• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Sup dudes i just realized that i can download free to play games now (Got a 6Mb connection) so what do you guys recommend? Is there any F2P RTS?
Im currently downloading Team Fortress 2. (Im a total steam newbie so i dont know if this is the right thread)

Oh lordy, free-to-play is a becoming a deep, dark, scary hole. It was so much easier when the games were terrible and easy to ignore.

Aside from the already-mentioned games, on Steam there's Super Monday Night Combat, Star Trek Online, DC Universe Online, Champions Online, Spiral Knights, Bloodline Champions, Rusty Hearts, Dota 2 (if you can get an invite), and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (also requires an invite)

Outside of Steam there's:
Tribes: Ascend
Blacklight Retribution
Lord of the Rings Online
Dungeons and Dragons Online

Vindictus
Dragon Nest
I think AirMech is available to play now if you use Chrome and should be available for PC soon. (It's like an expanded version of Herzog Zwei, if you remember that old Genesis game)

if you like MOBAs (like DOTA) there's:
League of Legends
Heroes of Newerth,
Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes

It's not a complete list by any means, but the ones I've either played and liked (bolded), or found some interest in.

I think Perfect World alone has at least ten F2P games since they acquired Cryptic (including Star Trek Online, Champions Online, Blacklight Retribution, and Neverwinter) and most of them seem worth a look. Crazy.

Megasoum

Banned
So the Lunar Flight dev said on twitter today that the game will be part of a Space themed indie bundle on steam at the end of the month. I wonder what we will get for the rest of the bundle.

HoosTrax

So the Lunar Flight dev said on twitter today that the game will be part of a Space themed indie bundle on steam at the end of the month. I wonder what we will get for the rest of the bundle.
Moonbase Alpha, I'm guessing. Maybe SpaceChem?

Edit: Oh wait, Moonbase Alpha is free. I didn't realize that until now...

Why don't you people tell me stuff like this huh?! *downloads*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
when is jet set/grind radio HD coming anyway?

I think sometime in the middle of Summer. Likely E3 will give an official date.

I am keeping expectations low, which will be exceeded if there is actually an option to change the resolution. Doubly so if I can actually put the game in wide screen.

Salsa

I think sometime in the middle of Summer. Likely E3 will give an official date.

I am keeping expectations low, which will be exceeded if there is actually an option to change the resolution. Doubly so if I can actually put the game in wide screen.

Sonic CD was pretty ace, thought it was developed with a partner right?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, Sega didn't really make Sonic CD. I am expecting the same people who did the Sonic Adventure port port port port to do it.

Salsa

Yeah, Sega didn't really make Sonic CD. I am expecting the same people who did the Sonic Adventure port port port port to do it.

ew

that was part of a pack though and didnt recieve this kind of promotion. hopes arent that high but its gotta be better than that

Steam beta:

- Remote management of your games library through the web or mobile device
- Reduced excessive system memory usage while downloading updates in some cases
- Added debug code to diagnose download issues

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2679418

Remote Downloads are enabled from any web browser when you leave the Steam application running on your PC or Mac. Of course, we only recommend you do this on your own private, secured computer.

When you’re logged into Steam on your home PC or Mac, you can manage your library by visiting your Games list on the web.

• Visit your Games list by navigating to the Community and then clicking GAMES in the secondary navigation bar. If you’re logged into the Steam client, the games list will reflect the installation state of your library on that machine.
  • Locate your game and tap the install button to initiate your remote download.

You may choose to refresh this page to check the current status of your installation. When you return to your active client session, your game will be ready to play!

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6324-IGHC-5301

Joe Molotov

If only there was remote log-in, haha. Sometimes I'll be logged in at work and be like "Crap, I wish this game was downloading now at home so I could play it when I get home."

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm, what practical purpose would that serve?

I always leave my steam logged in at home... now when I buy stuff on the app or on the website from work (like I do most of the time) I will now be able to start the downloads so the game will be ready by the time I get back home.

ShaneB

Now they just need to add remote play so people can actually play games instead of just buying them and downloading them! :p

neoism

guys I need help. I have a Readon 5870 but the drivers are old... like 10. something. I just tried to use the update driver think in steam, and it started to download. I've been able to play most games, and the only trouble I every got was in BF3 the ground had textures squares and shit, but otherwise ran fine. Well in the middle of installing, it had a crash error, and made my resolution all fucked up, and stuff. I think i tried to install 12.4.... The only thing i can think of is do I have to have Service Pack 1 win 7 64-bit to use those drivers.... I've tried to install that update but it just errors and really fucks my computer up. I got it from IBUYPOWER, it had Win7 64bit Home premium. I verified it was real.. so I'm not sure what the hell to do. I really want to be ready for D3 even though I played the beta and it worked great. So anyone know what I should do...????

Thanks for the help.. I didnt know what thread to ask so I just used this one!

I always leave my steam logged in at home... now when I buy stuff on the app or on the website from work (like I do most of the time) I will now be able to start the downloads so the game will be ready by the time I get back home.
really? game with no preload comes out at a certain time, im at work/class/whatever, i start the download from my celphone and by the time i get back home im ready to play.
I know what it does, I just would consider that a quirky convenience over being practical. Semantics, I suppose?

Of course, 90% or so of my Steam purchases are indie games, so I've never had to "wait out" an installation. :)

Joe Molotov

I know what it does, I just would consider that a quirky convenience over being practical. Semantics, I suppose?

Of course, 90% or so of my Steam purchases are indie games, so I've never had to "wait out" an installation. :)

Nothing about videogames is practical, man.

Adnor

Banned
New free DLC for Dungeons of Dredmor announced:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/04...-dredmor-you-have-to-name-the-expansion-pack/

Gaslamp Games Blog said:
Expanded Features

Steam Workshop; mod integration with Steam! We’re turning it on! It’s Steamy!
Battle Geology, a wizard-like warrior skill with earth-shattering consequences by the terribly mysterious Null (how mysterious? terribly.)
Clockwork Knight and Rogue Scientist, a pair of crafty steampunk skill lines by the too-clever-by-half Ruigi
Warlockery, the wizard skill for wizards who would rather by warriors, by the utterly mad Essence — he wrote over 500 lines of xml for one spell.
A mess of twisty little rooms, all different, created by the deranged architect our mortal speech renders “Bergstrom“; The geometry is all wrong.
And to inhabit the renovated Dungeons of Dredmor we’ve summoned a pack of new monster variations dug up by one FaxCelestis, from the existentially troubling Poorly Cloned Hero to the lofty Diggle Rocketeer.
Naturally there are some new items and other such nonsense happening which you’ll have to discover on your own

DTKT

guys I need help. I have a Readon 5870 but the drivers are old... like 10. something. I just tried to use the update driver think in steam, and it started to download. I've been able to play most games, and the only trouble I every got was in BF3 the ground had textures squares and shit, but otherwise ran fine. Well in the middle of installing, it had a crash error, and made my resolution all fucked up, and stuff. I think i tried to install 12.4.... The only thing i can think of is do I have to have Service Pack 1 win 7 64-bit to use those drivers.... I've tried to install that update but it just errors and really fucks my computer up. I got it from IBUYPOWER, it had Win7 64bit Home premium. I verified it was real.. so I'm not sure what the hell to do. I really want to be ready for D3 even though I played the beta and it worked great. So anyone know what I should do...????

Thanks for the help.. I didnt know what thread to ask so I just used this one!

Here is a direct link to the current drivers for your card and Windows 64bit.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-4_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

Download and execute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom