• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarosh

Yeah, they don't add the right shortcut when you add that stuff through Steam. You'll need to get the correct "Target" and "Start in" info yourself, which is fortunately easy. So, say you want to get The Last Express or whatever running through Steam. Add that to Steam, then go start menu, all programs, into your GoG folder of TLE and right-click the GoG shortcut of TLE in there. Go into properties, copy everything in "Target," then go into properties of the Steam shortcut version of TLE, paste over whatever is in "Target" there. Do the same thing for "Start in" and you should be all set. Simple!

Thanks! I actually only had the "Start in" part wrong for some reason. And I thought Steam couldn't handle the parameters at all. Good stuff.

HoosTrax

Welp, that can be huge for Steam.

One of the things I don't like about Steam is that they randomly reject indie games for no good reason. Theoretically, this will eliminate this, since this could be effectively a Steam Workshop for indie games.
I heard that they brought a bunch of indie devs up to Seattle to have them sound off and get input on issues like this.

Sounds like a better solution than the one I assumed they would implement (just hiring more staff to help the dude who has to sort through all the Minecraft clones to find worthwhile stuff to put on Steam).

Btw, whatever happened with To The Moon? Are they working out RPGMaker/Steam integration issues?

Dascu

Can I post my game concept or early builds?

Absolutely! We encourage you to post information about your game as early in the development process as you are comfortable with. Greenlight will let you define whether you are posting your game as a concept/early build or as a playable game that is nearing completion.

We ask that you only define your game as 'playable game' if you have a playable build that demonstrates the gameplay mechanics and at least one level of your game. Otherwise, please classify your submission as 'concept' until its far enough along that the community can reasonably evaluate the mechanics, scope, and style of your game. Either way, you will probably get great feedback and a good start in building a community of fans around your game.
Heck, it's like some sort of Kickstarter equivalent.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thank gawd, end of August is when my next game is looking to be released too. Whew!

Maybe I should put the Oil Blue on there so I can get rejected a record fourth time. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Welp, that can be huge for Steam.

One of the things I don't like about Steam is that they randomly reject indie games for no good reason. Theoretically, this will eliminate this, since this could be effectively a Steam Workshop for indie games.

[Edit] Preview page up already
I just looked through the preview page, and this is awesome news. Someone make a thread! It sounds like it will even help people get feedback before releasing games (even if that feedback is of the raging sort common on the Steam forums :p).

HoosTrax

I just looked through the preview page, and this is awesome news. Someone make a thread! It sounds like it will even help people get feedback before releasing games (even if that feedback is of the raging sort common on the Steam forums :p).
Agreed, I know that there are some GAF-Devs who this would be of interest to.

Twinduct

Oh god I feel sorry for Notch :/
He's going to be spammed like a mofo to submit his game.

Awesome idea though. Really hope they highlight this service on the frontpage constantly. Greelit Bundle would be awesome!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, at least most of the recurring indie titles with steam holiday achievements are already in my library so I guess I'll be getting some tickets.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thank gawd, end of August is when my next game is looking to be released too. Whew!

Maybe I should put the Oil Blue on there so I can get rejected a record fourth time. :D

DO IT

HoosTrax

I never realized that it was you that made that. Been really curious about it, you definitely have my vote if you put it up there.

kadotsu

Banned
This is really new thread worthy: Steam Greenlight announced, lets gamers vote indie games on to Steam

HUGE news for indies everywhere :)

Steam needs some sort of peer/crowd approval process for very small indie games. They could have 3 slots a month and the community (weighted by number of purchases, influence, hours spend on steam library etc) could upvote them with $0.50 tokens or some other small incentive that prevents voting fraud like limiting free tokens to a fixed number per quarter for verified accounts.

It's like Valve has good ideas way before I have them. What an nice company.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I figured now was a good time to go through Thief Deadly Shadows again for the first time in years. Any tips, recommendations, complaints? I've played all the Thief games but not as much as other classics or other stealth games so I can't say I remember them too much. I'll be looking for the others during the steam sale.

Level 3 still sucks

Wok

It would be epic if Valve postpones the sale to the 13th to troll everyone.

Imagine the rage on the SPUF. Well, on the whole Internet indeed. I believe Internet would go down on the 12th.

I did not know that. Tell me more.

Edit: This must be it.
"Liquisity 2 (Coming Soon!) - A different kind of platformer, spanning multiple aquariums in a serene setting. Coming later this year!"

Maybe I should put the Oil Blue on there
Put it there and steam GAF will have your back :)
you definitely have my vote if you put it up there.
Ridiculous. You have my vote when the time comes

Indie Royale opened my eyes. Please do it.

Lancehead

So I figured now was a good time to go through Thief Deadly Shadows again for the first time in years. Any tips, recommendations, complaints? I've played all the Thief games but not as much as other classics or other stealth games so I can't say I remember them too much. I'll be looking for the others during the steam sale.

Overall a good game, but scope of the levels was smaller than the first two games. The items (weapons and such) could've been better. The first person mode didn't feel as good as the first two games. Shalebridge Cradle was awesome.

Interfectum

ehh this worries me a little bit - a game like Isaac would have never been 'greenlit' with that rule

Isn't that game on Steam now? Why would you worry.

You realize Valve is opening up submissions to everyone on the internet. Something offensive would be a goat rape simulator, not Isaac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom