• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Togglesworlh said:
But I'm one of the few who DOESN'T bug them at every opportunity. I'm happy just waiting until it's ready! Why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy meeeeeeeeeeeeee. ):

So you have bugged them at least once? Then you're guilty!

vTjejl.jpg

PaulLFC said:
Right, either I'm not explaining my point well enough (probably that), or people are getting the wrong idea. So I'll try and explain it a bit better.

Lets say we have a bundle that costs $10, and includes 5 games. Person A owns no games in the bundle, pays $10, gets 5 games. This is correct. Person B already owns one of the games in the bundle. Person B pays $10, and gets 4 games. This is where I have an issue. Why shouldn't Person B get 5 games as well, and have the "extra" copy of the game they already own to gift? After all, they've paid the same price for the bundle as everybody else.
The bundle isn't meant for you, it's meant for "new" customers. There are a few layers of abstraction but basically the discount is based upon how "new" you are, and Steam is far from the only retailer that does this.
Why would anybody support not getting a copy of a game you already own when you buy a bundle? I fully support Steam and buy many games through the service, but it's inconceivable how many anti-consumer practices are swept under the rug by fanboy apologists.
The negative and/or anti-consumer results, legal and taxation issues included, of creating an entire secondary market should be obvious.

bigace33

Of All Trades said:
The bundle isn't meant for you, it's meant for "new" customers. There are a few layers of abstraction but basically the discount is based upon how "new" you are, and Steam is far from the only retailer that does this.
The bundle isn't meant for him? It's for sale to the general public. Its meant for anyone to buy and I agree that the consumer should get everything in the bundle as advertised. Or adjust the price accordingly.

svegis

Togglesworlh said:
hurrayyyyy i woke up to my steam categories having disappeared for the fifth fucking time

i'm not doing it again never ever again fffuuucckkk

Unless someone knows how I can back them up in case it happens again?

I haven't gotten around to try it out yet, but I do recall people saying that backing up "x:\installdir\Steam\userdata\3369298\7\" ought to work. The numbers after userdata might be unique. So, hopefully that fixes it for you.

bigace33 said:
The bundle isn't meant for him? It's for sale to the general public. Its meant for anyone to buy and I agree that the consumer should get everything in the bundle as advertised. Or adjust the price accordingly.
You do get everything that's advertised: Your account will be authorized to download the games listed in that bundle. As for price adjustments, GoG does that and has yet to have a discount on their games as severe as Steam has, so there is reasonable evidence to assume that a similar practice on Steam would result in the end of those bundles.

Alternatively you can pretend that the price is being adjusted, you just can't see it because you're saving 1/100 of a penny on each duplicated item and it rounds up to the same price.

Being on sale to the general public means nothing.

bender said:
Bejeweled 3 is tempting but I think I'll hold off for the holiday sale. I've purchased way too many games lately.
It wasn't on sale last year by itself, but the Popcap Complete Pack was 50% off if you're interested in that.

svegis said:
I haven't gotten around to try it out yet, but I do recall people saying that backing up "x:\installdir\Steam\userdata\3369298\7\" ought to work. The numbers after userdata might be unique. So, hopefully that fixes it for you.
hummmmm

I suppose I can try one more time.

jediyoshi

bigace33 said:
Are you actually not seeing beyond the literal interpretation of what he's saying? The difference between being for someone and their ability to buy it? It figuratively isn't for him because why would you buy something you already have access to, unless you think they were under the impression that people would be jumping at the chance to throw money at them.

PaulLFC said:
Lets say we have a bundle that costs $10, and includes 5 games. Person A owns no games in the bundle, pays $10, gets 5 games. This is correct. Person B already owns one of the games in the bundle. Person B pays $10, and gets 4 games. This is where I have an issue. Why shouldn't Person B get 5 games as well, and have the "extra" copy of the game they already own to gift? After all, they've paid the same price for the bundle as everybody else.
The games are a package deal. I can't buy 3 of 4 games in Super Mario All-Stars and give Super Mario Bros. 2 to someone else--I'll just end up with 2 versions of SMB2 sitting around. Steam could make us feel like we're getting more for our money by double-listing it in our virtual shelves, but it's bad enough that Civilization IV does that already.

froliq

Togglesworlh said:
hurrayyyyy i woke up to my steam categories having disappeared for the fifth fucking time

i'm not doing it again never ever again fffuuucckkk

Unless someone knows how I can back them up in case it happens again?
Save yourself some scrolling through all those games and use the search function instead of categories!

I actually switched to this method just a few months ago. Can't understand why I never bothered before.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Quick question, any way for me to see how much I paid for Humble Bundles in the past without having to sort through my credit card statements? The amount doesn't show up in my emails like they do in the Indie Royale bundles or regular Steam purchases.

Tomodachi

Categories? I'm sure all I've been doing in the last few decades of my life is right click on Steam tray icon => Skyrim.
What are those "categories" you're all talking about? YOU MEAN THERE ARE OTHER GAMES OUT THERE?

svegis

Togglesworlh said:
hummmmm

I suppose I can try one more time.

Aye, I remember now, last time I heard about it, I did open the .vdf and check the contents, and well, at least my categories are there by name, so hopefully it'll sort it out! I'm switching computers soon so we'll see.

Edit: By the .vdf I mean, sharedconfig.vdf.

Tomodachi said:
Categories? I'm sure all I've been doing in the last few decades of my life is right click on Steam tray icon => Skyrim.
What are those "categories" you're all talking about? YOU MEAN THERE ARE OTHER GAMES OUT THERE?

Windows 7 also has a "pin this game" feature for the Steam start menu item, as well as listing recent games. I've got a decent collection, 234 games, but this category nonsense just seems like madness to me.

jim-jam bongs said:
Windows 7 also has a "pin this game" feature for the Steam start menu item, as well as listing recent games. I've got a decent collection, 234 games, but this category nonsense just seems like madness to me.
I've got a similar amount and don't bother with categories, either. It's not like I'm playing most of them simultaneously, so switching between the "Installed" list to find a game, and the "Recently Played" to get back to it in the near future is enough.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I've got a similar amount and don't bother with categories, either. It's not like I'm playing most of them simultaneously, so switching between the "Installed" list to find a game, and the "Recently Played" to get back to it in the near future is enough.

Same here, yeah. I mean, I understand the appeal of organising things neatly and clearly, my anal-retentive nature is one of the reasons I enjoy programming so much. With Steam though I'm fairly content to divide games into two categories; stuff I am playing and stuff I am not.

I've gotten rid of most of my categories and just keep one for adventure games, one for TellTale, and then the default Games for everything else.

Peagles

I'm not whinging about the duplicates thing... More that SMB website said:

"I have some of the games in the bundle but not all...WHAT DO I DO?

Simple, just gift the duplicate games to friends. It's good to give!"

But then Steam was all like computer says no when I got to the checkout.

Fake edit: Looks like SMB website has retracted the statement above?

froliq said:
Save yourself some scrolling through all those games and use the search function instead of categories!

I actually switched to this method just a few months ago. Can't understand why I never bothered before.
That's great when I'm looking for a specific game, and I use it frequently.

But I'm not always looking for a specific game.

Xena

I don't remember very well, since last year was the first I spent splurging on steam deals, but... does Steam have a Thanksgiving sale? If so, does it usually start on Thursday or black Friday?

Xena said:
I don't remember very well, since last year was the first I spent splurging on steam deals, but... does Steam have a Thanksgiving sale? If so, does it usually start on Thursday or black Friday?

Last year they had one which started Thursday, I believe. It was the "Give & Get" sale where they awarded people games on their wishlists as random prizes. Not sure if they refer to it as Thanksgiving as that's US only, but the principle is the same.

BertleTheTurtle said:
It wasn't on sale last year by itself, but the Popcap Complete Pack was 50% off if you're interested in that.

yeah Bejeweled NEVER goes on sale (except for now) so i think i might have to jump on it finally... been waiting a long time for it!

Xena

jim-jam bongs said:
Last year they had one which started Thursday, I believe. It was the "Give & Get" sale where they awarded people games on their wishlists as random prizes. Not sure if they refer to it as Thanksgiving as that's US only, but the principle is the same.
I see! Thanks for the response. I hope they do something similar next week!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Last year, the Black Friday deals started the day before Thanksgiving, or was it on Thanksgiving?

I sort my games by MP, MP controller, SP, SP Controller.

My two cents on Hydrophobia: Prophecy: I kind of liked what I got to play, but I stopped because of a bug that won't let me get an achievement. I'd have to delete the save file and begin again, and I have way too many games in my backlog right now... For the asking price, I'd say it's worth it, definitely not the best game out there but the water effects are neat and the campaign can be completed in a day or two, so it's great for a weekend or while you wait for the Black Friday sale.

Mrbob

The boost TF2 items give other games in pre sales never stops to amaze me.

Trine 2 back in the top 10 with TF2 items added as a pre order bonus.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's a hell of a lot of content. I got it for $12.50 direct from THQ back in Feb.

I wouldn't get Retribution until there is a sale on an all-DLC package.

Bumhead

Banned
Indecision time. Got £30 of my monthly gaming budget left. Do I buy Skyrim now, or leave Skyrim until December and use that £30 to buy Sonic Generations, Waves and Super Meat Boy while it's on sale? (Three games I do want)

Basically a "Skyrim vs 3 games and a 10 day wait for Skyrim". Not sure which would be the best option at this point.

Indecision time. Got £30 of my monthly gaming budget left. Do I buy Skyrim now, or leave Skyrim until December and use that £30 to buy Sonic Generations, Waves and Super Meat Boy while it's on sale? (Three games I do want)

Basically a "Skyrim vs 3 games and a 10 day wait for Skyrim". Not sure which would be the best option at this point.

I would buy Skyrim and get the others in the Christmas sale. Skyrim should actually keep you occupied 'til then.

Blizzard

Banned
My two cents on Hydrophobia: Prophecy: I kind of liked what I got to play, but I stopped because of a bug that won't let me get an achievement. I'd have to delete the save file and begin again, and I have way too many games in my backlog right now... For the asking price, I'd say it's worth it, definitely not the best game out there but the water effects are neat and the campaign can be completed in a day or two, so it's great for a weekend or while you wait for the Black Friday sale.
Yeah, for a couple of bucks I think it's a kind of interesting game with the water effects and whatnot, despite potential bugs and campiness. I probably got it on sale whenever I bought it, and didn't regret it for what it's worth.

As for Skyrim, I guess it depends on whether you like playing when everyone else is hyped and playing, or whether you don't mind being late to the party. The benefit of being late is you might get patches and mods, but even pretty much vanilla several people have been enjoying the game, apparently.

And by "several" I mean "over 200,000 people are simultaneously playing on Steam again and unless they're masochistic presumably they like something about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom