• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

Anyone know if a Steam pre-order will grant you access to the Bioshock Infinite: Industrial Revolution game/site and how?

Need a pre-order code, but I don't have one.

edit: nvm, you just click through and it works it out, somehow.

edit2: ahh, steam login once you register.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
picked up Brutal Legend because I am a huge Double Fine dickrider.

I picked up Brutal Legend with the soundtrack, even though I don't really care for or know much about metal, since it looks like a game with a really creative environment and a good bit of love put into the details, plus I'm happy it's getting a PC port and want to support that.

I was going to wait for a sale, because I recently (2-3 months) bought Brutal Legend for the 360 and didn't even touch it.

Then I noticed that, if it gets a sale soon, it'll probably be a 50% off sale. Which means I would save a whooping 7 dollars.

I can give 7 dollars to Double Fine without any regret. So I bought it. Because they deserve my 7 dollars!

Dr Dogg

Before I do that I want to see if they keep their promise and disable the 30 fps cap.

From what I've read over at their forums it seams a bit more complicated than just lifting a cap. Due to the engine being designed to run at 30fps all the physics are expected to run at that rate and just uncapping it would cause chaos. Chris Remo posted on here a few days ago saying it's more than likely but as of an hour ago it was still at 30.

dk_

From what I've read over at their forums it seams a bit more complicated than just lifting a cap. Due to the engine being designed to run at 30fps all the physics are expected to run at that rate and just uncapping it would cause chaos. Chris Remo posted on here a few days ago saying it's more than likely but as of an hour ago it was still at 30.

Well, I based my hopes on Remo's comment. Such a shame!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I think you're misinterpreting what is being said.

They've said that they will definitely be removing the 30fps lock in the engine.

They've said that they will back-port this engine enhancement to their previous games.

Now, the problem is that your comment sounded like you were suggesting that the 30fps lock was arbitrary and that it was as simple as changing a line of code or adding something to an ini. Dr. Dogg, I think, was responding to that part of your post, by saying that it isn't some easy process they've just been too lazy to do. It will require work. Work they've promised to do.

So, nothing has changed from where you originally were, if, for some reason, you do not take Double Fine's word that they're going to lift the 30fps lock at face value

Dr Dogg

Well he said they hoped to have this implemented by the end of the beta which is roughly in 10 days time (their targeted release date) but there are a few other bugs that I'm sure they're more focused on right now. I've had some horrendous slowdown when certain effects are present and I doubt this game is pushing my 480 that hard, well I'd hear its jet engine fan if it was.

dk_

I think you're misinterpreting what is being said.

They've said that they will definitely be removing the 30fps lock in the engine.

They've said that they will back-port this engine enhancement to their previous games.

Now, the problem is that your comment sounded like you were suggesting that the 30fps lock was arbitrary and that it was as simple as changing a line of code or adding something to an ini. Dr. Dogg, I think, was responding to that part of your post, by saying that it isn't some easy process they've just been too lazy to do. It will require work. Work they've promised to do.

So, nothing has changed from where you originally were, if, for some reason, you do not take Double Fine's word that they're going to lift the 30fps lock at face value

How are there 2 opinions about that statement?

It's pretty straight and there's nothing to misinterpret. Apparently they promised lifting the cap in the past and never delivered. I should've known better!

i84kF2JwVeikX.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Dude your quotes are like 3 days old. How impatient can you be?

It's been said a million times, it's not an easy thing to do, they'll have to retune physics, animations, cutscenes, etc. etc.

I can give 7 dollars to Double Fine without any regret. So I bought it. Because they deserve my 7 dollars!

Really should have donated that $7 to something like a cancer research organisation. Not only can they save lives but they also have a better chance of releasing a good game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Really should have donated that $7 to something like a cancer research organisation. Not only can they save lives but they also have a better chance of releasing a good game.

Damn. Curing cancer was just 7 dollars short?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well I picked up Brutal Legend in a heartbeat and will probably pick up Runner 2 at a later date or on a sale (still got the 1st and Beat to go through) but I wanted BL and at will def go through the SP as soon as it's available so -25% was a no brainier. That and having a toy around with the MP beta was an incentive for me.
RTS segments aside, I quite enjoyed Brutal Legend. There's a generous amount of SP content and the game also has one of the best main menus of this gen.
You sold me at "best main menu" :p

I'll think about it, I still have a week and change to go. I'll probably get it, as a friend has been hyping me about that game since it came out on consoles 3 years ago (or is it 4?)

Dr Dogg

What exactly is the MP in Brutal Legend? Team death match only? Or does it have coop modes as well?

I would say babies first RTS but it seams more of a hybrid of third person strategy game with Pikmin/Overlord squad system with the only thing similar to an RTS is purchasing units. It's 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 and matches play out like CoH/DoW node capture but nothing to complicated. To be fair though it's the single player and the soundtrack that made me pick it up. Though I will say that the UI is horrible if you're playing with k & m as it's clearly designed for a gamepad (circular menus, function keys spread out all over the place) and I've gone retro and had to make my own key layout template to work out where stuff is although keys are rebindable.

zkylon

zkylewd
Okay, I'll wait until it's released.
That's the spirit!

You sold me at "best main menu" :p

I'll think about it, I still have a week and change to go. I'll probably get it, as a friend has been hyping me about that game since it came out on consoles 3 years ago (or is it 4?)
And he's right, dat main menu is one of my favorite things of the game hah.

I really liked it on my PS3, even the RTS parts, though you could really cheese through them on normal.

I'm holding on for a sale since I already have it on my PS3, but it's a pretty cool game, as an outsider it really transmitted to me Tim's heavy metal love to the point I bought a couple albums and never listened to them haha.

Blizzard

Banned
Damn. Curing cancer was just 7 dollars short?
Basically, Valve has prevented cancer from being cured by tricking people into spending $7 on games instead. :p

I'm listening to parts of the Brutal Legend soundtrack (it shows up in your Steam folder if you got the special edition or whatever). Spirit of Bladehenge is my favorite so far.

Alright then, I've been playing Spec Ops on hard to see if it would make the game at least a little more interesting. If the strong points of the game revolve around pure content tourism I'll simply drop it down to normal or easy and try to hammer through it in short order.

I bought Brutal Legends, but was unaware that all licensed music will not appear in game. I understand the reason, but don't recall reading that in the description.

Jawmuncher

I bought Brutal Legends, but was unaware that all licensed music will not appear in game. I understand the reason, but don't recall reading that in the description.

Oh really?
That was probably the best part of the game. aside from everything that had nothing to do with the RTS parts. But that's just me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It has all the music, unless you're referring to the "soundtrack" edition which only comes with the original score for the game. If you thought tacking $3 onto your game purchase was going to net you a 50+ song licensed soundtrack then you're a fool.

masterkajo

Just finished Mark of the Ninja. Wow, what a fantastic game! Perfect stealth gameplay, good enough story (actually quite liked the ending - especially how it was presented) and wonderful 2D animation and art.

It took me around 15 hours for my initial No Kill playthrough. Will try New Game Plus next but this time I won't show mercy if someone is in my way.

Also, so far it seems I hold the highscore in each level among my (gaf) friends. If someone feels up to the challenge and thinks he is a better Ninja than me, feel free to add me as a friend: http://steamcommunity.com/id/masterkajo

dreamfall

I keep picking games up, and wonder why I never play anything! Picked up Spider-Man for that cloud swinging and Magical Diary for the charm?

Sigh. Steam is so awesome , yet I just can't seem to say no!

Blizzard

Banned
There's what I assume is licensed music playing during the multiplayer beta. I just tried it. There doesn't seem to be any option for configurable keyboard controls, unless it's in a config file somewhere. The fps for me hovered in the 30-40 fps range and the settings mention 60 Hz vsync as an option, but I guess the engine could be rendering at 30 fps behind the scenes.

Also, I very much did not expect the intro video and menu screen...

I keep picking games up, and wonder why I never play anything! Picked up Spider-Man for that cloud swinging and Magical Diary for the charm?

Sigh. Steam is so awesome , yet I just can't seem to say no!

I dubbed this the "Steamtitis", it just can't be helped, heh. Also, sometimes I simply call it the "Steamtits".

I've seen some people buying on Steam just because the purchase shows in their friend timelines whereas activating a key from another website/seller won't do that. Such a simple move works wonders, haha!

ngt

Excellent. Better yet with friends. No clue about the quality of the PC port but I haven't heard any complaints either.
Castle Crashers is great, PC is definite version.
People love it but it never gelled with me. Humour was bad, hit detection was iffy, and it became an issue determining when the enemy you were juggling was actually dead. It also does that whole "beat 'em up with a leveling system so as to make challenge meaningless" that I don't care for.

Thanks guys, decided to pick it up after all. Got few friends willing to play as well so it might be a great fun :)

lmpaler

Yep, GFWL and Securom. This is the first time I've ever actually ran into problems with GFWL. Usually I luck out and everything runs smoothly.

Yay, manually patching fixed it. For now.

I was debating on starting this or not on my PS3 since I got it for free, I swear PS+ is the best $50 I have ever spent, or waiting until the PC is built to really see the game shine. DRM problems are lame so let me know how it goes, I may just play it on the console to avoid the potential for any issues.

1-D_FTW

Digging Kingdom of Amalur. Atmosphere is fantastic. I don't have to say why I think it's fantastic, cause you know why. But I really like it.

Saige

I must do better.
So I forgot that I have some Paradox keys I don’t need,

Crusader Kings 2 with most of the DLC (everything minus Republic and 2 music packs)
Europa Universalis III: Chronicles

Anyone want them?

Grief.exe

I was debating on starting this or not on my PS3 since I got it for free, I swear PS+ is the best $50 I have ever spent, or waiting until the PC is built to really see the game shine. DRM problems are lame so let me know how it goes, I may just play it on the console to avoid the potential for any issues.

Bioshock 1 and 2 are pretty poor ports.

2K makes a substantial part of their revenue from the PC platform now, so their ports have gotten considerably better.

So I forgot that I have some Paradox keys I don’t need,

Crusader Kings 2 with most of the DLC (everything minus Republic and 2 music packs)
Europa Universalis III: Chronicles

Anyone want them?

I've always wanted to try CK II and get into grand strat games.

If someone is a huge fan, but doesn't have the money I would rather the game went to them though.

HoosTrax

What's the difference between Brazilian and Portuguese?

Oh that reminds me...did it really take 5th Cell this long to translate Scribblenauts from American English to real English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom