• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Dredmor's hard. Or at least, it can be tricky to find a build that lives through the first floor.

So far, Psionics has been the most useful skill I've found. Crowd control with telekinesis, damage with pyrokinesis.

I'm very tempted to get the expansion. BUT IT'S THREE WHOLE DOLLARS AND IT MIGHT BE ON SALE SOON and somehow this seems like a reasonable position to take.

I hope that beta will stop steam from locking up everything for 2 or so minutes when Dota updates.

Does that happen to you too?? It's been doing that to me ever since I got into the beta and it's been bugging the heck out of me. Every Wednesday and Thursday it just kills my computer.

Remote downloading is neat but it's baffling that they would implement this before other basic download manager functions like throttling or download scheduling/queuing.

Card Boy

Banned
I hope that beta will stop steam from locking up everything for 2 or so minutes when Dota updates.

Does that happen to you too?? It's been doing that to me ever since I got into the beta and it's been bugging the heck out of me. Every Wednesday and Thursday it just kills my computer.

I thought i was the only one this happened to aswell. Guess i delete the game it actually goes out of beta. I have given up on DOTA games. I sold my LoL and HoN accounts aswell for $50 a piece afew months ago.

I can't play a game anymore where no matter how good i do my team always stuffs it up for me. The game was just making me angry and i don't need that in my life.

I thought i was the only one this happened to aswell. Guess i delete the game it actually goes out of beta. I have given up on DOTA games. I sold my LoL and HoN accounts aswell for $50 a piece afew months ago.

I can't play a game anymore where no matter how good i do my team always stuffs it up for me. The game was just making me angry and i don't need that in my life.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one.

wutwutwut

Dota 2 uses the new content system. The way it works is that whatever files are going to be changed are copied over (into the "temp" directory in Steam\steamapps), then the downloaded patch applied to them, then the files are moved back. The copying over takes time and hard disk space though.

What they probably should be looking at, at least on Windows Vista and 7, is using Transactional NTFS to make atomic updates.

Is there a way to turn off achievements in Steam? I've been looking all through the settings tonight and haven't been able to find anything for it.

Ledsen

Remote downloading is neat but it's baffling that they would implement this before other basic download manager functions like throttling or download scheduling/queuing.

This is the downside to Valve's lack of structure. I guess someone thought remote downloading was more fun to work on.

Is there a way to turn off achievements in Steam? I've been looking all through the settings tonight and haven't been able to find anything for it.

You mean stop them from popping-up? (Settings/ In-Game/ uncheck Enable Steam Community)

I took them off because it was just a quick notification, I wish it was more of a
*ding* achievement like on the PS3.

Download scheduling/queuing would be very useful, especially after a format. Or after buying a new PC, which I'll be doing very soon. But this remote download function will help.

svegis

If only there was remote log-in, haha. Sometimes I'll be logged in at work and be like "Crap, I wish this game was downloading now at home so I could play it when I get home."

Joe, I assume you know this, but if the computer is running at home you can remote to that one and then start Steam. Easiest done with regular Remote Desktop(RDP), TeamViewer or RealVNC. That is of course, assuming the computer you use Steam on would be running regardless.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As a heads up, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club released on the companies official site 4-5 days ago and the game is starting to pop up on other digital store sites this morning. I think it's likely Cherry Tree High Comedy Club will be releasing onto Steam today.

http://youtu.be/08pItQiNBv4

Official English trailer.

ShaneB

Joe, I assume you know this, but if the computer is running at home you can remote to that one and then start Steam. Easiest done with regular Remote Desktop(RDP), TeamViewer or RealVNC. That is of course, assuming the computer you use Steam on would be running regardless.

Yeah, I just wish Teamviewer when I'm at work to use my home laptop and just download things that way. But perhaps that is archaic compared to those fancy phone apps that people seem to like.

Meh.

Volcynika

As a heads up, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club released on the companies official site 4-5 days ago and the game is starting to pop up on other digital store sites this morning. I think it's likely Cherry Tree High Comedy Club will be releasing onto Steam today.

It most likely won't be releasing on Steam today. They said it's queued after eXceed, which still isn't up.

Baha

Really?

Volcynika said:
It most likely won't be releasing on Steam today. They said it's queued after eXceed, which still isn't up.

Fuck. :(

Milamber

So I opted in the Steam beta & restarted it. its been stuck at downloading 58% for over an hour now. I wanna play my Pripyat, dammit!

MRORANGE

Gabe Newell: "We are not announcing anything at E3

Forum member tabernumse has posted an e-mail response he has received from Gabe Newell with regards to plans at E3.

"We are not announcing anything at E3. Really. We are not announcing Half-Life 3 or Portal 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. We are going to be showing stuff everyone already knows about (CS:Go, Dota 2, 10' UI, ...)"

For those unsure on the legitimacy of this correspondence with Gabe, we have personally been forwarded the email, video evidence and further confirmation from Gabe.

vall03

I just hope we get both eXceed and Cherry Tree High at the same time and I can still patiently wait for both games...

damn you Capcom!

MRORANGE

That's thread worthy (the Gabe thing)

done.

oh and one more thing for today:

http://boneyardbrew.deviantart.com/art/Windows-8-Steam-Skin-1-0-292419787

cmdsB.png

looks kinda cool if you like the metro UI, install at your own risk.

wilflare

holding back on Dustforce.

i really like how updates are coming to Steam though. (even if the priority is wrong)
Steam Mobile for Blackberry too please

You helped me out before in a thread, I thought you were cool.

Turns out I was wrong.

: ) Doesn't bother me for some games. Something like a Peggle or even a game like Just Cause 2. But I'm a purist when it comes to gaming. I don't want all of these pop-up notifications all over the place. I also get rid of the HUD in games whenever I can.

Your post lead me to this article, which has some pretty cool videos in it.

Yes this bothers me. Of the few people that have left Valve most seem replaceable, but I'm not so sure that this guy wont be sorely missed. Reading his profile it seems like he specialized in handling physics on a large scale, like the bridge collapse and roof disintegration in Episode 2. One of the many things that stood out in Portal 2 was the way the structures would fall apart or reassemble. I wonder how much of that was his design.

that is probably thread worthy, I saw two bits of of a gaming sequence that are not in any valve game.

also this shit is crazy.

There was already a thread on it.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes this bothers me. Of the few people that have left Valve most seem replaceable, but I'm not so sure that this guy wont be sorely missed. Reading his profile it seems like he specialized in handling physics on a large scale, like the bridge collapse and roof disintegration in Episode 2. One of the many things that stood out in Portal 2 was the way the structures would fall apart or reassemble. I wonder how much of that was his design.

There was already a thread on it.
Were there ever any clues about why he left Valve? My understanding is that their turnover is VERY low.

Quick question. When you receive a gift you are promoted to accept it, or decline it. If you accept it would it offer you the option of adding it inventory?

I'm paranoid about this, because a friend just gifted me dota2 but on my alt account. It would sucks ass if it start downloading immediately. I know you have the options with normal games, i dunno about betas though.

If it was gifted it should be in your inventory where you can either trade it or redeem it. Although this might be different for Dota 2 with all the shenanigans going on with the beta keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom