 might be worth it lol.

Are TF2 hats even giftable?

Weenerz

Banned
I'm at work, but if you post your Steam name here, I'll just send it to you when I get hom in an hour or two.

And yes I have Portal, give it to someone that doesn't have it on GAF (If that is even possible).

Seriously?????!!!! I will so hook you up in the future on whatever I can if you gift me that, I've wanted to get Metro for ages! <3

It's bird2jet

Weenerz

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Seriously?????!!!! I will so hook you up in the future on whatever I can if you gift me that, I've wanted to get Metro for ages! <3

It's bird2jet

Yea no worries dude, game is pretty fun, great atmosphere.

Spookie said:
Talking of free stuff. I've got two copies of portal and a copy of Half Life 2 if anyone wants it?
If you're giving it away, Portal would be welcome ;) Haven't played it yet, but don't have anything to give in return at the moment I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom