• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've installed San Andreas, but I've encountered a couple issues. First, I don't see the logos in the beginning. I can hear sound, so I assume they're supposed to be there, but the screen is black. And second, I can't seem to change my resolution from 800x600 or whatever it's at. What the hell?

Lime

Ugh, I had hoped Bethesda would have included higher resolution textures for the PC version of Skyrim. The install size tells me they didn't do that :(

I might wait on picking it up until mods have fixed it.

Eusis

It's not something that really concerned me after the efforts on their prior games. Hell, even if they had higher resolution textures the community would've cooked up a new pack anyway.

markot

Banned
Eusis said:
It's not something that really concerned me after the efforts on their prior games. Hell, even if they had higher resolution textures the community would've cooked up a new pack anyway.
Its kinda sad that on a new engine they didnt do more though >.<

coopolon

markot said:
Its kinda sad that on a new engine they didnt do more though >.<

I'm pretty sure it's still Gamebryo. The Creation Engine is just modified Gamebryo. I guess you could say the CoD engine is just modified id tech 3 though, so I'm probably oversimplifying.

TheExodu5 said:
Steam Stats

Code:
Current Players 	Peak Today 	  	Game
329 	                342 	  	        L.A.Noire

What were you thinking, Rockstar?

I already own it on PS3 but plan on getting the Steam version later when it's on sale. There are way too many other games to play and Skyrim will rule them all, come this Friday. This is what happens when you release your games on PC as an afterthought. Your sales will also be an afterthought.

Lol LA Noire. Good job Rockstar
Anyways, Skyrim needs to be unlocked like right now. It's the only thing that could really distract me from the internet and avoid getting completely spoiled on Skyward Sword's story.

confused

Banned
Sometimes Steam really sucks at release time. I was in town today and saw Skyrim available in stores, too bad it would be a waste to pick it up as the Steam release isn't till friday night.

Fuck you Steam.......

I Love Steam otherwise, but sometimes.....

Sysgen

http://gamershavennews.com/2011/11/earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-hitting-steam/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-hitting-steam

D3Publisher has announced it’s to release Vicious Cycle’s Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon on Steam just in time for the holidays. The title will include all downloadable content released on consoles and will use Steam Cloud for saves and come with Steam achievements. Four new DLC weapon packs, one per armour class and with ten new weapons each, will also be made available for purchase. No word just yet on the price or exact date.

Wow, Early Christmas!

How was Insect Armageddon received by fans of the earlier titles?

confused said:
Sometimes Steam really sucks at release time. I was in town today and saw Skyrim available in stores, too bad it would be a waste to pick it up as the Steam release isn't till friday night.

Fuck you Steam.......

I Love Steam otherwise, but sometimes.....

Same happened to me with Space Marine *sigh*.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just remembered once more - after forgetting a handful of times - that I have no use for the HIB Steam key that activates The Binding of Isaac and Blocks That Matter.

As per usual, the first bird to quote this post gets the worm.

Edit: Given to Lime.

Lime

JaseC said:
I just remembered once more - after forgetting a handful of times - that I have no use for the HIB Steam key that activates The Binding of Isaac and Blocks That Matter.

As per usual, the first bird to quote this post gets the worm.

Me, me! Thanks in advance! :)

As much as LA Noire bored me to tears on the PS3, i was hoping for it to do good on Steam.

RDR never coming to Steam confirmed. Thats the way the execs think, LAN didnt sell so RDR wont either, why bother with PC versions :(

Helmholtz

zephervack said:
As much as LA Noire bored me to tears on the PS3, i was hoping for it to do good on Steam.

RDR never coming to Steam confirmed. Thats the way the execs think, LAN didnt sell so RDR wont either, why bother with PC versions :(
Ugh, I would kill for a PC version of RDR. I think it would have sold much better than LAN too. A damn shame.

PaulLFC

Nothing much new in the registry lately. There's some DLC for "SO QA" which looking at the info appears to be "Spec Ops: The Line" - so SO QA is probably a quality assurance build for testers or something. Day 1 DLC on the way by the looks of it...

Also some DLC for Sword of the Stars II, and two more bits of Magicka DLC.

Last one, Sideway: New York, the new game from SOE, is there too.

zephervack said:

Yep. Sadly they don't stop to think "wait, we released it in the same week as Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim... that might have something to do with it".

Smash88

Banned
Lime said:
Ugh, I had hoped Bethesda would have included higher resolution textures for the PC version of Skyrim. The install size tells me they didn't do that :(

I might wait on picking it up until mods have fixed it.

Isn't it 3.8GB on consoles and 5.3GB on PC? I would assume they are higher quality textures.

SteelAttack said:
Releasing LA Noire PC jammed between the buttocks of the biggest game of the year? Bad decision.

Buttocks? This is like the taint area, we still have Batman Arkham City and Assassin's Creed Revelations coming out in the last two weeks of November. Then we will truly be in the buttocks of the biggest games of the year.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Smash88 said:
Buttocks? This is like the taint area, we still have Batman Arkham City and Assassin's Creed Revelations coming out in the last two weeks of November. Then we will truly be in the buttocks of the biggest games of the year.

Maybe if Batman had its original release date still, before it was delayed again, then you'd have a point. An entire month isn't destroyed because a game comes out at the end of the month.

Valygar

That HIB giveaway reminded me I have a SpaceChem sitting ducks as well. To celebrate my (I think) member status granted by this post, I shall gift it!

First to quote, first to wait for my PM with the key!

PD: Damn, I'm no member (Thought it was 300 posts). I'll still gift it though :p

C_H_T

Valygar said:
That HIB giveaway reminded me I have a SpaceChem sitting ducks as well. To celebrate my (I think) member status granted by this post, I shall gift it!

First to quote, first to wait for my PM with the key!

PD: Damn, I'm no member (Thought it was 300 posts). I'll still gift it though :p
already have it. srry. May the next one get it, great game by the way.

Edit: I thought it was HIB.

Lime

JaseC said:

Awesome. As a token of appreciation, I hereby present a gif extravaganza in honor of the generous JaseC, our lord, saviour and overlord:

602315af-9d69-4ff9-86co88v.gif

20igyza8ak8q.gif

tumblr_lqkm4shrkf1qjvu0k99.gif

tumblr_lqkm4shrkf1qjvw0jqt.gif

tumblr_lqkm4shrkf1qjvu9ucd.gif

AEREC

TheExodu5 said:
Steam Stats

Code:
Current Players 	Peak Today 	  	Game
329 	                342 	  	        L.A.Noire

What were you thinking, Rockstar?

Thats odd...it was third in the top sellers on steam yesterday, I woudl think that woudl equate to thousands of people playing.

Maybe there are widespread issues that are keeping people from running the game, if the steam forums were working, we would know for sure.

MRORANGE

just my thoughts if your going to get MW3 on Steam:

MW3 PC review

So yeah it's that time of year again, once again I have bought into the COD franchise, so anyway here's a breakdown on how I found the
SP & MP.

Singleplayer

pretty much your 5 hour COD campaign, there is nothing new, just your standard jump off this skyscraper , survive crashing helicopters,
multiple car chases and of course shooting, which is great since I expect nothing more from the franchise. If you like the previous MW
campaigns you will feel right at home. I actually do have to applaud infintiy ward of wrapping up MW3 quite nicely considering the
clustterfuck of a story line that was MW2. Set pieces were great and really did show that your were part of a mass global war,
graphics looked great and was really optimized for various degree's of hardware.

HT7jT.jpg
ZcdUV.jpg

Multilplayer

Out of all the promises IW made, this makes me annoyed, as you know MW3 does have dedicated servers, but for some bizarre reason
it's unranked, this means you can only use the default kit given in the game in terms of perks and weapon choices, which is just plain
stupid. There are other nit's and grits such as weird/large iron sightings & juggernauts in mp but most people will have there own toothpick
problems with the game. In terms of comparison to mw2 multiplayer it is more balanced, I didn't spend half the time dying from helicopters
but i did notice the new point streak system is easier to rack up points for objectives. MW3 has opted for more MW1 style maps than the
closed off indoor MW2 maps, it's great knowing that they are almost no camping spots considering each space has two or more exits.
Overall nothing much has changed from MW2 except objectives can now count towards points and kill streaks are more balanced if you
like MW2/BO then you will most likely this game.

D41dL.jpg
0K8LU.jpg

Conclusion

MW3 is a good game and a a good game in the series, but does it deserve the praise or be awarded the GOTY ? not really. After 4 years
the multplayer formula is still the same, just that everything has to be unlocked now, it's hard to see how they can further advance the
gameplay . The pc version had so much going for it from promises from IW that it would have all the features of BO but as it stands out
there is no leaning and no gamepad support as well as gimped dedicated servers, IW could still redeem themselves if they
patched up the game, but from previous experience this is the final product we are getting. overall it's a game you can sink many
ours into with he co-op and multiplayer, it's just sad it's not given the support that BO was given on PC.

7.5/10 (because GAF likes scores rather than text.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stallion Free said:
They weren't.

I would like to see some proper screens though and with everyone playing other things, chances of that happening are looking slim.

I'll try and get to that, provided I can install the game before Skyrim unlocks. I was downloading DCU Online, pre-loading Skyrim and installing LA Noire last night. Just left my machine running, don't know how far along those got.

morningbus

Yeah, Evilore came down pretty hard on it and has suggested that all discussion of keys bought from region exploiting resellers only be discussed in that thread.

So, basically, it's no better than 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Joe Molotov

AEREC said:
Thats odd...it was third in the top sellers on steam yesterday, I woudl think that woudl equate to thousands of people playing.

Maybe there are widespread issues that are keeping people from running the game, if the steam forums were working, we would know for sure.

Well, for one thing there was no preload and it's 12 GB.

1-D_FTW

SteelAttack said:
Releasing LA Noire PC jammed between the buttocks of the biggest game of the year? Bad decision.

I think anything short of a day 1 release on PC would have been death.

Read the writeup Rock, Paper, Shotgun did this morning and remembered why I had zero interest in ever buying it. If you're going to hold a game that long, it better not have horrible word-of-mouth behind it.

Or at least try and pull a fast one and price at 19.99 so people impulse buy without thinking too hard.

morningbus

Chavelo said:
No need to apologize, I wondering myself what's going on with NeoGAF and moderation this week. :-/

The CD key move is smart. There are too many concerns with how these companies operate for them to be bandied about like they're Amazon.com. If a person is interested, and is willing to assume the risks - something, I should add, that is usually never disclosed when someone recommends a CD-key reseller - then they have that thread to discuss the deal.

AEREC said:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if many times #3 only equates to like 1 to 2k in sales, with the exception being when there's 3-4 huge releases at the same time (usually during the Fall, like MW3 and Skyrim now). I have a feeling this is one of the reasons why they don't make the numbers public because it wouldn't look good at all. Bottom of the top 10 is probably a few hundred...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom