• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Dark Forces, Shadow Warrior, Jedi Knight 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, Unreal, NOLF 1 & 2, FEAR, Shogo, AvP2, XIII, Call of Duty 1 & 2, Medal of Honor Frontline, Rainbow Six 3, Goldeneye, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, different kind of stuff like Descent 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Portal 1 & 2, Thief 1-3... Then you know there is some newer stuff that's kind of shitty but kind of fun, too. You know, the kind with the guns that you shoot and the guys die and its fun.
Bah, neither of my personal two favorites made it on the list (Soldier of Fortune II, Far Cry)

derExperte

It's pretty much impossible to pick your favorite pc fps.

For me it's indeed HL1. Complete it again every few years, holds up like few other games from the 90s. Opposing Force too, while Blue Shift is short enough to just run through because why not? Hm, I wonder if SiN is still worth it and I haven't gone back to Unreal 1.

vazel

Banned
Once again Steam didn't delete the free weekend files. I had to go into the Steam folder and manually delete all 4GB of it.

HoosTrax

Once again Steam didn't delete the free weekend files. I had to go into the Steam folder and manually delete all 4GB of it.
This is intentional so that you don't have to redownload if you buy later on down the line. I ended up appreciating it when I finally got around to buying Civ V.

vazel

Banned
This is intentional so that you don't have to redownload if you buy later on down the line. I ended up appreciating it when I finally got around to buying Civ V.
But what if you don't buy it down the line? All those GBs are just sitting there not being used.

I don't think it's intentional. The Chivalry beta left files in my Steam folder but when I bought the retail game it created all kinds of weird bugs. I had to delete the folder and redownload again.

HoosTrax

All those GBs are just sitting there not being used.
Which is also true for games you've completed. Regardless, the default behavior for a computer program should usually not be to delete data arbitrarily off people's hard drives without their input.

As far as the other thing -- "verify integrity".

vazel

Banned
Which is also true for games you've completed. Regardless, the default behavior for a computer program should usually not be to delete data arbitrarily off people's hard drives without their input.

As far as the other thing -- "verify integrity".
Once the free weekend is over the entry for the game in my Steam list disappears and so I never had the option to delete the game from within my Steam client. I have to go into the Steam folder to manually delete it.

If it wasn't for me digging around my Steam folder I would never have known these free weekend files were still sitting there since they do not show up in my Steam client.

And yes, I did try verify integrity for Chivalry. It didn't work.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Dark Forces, Shadow Warrior, Jedi Knight 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, Unreal, NOLF 1 & 2, FEAR, Shogo, AvP2, XIII, Call of Duty 1 & 2, Medal of Honor Frontline, Rainbow Six 3, Goldeneye, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, different kind of stuff like Descent 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Portal 1 & 2, Thief 1-3... Then you know there is some newer stuff that's kind of shitty but kind of fun, too. You know, the kind with the guns that you shoot and the guys die and its fun.
I like you. I'd also add Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life 2 (didn't like 1 either, but the sequel and episodes are really good), Borderlands (haven't finished it yet), Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 3, Rainbow Six 1, SWAT 3 and the Metroid Primes, but it's a great list nevertheless.

Sorry to be so spammy about Unreal Tournament, it's one of my favourite pack of games ever, I have the big retail box for UT, I still remember how much I hugged it after playing the glorious demo optimized for 3Dfx cards, lol. 3Dfx, anyone remembers?

So, if anyone needs more convincing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oE8heI-Ozc

Fucking TURBINE TIME! That map, the speed, the pew pew, flak cannon, shock rifle... Point of no return. Chats back then were: Insta Gib Mutator, Turbine, high volume. FIRE.

UT has such a great soundtrack. Also, fucking Xan.
I'm waiting for a 75% off sale on them. 66% is not enough, despite how much I like UT2k4.

Soldier of Fortune was soooooo satisfying for the time.

It's pretty much impossible to pick your favorite pc fps.

I wish MoH Allied Assault was on steam. Favorite menu music is easy though.
I love you, that song is like an orgasm in my ears. Fucking awesome game, the assault on Normandy is one of my favorite levels in any game.

Soldier of Fortune 2 was a nice game from what I recall, but I never finished it. I think I made it as far as the jungles in Colombia, found it too hard and then forgot about it.

Does Steam have any decent platformers with a moderate difficulty level?

I never really found myself enjoying Super Meat Boy, but I'm itching for some really solid platforming. Either 2D or 3D.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I never really found myself enjoying Super Meat Boy, but I'm itching for some really solid platforming. Either 2D or 3D.

Rayman Origins is a lot tougher then it's cute exterior would lead on, it's also completely fantastic.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is also pretty good and quite tough.

Dustforce.

Have it. Got a bit too difficult for me to continue with. Such a shame too since I loved many of the earlier levels.

Rayman Origins is a lot tougher then it's cute exterior would lead on, it's also completely fantastic.

Giana Sisters: Twister Dreams is also pretty good and quite tough.

I shall check both. Do either of those games have 3D sections? I'm really looking for at least one awesome 3D platformer to try. They can't ALL be on the Wii.

HoosTrax

I'm actually playing through Sonic Generations, and the game feels substantially easier than Sonic 1 and 2 were for me back in the day when I was like 7? Maybe I just didn't have the patience for it back then, or it's because games these games are just easymode in general due to the save features, but it feels much more forgiving as long as you aren't trying to beat S-rank times. The level design in the first two levels is very similar to the corresponding levels for the original games, so it's not that they made the levels easier.

I'm kind of preferring the classic 2D mode more than 3D though.

3D platformers? This post has only one answer then: Psychonauts.

Oh come on. I have that one lol. Who doesn't.

I'm actually playing through Sonic Generations, and the game feels substantially easier than Sonic 1 and 2 were for me back in the day when I was like 7? Maybe I just didn't have the patience for it back then, or it's because games these games are just easymode in general due to the save features, but it feels much more forgiving as long as you aren't trying to beat S-rank times.

Yeah I have Sonic Gens too. Love it. Absolutely love it.

So besides Psychonauts and Sonic Gens, does Steam have any good 3D platformers?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Where did Salsa get a copy of DMC for his playstation Vita?

Stealth joke list? Frontline is a piece of shit compared to Allied Assault. And it's a piece of shit in general. The game just feels horrible to play.

Tizoc

Yeah I have Sonic Gens too. Love it. Absolutely love it.

So besides Psychonauts and Sonic Gens, does Steam have any good 3D platformers?

Well there's Alice Madness returns but suffers from stage being unnecessarly long.

Relax.MX

Well there's Alice Madness returns but suffers from stage being unnecessarly long.

Yes.. But the game is actually good, the art is great and the end of the game is crazy I don't know why nobody was mad like usually happen in this kind of stuff

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Stealth joke list? Frontline is a piece of shit compared to Allied Assault. And it's a piece of shit in general. The game just feels horrible to play.
I had a lot of fun with Frontline on PS2. The key is being a methodical psychopath who does things to a level of completely unnecessary perfection.

Tizoc

Hmm that game tends to be pretty cheap during sales though. Might as well try it.

Oh and I totally forgot: Tomb Raider Anniversary. Granted its not necessarily a Platformer, but has elements of it, so def. try it!
Otherwise, check gog.com they have a few 3D platformers as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I had a lot of fun with Frontline on PS2. The key is being a methodical psychopath who does things to a level of completely unnecessary perfection.
Whatever keeps you from being the season's antagonist on Dexter is okay in my book.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Let me see. Maybe inMomentum? Or Jet Set Radio, if you can consider it a platformer.

That won't happen until the Summer Sale.
I can wait. There's no lack of games on my library right now :p

Oh hell yeah. Tiny & Big is bitchin. Once you like understand the language of their level design it's a real pleasure.
Right. Hell Yeah! is cool as fuck, an awesome 2D platformer/metroidvania/WarioWare meets Jazz Jackrabbit (some people say it's similar to Earthworm Jim, but I think it's more like JJ2).

Tizoc

Yes.. But the game is actually good, the art is great and the end of the game is crazy I don't know why nobody was mad like usually happen in this kind of stuff

I did enjoy playing it for the most part on the PS3, but the length of the chapters was irritating and me wonder when this thing'll end lol.

DmC is probably the best game Ninja Theory has made to date, I guess that may or may not be saying much depending on what you thought of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. DmC is far from being the worst game in the series, I think nothing will ever take the crown from DMC2 but it's also pretty far from being the best Devil May Cry, it's just too easy. It takes almost nothing to get the higher rank combos and it's been a total breeze on its highest difficulty level. Based off of what I have played, DmC is the action game equivalent of a greasy cheeseburger. It seems to occupy that same awkward median as Hitman: Absolution depending on you history with the series, or lack thereof.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
DmC really surprised me tbh. I despise Heavenly Sword and Enslaved with a passion but overall had a good time with DmC. Capcom obviously gave them a few lessons in combat design. Still a bit gutted it was designed for 30fps and I really don't like the colour coded bullshit but overall I really enjoyed it. Looks absolutely gorgeous too on PC.

Bit of a random question here, any word on a release date for Rise Of The Triad remake ? I'm chomping at the bit so bad for that. Big part of my childhood that game (well that and most Apogee/3D Realms games)

Aaron

I've never thought of any of the Devil May Cry games difficult, but more to make insane combos and rack up big scores. Ninja Gaiden is difficult. DMC's only real difficulty is the camera.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
How is Ridge Racer Unbounded? The whole pack is currently a deal over at GamersGate

Well it goes without saying that it's nothing like Namcos Ridge Racer games, it's very much a BugBear game at heart. Really liked the handling and drifting/boost mechanics and how bastard hard it can be. I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than Most Wanted/Forza Horizon last year but then my opinion on driving games always seems to be out of whack with everyone else. The only problem I'd have with it would be that a lot of levels can look very similar due to the modular way the tracks are put together (which is used in the create a track mode), you can see this in how small a size the game is to download. The create a track mode is pretty fun though to mess around with.

I am looking forward to BugBear going back to their roots though, more Flatout please!

Sarquiss_

Has anyone had any issues with Steam Achievements for Sleeping Dogs not being unlocked? I have finished the game twice now and still have not got a couple of achievements which should have been unlocked by story missions :(

I want my 100% :'(

Has anyone had any issues with Steam Achievements for Sleeping Dogs not being unlocked? I have finished the game twice now and still have not got a couple of achievements which should have been unlocked by story missions :(

I want my 100% :'(

Yeah from memory some are bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom