• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's daily deal is Transformers:War for Cybertron

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42650/

But I wouldn't recommend it since the dumbass developer isn't going to release a pc version of the sequel, so you will be supporting them for nothing i guess.
From what I've read, it doesn't sound like High Moon thinks they can deliver a worthwhile product on PC so they aren't bothering. If they did release a straight console port then they'd be the subject of endless bitching anyways. Guess you just can't win sometimes.

That said, is the PC version of Transformers WFC worth double dipping? I've already got the game on 360, I'm guessing all the PC version has is higher resolutions and an unofficial 60fps patch? Any controller support?

I'm all over that Batman bundle though. Arkham Asylum, Arkham City+all DLC for $29.99 is a steal when you consider that the GOTY edition is $49.99, coming out in September and only has the new Harley Quinn DLC. Buy the new DLC separately and in the end you're still spending less than the GOTY and getting more (Arkham Asylum).

OK, so, judging by Arkham Asylum's fate, Arkham City will have frequent -66% sales thrice every year and its price will significantly drop in a year or so.

I'm thinking about getting it, with just the skins DLC, because I'll like playing with different Batmans. As for the rest of the DLC, I'd be interested if you could bring the character in-game, but since you can't (and since I never really cared about the challenge maps in Arkham Asylum), I'll leave them alone and grab them in a future sale if I end up spending time on the vanilla map packs.

Besides, £12 is what I'd expect to pay for the GOTY edition.

My only question is, how does the game actually play? It was supposedly very unstable with huge frame-rate losses at release.

kurahador

I just got this, first GFWL game. As for GFWL, couple of minutes to set it up, but it doesn't seem bad. I know it has a bad rep that's why I've avoided games with it, maybe there were some early issues with it. I'll get Arkham City later.
GFWL service isn't available for my country. :/

Ah well, guess I'll never be able to play it on pc.

Gemini Rue has updated twice in the last couple of hours. It was meant to be a patch that fixed achievements not working... I don't know if it did that, but the first patch broke save games. Then there was a second patch which was either meant to fix save games or roll back to the previous build, but that has now broken the game entirely and it won't launch anymore. I expect a third patch will be going up soon for this. They're only 200mb patches but that is quite ridiculous.

vall03

I kept on reading that Cherry Tree High Comedy Club will get released on other services "over the next few days". Don't tell me this will go first before eXceed Collection? *sigh*

Gemini Rue has updated twice in the last couple of hours. It was meant to be a patch that fixed achievements not working... I don't know if it did that, but the first patch broke save games. Then there was a second patch which was either meant to fix save games or roll back to the previous build, but that has now broken the game entirely and it won't launch anymore. I expect a third patch will be going up soon for this. They're only 200mb patches but that is quite ridiculous.

Let's hope they finally fix it this time. And then i'll finish the game before they broke it again.

vall03

I just noticed that Arkham City is a weekend deal. I wonder why its still not available in my country when Arkham Asylum is there...

HoosTrax

I'm not a big fan of the AGS engine. I'm sure it makes the job of developing adventure games much easier, but the resolution support seems to be crap (not sure if it's the fault of the developers or the engine here), and I always have strange mouse issues where if I play the game in windowed mode, the mouse cursor is barely responsive and moves like a millimeter if I swing my mouse from one end of my desk to the other. Plus all the compatibility issues with Steamworks.

Edit: And omfg, I got started downloading another 200mb patch for Gemini Rue, right after I already downloaded one.

Yeah I'm on download three now...

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not a big fan of the AGS engine. I'm sure it makes the job of developing adventure games much easier, but the resolution support seems to be crap (not sure if it's the fault of the developers or the engine here), and I always have strange mouse issues where if I play the game in windowed mode, the mouse cursor is barely responsive and moves like a millimeter if I swing my mouse from one end of my desk to the other. Plus all the compatibility issues with Steamworks.

Edit: And omfg, I got started downloading another 200mb patch for Gemini Rue, right after I already downloaded one.
I can attest the resolution thing is an AGS limitation, since it's what stopped me and my team from working with AGS. The source code's available for making changes (so arguably a devoted developer could make a game in any resolution) but it's a mess, Chris Jones himself said it.

Jzero

I was about to post this. Wtf

itxaka

Defeatist
Sooo...

since when it's the Remote Install option available? I just found it today and it blowed my fucking mind. Click button, install it on your PC at home. It sures come in handy!

HoosTrax

I was about to post this. Wtf
I'm just glad I finished the game this weekend. Although I was a little miffed that achievements that should have been unlocking weren't. Maybe once this whole mess is sorted out, I'll give it another playthrough assuming they've managed to fix the achievements this time.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Wooohooo Batman on sale. I don't care much for the skins packs/challenge packs, so screw the GOTY, i'm buying the game right now.

Sanic

I noticed that The Witcher was updating, patch was around ~200MB iirc. I come back to my computer ten minutes later and it's now downloading the entire game again :|

Javaman

How's the Dungeon Defenders community? Still pretty active? I'm thinking about picking this one up.
There are some elitiests but a good chunk of players will help out new players. I would highly recommend playing in single player at least until you beat all the maps on easy and medium. If you join a high level game you'll gain dozens of levels every round (even up to level 70) on insane glitterhelm! Enjoy the low level game. That's where most of the fun is. High level stuff in insane difficulty and nightmare mode just turn into a huge grindfest. The game is my 2nd most played game behind tf2 and it's been well worth the money to me. Once you get one character leveled up it's real easy to level up the rest. The game really opens up once you have a stable of different character to build/fight with. You can change characters out in between waves freely.

Sanic

Orion: Dino Beatdown comes out tomorrow. Anyone looking forward to it? I have this feeling that it's going to be pretty mediocre, mostly due to the somewhat unprofessional manner that the developers have projected, along with seemingly limited content (only 3 dinosaurs at launch). It's also a little unclear to me as to what purpose these "massive" worlds serve when, as far as I can tell, the game is just a survival-type experience like Nazi Zombies or what have you. There's actually not much info available outside of the viddocs that the developers have released.

Still, the allure of hunting dinosaurs is hard to pass up.

edit: Found a video of the game from someone who has a press or kick starter copy: http://www.twitch.tv/dprassel/b/316928254

Looks like it would get stale quick. Not sure what they were thinking with the massive "Wave incoming!" messages.

Salsa

man, i really want Trials Evolution on steam, effin RedLynx partnering with MS

funny thing is that it could still happen

Played some Puzzle Dimension (working my way through my backlog). I really enjoyed it. But, wow, if this game doesn't make me feel like an idiot most of the time. How do I get stuck on the first series of levels? Oh well, it is still beautiful and runs like butter and the music is catchy.

8/10 would buy again.
HvTK5l.jpg

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Lovely, just got trolled by Steam.
Showing me that Arkham City is the weekend deal, I thought it finally released outside Live zones and clicked the ad... which redirected me to front page :mad:

Fuck GFWL and it's region locking stupidity.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Showing me that Arkham City is the weekend deal, I thought it finally released outside Live zones and clicked the ad... which redirected me to front page :mad:

Yeah, I can't buy SFxTk because of this :/

Alex

I bought Arkham Asylum, couldnt get into it on PS3 but will give it another go. If I like it Ill get the sequel in the summer sale or whenever it drops next.

I'm not much of a DLC person, so most of what they're offering for City doesnt look very appealing to me, but is that Harley Quinn one going to be something more significant?

Blizzard

Banned
The DotA 2 thing STILL isn't fixed. I was in a League of Legends game, DotA 2 suddenly started updating, my hard drive started grinding solid, and it took like 30 seconds to even get ctrl-alt-delete to work or bring up the task manager (I don't think ctrl-shift-escape worked either).

Is there any plan to change the update method? I really hope other games than DotA 2 don't start doing this, because I think this is the worst I have ever had my computer be messed up when updates happen.

My computer was frozen for a solid 6 minutes just now. I had to reboot after it was finished too. I really hope they figure out what's causing this and fix it soon. :/

zkylon

zkylewd

Yup. In my region, the bundle costs full price but doesn't include Arkham City. Fuck GFWL.

Played some Puzzle Dimension (working my way through my backlog). I really enjoyed it. But, wow, if this game doesn't make me feel like an idiot most of the time. How do I get stuck on the first series of levels? Oh well, it is still beautiful and runs like butter and the music is catchy.

8/10 would buy again.
HvTK5l.jpg
I got that game on my love of Kula World, but found it so difficult I stopped playing before I saw all the worlds. Very fun, nice production values, I don't think it did especially well which is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom