• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

SAM is a godsend because it circumvents the need to download the game data, which is hugely beneficial for those with restrictive download limits or slower connections... or both.
Or lack of hard disk space, apparently. "Uninstall"? What's that...

Dawg

Something weird is going on with that game. I couldn't find numbers for it on the steam list this morning and it didn't track my 2 hours of game time last night at all. It still looks like I've never played it on my profile. Plus they wouldn't let me upload screenshots since "it wasn't out yet" (what?). Even trying to make them friends only wouldn't work.

This would explain why my screenshots from the press build didn't show up on my activity log. Same thing for achievements and playtime.

HoosTrax

Something weird is going on with that game. I couldn't find numbers for it on the steam list this morning and it didn't track my 2 hours of game time last night at all. It still looks like I've never played it on my profile. Plus they wouldn't let me upload screenshots since "it wasn't out yet" (what?). Even trying to make them friends only wouldn't work.
There was some oddities going on with the release date for the game. I think it was originally the 23rd. Which leads to this:

For example, games that are in closed beta may be accessible to some people, but there are certain Steam community features that are set to "Private", which causes screenshots to be blocked from being uploaded as publicly viewable, no playtime is recorded, and if your friends look at you in their friends list, you will show up as "In-Game", but no game name is displayed.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've given some thought to making a "card idling" program for Steam. Similar to SAM, but instead of allowing cheating, simply sends the commands to Steam saying you have the game open, and every 10 minutes checking the status of your card drops. If you're all done for that game it will open another. Bonus points if it can sort by games with the most valuable cards first. Would really save time in idling.

But I'm kinda busy with Enhanced Steam, so it's probably a project for someone else.
Man, I'd do this manually for $1 per game. Yeah, I value my free time that much :p

SAM is a godsend because it circumvents the need to download the game data, which is hugely beneficial for those with restrictive download limits or slower connections... or both.
That's why you should keep pretty much all your games installed. Of course, in your particular case you'll need a whole data center to storage your stuff, but in the case of a regular Steam user there's no excuse!

Derrick01

Banned
There was some oddities going on with the release date for the game. I think it was originally the 23rd. Which leads to this:

For example, games that are in closed beta may be accessible to some people, but there are certain Steam community features that are set to "Private", which causes screenshots to be blocked from being uploaded as publicly viewable, no playtime is recorded, and if your friends look at you in their friends list, you will show up as "In-Game", but no game name is displayed.

Ah that explains it I guess, although I was able to see my friend playing it last night too. But yeah none of those other things were working right.

On a side note the game is pretty fun so far. I want to keep playing it now but I'm afraid I'll lose track of time and miss the Sony conference in an hour and a half lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
is sam worth of a ban?

My problem now is that with that software the prices of the cards will tank faster, in the other hand, should be cool since I want to craft total war badges

Not if you're just using it to idle. Unlocking achievements is another thing -- in the past, Valve didn't care at all about people using saves to unlock achievements, but its stance may have changed in light of the revamped Steam Community and the achievement showcase.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That looks absolutely terrible. Why make a Garfield kart racer now? What relevance does that brand really have these days? And it doesn't even have Orson's Farm in it. Ridiculous.

They should just be DLC Characters for Sonic All Star Racing Transformed.

We already got Danica Patrick, so why not.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Not if you're just using it to idle. Unlocking achievements is another thing -- in the past, Valve didn't care at all about people using saves to unlock achievements, but its stance may have changed in light of the revamped Steam Community and the achievement showcase.

Also, does Valve really ban? Because I know a lot (A LOT) of people that cheated for years online and I don't see them banned.

fantomena

bildvonxcom_898594_650x.jpg

From Gamereactor.no. A journalist saw it.

JaseC

I'd like to think that ex-IW guys have the same pull as the fine peeps at Bungie and were able to make a deal with EA about that. Who honestly wants to go with Origin over Steam?

Well, optimistically, when Respawn was asked on Twitter about a Steam release, the person was just told that distribution arrangements will be detailed in the future, so at least there was no outright rejection of the idea.

Or lack of hard disk space, apparently. "Uninstall"? What's that...

To be honest, I just assume that anybody idling for cards has a dedicated games/Steam drive. ;) Sure, if you have a large library, you can't keep everything installed, but in such cases, say, a 2TB drive is more than enough to keep installed the games you're actually playing while having the free space to juggle card games and the like.

DukeBobby

On a side note the game is pretty fun so far. I want to keep playing it now but I'm afraid I'll lose track of time and miss the Sony conference in an hour and a half lol.

Good to hear. I was planning to get Splinter Cell: Blacklist this Friday, but I might get Saints Row instead. The more I hear about it, the more interested I am.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I do always enjoy when there is another ban wave and cheaters go on the Steam forum either trying to justify their actions or threatening Valve with legal action.

chronomac

As far as I know, just running a little behind due to an onslaught of people using the my loot function :)

Just got my message. Thanks.

Speaking of which...here are some Origin codes:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Burnout Paradise -- MB-364CEBD7BBEA1A28 - Taken by The_Monk
Crysis 2 -- MB-97DDBF40B0A02A5F - Taken by Dawg
Medal of Honor -- MB-6C944D825297C644 - Taken by Iron Badger
Mirror's Edge -- MB-92028840620D7965 - Taken by sibarraz
Dead Space -- MB-D749F43010ED1CAC

Slyjss

At last! Steam Codes. I also have a 90 % on Hamilton's Great Adventure, if someone wants it. Would appreciate a card in exchange, but not mandatory.

ModBot said:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mirror's Edge -- MB-98BC6CAAD5B0C4E8
Dead Space -- MB-6A17F875B53ECAA8 - Taken by The_Monk

I'm really tempted to purchase the Early Access for Sir, You Are Being Hunted but the last few weeks have already been disastrous for my wallet :/

bildvonxcom_898594_650x.jpg

From Gamereactor.no. A journalist saw it.

This was rumored as some sort of expansion to EU. Wonder what it'll be.

Well, optimistically, when Respawn was asked on Twitter about a Steam release, the person was just told that distribution arrangements will be detailed in the future, so at least there was no outright rejection of the idea.

So there's still hope! I guess I'll just have to wait.

JaseC

Also, does Valve really ban? Because I know a lot (A LOT) of people that cheated for years online and I don't see them banned.

VAC bans are done in waves, IIRC, though I'm not familiar with how long they last -- in Steam's early days the period was a year. In regard to Steam accounts in general, these days Valve restricts account functionality rather than banning outright so users who have transgressed can at least still access their games.

Edit: Apparently, VAC bans have been permanent since 2005.

Edit edit: As Sinine says, VAC bans and Steam account restrictions are entirely separate.

Kuroyume

Banned
Edmund is clearly trolling. Post video. Not even check a few minutes after to get check reactions. I mean the video is probably real but he's enjoying just leaving people hanging.

kafiend

Huh, my badges list seems a lot smaller for some reason. A lot of the games for which I got all my card drops vanished from the list...

It promotes games you have recently played. In card terms, all the early games that you got cards for will be gone from the list unless you have played them for other reasons (you freak).

Edmund is clearly trolling. Post video. Not even check a few minutes after to get check reactions. I mean the video is probably real but he's enjoying just leaving people hanging.

Nicalis is doing the Port right? Why havent they already uploaded the trailer? Well... its because Mcmillen is trolling.

Mairu

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg

Sol Survivor -- MB-3DE18B548A81716D - Taken by fantomena
extra key from indie royale

Li Kao

With all the hype for Saint's Row IV I'm contemplating beating myself up for skipping on the Deep Silver bundle a few weeks ago. SR II and SR III full package, ugh...
I know I didn't buy it because I didn't want Dead Island, but there were surely individual key.
What a moron.

On a side note I just begun AC: Revelation. Boring tutorial and same old abysmal meta story. Let's hope for a same old fun time on roofs.

Fireblend

Banned
With all the hype for Saint's Row IV I'm contemplating beating myself up for skipping on the Deep Silver bundle a few weeks ago. SR II and SR III full package, ugh...
I know I didn't buy it because I didn't want Dead Island, but there were surely individual key.
What a moron.

On a side note I just begun AC: Revelation. Boring tutorial and same old abysmal meta story. Let's hope for a same old fun time on roofs.

These were the 3 keys provided with the bundle:

• Risen 2, Sacred 2 Gold, Saints Row 2, and Saints Row: The Third
  • Dead Island GOTY and Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (DLC)
  • Metro 2033, Risen, and Sacred Citadel Steam Key

Omega

Banned
Salsa got banned for the tumbleweed gif?

Man should have been tagged or modded. It was the perfect response to a new Fable announcement

Grief.exe

Alright guys, got my jarate made this morning
iced tea
and ready to play some Spelunky and F.E.A.R. before class.

Salsa got banned for the tumbleweed gif?

Man should have been tagged or modded. It was the perfect response to a new Fable announcement

You gotta be careful in those threads, they are just mass banning right now to trim the heard.

Stay in the Steam thread where its safe.

Does Origin register old CD keys? I just found my Command & Conquer: Red Strike CD set and it would be nice to convert it to a digital format.

Li Kao

These were the 3 keys provided with the bundle:

• Risen 2, Sacred 2 Gold, Saints Row 2, and Saints Row: The Third
  • Dead Island GOTY and Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (DLC)
  • Metro 2033, Risen, and Sacred Citadel Steam Key

Mmh, I could not have totally avoided Dead Island then. Still, moron, moron, moron.
The one and only modern PC gaming rule, always buy bundles ^_^

Edit - Ugh, sorry, not a stellar new page first post ( '-_-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom