• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant be the only one that this bothers.

w32GS.jpg

I have to have Steam friends in multiples of 3 so I don't have any empty spaces.

I rarely ever go to that screen so I haven't let it bother me...yet.

One thing that does bother me is that it shows I have a video when I really don't. I uploaded one for a ticket during the last Summer sale and deleted it when I got it, but it still shows as I have one. They've acknowledged it on the forums as a bug but have yet to do anything about it.

The first three Blackwell adventure games should be officially released on Steam in a few hours.

I'd imagine that the fourth game, The Blackwell Deception, will also go live either today or within a week or two.

And if you are wondering, GAF, these are top-tier adventure games. You know all of those European adventure games that look AWESOME but wind up disappointing due to lousy writing or a poor translation? You don't have to worry about that here.

That reminds me I need to play those (I got them with the second or third indie gala bundle).

Des0lar

will learn eventually
That reminds me I need to play those (I got them with the second or third indie gala bundle).

IndieRoyale ;)

If you need help with Dead Space 2 at US prices ($5) PM me on here or Steam.  I know with EA games I get a few people asking for pricing help anyway, so feel free.

SteamID? :D

Just a reminder for everyone in here: Update your NeoGaf profile with your SteamID, so people can easily find you :)[/QUOTE]

If anyone is interested, I can confirm you can activate the original Dead Space on Origin if you bought it from Amazon. I believe you can do the same with the Steam versión (can't confirm this though), but the key is hidden (google it if you're interested).

I also got this screen. Weird, confusing and very important, aparently.

v7Wos.jpg

Edit: Nope, doesn't work. Origin was just teasing me :mad:

Aww fuck, forget it guys. When I'm in the last window trying to redeem the game it gives me an error.

Damn you EA, contacting support ASAP.

inky

I also got this screen. Weird, confusing and very important, aparently.

v7Wos.jpg

What's confusing about that? Pick your language so the client downloads the appropriate version, which in your case is the last option, as it includes English, French and Spanish languages. Hit the "next" button, then you are done.

What's confusing about that? Pick your language so the game downloads the appropriate version, which in your case is the last option, as it includes English, French and Spanish. Hit the "next" button, then you are done.

Ok, but why do I have to pick a version? That's stupid. The DS2 window was even worse because it had a spanish AND a english version.

Why is this a problem? Because I speak spanish but I like to play games in english, unless it has English VA and Spanish text but it doesn't say anything about that.

inky

I agree with that, and that's just EA being stupid, but many games on Steam do the same thing; Skyrim for example. The other side of the coin is that people too often complain about downloading tons of files for languages they have no use for.
That is the price we have to pay for living in locations which are not properly supported.

I agree with that, and that's just EA being stupid, but many games on Steam do the same thing; Skyrim for example. The other side of the coin is that people too often complain about downloading tons of files for languages they have no use for.
That is the price we have to pay for living in locations which are not properly supported.

Yeah, I understand this. But my complaint with Origin is that once you choose a version there is no going back (as far as I know). Steam let's you change the language at any time if you're willing to download the game again, which is great if you like to test different translations of a game (which I do).

Bottom line, Origin sucks. We already knew this, so let's move along :p

yamo

The beginning is pretty tense, but it really turns into more of an action game after about an hour once you get some decent weapons.

Power through!

Allright, think i'll continue tomorrow though. Playing in the middle of the night, all alone, aint making it less scary.

Chesskid1

Banned
Warhead keys work fine, but I had to contact EA support to get them to add Crysis 1.

yeah, i'm talking to support right now. so far i've gotten them to register bulletstorm (which shows up as LE) and mass effect.

trying crysis 1/battlefield 2/and mirror's edge atm. it takes them like 20 min to look into it, but they come through. me2/shank/alice/crysis warhead just registered with no problem.

i wouldnt bother with this normally, but i will own some origin exclusive games for free basically from amazon, so might as well try to get all my games on it.

goober

So I traded for Titan Quest Gold. But I already have Titan Quest vanilla? What will happen if I open Gold from my inventory?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So I traded for Titan Quest Gold. But I already have Titan Quest vanilla? What will happen if I open Gold from my inventory?

You'll get the expansion (Immortal Throne) and the extra base game will go poof.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I picked up Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising on the Christmas sale because I wanted to try out baby's first Arma for 2.50$. Here are some thoughts:

Goodish Stuff
  • I loved the scale of the game. Missions take place over massive areas and it feels rather authentic in a way that your average real-war FPS can't. It feels really cool to come over the top of a hill and look down upon a massive valley.
  • The weapons felt great for the most part. Sniper rifles and anti-tank launchers feel incredibly powerful, as they should. Some of the basic rifles felt a little underpowered though. Enemies shouldn't be able to take 5ish bullets without obvious impairment ever. I do like that the weapons feel just as lethal against you.
  • I liked that the squad you are with isn't completely brain dead and actively participate in firefights. It's nice being able to send them ahead and have them take out enemies for you. They call out enemy locations as well which is incredibly useful.
  • You remember that Chernobyl mission in COD4? They kinda do something similar here, but it feels a million times more epic because of the scale. Sadly their scripting is a bit ghetto so the immersion can be ruined a bit. Damn if it didn't feel magical at times though.
  • It's certainly easier to get than Arma. Baby's first Arma confirmed.

Bad Stuff
  • The checkpoint system is complete shit. The devs consistently put checkpoints before you travel to some firefight rather than right before the firefight. You can be traveling up to a kilometer or two between fights at times so it's really aggravating. When you have to run the same terrain for 5-10 minutes a couple times over because of the potential to get killed by a single bullet, I consider it shit design. A quicksave function would have alleviated this issue.
  • The game hardly uses any of it's potential. They mapped out this massive island and have a ton of vehicles, but at the end of the campaign I felt as if I had just dipped my toes in. I can think of tons of sweet scenarios I would have liked to see. It will be interesting to see if Arma II's campaign hardly taps into it's potential as well (I have had that sitting on the back burner for a while).
  • The art design is really bland. They got in their heads that draining the color would be a great idea, but it rarely works in a way that looks good. The weapon models look awkward and large too.
  • The FOV is awful and I couldn't find a way to fix it.

Despite the issues and some really terrible things I heard about the sequel I think I am going to grab that on the next Steam sale. I just can't help my curiosity.

Screens (these were the prettiest ones)

ofdr2012-01-1300-07-54flm9.png

ofdr2012-01-1315-59-2byyrk.png

ofdr2012-01-1320-12-0k8xq7.png

So I still have no cursor for the Rockstar Social Club stuff in LA Noire. I wouldn't care about this except that it's required to log in, and access saves. I've had some luck in the past just tabbing through, but that no longer seems to work. Any ideas?

Aselith

Ah man, you got me excited, I've been waiting for a deal on this, it looks great.

It's really, really good. I picked it up after the Holiday sale cause I got a 50% off Ubi coupon and I have loved the game so far. Everything feels really good to me and I love the setting and gameplay. This was my first Anno game and I think it is superb.

Blizzard

Banned
So worth it, some of the best adventure games around.
Yeah, I'm just trying to make myself wait on a sale since I have lots of other games I should play first (like Gemini Rue). I don't care about a backlog, but unless I really want a game, I don't mind waiting on sales to add things to the library. :D

epmode

Yeah, I'm just trying to make myself wait on a sale since I have lots of other games I should play first (like Gemini Rue). I don't care about a backlog, but unless I really want a game, I don't mind waiting on sales to add things to the library. :D
Considering that Deception alone was $15 last night, it's already selling at a sizable discount.

Worth every penny too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom