• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Borderlands 2 can be if you only chase the objectives and in a group.

Playing solo the game ramps up the difficulty pretty regularly and steeply. Where I am at the moment there's a 3 level jump between me and the recomended level of the next story mission. It's like the game wants to force you to either co-op it or go and down a bunch of side quests first for the XP.

I don't know if there's anything inherently wrong with wanting you to do either of those things but it's not exactly all that condusive to me finishing the game.

ive been playing Maya with the middle tree (health based one) and im almost at the end and I have to make an effort in order to die. I get health from basically everything I do, constantly

but I do get what you mean

Euro Truck Simulator 2 on GMG is the same one they showed on Giant Bomb with that amazing Quick Look, right? I figure it is, but the different price they both go for (10$ difference) throws me off a bit. I figure this is a stupid question, but I wanna make sure before I potentially buy it later today.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Euro Truck Simulator 2 on GMG is the same one they showed on Giant Bomb with that amazing Quick Look, right? I figure it is, but the different price they both go for (10$ difference) throws me off a bit. I figure this is a stupid question, but I wanna make sure before I potentially buy it later today.

It's the same game. It was on sale for it's steam release, but that period is over.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, MotionInJoy is evil. I finally bought a 360 pad, and every game I tried to use it with would crash almost instantly. This was troubling to say the least, since it could have been the result of a fucked up GPU. A Google search lead me to a few forum threads that described the same problem. Turns out MotionInJoy was causing this.

That's bad enough, but the real problem is that MiJ did not want to be uninstalled. Uninstalling the program through my control panel and deleting it's files didn't work. I had to uninstall the drivers under my device manager TWICE before it stopped auto-installing itself along with my 360 pad drivers after restarting the PC. It would not go away.

I think I killed it's drivers this time, but the program is still showing up on my task manager. It was nice to save $40 and use a dualshock with my PC games but I'd recommend ponying up the cash and avoiding MiJ if you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

On a side note, it's nice to finally have a 360 pad. There are few things in life that feel better than gripping a brand new controller. Them sticks is tight.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why yes, yes it is.
That tiny thing with awkward handle shape, pinching inner corners, indented main stick (vomit), shitty peg for a second stick, tiny awkwardly placed d-pad, and awkward shoulder buttons? Okay buddy, whatever flips your switch...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tried Euro Truck. Is it not meant for me. I can't not go offroad, or ram other cars, or drive down the wrong side of the road, but the game does't seem to want me to play that way. I ended up getting stuck out in the middle of a field, blocked by invisible walls in front of me, and I was unable to turn around without crashing into myself. Awesome.

That tiny thing with awkward handle shape, pinching inner corners, indented main stick (vomit), shitty peg for a second stick, tiny awkwardly placed d-pad, and awkward shoulder buttons? Okay buddy, whatever flips your switch...

It's basically Homer Simpson's car re-imagined as a gamepad.

HoosTrax

The GC does have a better D-Pad than the 360, on the other hand.

I was rooting around in my box of old console gear, and I found a white GC controller in there somehow (I do not own a GC). I must have bought it for my Wii. Along with a Dualshock 2, DC, and Genesis pad. Trying to find something to work through my backlog of platformer games with, although I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a GC-to-USB converter.

Dr Dogg

The GC does have a better D-Pad than the 360, on the other hand.

I was rooting around in my box of old console gear, and I found a white GC controller in there somehow (I do not own a GC). I must have bought it for my Wii. Along with a Dualshock 2, DC, and Genesis pad. Trying to find something to work through my backlog of platformer games with, although I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a GC-to-USB converter.

I think the GC pad is one of two halves. I love the d-pad, the left analog stick was so precise especially for Monkey Ball, the triggers are almost as good as the Saturn 3D pad ones and the big A button is a good natural rest. On the other hand though the C Stick is a slippery pain, the X and Y buttons don't feel right to me and the Z button is the stiffest, most awkward POS ever designed.

Rufus

I must be an anomaly in that I find the c-stick to be a lot less slippery than the main stick. The textured surface offers more grip than the rings on the main stick. I think they reduce the surface area too much.

Trying to find something to work through my backlog of platformer games with, although I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a GC-to-USB converter.
There are. Though they are probably harder to find these days. Play-Asia only has this one right now:
http://www.play-asia.com/GC_Controller_Adapter_for_PC_USB/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-4sqd.html

I own an older one that also takes XBOX and PS2 controllers.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Titan Quest is crazy long, but an incredible ride top to bottom.

I love this game. Co-opped it with my boyfriend back at release and then again when Immortal Throne came out. Then AGAIN not long ago on Steam with some friends from GAF when there was a sale, though unfortunately none of them stuck around long enough for me to complete it a third time (only ~14 hours). I'd like to find a partner willing to play through it again with me someday.

The graphics have held up amazingly well and the skill/build system is easily my favorite of any loot game, period. Fun fun fun.

Speaking of loot games I'm currently co-opping Sacred 2 Gold LAN and having quite a bit of fun, though the skill system and story are lacking compared to Titan Quest I'm enjoying the non-linearity and exploring one of the largest worlds I've ever seen (~10% of map uncovered at 40 hours of play). It feels good to not be funneled through the world and able to explore where I want when I want, and if something is too tough for me then I simply get my ass kicked. Graphics are great as well.

HoosTrax

There are. Though they are probably harder to find these days. Play-Asia only has this one right now:
http://www.play-asia.com/GC_Controller_Adapter_for_PC_USB/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-4sqd.html

I own an older one that also takes XBOX and PS2 controllers.
Yeah I have USB converters for PS2 and original XBOX as well. I appreciate them going Bluetooth + USB for the current generation though.

Curse Nintendo and their proprietary interfaces though. I was thinking that the Wii Classic looks ideal for 2D platformers:

ea62c0a398a0a5194c71b110.L._SX300_.jpg

I rather liked the version of that DPad that's used on the DS -- worked out well for all of my GBA and DS Castlevania games.

Speaking of loot games I'm currently co-opping Sacred 2 Gold LAN and having quite a bit of fun, though the skill system and story are lacking compared to Titan Quest I'm enjoying the non-linearity and exploring one of the largest worlds I've ever seen (~10% of map uncovered at 40 hours of play).
Gonna look into this at some point. I have Sacred 1 Gold, but it's pretty dated.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I love this game. Co-opped it with my boyfriend back at release and then again when Immortal Throne came out. Then AGAIN not long ago on Steam with some friends from GAF when there was a sale, though unfortunately none of them stuck around long enough for me to complete it a third time (only ~14 hours). I'd like to find a partner willing to play through it again with me someday.

The graphics have held up amazingly well and the skill/build system is easily my favorite of any loot game, period. Fun fun fun.
Wait a bit longer and you should have no problem finding someone to play Grim Dawn with. Same development team essentially, and they have stayed in touch with the dedicated TQ fanbase and seem to have developed a really good idea of what makes the magic happen. Should be amazing.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wait a bit longer and you should have no problem finding someone to play Grim Dawn with. Same development team essentially, and they have stayed in touch with the dedicated TQ fanbase and seem to have developed a really good idea of what makes the magic happen. Should be amazing.

Didn't even know this project existed, thanks for the heads up. If the skill system is half as awesome as TQ I'm sure I will love it.

Edit: Reading about it now and it sounds promising.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I've had my eye on this for a while now and I think it's time to bite.

Thinking the same, even if I still have a huge Holmes backlog on Steam -.- Is it much better/different than the older games or should I just finally go try the Ripper/Nemesis/Awakened?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Speaking of loot games I'm currently co-opping Sacred 2 Gold LAN and having quite a bit of fun, though the skill system and story are lacking compared to Titan Quest I'm enjoying the non-linearity and exploring one of the largest worlds I've ever seen (~10% of map uncovered at 40 hours of play). It feels good to not be funneled through the world and able to explore where I want when I want, and if something is too tough for me then I simply get my ass kicked. Graphics are great as well.
I haven't played it yet, but I'm in for some co-op goodness with a fellow GAFfer. Just add me on Steam if you don't have me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/rionaam/, anybody else can feel free to add me too) and ring me up when you feel like playing.

Tizoc

Thinking the same, even if I still have a huge Holmes backlog on Steam -.- Is it much better/different than the older games or should I just finally go try the Ripper/Nemesis/Awakened?

Well it's your typical Point n' Click game with the option for a 1st person or 3rd person view for exploration.

Wok

I have finished Max Payne 3, and this is the first game of the trilogy which I have played. During the first hour, I thought the game was awful: no selection of the screen resolution before the first cinematic scene, no way to pass the scene, awful visual effects (white flashes, blue/red stereoscopic vision), words which appear on the screen randomly during the dialogues, storytelling which gets boring really quickly (first person narration from an unimpressed veteran among drug-addicts and stupid offsprings of rich family), unnecessary gory violence during the last bullet, game design which consists in shootings and cinematic scenes, etc. However, I got used to the game (not to the violence though) after the scene in the stadium and I could enjoy the atmosphere brought by the music and the visual effects during the rest of the game. Although the story is foreseeable and taken from the most brainless action movies, there is still something addicting in the words used for the storytelling, and I can feel there is even some auto-derision, partly through movie references (maybe even Dirty Harry), since there is too much of everything (action, violence, irony, horrible crimes). In the end, I think the gameplay is limited, close to Kane & Lynch II, but I come to enjoy the audio, the writing and the visual effects.

Blizzard

Banned
Can you still work around it by bringing up the overlay and manually resuming the downloads?
Yeah, Steam has been doing this for ages and previously I was able to resume it by alt-tabbing or maybe using the overlay. I don't know if that's still possible though.

Exuro

I really don't like that steam is pausing my downloads when i open a game.
They made a flag for devs to mark their game singleplayer so dls wouldnt pause. It's a pretty terrible way to do it. Should give users control of that.

esai

They made a flag for devs to mark their game singleplayer so dls wouldnt pause. It's a pretty terrible way to do it. Should give users control of that.

it use to be fine before. I have the bandwidth to play and download. it really should be player controlled.

What have you done to me people!?!?! I caved and bought FTL from the dev site.

Where is that FTL image you guys used to post to describe the game? I need to save it.

I just went exactly through every single stage of that image!!!!!

My Bongwagon became space debris... :( Time to restart!

ShaneB

What have you done to me people!?!?! I caved and bought FTL from the dev site.

Where is that FTL image you guys used to post to describe the game? I need to save it.

I just went exactly through every single stage of that image!!!!!

My Bongwagon became space debris... :( Time to restart!

You smartened up and bought FTL! Good for you :)

JustinBB7

Just double checking, I want to buy Sleeping Dogs story/mission content. So that's Nightmare in North Point and Zodiac Tournament right? I know it's asked a lot, but just making sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom