• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

System Shock 2, never played it I heard it was amazing, is it worth the 6$ for that bundle???

If that's the only game you want its been cheaper. As low as 2.50 actually and will probably hit that price again during the winter sale. I haven't played it yet but GAF consensus seems to put SS2 as a must play expierence.

System Shock 2, never played it I heard it was amazing, is it worth the 6$ for that bundle???

It's the game that influenced a lot of FPS games that came after it, especially Bioshock. But yeah, it'll be 2.50 in the next holiday sale, so unless you're interested in other games in the bundle, I'd wait.

Sajjaja

Gravestone quote confirmed.

wobQw.gif

Mattiator

Thanks for all the friendly advice, I will decide when the wife and kid go to bed, it's looking like a yes! Just for the duke also....

Ill try to get around to giving something back tonight...

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
Just wanted to say that I recently made the jump back to a windows PC and have been itching to get in on the steam deals! I bought a laptop i7 with a intel HD 4600 and I know I won't be able to play anything heavy but I mainly wanted to play all these kickass indies. Haha, kind of forgot why I was writing again... Just wanted to say hello I guess!

Jawmuncher

Just wanted to say that I recently made the jump back to a windows PC and have been itching to get in on the steam deals! I bought a laptop i7 with a intel HD 4600 and I know I won't be able to play anything heavy but I mainly wanted to play all these kickass indies. Haha, kind of forgot why I was writing again... Just wanted to say hello I guess!

We welcome back from wherever you were at.
You'll definitely be able to get in on the indie love which is what I'm doing on my laptop as well. FTL by the way if you haven't played it yet is amazing. I'm hooked since buying it from HB.

Turfster

Hi. Keep an eye open for the bundles. There's stuff in the humble bundles and indiegala you should be able to run without trouble.

FauX

Some question, I've finished downloading System Shock 2, I was about to play it but it doesn't even start, steam doesn't pop up any issues dialog box. I'm on Win7, am I missing something?

Sajjaja

Pretty sure you can play BF3 with a 4600. The 4600 from Intel is not a bad integrated by any means. It's not great, but it'll do the job.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
We welcome back from wherever you were at.
You'll definitely be able to get in on the indie love which is what I'm doing on my laptop as well. FTL by the way if you haven't played it yet is amazing. I'm hooked since buying it from HB.

Honestly, Rogue Legacy and FTL and a few others are the main reasons jumped back from a mac. I had a 2007 intel imac just a bit to old and I was tired of dual booting. I am planning on picking up Rogue Legacy this weekend. I need to order a MS 360 adapter.

Pretty sure you can play BF3 with a 4600. The 4600 from Intel is not a bad integrated by any means. It's not great, but it'll do the job.

Would it be better then playing on the 360? I've played countless hours on the 360 and don't know if I can make the transition to be honest. Thanks for the info though!

Jawmuncher

Honestly, Rogue Legacy and FTL and a few others are the main reasons jumped back from a mac. I had a 2007 intel imac just a bit to old and I was tired of dual booting. I am playing on picking up Rogue Legacy this weekend. I need to order a MS 360 adapter.

Nice. I've been enjoying both of those games as well. Indies sure are getting better and better as a whole. Which is good for everyone.

Sajjaja

Honestly, Rogue Legacy and FTL and a few others are the main reasons jumped back from a mac. I had a 2007 intel imac just a bit to old and I was tired of dual booting. I am playing on picking up Rogue Legacy this weekend. I need to order a MS 360 adapter.

Would it be better then playing on the 360? I've played countless hours on the 360 and don't know if I can make the transition to be honest. Thanks for the info though!

What are your laptop specs and I guess I could speculate, or even perhaps find a video with similar specs. But I have seen the desktop version of the i7 graphics 4600 play BF3 smoothly at console or even slightly above console level graphics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88Qz9pzQJY

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
What are your laptop specs and I guess I could speculate, or even perhaps find a video with similar specs. But I have seen the desktop version of the i7 graphics 4600 play BF3 smoothly at console or even slightly above console level graphics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88Qz9pzQJY

Umm... Don't know what matters spec wise but its a Toshiba Satellite i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz and 8GB ram (planning on upgrading to 16GB soon) Its got a second hard drive slot so I might throw in a mSSD. I keep hearing they are amazing. Its got a 750GB HDD. Win8.

Hopefully that covers everything that you need to know.

Sajjaja

Umm... Don't know what matters spec wise but its a Toshiba Satellite i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz and 8GB ram (planning on upgrading to 16GB soon) Its got a second hard drive slot so I might throw in a mSSD. I keep hearing they are amazing. Its got a 750GB HDD. Win8.

Hopefully that covers everything that you need to know.

You could probably run it at low/medium settings and get around 30FPS, but for that you might as well stick with consoles (unless of course you want the larger maps and player count and stuff). But again, it's only my poor speculation, feel free to try it.

Grief.exe

I watched the Angry Joe review for Rome 2 earlier today, its crazy how much CA fucked up, but it seems like they did a lot right as well.

An argument could be made that Sega rushed them out 6 months early.

damaph

Honestly, Rogue Legacy and FTL and a few others are the main reasons jumped back from a mac. I had a 2007 intel imac just a bit to old and I was tired of dual booting. I am planning on picking up Rogue Legacy this weekend. I need to order a MS 360 adapter.

Apparently it runs okay on the iGPU. Heres a video of it running 1680X1050 lowest setting at an average of 43 fps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPH6_eTktY4 That is the desktop i7 not the notebook version though. You will get 64 players multiplayer and full sized maps on PC. I think BF3 on console is sub 720p, but I have no idea how it really compares to the 360 though.

edit: Desktop HD4600 runs at 1250MHz while the mobile version runs at 1150MHz so there's not a big difference. Console version of BF3 runs at 1280x704. The guy in the video has his iGPU overclocked so the video posted in Sajjaja's post is more accurate.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting my ass handed to me in Dota 2 by bots...

And I still haven't received my Paranautical Activity Steam key from Groupees. Whatever. Tempted to get Rogue Legacy then, which I may end up doing despite it being only 40% off.

I'm getting my ass handed to me in Dota 2 by bots...

And I still haven't received my Paranautical Activity Steam key from Groupees. Whatever. Tempted to get Rogue Legacy then, which I may end up doing despite it being only 40% off.
yea dota 2 is totally a game you can just jump into and dominate

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
Apparently it runs okay on the iGPU. Heres a video of it running 1680X1050 lowest setting at an average of 43 fps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPH6_eTktY4 That is the desktop i7 not the notebook version though. You will get 64 players multiplayer and full sized maps on PC. I think BF3 on console is sub 720p, but I have no idea how it really compares to the 360 though.

Thanks for the info. I will probably just stick with the 360 as you said. I've put way to many hours into and most of my friends play on 360.

Now the viking game looks amazing!. I grew up on 8 bit and 16 bit games. I honestly think that is what's so appealing about the indie games. Just reminds me of a different era of gaming that I kind of want back. Don't get me wrong I love the modern stuff but there is something so simplistic about the old stuff, be it graphical style or mechanics.

Based upon Euro-physics made popular during the PSX era and not the superior Japan-physics from the NES era.

bah-Bah!

If I press down once to crouch, then release it and press the attack button, the sweep will still come out. It'll only restore my attack to the neutral attack if I press either right or left

EDIT: Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKkSfTmpXeg

I don't think it's supposed to work like that... what's your controller?

I watched the Angry Joe review for Rome 2 earlier today, its crazy how much CA fucked up, but it seems like they did a lot right as well.

An argument could be made that Sega rushed them out 6 months early.
Something is seriously wrong with the optimization, I tried to change the graphical settings to improve the shitty framerate on the campaign map. Tried low, medium and high, no significant fps change, can you believe that?

chronomac

I have a mid-2007 Macbook Pro and the Rogue Legacy demo ran terribly on it (via Windows 7 in Boot Camp). I have another laptop from work with an i5, 4GBs of RAM and integrated graphics and I have to put it on a really low resolution to run at a stable frame rate. Go with the 360 unless you're planning on building a machine soon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have a mid-2007 Macbook Pro and the Rogue Legacy demo ran terribly on it (via Windows 7 in Boot Camp). I have another laptop from work with an i5, 4GBs of RAM and integrated graphics and I have to put it on a really low resolution to run at a stable frame rate. Go with the 360 unless you're planning on building a machine soon.
This sounds awful. Is the game really that badly optimized?

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member

I don't know how the demo compares to the actual game but it runs pretty well for me. I get 60 fps and upwards(using fraps). Resolution is 1920 x 1080 so I am not that worried about it. If it becomes a problem ill drop the resolution. Thanks for the heads up though. I should add I have it set on whatever the highest graphical setting.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure. My Mac has a Core 2 Duo (2.53 GHz), 4 GBs of RAM and a GeForce 9400M GPU. Neither of my laptops are all that powerful but you'd think that they could run a game like Rogue Legacy. Nope.
My PC is only better in the graphics card department, so I'm not sure how well (or bad) it'll run there. Now you got me worried :/

mannerbot

My PC is only better in the graphics card department, so I'm not sure how well (or bad) it'll run there. Now you got me worried :/

My desktop's got a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo and basically an integrated graphics card, and it runs Rogue Legacy without issue. I highly recommend Spelunky over it though!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My desktop's got a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo and basically an integrated graphics card, and it runs Rogue Legacy without issue. I highly recommend Spelunky over it though!
Nah, I tried the free version and didn't like it. And from what I've heard, the remake/HD version/sequel doesn't sound like something I'll enjoy.

Same with La-Mulana, but I'm curious about that one so I'd still like to try it when it's cheap enough.

maneil99

Something is seriously wrong with the optimization, I tried to change the graphical settings to improve the shitty framerate on the campaign map. Tried low, medium and high, no significant fps change, can you believe that?

What are you running, my 780 chugs in big battles to single digits at times, kinda silly. 3570k is at 4.6, don't want to bump it to 4.7 until winter

Not sure. My Mac has a Core 2 Duo (2.53 GHz), 4 GBs of RAM and a GeForce 9400M GPU. Neither of my laptops are all that powerful but you'd think that they could run a game like Rogue Legacy. Nope.

The only problem with Rogue Legacy is that it uses shaders. Therefore you need a decent GPU to run it.

Spelunky for example runs nicely, even on a mediocre hardware (I could run it on a 1st gen Core i3 laptop with an integrated GPU).

Khronico

Just finished The Whispered World. Like I said before, it's a charming, wonderful game, and the story was touching (I did NOT expect that ending). The game is a treat for the eyes as well, each scene is lovingly detailed. Slight caveats: The puzzles are inane the majority of the time, and the voice acting isn't super great. Other than that, I highly recommend everyone try it out.

Just finished The Whispered World. Like I said before, it's a charming, wonderful game, and the story was touching (I did NOT expect that ending). The game is a treat for the eyes as well, each scene is lovingly detailed. Slight caveats: The puzzles are inane the majority of the time, and the voice acting isn't super great. Other than that, I highly recommend everyone try it out.

I really love that game, but the main character's voice is simply horrendous. It made me so much want to kill him! Hopefully, you can turn off the voice acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom