• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

You mean I've got to stand up and walk the short distance to my PC to push the power button?

God damn..

Well that or set your pc to hibernate and then remap the sleep key into something like x-padder or Set-Point but then you would have your pc on in the first place and never actually turn it off plus would be eating away at a couple of gigs of hdd space. All in the name of convenience.

vazel

Banned
You mean I've got to stand up and walk the short distance to my PC to push the power button?

God damn..
I'm pretty sure you can setup your PC to go in and out of sleep mode with your 360 controller using Eventghost. I used to do that with my MCE remote.

BioShock 2 uses GFWL doesn't it?

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say every single game I own that uses GFWL has caused me at least some issues. Arkham City reached a point where it become almost unplayable for me and I'm entirely blaming GFWL for that.

Yep, GFWL and Securom. This is the first time I've ever actually ran into problems with GFWL. Usually I luck out and everything runs smoothly.

Yay, manually patching fixed it. For now.

My couple of questions for the day a new one and an old one:

1-Someone posted some pages back a list of improvements to the Steam client for the BETA. AMong then was something like 50% less memory usage or something. Has this been put into effect in this last update we got?

2-I asked a page back sorry for repeating. Does the saves of DRM free version of Painkiller Black work with the Steam version?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks guys, why do they choose shady names like that?

Because it's not a public-facing thing.

Bootstrapper: A process that builds up or launches other processes ("pull yourself up by your bootstraps")
buildbot: They use an automated build system to produce new builds so there's less effort on developers part to incorporate new changes into the client
win: Windows
slave: A process that's subordinate to some other, master process (presumably the main Steam client process)

There's nothing shady going on :p

Kurtofan

Because it's not a public-facing thing.

Bootstrapper: A process that builds up or launches other processes ("pull yourself up by your bootstraps")
buildbot: They use an automated build system to produce new builds so there's less effort on developers part to incorporate new changes into the client
win: Windows
slave: A process that's subordinate to some other, master process (presumably the main Steam client process)

There's nothing shady going on :p

I see, thanks for the explanation.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man, it feels good to be back online. I will never trust offline mode ever again. That shit sucks.

Have I missed anything over the past month? The only notable release I can think of is DmC and that's not very notable. I guess I don't really need to spend any money when there's a MASSIVE Chivalry update to play.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh man, it feels good to be back online. I will never trust offline mode ever again. That shit sucks.

Have I missed anything over the past month? The only notable release I can think of is DmC and that's not very notable. I guess I don't really need to spend any money when there's a MASSIVE Chivalry update to play.

Antichamber is the only notable title that comes to mind, but you've missed the early bird discount.

So at what point does Spec Ops: The Line elevate itself above and beyond being a fairly generic and average third person cover-based shooter? I've played it for nearly an hour and so far my reaction is the desire to simply uninstall the game.

didamangi

Indie Gala Store has some new bundles on sale, including:

The Whispered Cargo Bundle

PAY WHAT YOU WANT minimum $0.99 AND GET:
- Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (DRM Free)
- Airline Tycoon Deluxe (DRM Free)

BEAT $3.99 AND GET ALSO:
- The Whispered World (Steam)
- Cargo! The Quest For Gravity (Steam)

$0.99 and you can get the first Edna & Harvey game to complement the 2nd one which is on the Be Mine Anniversary bundle plus a very good (albeit old) tycoon game too.

Enco

So at what point does Spec Ops: The Line elevate itself above and beyond being a fairly generic and average third person cover-based shooter? I've played it for nearly an hour and so far my reaction is the desire to simply uninstall the game.

Played it due to hype and finished it in 4 hours. I sped through it on purpose and it wasn't that stunning. The ending was interesting but apart from that it was just ok. Not bad but not amazing.

Caerith

I've not played it, but the consensus is that the game is mechanically mediocre in service of the narrative.
Just set the difficulty to easy. Spec Ops: The Line's strengths are its environments, atmosphere, and characters. The gameplay never exceeds average-ish.

Is Castle Crashers any good? Gameplay seems fun.
People love it but it never gelled with me. Humour was bad, hit detection was iffy, and it became an issue determining when the enemy you were juggling was actually dead. It also does that whole "beat 'em up with a leveling system so as to make challenge meaningless" that I don't care for.

It would never elevate from that. What some people find engaging about the game are aspects related to plot and to some extent atmosphere.
If the story and characters don't grab you after THAT scene (you know it when you play it, Chapter 8 or 9 I think), I guess it's best to give up. That being said, the gameplay is indeed, much like others mentioned, fairly mediocre. However, I believe that's actually the point. Spec-Ops tries to get you as the player comfortable in that stereotypical US-special operative role at first, giving you a few missions to that makes people think they're playing yet another shooter mowing down dozens after dozens of enemy soldiers. But after a few chapters the story starts making less sense, and the lines between the players actions and the characters and story are starting to blur. It's a critique on modern shooters in a way, and the ending had me thinking about it for some time afterwards. It's not a perfect shooter, but never tries to be nor pretends that it's that. If you're looking for that, check elsewhere, but if you're willing to stick with it a bit longer, you might like what you find.
About that, is not some genious critic through gameplay on the devs part, the mechanics are mediocre because they could't make anything compeiling. Doing something like what you sugest here would be the dumbest move to make in a medium like this like since the creation of Tennis for 2.

Nakayumi

If the story and characters don't grab you after THAT scene (you know it when you play it, Chapter 8 or 9 I think), I guess it's best to give up. That being said, the gameplay is indeed, much like others mentioned, fairly mediocre. However, I believe that's actually the point. Spec-Ops tries to get you as the player comfortable in that stereotypical US-special operative role at first, giving you a few missions to that makes people think they're playing yet another shooter mowing down dozens after dozens of enemy soldiers. But after a few chapters the story starts making less sense, and the lines between the players actions and the characters and story are starting to blur. It's a critique on modern shooters in a way, and the ending had me thinking about it for some time afterwards. It's not a perfect shooter, but never tries to be nor pretends that it's that. If you're looking for that, check elsewhere, but if you're willing to stick with it a bit longer, you might like what you find.

Tizoc

Oh shi! Someone gifted me DotA 2!
Can I accept the gift and add it to my Steam inventory for trading/selling later? IF so how do I do that?

JaseC

Oh shi! Someone gifted me DotA 2!
Can I accept the gift and add it to my Steam inventory for trading/selling later? IF so how do I do that?

Accepting the gift yields you the option of either redeeming the item or saving it to your inventory.

Twinduct

Just another reminder for everyone to not buy non-steam games from GMG. Capsule might be the slowest download assistance program ever.

Tizoc

Capsule dls fine for me, then again it's prob. just my ISP.

Accepting the gift yields you the option of either redeeming the item or saving it to your inventory.

Thanks, this is the first time I accept gifts, before it was just Redeem codes ^_^;

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Just uninstall it and watch Apocalypse Now and call it a day.

Dr Dogg

Consider yourself lucky then :p
Whilst I continue to wait another 4 hours for my 700mb download :<

Ah Green Man Games and their insanely slow speeds. Have you ever tried to log in to their site when they've had a free games promo or a to good to be true offer? I swear their servers are hooked up to an old 56k modem.

Twinduct

Ah Green Man Games and their insanely slow speeds. Have you ever tried to log in to their site when they've had a free games promo or a to good to be true offer? I swear their servers are hooked up to an old 56k modem.

lol those days are the worst. Their deals are good, their servers shite.

JaseC

Just uninstall it and watch the theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now and call it a day.

Elaborated.

Yeah, that's GMG for you. Even on the best of days the most basic of functions are dreadfully slow. I couldn't even tell you the last time I typed a name into the search form and received an automated suggestion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know whether to buy Brütal Legend now or wait for a better discount, as it releases the same day as Runner 2 and I've already bought that one, which I'll be playing day one.

What do you guys recommend? I have no idea how long will Runner 2 take me, and maybe BL is so good that it's worth getting it now.

Dr Dogg

I don't know whether to buy Brütal Legend now or wait for a better discount, as it releases the same day as Runner 2 and I've already bought that one, which I'll be playing day one.

What do you guys recommend? I have no idea how long will Runner 2 take me, and maybe BL is so good that it's worth getting it now.

Well I picked up Brutal Legend in a heartbeat and will probably pick up Runner 2 at a later date or on a sale (still got the 1st and Beat to go through) but I wanted BL and at will def go through the SP as soon as it's available so -25% was a no brainier. That and having a toy around with the MP beta was an incentive for me.

JaseC

RTS segments aside, I quite enjoyed Brutal Legend. There's a generous amount of SP content and the game also has one of the best main menus of this gen.

Blizzard

Banned
I picked up Brutal Legend with the soundtrack, even though I don't really care for or know much about metal, since it looks like a game with a really creative environment and a good bit of love put into the details, plus I'm happy it's getting a PC port and want to support that.

I got excited when I was able to start downloading today, but then I found out that it's the multiplayer beta only. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom