• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

The first three Blackwell adventure games should be officially released on Steam in a few hours.

I'd imagine that the fourth game, The Blackwell Deception, will also go live either today or within a week or two.

And if you are wondering, GAF, these are top-tier adventure games. You know all of those European adventure games that look AWESOME but wind up disappointing due to lousy writing or a poor translation? You don't have to worry about that here.

Pirabear

Banned
Deus Ex: Human Rev Augmented Edition going 75% off GMG later today ($15) Steam redeemable
http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rpgs/deus-ex-human-revolution-augmented-edition/

Rest of the day's deals
http://blog.greenmangaming.com/2012/01/january-sale-day-13/
Only other Steam redeems are K&L 2 and Shogun 2 (uk)

Ugh, don't want have too many digital transaction accounts, but I might jump into this since I missed getting HR during the Steam sale (it seems cheaper in this sale anyway). How does GMG work, you pay and they give you the Steam key? Or do I need to install a downloader from them (like Amazon)?

Uriah

Ugh, don't want have too many digital transaction accounts, but I might jump into this since I missed getting HR during the Steam sale (it seems cheaper in this sale anyway). How does GMG work, you pay and they give you the Steam key? Or do I need to install a downloader from them (like Amazon)?

They just give you a steam key.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Yeah, just a key. And that's weird about Amazon; I've never had to install anything from them. I just go to Digital Content > Your Games & Software Library and get the keys.

Mupod

Yeah, I haven't heard much good, but still. I like Front Mission, and I like Armored Core...if it was $5 I'd have caved already.

Does Nicalis have any intention of ever updating the Steam version of Nightsky to HD?

I've been interested in that game for a while but really don't want to bother until they release the update. I'm waiting on the Faerie Solitaire HD update. The IOS version is HD and a PC update was mentioned by the developers, but I think they are too busy with their new game to bother.

nny

The Blackwell games are up! If you like point n'click games do give them a try!

(By the way, their order is Legacy, Unbound, Convergence and Deception.)

Scythian

How are the Blackwell games best played? No AA, Fullscreen?
Wanted to try them out but got a little turned off by their low resolution and my inability to run them in a window; but after playing Gemini Rue, I'm interested in giving them another try.

MRORANGE

The first three Blackwell adventure games should be officially released on Steam in a few hours.

I'd imagine that the fourth game, The Blackwell Deception, will also go live either today or within a week or two.

And if you are wondering, GAF, these are top-tier adventure games. You know all of those European adventure games that look AWESOME but wind up disappointing due to lousy writing or a poor translation? You don't have to worry about that here.

Fantastic!

*changes back to grid view...*

tWgv2.png

:D

I love grid view and don't really mind the small icons, but I always find my library on detailed view when I boot up my pc again. So I gave up and kept detailed view.

Jomjom

Banned
Valve really needs to provide a way to upload our own jpgs or whatever for grid view. It doesn't even need to be stored on their servers; I'm fine if we have to store the picture files locally.

Blizzard

Banned
Valve really needs to provide a way to upload our own jpgs or whatever for grid view. It doesn't even need to be stored on their servers; I'm fine if we have to store the picture files locally.
Valve is weird about stuff like that. Do skins still work? I thought back in the day, you could use some sort of XML etc. files to reskin Steam, and that was fine, and you would THINK of all the people working at Valve, someone wouldn't mind people making custom locally hosted grid view game icons.

RetroGreg

I got Zuma Deluxe from Popcap a while back and even though the same exact game is offered on Steam it shows up with a small icon in grid view if I add it to my library. I think that is weird. Steam should let me have the bigger picture.

ezodagrom

The Sonic 4 Episode 1 entry in the Steam registry has been updated quite a few times lately.
In the content entry (app 202531), the Current Version ID has been constantly updated, started at version 0, then 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and now 9.

The launcher entry (app 202530) was updated yesterday with a "Configure" launch option (which means that most likely the game is going to have an external configuration tool), and today the command line for the default launch option was modified from "SonicLauncher.exe" to "SonicLauncher.exe -QuickBoot".

My guess is that opening the game through the "Configure" launch option will open the launcher, where the settings can be changed, while opening the game through the default launch option will just launch the game (quick boot).

The most recent picture from the registry entries:

s4ep1v9.jpg

Symphonic

How are the Blackwell games best played? No AA, Fullscreen?
Wanted to try them out but got a little turned off by their low resolution and my inability to run them in a window; but after playing Gemini Rue, I'm interested in giving them another try.

You just have to look at them as old, classic adventure games and you'll be fine. I've only played the first so far, but I absolutely loved it.

The voice acting is mediocre, but I always turn voice acting off in games like Blackwell anyways.

epmode

You just have to look at them as old, classic adventure games and you'll be fine. I've only played the first so far, but I absolutely loved it.

The voice acting is mediocre, but I always turn voice acting off in games like Blackwell anyways.
The voice acting improves immeasurably* after the first game. The main character in the second is truly remarkable for an independent game like this.

These games are really good, GAF.

*it never reaches something like Grim Fandango, obviously. But it's far better than just about every small independent game I'm familiar with.

Yeah, they're not very long either. I played through the trilogy again earlier this week and got through them in a day. Apparently Deception is much longer though.

Might try & play Dead Space again and actually see if I still hate it and avoid the second one.

There are solutions to the mouse lag if you want to try it with kbam instead of a controller. There's 1 part that is very difficult with a controller though. I used to have people send me their save file then I would beat that part for them with mouse then send the save file back.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
There are solutions to the mouse lag if you want to try it with kbam instead of a controller. There's 1 part that is very difficult with a controller though. I used to have people send me their save file then I would beat that part for them with mouse then send the save file back.

But but all I did was reach over and grab my mouse for that part. Why weren't these people able to do the same?

Finally have a decent gaming PC. Not the best but good enough to run most new games on at least Medium to high.

Shockingly, the reason I bought one was mostly so I could play games like Serious Sam, haha. Game is currently downloading now so I gave some games I already had a go.

Seems to be going great so far. Got Star Wars: TOR installing too! Gonna be a great night!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VintageElise/

Finally have a decent gaming PC. Not the best but good enough to run most new games on at least Medium to high.

Shockingly, the reason I bought one was mostly so I could play games like Serious Sam, haha. Game is currently downloading now so I gave some games I already had a go.

Seems to be going great so far. Got Star Wars: TOR installing too! Gonna be a great night!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VintageElise/

I'm trying to add you but it's not letting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom