• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy said:
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if many times #3 only equates to like 1 to 2k in sales, with the exception being when there's 3-4 huge releases at the same time (usually during the Fall, like MW3 and Skyrim now). I have a feeling this is one of the reasons why they don't make the numbers public because it wouldn't look good at all. Bottom of the top 10 is probably a few hundred...

In L.A. Noire's case as sad as the number posted above is, I'm sure that the number of players does not equal the number of sales. Many developers and publishers have made their early Steam numbers public, many of which were in the top 10 and not "huge" releases with 6 figure sales numbers.

Blizzard

Banned
Ceebs said:
Has there been any ETA on the Steam Forums going back up?
Valve is not a company that typically tells people what's going on, as far as I know, so my guess is that the forums will be back up before they do some sort of announcement.

amdnv

Blizzard said:
Valve is not a company that typically tells people what's going on, as far as I know, so my guess is that the forums will be back up before they do some sort of announcement.
And even if they did give us an ETA, it would have to be translated into Valve Time™, which can be very difficult to calculate.

I almost want to buy rage for the silly sale title.

really dont need more games I wont play right away. Still getting through steam summer sale games.

Chavelo

LastWindow said:
Ah, I didn't realize they changed how you add friends. Are you the one with Woody from Toy Story as your avatar?

Edit: Didn't see your edit haha

tumblr_ls7nrl40RR1qcjokg.gif

You're a gentlemen and a scholar!

Heavy said:
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if many times #3 only equates to like 1 to 2k in sales, with the exception being when there's 3-4 huge releases at the same time (usually during the Fall, like MW3 and Skyrim now). I have a feeling this is one of the reasons why they don't make the numbers public because it wouldn't look good at all. Bottom of the top 10 is probably a few hundred...

(Excuse me if I didn't understand you well but) Why the hell would Valve make the number of sold units public? It's not their games, they can't make this kind of decision, it's up to publishers if they want to share this kind of data or not.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
TheExodu5 said:
Steam Stats

Code:
Current Players 	Peak Today 	  	Game
329 	                342 	  	        L.A.Noire

What were you thinking, Rockstar?
How long until Rockstar goes "oh shit" and then starts porting Red Dead Redemption?

AEREC

drizzle said:
How long until Rockstar goes "oh shit" and then starts porting Red Dead Redemption?

uhh, never...poor sales of one game on a platform will not encourage them to release another game on the same platform.

Even though everyone wants it.

KScorp

angular graphics said:
(Excuse me if I didn't understand you well but) Why the hell would Valve make the number of sold units public? It's not their games, they can't make this kind of decision, it's up to publishers if they want to share this kind of data or not.
I thought Valve doesn't let publishers release numbers either.

ArjanN

AEREC said:
uhh, never...poor sales of one game on a platform will not encourage them to release another game on the same platform.

Even though everyone wants it.

As I understand it the Steam version of LA Noire doesn't work yet, so the number of people playing it doesn't mean much.

MRORANGE said:
MW3 PC review

Umm.. kind of an incomplete review without mentioning spec ops, that's like at least a third of the game for me.

Xena

Don't know if anyone can help, but here it goes. I can't seem to run Mass Effect 1 from Steam.

A few weeks ago I made a clean install of my Win7 on my AsusG73Jh.

Before that, I could play Mass Effect 1 just fine on Steam (which is where I bought it). But after I had to install it again on this fresh start, the game won't even load. I click "play" and it asks if I want to play or go to support info, I chose play and nothing else happens at all.

If I go to binaries folder which has Mass Effect exe it works from there, but if I try to load it from Steam it doesn't.

I was searching on google, and I did the common "run as admin" on Steam and ME icons but nothing change. At one point I installed the update for the game, which apparently is not downloaded automatically from Steam for whatever reason. Didn't work.

I know I'm being a pain, after all the game does work outside Steam. But still I'd like to try to make it work as it should (and as it did before I wiped it clean)

I was trying to go to Steam forums but apparently it isn't working or something...

Lime

Xena said:
Don't know if anyone can help, but here it goes. I can't seem to run Mass Effect 1 from Steam.

A few weeks ago I made a clean install of my Win7 on my AsusG73Jh.

Before that, I could play Mass Effect 1 just fine on Steam (which is where I bought it). But after I had to install it again on this fresh start, the game won't even load. I click "play" and it asks if I want to play or go to support info, I chose play and nothing else happens at all.

If I go to binaries folder which has Mass Effect exe it works from there, but if I try to load it from Steam it doesn't.

I was searching on google, and I did the common "run as admin" on Steam and ME icons but nothing change. At one point I installed the update for the game, which apparently is not downloaded automatically from Steam for whatever reason. Didn't work.

I know I'm being a pain, after all the game does work outside Steam. But still I'd like to try to make it work as it should (and as it did before I wiped it clean)

I was trying to go to Steam forums but apparently it isn't working or something...

Right click on the game in Steam -> Properties -> Local Files -> Check File Integrity. Run game after that.

Cmagus

Well they also release LA.Noire on PC during Battlefield, MW3 and Skyrim it isn't a big shock it isn't selling that well.I'm gonna pick it up at some point when I get through my backlog.

Tomodachi

Actually Take-Two revealed today that they had huge profits from L.A. Noire. I haven't played it yet unfortunately, I'm just saying (read it on joystiq this morning if you want to read further).
I think the launch window was really messed up from their part.

IMACOMPUTA

[EDIT] Thanks Coopolon! He's taking care of it for me.
So...
I have a favor to ask.
Perhaps a shot in the dark..

I read that if you have IGN Prime you can get Skyrim on D2D for $45.86

Would anyone be willing to gift it to me and I'll pay you via Paypal?

TekDragon

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
So...
I have a favor to ask.
Perhaps a shot in the dark..

I read that if you have IGN Prime you can get Skyrim on D2D for $45.86

Would anyone be willing to gift it to me and I'll pay you via Paypal?

In on this as well. I don't mind doing the PayPal first.

coopolon

I can help people out with Direct2Drive IGN Prime Skyrim tonight. PM me if you want it gifted for $45.86 and can paypal.

Edit: Sorry everyone, I can't help anyone else out tonight, D2D only lets you buy 3 things in a certain period of time and I've already promised it to 4 people!

Blizzard

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
L.A. Noire isn't selling because it's pretty shit. Sorry, guys.
Huh? At its full, not-on-sale $50 price, it's outselling everything on Steam besides MW3 (to be expected), Skyrim (pretty much to be expected again), and RAGE (temporarily on sale).

Now, no one may be able to run the Steam version, but as long as the Steam forums are down and Valve doesn't say anything, we'll never know for sure if it's a widespread problem, I guess. =P

Sober

Blizzard said:
Huh? At its full, not-on-sale $50 price, it's outselling everything on Steam besides MW3 (to be expected), Skyrim (pretty much to be expected again), and RAGE (temporarily on sale).
I'm guessing most people don't know how to read the Top Sellers list on Steam :p

Now, no one may be able to run the Steam version, but as long as the Steam forums are down and Valve doesn't say anything, we'll never know for sure if it's a widespread problem, I guess. =P
Rockstar-funded hacker attack on the Steam forums just in time for LA Noire's release on Steam? /tinfoilhat

Joe Molotov

Blizzard said:

They only had an extra 6 months to work on the PC version, you can't expect a lot of fancy bells and whistles like be able to boot up the game.

dLMN8R

LA Noire will probably do pretty well in post-release sales. There wasn't really any good time between now and a couple months from now to put it up there, so they probably just figured to release it when it's ready and see how it goes. There aren't many people playing it, but it seems to have still sold decently well.

Red Dead will probably never come to PC, if only because the code is supposedly a mess and it's a miracle it worked at all on consoles. At this point it's too late to worry about it - hopefully Rockstar gets GTA V on PC in pretty short order, without GFW Live.

Smash88

Banned
Cevzs.jpg

I know we all know about this sale, but seriously extinction? The thing would've caused a 3 mile crater, not the end of the world. Hyperbole much?

Also Rage is probably worth $10 tops. Should've had a $10 almost dying sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom